Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the half blood prince

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

I think Snape is really on Dumbledore's side or at least not on Voldemorts. He loved Lily Potter and I think Voldemort promised him he would not kill her (hence asking her to move aside as opposed to just killing her, like James), when he did kill her it broke Snape's heart so he stopped believing in Voldemort. He probably then went over to Dumbledore, resenting Voldemort's actions.
    My next guess would be that he made an unbreakable vow with Dumbledore to protect Harry's life, thus Dumbledore being able to trust Severus completely as any deviation would kill Snape. Snape despises Harry as he is like his father but he never tries to kill him, he always tries to prevent others from killing Harry also.
    I think that Harry will kill Snape in the 7th book, but discover he was wrong and be devastated.

This is all conjecture of course though!!!
    Re your second paragraph - good point; I don't have the book to hand, but if somebody could check exactly what Snape says when he makes the Unbreakable Vow with Wotserface; he vows merely to protect Draco, isn't it - there's no pledge of allegience to Voldemort, etc? What happened at the end means that any UB made with Dumbledore (and who was the third 'bonding' person, i wonder!) was not inconsistend with the one he made with the ugly sister in Chapter 2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

teenagers don't do magic either.

fiction

ahem. Fantasy. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭*marie*

There's a transcript of an interview with Rowling about HBP on http://www.mugglenet.com/jkrinterview.shtml, it's very interesting.

flyz wrote:
    My excuse for the padding:
    JK had to demonstrate that Harry has the one strength that Voldemort doesn't have, as the prophecy states, which is LOVE, hence all the mushy stuff with Ginny.

well of course that's fine, but the
    Ron/Hermione/Lavender AND Harry/Ginny/Dean AND Bill/Fleur AND, just at the end Tonks/Lupin and 90% of it didn't really add to the story, not even from a Love conquers all angle. Love, bah, who needs it :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

*marie* wrote:
    There's a transcript of an interview with Rowling about HBP on http://www.mugglenet.com/jkrinterview.shtml, it's very interesting.

Intresting interview, backs up whats been said about
    Lillys choice to stay and die

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

Fix That Someone Will See It!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 name_less

theCzar wrote:
    name_less wrote:
    Mordecai wrote:

ahem. Fantasy. :rolleyes:

you're right, my bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

I completely agree with a fair few of the theories expressed here already, especially
    the thing about R.A.B. being Remulus Black. I can't really add any more to that, my own views and "proofs" have already been mentioned by a few other people.

I also whole heartedly agree that Snape is working as a double-agent for Dumbledore. I think the bit mentioned in the previous book about Snape's feelings for Lily Potter may be quite important. I reckon that the reason Dumbledore placed so much trust in Snape stems from Snape's guilt for the death of the Potters (well, Lily at least), which was probably what caused him to turn away from the Dark Lord, and that Dumbledore ensured his absolute and total loyalty by asking him to make The Unbreakable Vow to protect Harry's life at all costs. It makes sense that this would be why Dumbledore placed such unwavering trust in Snape, and the death of Dumbledore was simply an unfortunate necessity to prevent the vow from being broken. I think that Dumbledore sacrificed his life for Harry's safety, and therefore the potential death of Voldemort (along with the possible redemption of other characters, such as Malfoy).
    My apologies if anybody has already said these things.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

i agree with some of the points but spoiler
    it is possible snape made an unbreakable vow with dumbledore,but not to protect harry,maybe to obey him at all times,maybe thats why he had to kill him,and i also agree that RAB is quite possibly Regalus Black

i agree with some of the points but spoiler
    it is possible snape made an unbreakable vow with dumbledore,but not to protect harry,maybe to obey him at all times,maybe thats why he had to kill him,and i also agree that RAB is quite possibly Regalus Black
    yeah,
    there are a fair few things i can see wrong with the Harry thing, but I'll be very surprised if there isn't an unbreakable vow involved somewhere between Dumbledore and Snape.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Dar

Am I the only one who finds the idea of Dumbledore forcing an unbreakable vow (or accepting one) on someone somewhat out of character? Dumbledore always seemed to place a lot of value on trust. What value has trust enforced with the threat of death?

I originally thought that, but how else would he have been able to bring himself to trust Snape? It has always seemed absurd that Dumbledore has placed so much trust in him, and this could be the answer. Unless Rowling has some other new spell or something up her sleeve.
    On the other hand, this whole trust issue could all just be to point out Dumbledore's ultimate weakness, simply pointing out that not even he is perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,172 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I think Dar's right about the
    unbreakable vow. What kind of message would it send to kids that you can't trust people without one? Rowling tends to be quite moralistic in the books and I can't see her having Dumbledore, who is perhaps even more loved as a character than Harry himself being untrusting to the same degree as the death eaters. Maybe we'll find out that Snape offered to enter into an unbreakable vow with Dumbledore refusing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

In Book 7, i think pehaps we'll see a deceased Dumbledore appear to Harry before the end ( ala Ben Kenobi/Luke in Star Wars, or Gandalf/Frodo in LOTR ). His exit was a little too sudden, we're bound to see more of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 RobertOLeary

Hmmm, just thought of one thing. When Harry and Dumbledore were discussing the Horcruxes, Dumbledore said that Voldemort was going to use Harry's death as the means to split his soul for his final Horcrux. What then happened when Voldemort's spell was reflected? The intention to kill should have split his soul, and I think that Harry became his final Horcrux.
    Think about the "beast" in Harry's chest. Wanting to jinx Dean into a jelly and so forth. Bit angry for a crush no? I do believe that that beast is Lord Voldemort's soul. If so, then Harry will have to die before Voldemort can be killed or maybe some form of two in one thing can happen, perhaps involving snape. Could wrap things up though I doubt JK Rowling would kill off Harry, however good an ending it would produce.

Again, only conjecture.

Think about the "beast" in Harry's chest. Wanting to jinx Dean into a jelly and so forth. Bit angry for a crush no? I do believe that that beast is Lord Voldemort's soul. If so, then Harry will have to die before Voldemort can be killed or maybe some form of two in one thing can happen, perhaps involving snape. Could wrap things up though I doubt JK Rowling would kill off Harry, however good an ending it would produce.

Again, only conjecture.

hmmmmmmmm. interesting idea. I hope it's true, it'd be a really cool ending. except if I discover it's true in book 7 i'll have to yell "Damn you RobertOLeary, you've ruined it for me"

although
    Does this mean Harry would have to sacrifice himself to finally defeat the big V man? I can't see Rowling killing Harry.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

agreed, but i think that
    We'll see an element of sacrifice from snape for harry, like taking a hit for him from dumbledore or something and thats how he'll die. i don't think that harry will be the one to kill snape.

Hmmm, just thought of one thing. When Harry and Dumbledore were discussing the Horcruxes, Dumbledore said that Voldemort was going to use Harry's death as the means to split his soul for his final Horcrux. What then happened when Voldemort's spell was reflected? The intention to kill should have split his soul, and I think that Harry became his final Horcrux.

Again, only conjecture.

First one is an intresting point
    There's mention in the end of the end of the goblet of fire about a sertain look in Dumbledores eyes when harry explained about Voldermort coming back. Could this have inadvertanly removed the Horcruxes from harry without Voldermort ever realising? or somthing along those lines

The second one I dont agree I think its just puberty ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

AGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH tooo much spoiler! I have to finish the book! 200pages left :(

There's quite a lot of conjecture on-line about Harry himself being a horcrux, though to be honest, I can't see it being true. Remember, Harry and Dumbledore have effectively identified the horcruxes in this book.

• Advertisement

No, they think they have.

No, they think they have.

Exactly, the last few are far from certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

they have 3 of 7.

Interesting interview on mugglenet.com, the founder got to interview JK Rowling and he shares our theory regarding RAB:
    MA: R.A.B.

JKR: Ohhh, good.

[All laugh.]

JKR: No, I'm glad! Yes?

MA: Can we figure out who he is, from what we know so far?

[Note: JKR has adopted slightly evil look here]

JKR: Do you have a theory?

MA: We've come up with Regulus Black.

JKR: Have you now?

MA: Uh-oh.

[Laughter.]

JKR: Well, I think that would be, um, a fine guess.
    Link to the interview: Do Not Read Unless You've Finished The Half Blood Prince, this interview would RUIN the book for you

http://www.mugglenet.com/jkrinterview.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

I thought the book was awesome -
    the fact that we've sene Harry's potential for letting his emotions get the better of him & the fact he tried to use an unforgivable curse not to mention seemed to have NO regrets about using that sectumsempra curse on Malfoy
    shows book 7 (which I believe JK has finished writing already apparently??!!!??) is gonna be a really interesting & dark tale with an ending I think we all expect....

I really enjoyed this book lots & have started reading the series again..... simply awesome!!!!!!!! I thought the Backstory with in was good, the identity ofthe "Half Blood Prince" threw me, thought it was someone else like Hagrid or someone..... is it just me or is this book when it becomes a movie going to be very very dark & slightly gorey????????

::: ven0mous :::

ven0m wrote:
    seemed to have NO regrets about using that sectumsempra curse on Malfoy

He regetted it the second he did it.

ven0m wrote:
    I thought the book was awesome -
    the fact that we've sene Harry's potential for letting his emotions get the better of him & the fact he tried to use an unforgivable curse not to mention seemed to have NO regrets about using that sectumsempra curse on Malfoy
    shows book 7 (which I believe JK has finished writing already apparently??!!!??) is gonna be a really interesting & dark tale with an ending I think we all expect....

I really enjoyed this book lots & have started reading the series again..... simply awesome!!!!!!!! I thought the Backstory with in was good, the identity ofthe "Half Blood Prince" threw me, thought it was someone else like Hagrid or someone..... is it just me or is this book when it becomes a movie going to be very very dark & slightly gorey????????

::: ven0mous :::
    JK Rowling has the plot in her head and a rough draft of the final chapter but the book is far from written yet. She's just had a baby as well so she's taking a year off before writing it. Don't expect Book 7 for another two years...

At this point I reckon Rowling is gonna come up with at least a few new unexpected spells and things to cover what'll happen next, all our theories seems far too obvious, bearing in mind we're basing them on the spells and such we already know of.

It wouldn't be a Harry Potter book without a few new spells and curveballs!

• Advertisement

Obviously, but I meant huge important ones that the plot completely depends on :)

Advertisement