Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Links, Resources, Glossary and FAQs

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

If I may be so bold. These are good sources(IMHO) with different translations of each passage. Searchable too, which may prove useful for people.

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/reference/searchhadith.html

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

You should give more descriptions for the links. For example: "Nasheed Artists" is totally meaningless to me. People tend to blank out links they don't know about.

This thread it to post a link to a thread where a question has been asked more then once.

Nominating a thread.
    1. First establish that the question has been asked more then once.

2. Find the post/s that answer the question already and create a post here listing them.

3. Point future users to the FAQ. They are welcome to continue the conversation if they believe it is a different topic.

• Advertisement

Wikipedia gives a very good breakdown of Islam (for those who are not familar with it).

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Suff

The Holy Quraan is a reciting and not a reading book.
    If anyone is interested in hearing the way it should be recited please find below a link to one of the most beautiful reciters.

Meshary Rashid Al Afasy
    Thank you

Also a link to a Great application, it’s called Quraan Viewer, you can have the Arabic text with a translation beside it. Recommended when you listen to the sura to open the corresponding sura in the Quraan viewer.

Holy Quraan Viewer

Example …..AL-Fatihah in the audio link
    open the Holy Quraan Viewer on the same sura (AL-Fatihah) to read the translation while you listen to it.
    Nice experience.

Regards
    Suff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 zaksweb

I am a visiting user. This is my first and last post Insh-Allah. Ramadan Mubarak!

Updates to some links above.

www.geocities.com/zaksweb no longer hosts zaksweb!

Please visit: www.zaksweb.net

Click on Religion > Islamic Centre > ....

Also visit the Forums. Insh-Allah.

If you like to see the Taraweh prayers in Mecca for this Ramadan and last year Ramadan Please Visit the following link

I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND to view "1425 Night 28.rm" it contains the prayer when completing the recitation of the Quraan. Very imotional.

This year's prayers are also there but will get updates with prayers from past night soon inshallah.
    Salaam

• Advertisement

Zaksweb looks like spam posting. Unless someone can give me a reason not to it will be removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,229 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Hobbes wrote:
    Zaksweb looks like spam posting. Unless someone can give me a reason not to it will be removed.
    It's just correcting a couple of links in Poblachtach's post, I wouldn't think it's meant as spam.

Ok fixed up Poblachtachs post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 zaksweb

forgive me if it seemed like spam but i was actually correcting the links - these forums aint that bad and its clever how it shows like this and the grey version. :) happy ramadhan..

Help me...

Salaam Aleiykom : Peace be upon you
    Waleiykom Salaam : You too ...
    Alhamdullilah : Praise to the God
    Insh'allah : God willing
    There is no god but god : la illahe ilallah

Thats all i can think of :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Osman

Peace,

Hiyyak Allah
    When greeting someone after Salaams
    Translation: May Allah greet you

Bismillah arRahman arRahim
    before making a beginning
    Translation: In the name of Allah most Gracious most Merciful

Jazak Allah Khieran
    for expression of thanks
    Translation: May Allah reward you with blessings

BarakAllahu feekum or Allah baraka fiki
    responding to someone’s thanks
    Translation: May Allah bless you

Fi Amanullah
    by way of saying good-bye
    Translation: May Allah protect you

Subhaanallah
    for praising something
    Translation: Glory be to Allah

Insha Allah
    for expressing a desire to do something
    Translation: If Allah wills

Astaghfirullah
    repenting for sins before Allah
    I beg Allah for forgiveness

Masha Allah
    for expressing appreciation of something good
    As Allah has willed

Alhamdulillah
    for showing gratitude to Allah after success or even after completing anything
    Praise be to Allah

Ameen
    the end of a Dua or prayer
    Translation: May it be so

Sal allahu aleihi wasallam
    whenever say the name of Prophet Muhammad
    Translation: Peace be upon him (S.A.W.)

Alaihi salaam
    whenever say the name of a prophet
    Translation: Peace be upon him (A.S.)

Radi Allah Anhu
    whenever say name of male companion of the Prophet (Sahabi)Translation: May Allah be pleased with him (R.A.)

Radi Allah Anha
    whenever say name of female companion of the Prophet
    Translation: May Allah be pleased with her (R.A.)

Radi Allah Anhum
    Plural form of saying companions of the Prophet
    May Allah be pleased with them (R.A.)

Innaa lillaahi wa innaa ilayhi raaji'oon
    this is uttered as an expression upon hearing the news of some loss or some one's death
    Translation: To Allah we belong and to Him is our return

aathama allaho ajrakom
    uttered to family of deceased
    Translation: may Allah make your ajer "reward" great

Shukr Allaho sayikum
    uttered to people who attend aaza - when friends go to send condolences upon death of a person
    Translation: May Allah accept that your effort

La hawla wala quwata illah billah
    during the time of troubles
    Translation: There is no strength nor power except Allah

Regards,

Osman

Sticky mods?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Osman

Peace,

http://www.beconvinced.com
    - Information about Islam for believers and non-believers. Articles and audio and
    video resources on topics including women, science, comparative religion e.t.c. An excellent website, I fully recommend it.

http://www.understanding-islam.org
    - Information about Islam in the light of Qur'an and Sunnah. Questions are asked with detailed responses. I am a part of their forum.

http://www.islamtoday.com

Articles on contemporary issues, news, and ethical and legal matters. Includes a section on discovering Islam.

http://www.allaahuakbar.net

A website with a wealth of information and a great resource for learning about Islam. The colour is hardly attractive though :D

These are my main recommendations but there are a lot more that just haven't sprung to mind.

Regards,

Osman

The Best Application on the web for muslims!

it's an Athan Aplication that would call the exact prayer times with over 6 million cities around the world to choose from.
    the best one is the Mecca athan.

its free
    here's the Download Link

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭the_new_mr

http://www.islam-guide.com
    Excellent website with a short but sweet introduction to Islam in a number of languages. Good for quick reading. Downloadable PDF document available as well.

http://www.islamonline.net
    Very comprehensive Islamic site dealing with everything from a detailed introduction to Islam and Muslims to fatwas (religious rulings on particular matters) and current events.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Discover Islam Web TV - Webcast from Bahrain

Salam!

A couple of more links.

www.islamicfinder.com
    Very good site with all sorts of cool stuff. Main cool feature is the athan program which plays the sound of the athan at the time of each of the prayers according to your location in the world.

www.elasalaty.com
    A site for a program similar to the athan program called Ela Salaty. Has more options than the athan program but is unfortunately currently only available in arabic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Avapxia

This is a good website for Newbies

www.sultan.org

The Quran in Arabic and English with a number of different
    translations with recitations for both. Excellent website!

http://www.quranexplorer.com/quran/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

Large collection of Qur'an recitations at

http://english.islamway.com/bindex.php?section=erecitorslist

First link on the reciters' list is a recitation with each verse in Arabic followed by an English version.

Some of the reciters provide recitations for only a few Suras, but if you explore you can find complete recitations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Hobbes wrote: »
    Wikipedia gives a very good breakdown of Islam (for those who are not familar with it).
      Islam

I have just finished reading the wiki entry for Islam and I have to say it one of the most interesting things that I have ever read. I really didn’t have any prior knowledge of the teachings and the beliefs and I must say that it has just motivated me to learn more about the fascinating religion I think I shall give myself a task to read maybe one article everyday for the next week.

Although I'm a big fan of wikipedia myself (who isn't these days? :)), I tend to take a bit of care whenever I'm reading about a sensitive subject such as religion or politics. May I suggest www.readingislam.com? It's an excellent resource for information on Islam and most of the stuff on it is very well written.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Thought Id put this up here for anyone thats intrested.Theres a good few events on Islam occuring in Dublin universities across the next few weeks:

http://ucdsu.ie/cms/smf/index.php?topic=175.0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

I came across this comprehensive bibliography (114 pages) quite recently:

Islamic Studies: A Bibliography

The bibliography contains books in English, written by a wide range of both academic and general authors. Note that the bibliography is aimed at non-Muslim students looking at Islam from the outside, so it would be particularly helpful for those studying Islam in a comparative religion context or examining society, economy and politics in the Middle East and other predominantly Muslim parts of the world.

The bibliography was prepared by Patrick O'Donnell, who teaches Philosophy at Santa Barbara City College.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

Salaam,

Here is a very good copy of a translation of the Qur'an. It has an explaination of the meaning of each Surah also which is very helpful

http://al-quraan.org/read-quran-online-c-4.html

Advertisement