Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Extras' New Comedy

Options
  • 18-07-2005 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭

New Beeb comedy from The Office writers, heard a few sounds bites(one with Ben Stiller)

Seems good - http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/extras/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,811 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Been following production of this since Ricky announced it.. really looking forward to it!!

Love the teaser for it too! In the big dramatic voice "Kate Winslet.. Samuel L Jackson.. Patrick Stewart.. Ben Stiller... AND.. Barry from Eastenders!" :D

A few clips and teasers from it here! Will definantly be tuning in Thursday night!

And finally more screentime for the extremely over-looked Stephen Merchant (who'll be playing the agent of Ricky's character, Andy Millman) - co-writer with Ricky on 'The Office' and this who we just saw as Oggie (Gareth's "lanky goggled-eyed freak" friend) in 'The Office' Comic Relief episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭snakeater

Yeah it should be good. Ben Stiller is in tonight's episode I think. Ricky Gervais is already labelling it " The disappointing follow up to the Office". Even if it does out to be not that good I think people will still tune in to see the likes of Samuel L Jackson etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I've seen a couple of episodes (In work) and it's rather good.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

My friend was actually an extra on that show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

wasnt great was it? only a few funny bits...mostly from ben stiller,and the racist discussion,but thats about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Not a laugh a minute, but had some good bits, nothing was going to top the office, but this seems quite good and has a scope for different sets each week.

The Starsky and Hutch bit was quite good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

Not as good as the Office, but very ****ing funny all the same. Ben Stiller was a lot better than I expected, even though he was just doing an impersonation of Brent, but it was a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

im looking at her naked dead face

very funny, was abit slow to start, i never expected it to be as funny as the office so i wasnt dissapointed.

all round thumbs up :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Anyone know when they have repeats on?

Hmmmm... somewhat disappointing but far from terrible at the same time! Was expecting an appearance from Stephen Merchant this week but probably next week.

Some brillant stuff from Gervais and Stiller.. especially:
    - Stiller's reaction to the kid laughing - "how about if i blew your mother's face off right here? D'ya think that's funny?"
    - "Meet The Fockers - No.1 film in India right now!"
    - The showdown between Stiller and the Extras at the end.
    - "Herman Munster... :D"
    - ".. no bowel cancer for you then!.."
    - "Is she sunbatheing..?!"

Actually.. looking back at it.. it was better than i first thought!

PS - One last quote:
    Ben Stiller: "Who are you?"
    Andy: "Nobody"
    Ben Stiller: "That's right. And who am I?"
    Andy: "It's either Starsky or Hutch, I can never remember?"
    Ben Stiller: "Was that supposed to be funny?"
    Andy: "You tell me, you were in it."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

Ah I enjoyed it, very good.
    Am looking forward to the next few weeks of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I liked it, as said a quiet start but anyone who bailed out early will have missed a few choice scenes.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭snakeater

basquille wrote:
    Ben Stiller: "Who are you?"
    Andy: "Nobody"
    Ben Stiller: "That's right. And who am I?"
    Andy: "It's either Starsky or Hutch, I can never remember?"
    Ben Stiller: "Was that supposed to be funny?"
    Andy: "You tell me, you were in it."

I thought that was the funniest bit myself.All in all I wasn't disappointed, quite funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

Very enjoyable, good few out loud laughs too.

Well done the boys. Stiller was classic too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Glipmac

Before you complain i am trolling i am not i am making a valid point!

If its anything like the office it must be complete rubbish! i have seen the office (both american and english virsions) and at no point did i laugh in either of them... is the show suppost to be funny? or just annoying?

The office was the worst form of british "comedy" i have ever seen has it finished or are we just watching the same old "jokes?" in a different context?

I for one will not be watching it!

For the those who liked the office i ask WHY?

Is it funny for someone to stick a stapler to the ceiling or is it just childish? this is not comedy i say this is offencive to TRUE british comedy! e.g Blackadder, Red Dwarf and Faulty Towers... I know that greatness such as these can never be matched but they could at least try!

Thanks for reading Glip :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

Glipmac wrote:
    If its anything like the office it must be complete rubbish! i have seen the office (both american and english virsions) and at no point did i laugh in either of them... is the show suppost to be funny? or just annoying?

The office was the worst form of british "comedy" i have ever seen has it finished or are we just watching the same old "jokes?" in a different context?

I for one will not be watching it!

For the those who liked the office i ask WHY?

Each to their own. Some people like the office, some don't. No biggie, don't lose sleep over it. No one has to justify why the do or don't like something. Lifes too short dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Len_007

had it's moments I suppose. All the reviewers are saying its the "worst" one of the 6. Apparently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Glipmac

alleepally wrote:
    Each to their own. Some people like the office, some don't. No biggie, don't lose sleep over it. No one has to justify why the do or don't like something. Lifes too short dude.

I am not gonna lose sleep over it, i just find it harsh they can call it comedy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Errr .. so .. anyway.. I liked it. Stiller was great.
    Gervais' character seems to be a more subtle and slighty more intelligent version of David Brent, it's good that it was a slight role reversal with Stiller looking like the bad guy and Gervais looking like the good guy (sort of) at the end.

Getting it off "the cousin" now.. wanna watch it a second time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Davexirl

missed the first episode, does anyone know if its going to be repeated soon....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Anyone know when they have repeats on?
    I'm fairly sure they don't. I checked put if it was going to be repeated on BBC Three or something next week but it's not, so I made sure I saw it last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

I thought it was good. After reading reviews yesterday I was expecting something terrible, but I was pleasantly surprised. Ben Stiller was the highlight, I don't think he was trying to be Brent as someone mentioned above, he was just playing his normal Stilleresque character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

i really appreciate brent's unbearable awquardness as humour but after watching gervais' stand up and hearing cl;ips of his radio shows, i feel he is using cheap humour we all say stupid things, non-pc, racist even, but his use of it even in a knowing way doesn't really cut that mustard. At the end of the day he's still using those subject to create humour from.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

but his use of it even in a knowing doesn't really cut that mustard,
    what??? what??? what???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭Maynooth

Useless. Very disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Gervais wants to get Clint Eastwood for the next series (presuming there is one!).

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭ScruffySlayer

Was alright, personally don't think Gervais is really THAT funny, he is funny I'll admit but I never understand how everyone raved about him and the office. He was funny on that Alias behind the scenes thing Bravo did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭PullMyFinger!

I laugh every time the man opens his mouth. Extras was a bit slow but it has such a standard to live upto. Insiders say last weeks show was the weakest of the six episodes and its all gravy from tomorrow night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I'm liking it so far.
    Although I wasn't expecting much after the let-downs that were Animals and Politics... I don't think his style of comedy really works on stage.

Advertisement