Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Extras' New Comedy

Options

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Ross Kemp was very funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Have to admit Ross Kemp was feckin deadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Hmm, I don't know...
    I'm a bit worried that all the best bits (of both shows) have been the guest stars. Take away Ben Stiller, Ross Kemp and Vinnie Jones and I don't think the show would work. It's a pity.
    Having said that the funny bits still were funny, but they were too few and far between for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I thought this weeks was stronger proberly cos of Kemp esp at the end where he crumbles in the face of Vinnie Jones and admits to being bullied on all his jobs. Next week should be a cracker. Nazis and nuns.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Funk Daddy

basquille wrote:
    Getting it off "the cousin" now..
    Why the inverted commas? Is that slang for "gay boner"?

I thought it was great, but Maggie is a bit over the top with the stupidity (thinking Andy had a sister, and the Mitchell brothers thing). And Ross Kemp was a bit too OTT as well - far too unbelievable. Stiller was great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Funk Daddy

personally don't think Gervais is really THAT funny, he is funny I'll admit but I never understand how everyone raved about him and the office.
    I guess you just don't get it. Toddle off and watch "Time Gentlemen Please" - it a bit simpler.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Funk Daddy wrote:

No, it's slang for obtaining it through nefarious means from a not entirely legal source on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Funk Daddy wrote:
    Okay everyone... "Gay Boner" is the new euphemism we should all use from now on....

I only saw Extras for the first time this week. It was eh.. okay... I found the bits with Maggie were terrible and completey pointless. Ashley Jensen doesn't seem to have any sense of comedic timing.

EDIT:
    I'm getting the latest episode of Battlestar Galactica from my "Gay Boner" as we speak..

• Registered Users Posts: 43,812 ✭✭✭✭Basq

zaph wrote:
    No, it's slang for obtaining it through nefarious means from a not entirely legal source on the internet.
    Actually.. he was right!..

...it was slang for a "Gay Boner"

Anyways.. back on topic... 2nd episode wasn't as good as the first. And yes, Maggie is absolutely terrible, and getting worse! Laughed at the moment she got the Kemp's mixed up and kept referring to the Mitchell Brothers in confusion.. but that was mainly due to Ricky Gervais's (still genius) reaction to it all!

Loved Stephen Merchant's appearance this week - especially the joke about the phone being plugged out for 2 days and no-one noticing. Ross Kemp was pretty good, Shawn Williamson (Barry) was brillant as a little cameo.

Kate Winslet episode is next up..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

"Come on love, you're like a dead horse. Put a bit of minge around it."

That bit was good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

basquille wrote:
    Loved Stephen Merchant's appearance this week - especially the joke about the phone being plugged out for 2 days and no-one noticing. Ross Kemp was pretty good, Shawn Williamson (Barry) was brillant as a little cameo.
    Just watched the gay boner's copy, and laughed my ass off: the whole queuing for the toilet bit, the Ross/Gary/Martin Kemp thing, the guy in the catering van. I especially loved that nobody knew who Shawn Williamson was, his agent called him Barry and even Ross didn't know who he was talking about until Ricky said 'Barry'. Great writing.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I have to admit, I was a little confused about the whole Spandau Ballet/Eastenders connection until that episode.

Best episode thus far - great bits - the prayer meeting that ends with everyone clenching thier bum, Kate Winslet talking dirty and bemoaning not winning an Oscar (not doing enough Holocaust or cripple roles!).

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,812 ✭✭✭✭Basq

mike65 wrote:
    Best episode thus far - great bits - the prayer meeting that ends with everyone clenching thier bum, Kate Winslet talking dirty and bemoaning not winning an Oscar (not doing enough Holocaust or cripple roles!).
    Agreed!

Fantastic episode... so many highlights! But the scene with the priest confronting Andy on his religion was fantastic! :D Kate Winslet was brillant in it also with the dirty talk - "going home to polish my husband's Oscar...!" :D

Also, Stephen Merchant was fantastic as usual! Loved the bit where he was getting on the headset and also the clicking the mouse.

Can't wait for next week - is turning into a cracker of a series!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Feck! Completely forgot about it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

was actually funny this week after last week which was very forgetable. fair play to kate winslet she didnt hold back...such a foul mouth on her and shes a mother to boot which is quite a turn on especially with the nun outfit on!

Yeah. That was infinitely better than last weeks episode. I laughed out loud a good few times.

And not too much Maggie in it this week either... that's a good move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

That was simply amazing. I think all three episodes so far have been great, but this has to be the best so far.

I actually don't think its as dark as the Office was. The Office has a great atmosphere of gloom and terror etc. But I think this has a much lighter atmosphere mostly because we get to see celebrities take the piss out of themselves.

"I want you to stick your Willy Wonka in between my Oompa Loompas."

haha... great stuff....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Agent Orange

Jesus, what's wrong with you people?

The last episode with Winslet was TERRIBLE. Kate *cannot* do comedy. Her dirty talking was cringingly unfunny as was Gervais's character's confession at the prayer meeting.

Gervais may have called the show the disappointing follow up to 'The Office' but he's wrong - it's more like an unmitigated disaster.

How did it all go so horribly wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Jesus, what's wrong with you people?

The last episode with Winslet was TERRIBLE. Kate *cannot* do comedy. Her dirty talking was cringingly unfunny as was Gervais's character's confession at the prayer meeting.

Gervais may have called the show the disappointing follow up to 'The Office' but he's wrong - it's more like an unmitigated disaster.

How did it all go so horribly wrong?

Ye i liked the office...but I have to agree with what you said above! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Kate Winslett, Ross Kemp, Ben Stiller* just aren't funny. Gervais is naturally funny, he has a talent for it. I think it's a bit of an ego trip on both sides for the celebs to be in his new series. I like the bits with Gervais and Stephen Merchant as his agent. Just my bigotted ill-informed opinion though.

* yes I know he's meant to be

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Sorry but Ben stiller is a lot funnier than Gervais!! The only good thing about the first ep was Stiller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Lump wrote:
    I've seen a couple of episodes (In work) and it's rather good.

John
    Wow, where do you work. Oh wait, don't bother, I've seen most of the episodes at work myself.

Glipmac wrote:
    If its anything like the office it must be complete rubbish! i have seen the office (both american and english virsions) and at no point did i laugh in either of them... is the show suppost to be funny? or just annoying?
    Let me guess, you find Ellen, Harry Hill and Jo Brand funny?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Big fan of Gervais here, and I must admit that I am slightly disapointed with Extras. I do find it hilarious, but particularly the first episode occasionally stooped to dodgy ITV weeknight drama. When I say that I mean the Maggie parts, some of them are less than brilliant, which I wouldn't normally expect from Gervais and Merchant. On the other hand, the cameo's are excellent, and I must disagree with anyone who says gervais is playing a brent-a-like again. The scene last week with the priest was hilarious:

ahh condoms... Do we need 'em?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

I don't know how anyone can say this has been a dissapointment. All the episodes have been great. I wasnt sure if Gervais could keep it up after the Office but this has been way better than I expected.

I like Maggie a lot more than some of the other characters in the Office. I think the atmosphere is a lot more easy going because Andy's character is more down to earth than Brent. Brent was a horrible guy that horrible things happened to, Andy is more of a nice, normal guy that horrible things happen to. But that said, Andy isnt as dark as Brent but Extras is a lot darker than the Office. I reall like Maggie and Andys relationship too, I hope they dont go for the obvious and get them together but its TV so...

Les Dennis is a really great sport too.

Tonights episode was a homage to either Bottom or Samual Becket. The comedy of dispair, it was'nt the best one proberly cos it could have done with more time to develope I think Les Dennis could have been much more tragic if he'd had time!:D

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I have to say I enjoyed last nights ep , just brilliant. The gay genie was so funny, but when les was talkin to andy in the nude it was funny but scary lol.

• Advertisement

Les Dennis was amazing. Watched the Sam Jackson episode tonight. It was an excellent episode but they didn't use him very much. I find Maggie to be a bit too stupid to be believable, if they toned her down a bit it would be so much better.

Advertisement