Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IMPORTANT NEWS FOR IOL NOLIMITS CUSTOMERS

Options
  • 28-04-2001 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭

Received this letter in the post today, I find the following odd because I’m away at college during the week and only use the internet on the weekend so I wouldn’t count myself as an excessive user but supposedly I am. frown.gif Well anyway hope no one else gets this letter on Monday morning, you’ve been warned.

26th April 2001

Having analysed our customer usage pattern of our IOL NoLimits service, it has come to our attention that some of our customers are using this service excessively. This over-usage puts considerable pressure on service capacity and affects the overall quality of the service for all of our IOL NoLimits customers.

Esat Fusion will no longer continue to support this high level of usage of IOL Nolimits as it is not in keeping with the spirit of the service and it is affecting the overall quality of the service for all IOL NoLimits customers. It is with great regret that I am informing you of this decision and that your usage level falls into this “over-usage” category. Consequently, your IOL NoLimits service will be discontinued on May 31st, 2001.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

so your the one to blame for my slow connection..!! Dam u !! biggrin.gif

They'd just randomly pick names, bull****ters.

All in all is all we are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Belisarius

Hmmn , theres not a doubt in my mind im for the chop , but out of curiosity , what would be your usual hours per week? .

On a wider level though ,this is a terribly sneaky way of getting out of thier commitments to thier customers frown.gif

Shrewgar!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

dumfounded i am...seems we are now going back and not forward..i really thot it couldnt get darker or bleaker - are we ever going to see the light at the end of the tunnel ?

ffs, they sent a tourist to space this week and we cant get better than eircom to sort a few phone lines?

prediction: 10 - 20 years from now there will be regular space buses running to and from a space station - down here on earth in most of ireland we will be stringing tin cans together between pcs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Joe22

all of a sudden im not so proud of my 1.2gig easter download, anywho next weekend is another bank holiday, im going to try for 1.5gigs, place your bets here. cry.gif

anywho i didnt sign up for spirit, ive got to believe that other people on my exchange are doing the same, they can dissconnect me but ill be in at their head office on june 1st if they do,

BTW esat dont monitor bandwhitch so how the hell are they ment to know, unless they persume were all screwing them over and radomly kick people off.this is what happens when an english company come to ireland to sell the irish a new toy

[This message has been edited by Joe22 (edited 28-04-2001).]

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

It's quite possible that this really has nothing to do with usage at all. They've already stopped accepting new customers, and now they're trying to get rid of the ones they have, because SNL simply isn't profitable. In fact all it generates are losses, because they're paying by the minute. If they didn't see this in the first place they're thick. More likely though, it was set up originally as a loss leader, but I reckon it'll be a fairly crappy one. I mean, who's going to subscribe to one of their other services after being booted off SNL? Unless they reckon DSL is in the home stretch of course...

adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭StarScream

my chances dont look good now of gettin no limits now frown.gif

joey joe joe junior shabadu...thats the worst name i ever heard

[This message has been edited by StarScream (edited 28-04-2001).]

SNL will rake in money just as soon as llu is settled, but i think esat realised that its going to be 6 months more in loss before it happens, i mean for every 120 they spend on me they see 30 back, haaa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Belisarius

Its an utter sham , I mean most players dont use conventional time anyway . IE: If you play at 8/9 in the evening your ping is double what you get at 1 in the morning , so we all play late , when we dont have to share the bandwith .

Shrewgar!

hey tobiwan you from clonmel village, ive got family not far from you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

If this those erm fix the massive ping prob well then woohoo for gamers but for the vast magority of users this is ******.

If they can't provide a proper service well well I'm going to sue their ass for breach of the consumer information act.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

A couple of interesting (to me) points:

1. esat snl has good pings relatively
    2. I paid the intial installation fee and no more (not the £20 a week anyway) yet I had Snl for 6 months.
    3. If eircom disconnects you for non-payment and you reconnect with them Snl works for 2 weeks roughly afterwards.
    4. I'm still waiting for cable.

Lunacy Abounds! GLminesweeper RO><ORS!
    art is everything and of course nothing and possibly also a sausage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

I reckon they just pick someone using the service after 12pm and asume they are the ones most likely to "ABUSE" there service so most irish online gamers may well be getting this letter.As for English are Ireland Online A uk company ????

Stone biggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tobiwan:

26th April 2001

It is with great regret that I am informing you of this decision and that your usage level falls into this “over-usage” category. Consequently, your IOL NoLimits service will be discontinued on May 31st, 2001.

</font>
    Are you a big downloader?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Actually, now I come to look at it again, I notice that they don't really define "over-usage". They could define that as the people who connect at 6.05pm and stay connected until they're done. And all weekends of course. I mean, how many of us do that for the simple reason that we can't get a modem when we try and dial in after seven o'clock or so. (Course, that's no excuse, we shouldn't really be doing that, but hell, SNL is vastly oversubscribed.)
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">If they can't provide a proper service well well I'm going to sue their ass for breach of the consumer information act.....</font>

No you won't. And if you did, you wouldn't have a leg to stand on unless you saved the original contract somewhere. And if you did that, you probably still wouldn't have a chance. smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭ConUladh

Last time I moved they wouldn't let me move my account to my new address, had to close it and set up a new one, moving again soon so looks like I won't be having SNL for much longer whether I get a letter this week or not

Anyone got any good/bad experiences with NTL's w/e thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

well eshat the shower of fagót cóq masters have done it again

they reek of mongness
    i can assure im in "this 'over-usage' category"
    since i signed up in september i can count on one hand how many times ive not been downloading stuff all night
    gigs upon gigs upon gigs.... ohh happy days frown.gif
    i must stock up on singe player mods for HL and such for the drought of internet for the summer frown.giffrown.giffrown.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

im generally connected all night(maximum amount of hours), but i dont download anything via modem,webpages,files.so maybe ill be okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

This is certainly worth an uproar. Incredible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭tobi

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Are you a big downloader?</font>

Nope, admittedly I do play Counter-Strike but normally after 12:00 cause that’s the only time I get a half decent ping. I don’t do much downloading, when I do its usually to update Counter-Strike or graphic drivers. I don’t leave my connection on all night and in total I spend between 12-15 hours online.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

It looks to me lik there trying to get rid of people that are not using the service. or new joiners. IE: people that joined with in the last 3 months.

as for the

"Esat Fusion will no longer continue to support this high level of usage of IOL Nolimits as it is not in keeping with the spirit of the service and it is affecting the overall quality of the service for all IOL NoLimits customers." part..............What a load of bull, when I joined 2 years ago that is why it was setup..........so ppl would not have to pay huge amounts of money for net access (but they took on to many people and now are making to much of a loss)

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭tobi

I’ve been using NoLimits for about 11 months now, when I signed up I was told I could leave it on all night if I wanted. I remember this cause I rang them to make sure there wasn’t any hidden clause but now it seems there is. I was home for two weeks over Easter when my Internet usage did sky rocket maybe this is where they’re getting their “over-usage”

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Try letting some of the people on this page
    hear your displeasure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

In fairness that is fvcking ridiculous! Hopefully it will be exposed. Its a total conspiracy to aleviate the pressure on their systems.

If it was really due to overusage, you'd think they would at least give a warning first > frown.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

ph34r.jpg

no more of that frown.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

well they didnt follow up on the 3 hour cutoff, so they seem to be going for the 'nuclear' option instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dahamsta:
    No you won't. And if you did, you wouldn't have a leg to stand on unless you saved the original contract somewhere. And if you did that, you probably still wouldn't have a chance. smile.gif</font>

Thats where the "NoLimits" name comes in... tad bit of a misleading name for a service which if you use too much of your gonna get banned from with no prior warning of "a limit".

Reminds me of that simpsons episode "Your honour.. does this look like a man who has had 'All He Could Eat'?".. good oul Lionel Hutz, and an all you can eat restaurant is a good analogy to this service.

I presume the contract can be found on any of the original Esat CDs.

As it is there are 118 off-peak hours available to users.
    I'd rate myself as a med-heavy user and put in an average of 52 hours a week... thats barely using 50% of the service your paying for.. and that is (perhaps) counted as overuse? Absolutely ridiculous.

never going to happen,ffs there would be riots in the street, esat would loose most of it bussiness, and the thing is that cant simple end the nolimits deal, as to many companies have it, its probably not looseing as much as you think but they are not making on it

well i have to say im one of the ones that uses 100+ hours a week, but my bill is £40 normally so kali i use 50% of what i pay for to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Im a nolimits user but i doubt id fall into the heavy-usage bracket, late night cs sessions being about it. If i wanna download anything big, i do it in college.

But what i find funny is that you think that they cannot kick ppl from a service that they as a business are losing money on, i mean, think would you. They are definitely not the first company to do this, a lot of other isp's out of this country kick their customers for staying on all the time and downloading for days on end as its simply making them lose money.

Yes they offered a service called no limits. And they have offered it for quite some time now. Anyone with it complains of too much contention(engaged/crap connect speeds), well isnt this one way of lowering the contention on the service, and making it better for the majority of users left on the system.

I agree that they will lose customers over this, but tbh i was thinking of leaving soon because the service was so bad.

I think ill wait till early june and see if it improves first wink.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Im inclined to agree with Snaga. The name of the product has no relation to what it offers, and customers shouldnt believe that it does. Picking up on an earlier post, made by joe22 iirc, you cant sue them, because iirc in the contract you signed when subscribing it says that Esat have the power to discontinue your subscription at any time with no prior notice, for any reason that Esat want. That clause is in most contracts of this type these days, to cover for this eventuality. So, all you can do is moan some, as Esat arent obligated to provide anything to you.

It was also mentioned earlier, that Esat dont monitor traffic through their servers. I am pretty sure that Esat could monitor throughput to each customer fairly easily. It is quite easy to setup a database that records how much each customer (identified with CLI) uses in bandwith, and when they are online. No big deal in setting something like that up. True, Esat should have expanded their infrastructure to cope with the increased demand from the amount of customers, but its also true that 99% of the people downloading a gig a weekend, or anything close to that, on a modem, are downloading warez, mp3's, and divx's. Esat prolly know this aswell, as they arent a bunch of twits. So, they kick off the 'abusers' to the service, and with a comparitvly small user percent cut, their backbone will become a lot less congested, and will hence improve for the majority of customers. I was subscribed to Esat SNL within the first week of its release, and i enjoyed the best pings i have ever got from any ISP past, or present, along with the best download rates i ever recieved. The small minority of users using SNL since then have ground the network almost to a halt. If i worked in esat, and was given the task of freeing up their network quickly, first thing id do is boot all the highest subscribers, and so would anyone else that knows what their talking about.

Anyhow - </rant>

Moriarty
    mrmoriarty@eircom.net

Advertisement