Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IMPORTANT NEWS FOR IOL NOLIMITS CUSTOMERS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭ConUladh

You'd wonder though if the only people they intend to leave on it are those that'd probably be better off on a penny a minute effort, it'll be interesting to see how many people here get letters

I used to think Esat Good, Eircom Bad but they're all a big disappointment

I got the e-mail about ADSL from Esat as well, I'll believe it when I see it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Joe22

Moriarty id the % abuser is so small then it wouldnt efect them so much, the simple fact is theres a hell of allot of people leaving there connection on all the time, even if there not downloading anything.
    you guys that only use iol for for games say yea the hell with the abusers, kick them and we will get better pings, but what makes you think your not going to be the next one to get axed, all you need to do is play for more then £20 worth in a month and your coasting them,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Well, you all know what this means, don't you? We're going to have to go and get ourselves a life.

Eye ham zee Walroos.
    You ham zee Flyhead.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NekkidBibleMan:
    Well, you all know what this means, don't you? We're going to have to go and get ourselves a life.

</font>

say it aint so, noooooooooooooooooooooooooo

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Esat = w4nkers
    Eircom = w4nkers

we're all screwed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

if they aren't monitoring the connection then how did your man get a letter? I recon it is,nt random lads. I would guess that they montitor the people they disconnect after a long period of time. Then check the log file, if your name comes up a lot you are sent a letter.

its a pi$$ off but you can DO nothing...

yea yankinlk that likely, but the guys using less then a quarter of what he could be,
    its thats an abuser were all ****ed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Err of course they monitor the connection..
    ever look at your bill?

Seems to me they're not kicking people off because of bandwidth used, it doesn't mention that anywhere in the above letter, it is simply down to the number of hours spent connected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Digital Tilmitt

It's all cause of the evil Eircom Charging the IOL dudes too much, I was one day too late in signing up and now i'm stuck with this Gigantic Phone bill. Grrrr, hate Eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

smile.gif

Moriarty
    mrmoriarty@eircom.net

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Is that a genuine pic or summin u doctored up in psp?!?!!?!?!?!?

Longest I was ever connected was 30 hours then got kiked.

As for them removing peeps who use it the most how the hell can they monitor who is using it for so long!

Oh weel if they are kikin peeps for abusin the service them im gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Is this legal? How can they say you are abusing the service? If they didn't bring in a 3 hour cut off then tough sh*t.I don't see how they can have legal backing here. They give you a service entitling you to unmetered off peak hours and then they say you are "abusing it" if you use alot of these off-peak hours?! I can't see them getting away with that excuse. Give your lawyer a call smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

This isn't a surprise to a lot of people...

Esat could no way continue offering a flat-rate package for £20 a month, especially with the kinda users it attracts.

I think their reasoning behind it was that it would get them a lot of subscribers, which it has, and once Eircom were unable to charge them an arm and a leg; and unbundling etc. occured they would actually start making money.

It hasn't happened quickly enough however, and they're doing some major damage control.

I would agree with Kali, definately they're not just randomly kicking people off the service. They're picking the people who cost them the most amount of cash.

And I doubt it's illegal; as you all have to agree to their Terms & Conditions before use, and I'm sure there's a clause in there that states they can terminate your account at any time for any reason.

[This message has been edited by Kegser (edited 30-04-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I suppose if you were to bring them to court it would be on the false advertising of "No limits".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Yeah well I don't care see, cos I was the only winner of Saturdays Lotto (a government tax on people bad at math) and I'm getting a big fat cable connection, it's huge, 45 meters in diameter. I can download the new S Club 7 album in under 4.6 seconds.

Yes I have been to the pub..........sorry.

OOOHH,I hear laughter in the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Lord Khan

Hobbes about 10,000 individual cases of false advertising. ... yet nobody turns up cause they're all at home on the net spamming these boards :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

If you, (like me) got "the letter", please read this thread and write a letter.

They sure know how to turn people off ever subscribing to their services ever again.

- Munch

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by adnans:
    i can just picture the guys from DnC, Netshop and Nethouse rubbing their hands togheter. smile.gif

adnans
    </font>

That's really ****e...
    /me rubs hands together

Seriously... that is REALLY ****e.

www.doesnotcompute.ie
    www.gamire.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Jelvon

hmm , just got the letter today , "my usage pattern was not in the spirit of the service"
    excus meee Mr Eshat but I thought it was a business you were running... "spirit of the service" LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

I got "the letter" today, I'm a sad sad panda frown.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

Well i just got home to find the letter waiting for me.
    Funny how i knew exactly what it said before i even opened it.
    I just hope someone, with a bit of sense, steps in and makes us dedicated internet users a nice offer.
    Cos esat have just lost a lot of consumer confidence.
    If Eircom had any sense they would jump on this.

[This message has been edited by K!LL!@N (edited 30-04-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Apart from my college net connection, that's it for me. Come May 31st I will have no more web browsing. This is not a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Belisarius

It seems that that everyone is getting the eyponamous letter , Id say approx 15+ hours per week qualifies at least . Itll wipe out the boards anyway , until we all actually cough up for a normal connection . Also any chance they wont disconnect us immeadiately ? my experience with ISPs *Indigo Eircom* is that theyre monstrously iniffecient , back in the days of Phone charges+ Subscription i knocked off my Indigo and i kept it for the better part of a year

Shrewgar!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Guess there's always the real world. I'll probably go out drinking more so that's not a bad thing smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭ConUladh

Got the ****in letter this afternoon, *******s, my 70 hours last month obviously pushed them over the edge

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

they make it sound like it's a good thing that you're getting kicked off
    because they offer you a *special* off at the bottom
    what moran's fs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> ONLY in this stupid rock would this happen </font>

I hate to disapoint you, but its happened to nearly every flat rate isp thats been around long enough to realise that a lot of their users were abusing the system. UK, USA mainland europe, dig a bit on the net and youll find plenty of isp's who have cut their user base because of this.

It certainly isnt limited to our little rock.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I got it this morning:

http://iewebs.com/~dahamsta/images/misc/esat-morons.jpg

I have a message for Mr. Andrew Conlan-Trant if anyone lurkers work for Esat and would like to pass it on for me:

Hey Andrew? Andy baby? Don't be delighted to offer me anything man. Your company offered me a service, and now because of a positively idiotic lack of foresight - anyone with half a brain could have told you Surf NoLimits was an unsustainable product - you're punishing your customers for your own stupidity. Of course, it's quite possible that you did this on purpose, using SNL as a loss leader of sorts, but if that's the case, you're stupider still, because now I don't trust Esat as a service provider and will /shock, horror/ give my business to Eircon instead. If you /really/ want me to sign up for another service, do your bloody job and use Esat's substantial marketing assets to lobby the ODTR and the government to unbundle the local loop, like they were supposed to do on January 1. That's your goddamned job. If you can't do it, maybe you should choose another career.

Ok, that was the polite version. Here's what I really want to say:

Hey Andrew? Andy baby? Why don't you go **** yourself, you ****ing clueless *******. Don't blame me for your company's stupidity. ESAT ****ed up, not me. Why don't you offer yourself and the rest of the people in "Marketing & Products" a good kick up the **** for being a bunch of incompetent morons.

A very hacked-off hamsta

[This message has been edited by dahamsta (edited 30-04-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Too True brothers........Too True.

OOOHH,I hear laughter in the rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

I havent got time to read that letter,but my original pint was that they surely can't disconnect you for "abusing" the service.How the **** can you abuse it?!Of course a company can withdraw their service if they so wish/need to but I cannot see how they can make it sound like your fault.If they are going to drop users then the least they could do is be honest about it.

Advertisement