Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the half blood prince

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭supersheep

Doubt it. Just finished my seond rereading,
    Where does Snape call Lily a 'mudblood'? Harry says he does, but it isn't in the bit where Snape is taunting him (after Dumbledore's death), and I can't think of where else it might be. Was it in Phoenix?
    If he did, it's bad for the "Snape is good" theory. It's important that Snape feels sorry for the Potters' deaths, or Lily's anyways... And he's not gonna feel sorry for a 'mudblood', even if she stood up for him once. In my mind, it rests on whether Snape loved Lily or not... If he did, he's good. If not, he's evil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭rosa

I think he called her a mudblood in OOTP, the bit where Harry goes into Snape's pensieve and sees a memory from his parents and Snapes schooldays.

Yeah, was thinking that all right...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It's always the girl you like who's pigtails you pull ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Velvet Vocals

Well I finished it last night at about 1.30 in the morning, tears streaming down my face, but it was GREAT!
    It's taken me all day to read through this thread, the theories are great.
    I have to say that I agree with R.A.B theory, it seems that it most likely will be Regulas.
    But as for Harry being a horcrux, I really don't see that one panning out, firstly to create one you have to kill someone and he didn't kill Harry the spell rebounded, the similarities between Harry and Voldemort have all ready been explained away by the transferal of powers when the spell didn't work so that's all that is.
    Unfortunately I think I'll have to agree with the Snape is actually good theory, I really don't want to but all the evidence is there. The most convincing of which is the way Dumbledoor pleaded with Snape to do it, this had to have been someone that was agreed between them, there will undoubtedly be some very noble reason for Dumbledoor trusting Snape and we'll all feel guilty for hating him... but I still hate him!!!
    I also totally agree with the idea that we haven't heard the last from Dumbledoor. Of course he'll be back in the next book in some form or another... it would be way to harsh to cut him out completely, besides if nothing else, his portrait is in the headmasters office already and if Finias Nigel's (not sure how to spell that but you know who I mean) portrait is anything to go by then he'll be very similar to his real self.
    I suppose we can't really rule out the theory of the polyjuice potion either, I mean it was there, it was mentioned several times, and I do think that Bella wasn't in it as much as she could have been, so the idea that she has taken pollyjuice and become someone like Snape or possibly the Minister for magic ( by the way, if anyone could tell me how I should be pronouncing his name I would greatly appreciate it) isn't that far fetched. But it has been done before, it seems strange that an author would come back to something 3 times. Anyway, great book, I'm about to start reading it again now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

Wasn't very impressed. Shockingly little material in the book for its size, you could have just read the last two chapters and wouldn't have missed much. It's very much a set-up book, certainly lacks the stand alone qualities of the earlier titles, though I suppose thats more nescessary at this point in the series. Is there going to be 1 or 2 more?

I think it's just 1 book, although she has been hinting that she would like to keep going with them. If it is just one then she really is going to have pack it full, it'll be massive

Mark wrote:
    Wasn't very impressed. Shockingly little material in the book for its size, you could have just read the last two chapters and wouldn't have missed much. It's very much a set-up book, certainly lacks the stand alone qualities of the earlier titles, though I suppose thats more nescessary at this point in the series. Is there going to be 1 or 2 more?
    You would have missed out on a lot of important background fluff by only reading the last two chapters. I like my fluff - highly important. And it sets things up for the next book, which is kind of what a penultimate book needs to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'm on my second reading (sad I know but I had to bring it to Galway for my brother and ended up starting back into it on the bus out of boredom). That "fluff" actually seems to have a lot of JK Rowling's trademark "skip a word and you miss the clue" lines in it. Not to mention the words "character development".

Char-ac-ter de-vel-op-ment? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Re-cy-cling?

I don't think there was any "Re-cy-cling" nor was it fluff or padding. All of the stuff in the book about love and friendships etc are integral to the story and to the readers attachment to the characters.
    Plus it's very enjoyable to the reader :)

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭caffrey

DD killed to easy, uncharacteristic of him not to have thought of this especially when he knew malfoy was after him. it makes no sense for the greatest wizard ever to bow out without a fight especially when he knew there was a fight in full swing down below, he would have fought to the bone especially after what the big talk with harry about how he must destroy LV. DD should play a role in book 7
    is it possible that LV is a horcrux for harry? harry having killed him as a child? or even that the object that LV was going to use as a horcrux with harrys life is now actually a horcrux for harry? will harry die in book 7 come back and kill LV from inside his own body???? or even harry dies saving the world from LV and the theory of a horcrux for harry leaves it open for books in the future should JKR get withdrawl??? harry potter and the last horcrux??? lol
    the book as a whole left me wanting more so in that respect i cannot fault it but there were parts that made me feel that being able to love could have been shown in many more powerful ways

Fluff, to me, is not an insult - I LOVE my fluff. I mean love it. If fluff was a woman, I would marry it. Or at least propose to it anyways... :D (where's the crazy smilie?)
    I don't think Harry has a Horcrux. Horcruxes strike me as evil, no matter who owns them. I know it'd be nice to see Harry have to sacrifice himself AND be alive for more books, but it doesn't seem... right to me. If JKR is going to kill Harry, I don't think she'll cop out of killing him dead. Plus, Harry's ability to love - would it be the same with half a soul?
    Of course, I could well be wrong, as there is absolutely no evidence to support my thoughts. It's an interesting theory, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭caffrey

that is true they do seem evil so probably not a likely outcome, saying that though snape seemed like a decent guy, DD seemed invincible, its all still up in the air and it can go any direction and I think thats what JKR wants, us to be mulling over what happens next. I would have liked a bit moe direction/conviction in that respect. I feel she copped out a bit there waiting for the public view etc

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

on the subject of Harry being a Horcruxe. Something I havn't seen brought up is the fact that Dumbledore reckoned that Voldermorts snake was a Horcruxe. Which means there is no reason Harry couldn't be one...

As for the idea of LV being Harry's horcurx and then harry killing him from the inside... it's pretty cool idea! But something in me feels that she wont kill Harry off. I could be wrong but I think he'll go on and become an aurer and marry ginny and live happily every after.... or maybe that's just what I want to happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭*marie*

On Harry being a Horcrux, didn't really believe it at first, but at the moment I'm (re)re-reading all of the books, and I just finished book2 last night. At the end when Dumbledore is explaining to Harry about his scar and about him being a parslemouth, Dumbledore tells harry that Voldemort left "a bit of himself" in Harry.
    Could this be a very obvious hint from Rowling? But this would mean that Dumbledore knew Harry was a Horcrux, and I think it's very unlikely that Dumbledore would not tell him this.
    Probably very unlikely, I know, just thought I'd put it out there.

I think common thought is that the bit of Voldy in Harry came from the backfiring Avada Kedavra... But I think the most powerful argument against Harry being a Horcrux is how evil it is... He's the hero, he won' be stooping that low.

just a thought-i bet Dumbledore has left some significant memories in the pensieve for Harry. Im thinking book seven will still have Dumblydore in it-flashbacks and the like. Plus DD knew the DADA job was jinxed. He told Harry voldemort put a curse on it. Is that why he gave it to snape??

• Advertisement

Oh yes, I'd say there'll be a lot of help in the Pensieve. And Dumbledore's portrait in the Headmaster's (or Headmistress', if it's McGonagall) study. As for why Snape got the DADA post, maybe it was to show Voldemort that Dumbledoe trusted Snape implicitly, letting him worm further into Voldemort's clutches and be an even better double agent...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

I've been away, and missed the last thousand posts on this popular thread, so forgive me if tyhis has been around before.

somebody mentioned
    about Snape maybe having an unbreakable vow with Dumbledore, but it strikes me now, wouldn't the big V-man have unbreakable vows with all his death-eaters? it's just common sense

Common sense, yes. Good for the story? Not likely... If he did, then there'd be no potential for breaking promises and stuff... Maybe he's so cocky about his Legilimency that he believes that no-one can hide anything from him?
    It hasn't been mentioned before, though, as far as I know...

I dont think that DD would have an unbreakable vow with anyone-would he want someone to die for somethin he really wanted done?
    voldemorts confidence has let him down before. why didnt DD go accio wand?? or let harry do something? he obviously either knew he had to die or it was snape in polyjuice potion (which my sister is convinced of)
    Is snape evil??????????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Franky Boy

I'm just about to start into the fifth book and I've heard so many things about the sixth.
    I hate the way reading takes so long!
    Best get started.....

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭(insert name)

Think about the "beast" in Harry's chest. Wanting to jinx Dean into a jelly and so forth. Bit angry for a crush no? I do believe that that beast is Lord Voldemort's soul. If so, then Harry will have to die before Voldemort can be killed or maybe some form of two in one thing can happen, perhaps involving snape. Could wrap things up though I doubt JK Rowling would kill off Harry, however good an ending it would produce.

Again, only conjecture.

notice this
    If so, then Harry will have to die before Voldemort can be killed
    how did Dumbledore make the ring and diary not be horcruxes anymore?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

how did Dumbledore make the ring and diary not be horcruxes anymore?
    Harry killed the diary with the tooth, noting to do with Dumbledore. The ring was cracked to show it was no loner one. I think its safe to assume that there is a simialr way to destroy each of the horcruxes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 mmm_cheese

ohhhhhh i love all this speculation and everyones different therories.....well i too hope snape is good..
    spoiler :and what leads me to think he is ,is that when at the end he is getting away and harry is chasing him, trying his hardest to jinx him ......snape just throws out spells that dont kill Harry plus he says to harry that he has to learn how to hide his thoughts before he can fight properly.....that seems to me like he was giving him advice ...trying to help him.........

snape had to kill dumbledore to save himself.........maybe when Dumbledore looked at Snape and said ...please Severus......maybe they had spoken about this happening and that Dumbledore wanted him if that that situation arouse, to kill him......thus saying please to killing him .....and maybe help Harry once he's gone..??!!?

ohh i cant wait 2 years !!!ahh hehe..........

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

last book!

• Advertisement

mmm_cheese wrote:
    ohh i cant wait 2 years !!!ahh hehe..........
    Time for a judicious dose of fanfic then...

Advertisement