Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer/drink gives you the worst/least hangover?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

I only get a hangover when I forget to drink water. Before I go out now, I leave a drink of water conveniently placed beside my bed. It's either that or prepare to wince at every light source the next day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭fischerspooner

Chemically, red wine and dark spirits (whiskey, dark rums, and brandy especially) give you the worst hangover. Not sure why but I have read this lots of times. Vodka and gin are the least cruel apparently. I never really binge on anything but beer, but stella is DEFINITELY the worst for hangovers. It gets you locked out of your head and leaves you a total mess for about 2 days after with pounding headaches etc. So I steer clear of it now. I drank 7 pints of guinness last night and today I'm in a heap. Played squash and was on the verge of collapsing after 30 mins. Seeing purple everywhere, dizzyness, etc. Hangovers have gotten a lot worse for me as I got older, probably because I drink more, or maybe I'm just more aware of them now or something, I don't know. Anyway, if you get drunk you get a hangovers, full stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

I don't tend to get hangovers at all any more, even though I drink far more now than I ever used to. The trick is to stay with beer all night, and never touch whiskey! Also, obviously drink plenty of water and get a decent nights sleep!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Bulmers nearly made me cry the next day when I drank it :eek: Loads of sugar = phucked up head, body and soul the next day.
    It aint the sugar, its the methanol. Apple juice is high in naturally occuring methanol (yes the extra poisonous alcohol added to ethanol to make methylated spirits). When fermenting products with pectin (apple is high in pectin) more methanol and cogeners (hangover causing compounds) are produced. Red wine is also pretty high in methanol and cogeners. Cheap brandy whiskey and gin are high too.

Stick with decent vodka, grey goose, skyy, stoli, flavoured absolut.
    Or make your own :eek:
    www.homedistiller.org
    www.amphora-society.com

Always go to bed on the verge of puking up the lashings of water you just drank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

Beer of any kind renders me incapable of opening my eyes in the morning.
    Vodka barely does anything to me the next day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

dont get hangovers yay!!! very rarely i may get an upset stomac for an hour or 2 tho

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Tequila = No hangover... ever.
    Guinness = moderately bad headaches + ridiculous bowel movements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Brandy is not big here??? Back home, in my teens brandy and coke was the order of the day. We would buy a 2l coke, drink half, fill it with brandy and then mission to the party :D . No hangovers from that stuff. But then its all i drank for 2 and a half years, think im immune to the stuff at this point.
    U want a hangover, drink sambuca, and a lot of it, you will feel :mad: :mad: in the morning :).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,080 ✭✭✭mada999

can't drink vodka it kills me....
    like jd though..on it's own with ice! if I drink too much of it (especially mixing with coke) I'll puke blood next morning...don't know why though :confused:

I think Harp is deadly...its good some bad press to say the least but it's still my fave along with Carlsberg...but I'll drink any beer. Worst drink I think is Newcastle Brown ale...me and a mate were givin a slab of it in the states and we had to drink it, twas free, but it was rotten.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Sarky wrote:
    Bah. Amateurs. Erdinger is a solid, respectable beer, and a perfect stepping stone towards greater things. It's a practically hangover-free drink, you must be doing something wrong, like mixing it with a lesser beverage. Keep your Heiniken, Budweiser and all the other muck I'd rather have rough sex with a syphillis-coated cheesegrater than be forced to drink. They're full of crap that accentuates any hangovers you get.

I'm currently hooked on a lovely Belgian number called Kwak. It's a very smooth (so much so you'd never realise it was 8%), very flavourful amber beer with no hangover effects.

Beer snob? Perhaps. But I'm not the one suffering hangovers after a night out.

I agree with you on the erdinger front - however, more and more pubs are serving it on tap so it could be an issue of poor tap management. Anyway tis as good out of the bottle.

Kwak is a great beer - first time i had it was in Belgo. Came in a strange glass that had its own scaffolding (http://www.belgiskbryg.dk/images/kwak.jpg). Great restaurant too - Belgo - shame it closed down, great beer and great mussels/lobster & chips.

Which reminds me - Duvel gave me quite a remarkable hangover once - I was drinking it like lemonade though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Those Kwak glasses are great. Had some in a Belgian bar in Cape Town and they made me do what they do in Belgium when you order one - I had to give them my left shoe, which was put in a basket over the bar. It's a form of deposit because so many of the glasses were walking. I was a bit worried the first time I went to the bog that the floor might be like some pub toilet floors in Dublin, but thankfully it was clean and dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Macka

The only time I remember having a really bad hangover was the morning after I foolishly challenged a couple of Russians in my school to a vodka drinking competition. As a result of that night I can't stand vodka in any shape or form bleh.
    Drink of choice is straight JD or JD and coke, never gotten a hangover off it. That or Miller

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

Can drink pints of guinness with whiskey chasers all night will be fine next day. But a few bottles of miller/heino what have you and i'm fcuked

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭dewsbury

For those who don't really get hangovers .... just wait until you get a over 30 .... Never really got bad ones until then .... but sadly, age makes a big difference ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Sammyjo

I get the worst hangovers ever! I cant function properly the next day at all. I spend the day in the toilet at work (if im out on a weeknight), and when Im at my desk i have to wear my shades!! So now, no matter what or how much I drink, I always have four pint glasses of water, solpadine, and vitamin B before I go to bed and it does help, but I still get incredibly dizzy and off balance.

I cant touch red wine or brandy, if i do shots or have cocktails, I will be absolutely dying the next day, cursing myself for thinking they were a good idea at the time.

I find vodka (only stoyley.....smirnoff is too harsh), martini and coors light okayish. Surprisingly my favourite drink is whiskey and coke (jamey) i dont get too bad hangovers but it sends me loola, so i really try to avoid it.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭shakaman

The worst hangover I ever got was after oxygen this year. in fact I believe it may have been a case of alcohol poisoning, I had the shakes, sweats, was hearing things/seeing things moving which weren't.....my girlfriend thought it was hilarious. That was as a result of 36 cans of cider/2 bottles of vodka and 2 bottles of buckfast over the 3 days, paired with blistering heat and a 6 hour drive in traffic home.

Best drink for no hangover - Guinness (be prepared for about 15 trips to the bog and wear your worst undies)
    Worst drink for a hangover - Cider
    Best hangover - bowl of fruit to replenish your vitamin count and loads and loads of quality H20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭the jew

Any of you ever drink cans of druids, real knacker drink. Drank nothing but druids on 2 different occasions, both times, worse hangover ever, then asked two of my mates if they suffered the same (they drink it all the time), they said, "yeah but it's 6% and cheap". What the hell is wrong with them???

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭liamk

druids is filthy stuff only drank it once and will never again its sickly sweet for a start but those rotten hangovers take the biscuit...
    i find i dont get hangovers if i dont give my liver time to recover (i.e. a week) but if i dont oh my god the pain but if i did generally i'd watch out for;
    miller - nasty stuff wrecks my head
    guinness - too wholesome to drink over a long period of time plus the poor jacks in work has never been the same since that mornin just lucky i was able to blame my mate the boss was not impressed with me that day as it was and he was the next person in the jacks... poor him!
    red wine - cant stomach it usually but you kno how it is when youve a few in ye already anythin will if the night is anyway decent or
    wkd blue - dont know why just does

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

drinking bulmers for the summer and it gives me some heartburn and the odd runs the next morning, but no hangover, budwiser really fckes me up the next morning, and i could drink vodka all day and have no hangover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

Vodka, it just goes with anything, even milk :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Vodka, it just goes with anything, even milk :D
    the russians drink it like water, lots of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

Yes but their vodka generally has an incredible strong taste that cant be masked by anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 riverrock2009

sarky made a great point there... Erdinger is gread stuff and it hasnt got all the rubbish in it like bud and heiniken etc...... Kwak is great.. Any belgian or german beer really cause again it doesnt have the crap in it and it tastes great. Bud and heiniken isnt proper beer!!! .. its crap! I wouldnt touch it! Go to the porterhouse people and try out a few beers from the menu and you might be pleasently surprised. altho if your a bud drinker maybe you should stay away that goes for you miller and rolling rock and coors light drinkers too you know who you are!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭MooShop

shakaman wrote:
    The worst hangover I ever got was after oxygen this year. in fact I believe it may have been a case of alcohol poisoning, I had the shakes, sweats, was hearing things/seeing things moving which weren't.....my girlfriend thought it was hilarious. That was as a result of 36 cans of cider/2 bottles of vodka and 2 bottles of buckfast over the 3 days, paired with blistering heat and a 6 hour drive in traffic home.

ah you obviously got the horrors then, never got them myself thank god but the stories i hear from friends who have got them.....scary stuff!!!

i dont get hangovers from bottles, could drink them all day and night and be fine the next day. i get hangovers from drinking pints though, really bad hangovers as well, usually ok after vodka as well though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Worst hangovers: Baileys, Skopsko, Murphys

Best to avoid hangovers: Whiskey, Jagermeister, Erdinger, Kenbach, Labbat Ice, Porterhouse Red.

Best hangover cure: Sleep (time permitting), Pure orange juice (if you're stomach can take it) or a breakfast roll and a pint of water

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭ShreddedHumans

Aldi beer gives you a horrible hangover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Secoundrow

*Big Bump*:D

Thought Id revive this thread

Vodka and blackcurrent Very hard on the stomach
    bad hangover
    and it will make you puke:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,562 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Worst: Beer
    Least: Vodka

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

The whiskey really kills me the following morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

I had about 7 bottles of Miller last night and I thought I was going to need an ambulance to recover today, f*cking hell! Evil, evil hangover.

What drink gives you the worst hangover and which has no effect on you the next day whatsoever?

7 Bottles. Sweet Jesus what kind of lightweight are you?

Advertisement