Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do you think Boards.ie is worth?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

Mines just slow due to the bandwidth being used by other computers on the network, not complaining tho cause its free on the billpayers' goodness :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Funk Daddy wrote:
    I've never been on here before - sorry!!!!! I don't have a grudge against boards - I just said it loads really slow and that IMO it's not worth any significant monetary value.

IE - why?

How many hits does the site get?
    It's a little slow today - but that's cos it was the bank holiday weekend. Everyone was back to work today and not wanting to do any work. Not majorly slow though, nothing painful.

http://www.boards.ie/webalizer/ for stats. Nobody really counts "hits" these days, but 1.5 million per day last month, if you're interested. It's less busy in the summer. Wait till Sept/Oct/Nov. Traffic goes through the roof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Funk Daddy

Impressive stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

just to make sure,are we bidding for boards? 2 rubals ono

I'l raise you to two marbles :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

seamus wrote:
    but 1.5 million per day last month, .

thats actually just me and victor refreshing various threads in PI

thats actually just me and victor refreshing various threads in PI
    Actually, i nearly believe you :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

please, tell me about me then. im really dying to know.

no really....

ok yous set it up cause yous were geeks(yourself and devore and the other lad) and played lots of games. you had a hard life where your mother left and you were raised by sheep and the internet. you now rake in millions from what you say is a profitless internet forum.

did i mention the sheep?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

WWM isn't an admin.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

But how did he know about the sheep?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

What price would you put on finding people able and willing to help with problems whether regarding computers, games, food, or personal issues? What about meeting a huge cross-section of people, and from them making some very good friends (and sometimes better enemies :) )? Or how about keeping in touch with those people regardless of where they are on the planet?

Priceless.

Or 50 quid a year, whichever's cheaper. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

I hit 1,000 posts today on Boards and I love every one of them. And you guys of course.

/me feels all squishy inside. :o

Hehe his name is lube-z :p

Must sub soon as i get some cash :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Gordon wrote:
    But how did he know about the sheep?
    He's watching you through the monitor!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

hookers, coke and sheep....hot dang!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

Hehe his name is lube-z :p

Correct..... is that it?
    Id say boards is worth a fortune. It must, it just must :)

Got tired of hookers so sheep became the first preferance...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

I do agree that the potential is there. Ireland is backward in terms of the internet and the future is only brighter. I'm not sure the founders/owners/mods are in it to make money. THey still have a huge personal interest rather than a financial interest. If they really did want to make it profitable, there are plenty of things they could do to make it happen.

Using statistics is very important, like market research.
    Most people who post here are early 20's and male. ALso they are currently using the internet so it means they have some interest in technology. Immediately mobile phone, mp3 players, computers.... the list goes on comes to mind.

I don't know if you could do this but perhaps using cookies the advertisements could be tailored to suit the interests of the poster. FOr instance if somebody posts in regions say dublin city and they also post in soccer you could make ads for a football 5-a-side in Dublin to come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Or boards could have an online technology shop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

daveirl wrote:
    What is craiglist worth and who has paid for it? A lot of valuation is speculation of value. A lot of times things are valued at one price but are never sold for that value. The number of staff required if this was commercial probably make this an unviable business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭the jew

Some of you guys are way over estimating this site, the vast majority of members probably post very little, and it might be only about 5-10% of users that actually post regularly, when you're on the site a lot you notice the same names popping up for posts. At the end of the day, the site is profitless, and sentimental value doesn't count for shít unless the buyer feels the same way (which they probably won't, they buy it as a profit making business venture). The site is probably worth a good few thousand alright, but nothing major.
    Webmonkey wrote:
    oh oh Jew, wrong ones to piss off

/waves goodbye to jew
    I said "probably", could easily be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

servers = €300 a month
    alcohol = €5000 a month
    coffee = €50 a month
    junk food = €100 a month
    sheep = €500-1000 a month (depends on use and if Sarky_S is nearby(!))
    protecting Pighead from angry boarders = €500,000 a month
    staff = peanuts

boards.ie

[glow=9]priceless[/glow]

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

To me, boards.ie is priceless. But to a tycoon, boards.ie is worth very little and in order to transform it into a profitable business the site itself would change drastically into something that the majority of us may hate!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Webmonkey wrote:
    It won't be sold in a fit. Its worth too much personally to the team

Haha, even the people who know how non-money oriented we are would rightfully be sceptical of that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 Dinar

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

evad_lhorg wrote:
    ok yous set it up cause yous were geeks(yourself and devore and the other lad) and played lots of games. you had a hard life where your mother left and you were raised by sheep and the internet. you now rake in millions from what you say is a profitless internet forum.

did i mention the sheep?

i guess you dont know too much about me then do you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

Can they not do affiliate links. I mean people on here buy from dvd retailers to komplett, etc. If they set up affiliate links to these sites surely they would make a few pound, sorry euro.
    On the main issue I'd say its worth a few bob to the right buyer. I mean is it the mentality in this country. Take the Eurovision, Ireland moaned about hosting it whereas any advertising executive in America would be wetting their pants with an audience of over a billion for one event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

this much! \o/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement