Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Diesel cars on Vegatable Oil?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

carveone wrote: »
    Aside: I loved the quote from a Fiorsceal episode a month or so back about the end of the oil era. "I think the post oil era will be a very nice place to live. For the survivors anyway."
    you could probably swap "post oil" for "post US" too if you wanted to. :)

anyway, back on topic.

where's the cheapest place to buy veg oil in meath/dublin?

in the UK it seems to be the 1L bottles of own brand in tesco's (seemingly cheaper than the likes of aldi & lidl at present) but I'm just curious of prices in Ireland.

ta.

well, I've done it.

I picked up the new motor at the weekend and have just put 15L of tesco's veg oil in it last night with about 60L of diesel and it's running like a dream so far.

They only had 5x 3L bottles of the stuff in the local tesco, so I had to make do, I had planned on using about 30-40L of veg oil, but I guess it's better to start low and work your way up, just in case.

The car is a 1996 2.8TD Jap import Pajero and part of the reason for getting this motor in particular was knowing that it will run well long term on both veg oil and biodiesel with very little in the way of modifications.

to start with it'll be SVO from the supermarkets, but then I'll migrate to cleaning my own WVO and then on to (hopefully) home made bio diesel once I've gathered enough info to do it properly (and safely).

Anyway, she's running like a dream already, the engine is quieter and more responsive and there is only a tiny bit of a non-diesel smell from the back end, altho I expect that to increase with higher ratio's of oil in the tank.

i know some paj's have problems with black smoke due to the EGR valve being clagged up but i have a particuarly well maintained car so I never had anything but white smoke anyway, although I've read that veg oil helps alleviate the black smoke.

things I know to keep an eye out for are fuel filter blockages as the veg oil will clean out the diesel clag from the tank and pipes and it can get stuck in the filter, and also long term some of the rubber seals and pipes can be degraded as SVO is a little bit acidic. If it's a problem though there are veg oil safe replacements available.

it will only be an issue while i'm using SVO tho, as bio-d is made pH neutral anyway as part of the conversion process.

wish me luck :D

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Dopey

vibe666 wrote: »
    well, I've done it.

I picked up the new motor at the weekend and have just put 15L of tesco's veg oil in it last night with about 60L of diesel and it's running like a dream so far.

They only had 5x 3L bottles of the stuff in the local tesco, so I had to make do, I had planned on using about 30-40L of veg oil, but I guess it's better to start low and work your way up, just in case.

The car is a 1996 2.8TD Jap import Pajero and part of the reason for getting this motor in particular was knowing that it will run well long term on both veg oil and biodiesel with very little in the way of modifications.

to start with it'll be SVO from the supermarkets, but then I'll migrate to cleaning my own WVO and then on to (hopefully) home made bio diesel once I've gathered enough info to do it properly (and safely).

Anyway, she's running like a dream already, the engine is quieter and more responsive and there is only a tiny bit of a non-diesel smell from the back end, altho I expect that to increase with higher ratio's of oil in the tank.

i know some paj's have problems with black smoke due to the EGR valve being clagged up but i have a particuarly well maintained car so I never had anything but white smoke anyway, although I've read that veg oil helps alleviate the black smoke.

things I know to keep an eye out for are fuel filter blockages as the veg oil will clean out the diesel clag from the tank and pipes and it can get stuck in the filter, and also long term some of the rubber seals and pipes can be degraded as SVO is a little bit acidic. If it's a problem though there are veg oil safe replacements available.

it will only be an issue while i'm using SVO tho, as bio-d is made pH neutral anyway as part of the conversion process.

wish me luck :D

Fair play to you vibe666. You mentioned that the Pajero was your choice because it required very little modifications to run on veg oil. Which mods to you have to make?

Keep us updated how you get on.

it depends on how much oil you want to use. this time of year you can use up to 30% veg oil with no conversion, but in the summer, or in warmer parts of the world anything up to 70-80% without modification, although there's some question as to how long you can do this for without causing engine problems.

the general consensus is that long term the only real option is a twin tank system where you start on normal diesel for 5 mins then switch to 100% veg oil for your journey before switching back for a minute or two so the fuel system in the vehicle has normal diesel flushed through so it starts okay next time after it's cold.

other options are fuel heaters of various sorts, either electrical or using the heated engine coolant to heat the fuel before it gets to the pump and/or injectors.

fortunately for me, I've found a local supplier of 'proper' certified bio-diesel (from WVO) at 95c per litre (duty paid) so I might not bother as this will make my fuel costs more than acceptable and makes me 100% legal on the road and makes the car 100% carbon neutral so I'm happy. :)

no conversion needed at all (on my Pajero and a lot of other cars) to run it on 100% BD either, which is a bonus.

I had her running on 30% veg oil for 2 tanks but she was slightly lumpy on that. No such problems with BD at all, started fine this morning on around 95% BD (a tiny bit of dino diesel left in the tank when i filled her up with BD) and the engine is running smoother than when i was on 100% dino.

anyway, I'm happy as can be with the results using biodiesel so I guess that's me done. :)

if anyone still wants to use SVO or WVO then I'd recommend visiting http://fattywagons.com and giving their inline injector and fuel pump heaters a go as that's the direction I had been leaning before I gave the bio-diesel a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

how would a 3 litre FJ40 from 1973 sound as a bio-wagon ?

Now to find a body shell !!!

• Advertisement

Now to find a body shell !!!
    how about one of these bad boys to stick on your FJ40 chassis?

http://www.offroaders.com/directory/custom/TLC-Icon.htm

on the subject of running bio diesle, I'm a few days in now and I have to say the Paj has never run more smoothly, quietly or with more power than it does on BD. I'm well chuffed,it's head and shoulders above normal diesel in all the right places.

now all I need is some nice big stickers proclaiming my 'bio power' to put all over the car so I don't get people looking at me like I'm a prick for driving a big environment ruining 4x4 around dublin & meath (work & home). although anyone who's driven through meath recently anywhere near the M3 roadworks would probably agree that just living here is enough to warrant something more beefy than a Primera. ;)

I took my g/f's brother out in it for a bit of "off roading" (well okay, it was just a big muddy field!) over the weekend and I've left all the dirt on it for now so it at least looks like it's being used for it's intended purpose. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 bpsod10

Hi lads, This is a great topic. I have read it through and there is some superb advice. I have one question though. My car is an Skoda Octavia 2000 (Bosch) car.
    For the Summer months, what percent straight vegtable oil could I put into the car without doing harm, roughly like would 20 % SVO work away nicely or could it harm my engine.
    Thanks for any advice on the subject.
    Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/forum/
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^6
    Thats a great site with a wealth of information on running cars on pure plant oils

Thanks guys, appreciate the help. It looks like I can use up to 50% safely in the Summer. I'm not sure if its legal, which is my only concern to be honest.
    Thanks
    Brian

• Advertisement

its legal but is your car direct or indirect injection?

Thanks for your reply. It is Direct injection-is that ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭TMC121

There's a wealth of knowledge on the thread.
    I collect my new diesel (1.9 Suzuki Grand Vitara DDIS) on Tuesday next and was wondering would it run OK on vegi oil. I don't know what fuel pump is installed and I would be interested in converting it to run dual fuel (mineral diesel, biodiesel and pure/waste vegetable oil)

How does this effect your insurance and engine warranty?

bpsod10 wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply. It is Direct injection-is that ok?

Direct injection eventually gets stuck piston rings and a build up of carbon if you use too high a % Ive heard different things - from "using any will kill it" to "its ok to use 40 % during the summer".

Basically an indirect injection (bar cars that have lucas pumps or boch VP44) can run 100% in summer but in winter a bit of solvent helps thin the diesel (petrol, diesel, kerosene and acetone are used where legal)

Direct injections are supposed to fail quickly and are given two tank conversion kits where indirect injection have single tank conversion kits.

Do it at your own risk if you have a direct injection!
    Personally I have a direct injection and have been running it at different % for the past few months. With different results.
    I went back to diesel and added a carbon cleaner additive thing afterwards.

Oh I did once run it on 100% veg oil but the engine was already hot at the time (so it combusted completely) and when I was finished that run I filled it back up with diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭joy123

Lazairus wrote: »
    Just converted my volswagon golf 95 , for 80 euro , and running it on veg oil 69 cents a letre great, !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    no problems . let me know if any body wants to do it , ill advise them ,just mail me (private)
    whats ur email address??

Thanks BlindJustice, just as well u warned me, I'm am going to reduce the veg oil to 10%-Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

hey !
    Mega thread.....a really god read........now, tell me.........can we devise a list of potential cars that would be good to buy and run on Veg oil......

for instance, would a 2000 Mercedes E220D be suitable?
    Or would it need to be an earlier car?

Any car can run if its *converted*

Do you mean unconverted?
    Only indirect injection engines then

Lazairus wrote: »
    Just converted my volswagon golf 95 , for 80 euro , and running it on veg oil 69 cents a letre great, !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    no problems . let me know if any body wants to do it , ill advise them ,just mail me (private)

Are you using an electric in line glow plug fuel heater?
    Or a coolant heat exchanger or something?

With the exception of a few weeks here and there, Ive been mostly running my car (DI)
    from 10% - 100% pure plant oil
    Mostly 10 - 15% and the 100% was once off
    Currently 20% approx

I do use additives to try keep the injectors clear and I use a cetane booster
    Now with the price of additives it probably doesnt work out any cheaper with such a low % but Im kinda just trying to push the envelope!
    No injector seal leaks yet which is suprising (seems to be a normal thing to happen even on bio diesel) Slight loss of power at highest revs when on 100%
    Engine slightly quieter when running over 15%
    That yuk diesel smoke smell disappears above 15% too

If 15-20% was safe in a direct injection engine I would always run that kind of % just to get rid of the diesel smell and clatter!!

May not be safe though :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

Hi all,
    Started runing my 96 Peugeot 406 td on 30% vegoil 70% Diesel ,Seems to like it!!
    It's got the Bosch Injector pump so it should be ok !!Time will tell ,will try
    50/50 on my next fill.
    Itactually ran on 100% veg oil (aldi's 69 cent p/litre)
    I opened the 4 allen screws on the the filter housing drained the diesel through the bottom water bleed of hose.
    Disconnected the diesel inlet hose to filter houseing connected on a small heather tank filled both the filter housing and heather tank with 2 litres of heated veg oil (about 80 degrees C) bleed and she started first turn,after 10 seconds the engine sounded smoother.so it can handle it ok but needs to be heated up well before she will run.
    Thinking of making up a kit to run on 100% veg oil seeing that the Diesel is @1.30 and going up 3 cents tonite.
    The car has done nearly 200,000 miles so it's worth a try.
    Any advise on the pros and cons of using veg oil??
    not sure about the legal side of it in ireland ,
    In u.k. you can use 2500 litres per year without paying any Tax.
    Thanks
    Row.

i seem to remember reading somewhere that some pugs have an electrically heated fuel pump, might be something to look for.

things i've learnt during my LOTS of research.

the glow plug inline heaters are bad in the long run and can/will burn the oil and leave nasty deposits over time.

old pre-97 (ish) motors are best as you can be reasonably sure of an old style diesel engine.

old mercs and jap 4x4's as well as some french motors are good choices, but make sure you research your preferred vehicle to find out for sure.

stay away from lucas fuel pumps.

heat the fuel before it gets to the fuel pump to stop it clogging up from the viscosity of the fuel. also consider heating it again at the injector lines to keep that end of things running smoothly.

biodiesel is better than veg oil in terms of not buggering up your fuel pump, but you might still want to think about some minor conversions depending on what you'll be putting it in.

the internet is the best tool you'll find for researching the whole thing, youre not the first to try it, so learn from the experience of others. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭joy123

hi row, its sounds good to me, i m from galway tooo..... is there any chance to see ur work when u done?? i was thinking about to do it for my 98 passat tdi, but dont have enough knowledge :( anyway sounds good!!

Thanks vibe666,
    Most Peugeot/Citroen Td's (not hdi's) have a coolent supply running into the base of the diesel filter housing which heats the diesel to around 30-40 degree C before it enters the injector pump.

joy 123,
    I will let you know how i get on, as i am researching the svo (straight veg oil) convertion at the moment.As far as i know the early tdi's will work with svo,
    but you would need to fit a two tank system. Check out the links below,
    the might help you out.
    Thanks row.

http://www.burnveg.com/forum/
    http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=425000
    http://www.vegoilmotoring.com/eng/
    http://www.vow2.co.uk/instalation.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Lazairus

The veg oil that i am currently using is getting annoying filling it up every time
    i have decided to use rapeseed oil from farm suppliers

Sites
    Kilkenny
    http://www.biofuelsfortransport.ie/faq.asp

other sites offer convert kits for deisel

google
    eco car
    future oils

Cheers
    Laz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 7502stephen

Does anybody know where I can get a list of Filling Stations/Forecourts that sell Biodiesel in the Republic of Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

lads,
    can i ask - what happens if you're on the road and you get dipped by customs dipping for green/red diesel and your bus is running on veggie oil?
    Where does the law stand etc?
    Curious?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

lads,
    can i ask - what happens if you're on the road and you get dipped by customs dipping for green/red diesel and your bus is running on veggie oil?
    Where does the law stand etc?
    Curious?
    This Revenue document seems to say that virtually all Biofuel is exempt under the 2007 finance bill.

Called into Aldi for my weekly topup of veg oil yesterday and noticed they have increased there veg oil from .69 cent Per Litre to 99cents Per Litre ,thats a 43% rise over night ,Whats goin on.......
    Lidl and Tesco have done the same so it seems to be across the board,
    Running my 96 Peugeot 406 Td on 50/50 veg/Diesel at the moment and its loving it.
    I Cannot seem to locate a supplier that will sell bulk veg oil for less the a 99 cents a litre,
    Has anyone any idea where we can get bulk vegetable oil for less than 99 cents a litre?????????

• Advertisement

anyone using acetone to thin the oil? in 0.001 percentages

Advertisement