Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do I have to breath cigarette smoke.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭The General

Jeff Bond wrote:
    I have stopped smoking 3 years ago.

I feel great about it. My only problem is that I can't stand cigarette smoke anymore. It makes me feel bad physically and very very very bad mentally (i am ready to kill).

When I am stuck in traffic, I can't stand smokers who blow their smoke, window open, the smoke goes right into my car, and I am the one who have to close my window even though it is very hot. WHY? They should have to close their Window and breath their own smoke.

Some of you might think it's a bit of an extreme reaction, but this is actually how I coped with stopping smoking: avoiding smoke, stop inhaling it even if it is a small quantity.

Now, I moved in a new house, a real paradise, except that my neighbour is spoiling it : he smokes in the garden, the smoke is going in my house inevitably!! Again this might sound silly but it actually woke me up at 1.30 am on sunday. It smelled like someone was smoking in my room.

I can't possibly ask the guy to smoke somewherelse, it is his gaf, he s probably living there for years on and the garden is small (it wouldn t make a lot of difference where in his gardens he smokes). I can't close the windows either, it is too hot, and I can't sleep if windows are closed.

The guy may be in HIS garden, but HIS smoke is in MY house. :mad:

Heeeeelp me God!!

Please, no solution such as Kill yourself, or move to Iceland, or wear a gas mask :)

Quit moaning if you don't like smoke then stay away from it easy as that, i don't like sharks so guess what i do, thats right 'Stay away from them'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

what if a shark built a moat around your house and swam around 24/7

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Boggle wrote:
    Nice post rubadub but:
    How is the smoker damaging his health? The smoke has diffused so that there are only traces (the smell). Or do you mean in general?
    Yep I meant in general. thats why I said
    "I do not think you should be allowed to inflict reasonable levels physical damage on other people"
    I think the trace amounts of smoke is not going to cause reasonable damage to anybody, neither is bumping into somebody by accident in the street, but you see scumbags sticking their shoulders out on purpose to bump into people, I consider that deliberate unacceptable harm. I have no problem with the idea of smoking houses (although workers might), but pubs are primarily places to drink in. A persons right not to be harmed is more important than another persons right to cause harm (even if it is occurring incidentally).
    Car fumes probably cause some small amount of harm, if a guy drove into a pub on a scooter, filling the place with fumes, people coughing due to it, it would not and should not be tolerated.

Glue sniffing, though still perfectly legal to do in pubs or resturaunts would not be tolerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Mordeth wrote:
    so long as the friggin' thing isn't smoking a fag, I suppose it'd be alright :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭The General

Mordeth wrote:

:rolleyes: sharks can't build moats

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

maybe we should put a ban on people who smoke with in a 2kilometre radius of you or maybe we should make everyone who doesnt go to iceland kill themselves :D

or you can always start smoking again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Jeff Bond wrote:
    I want to make one thing clear. I do hate smoke but I do live with it. It is not just a question of "not liking the smell".
    The one place I do not tolerate cigarette smoke at all is my house and more specifically my bedroom, at night time, why is it so hard to understand. I said that it wakes me up, it's not just a question of 'I don't like it'.

I have to adapt to the smoker: I close the window. The bedroom is warm and there's no flow of fresh air, I find it harder to have a proper sleep.

And yes, the guy has the right to smoke in his garden...

Christ of almighty....buy a f*cking air conditioner then.
    ~€100 should get you a stand-alone unit...it's either that, or bake in the heat or put up with the neighbour's smoke. Did you ever consider that maybe the guy has kids in the house and wants to protect them from his smoke?

I smoked for upwards of 12 years, and quit fulltime smoking about 3 years back. These days I only smoke when I've had a fair bit to drink, or when it's combined with other substances.
    The only time 2nd hand smoke bothers me is when it's straight off the top of a burning fag right next to me...otherwise I have absolutely no problem with ambient smoke.

So in summary; buy an AC unit (maybe you could get a grant from the Health Executive? :D ) or else start up the habit again. Or move to Los Angeles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

Jeff Bond wrote:
    Why do i have to breath cigarette smoke

I feel for you man, really i do. I seriously hate this but we have to breath other peoples cigarette smoke because they are suicide smoke bombers...they have a mission: to kill themselves for the higher cause of cigarettes but they must ensure that us healthy people take in the effects too

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

would an ioniser in the bedroom not help with the smoke ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 244 ✭✭tails2

i have been watching this thread since it started but have not said anything yet.... just watching all of you smokers argue that you should be allowed to smoke where it is permited solely because you are allowed to. i even saw some of you argue that it is your RIGHT to be allowed to smoke and that others should put up with it because you are allowed to do it... well what a load of bo!!ox

firstly, to those who said that you cannot smell smoke that far away... by god yes you can, and it isnt some heightened sense of smell, its just that my sense of smell and taste is not tainted by all that crap you fill your lungs and taste buds with....

second about the whole right to smoke thing in public and what ever..... i think it should be banned... as a non smoker why should i have to breath your smoke at all... EVER... if i am walking on the street, an example henry street, and someone is smoking in front of me and the wind blows their smoke in my direction, why should i have to hold my breath or change direction or try move out of the way just because their stupid choice to smoke and their right to smoke says so... I SHOULDN'T.... i am not the one who decides to pay to kill myself, so why should i indirectly have to.

another this i want to argue is about people saying that its the OP's problem if he is disturbed by the guy smoking in the guys own garden and because he is smoking in HIS garden he is not accountable for it...

a simple arguement... if i guy fires a shot from a legal shooting range with a legal gun into the air(by mistake or because he was coughing cos he smokes and has kung cancer :D ) and the gun went off accidentaly and it the bullet travels across a few streets and it lands in someone and that person dies, HE IS HELD ACCOUNTABLE, DOESNT MATTER IF HE WAS IN HIS OWN GARDEN OR ON LEGAL TERRITORY. i know the analogy is a bit extreme but hey both kill...

and then finally to this...
    Boggle wrote:
    Buy a fan or an airfreshener.

why in the hell should anyone have to do that just because some foolish phuck decides he want to taint the air with smoke....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Ajnag

Ohhh, awww.... whats the matter?

Your smug quota run out after last years ban?

My heart and lung's bleed for you, you poor thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Jekell

There doesn't seem to be a lot you can do about this.

Regardless of whether you think smoking is harmful/unhealthy, it is legal, and that's all that matters

Get an air freshener, put a fan at your window

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

To Ruba - my apologies, I misunderstood obviously :D

I agree that a lot of people display a double standard regarding legality of drugs. But this is the standard that society (or at least Irish society) seems to endanger in the populance. Seems to be a symptom of the publics tendency to believe in the majority of the information the goverment/media feeds us.

As regards smoking, as long as anyone who wants to embrace Tails view of things discussed this with people who feel otherwise (like myself admittedly) there will always be debate like this. Tails embodies one extreme of the spectrum in this matter and I would be about 3/4 of the way to the polar opposite of his view.

But it's in my nature to refuse to allow myself to be bullied into anything, a trait which has caused me endless hassle in RL and on the web, and because of this whenever I see views like Tails my immediate reaction is to entrench myself in my own position.

As long as ciggarettes remain legal in this country we are granted the right, under law, to smoke. This is the exact same reasoning which is used to prove peoples right to anything within societies parametres. If you disagree with that, take Ruba's suggestion and contact your local TD to request that the law be changed.

I take some pride in the fact that I am generally an afable and easy going person. I take reasonable measures to ensure my pleasures do not impinge on others in a negative way and this extends to my smoking. Views like those expressed by Tails do tend to get my heckles up though :rolleyes:

<edit> I forgot to point out that I find Tails argument about guns rather specious. As has been pointed out several times, in the OP's case the smoke is so dissapated by the point it gets to him that the chances of it having any effect whatsoever on his health (besides his sleeping patterns) are practically non existent. The OP himself has agreed with this. The gun point merely serves to cloud the issues being discussed here. </edit>

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Macker

Quick quistion for the OP ,you've asked the question but you havn't told us what you think the solution is ....ban smoking ....ban smoking in back gardens ...all smokeing must be indoors ,windows closed ? god forbid some may escape.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

A couple of points,,

MorningStar...your repeated insistence that this is purely a psychological, ex-smoker's issue in the case of the OP is bull****. I've never smoked in my life, but the smell of cigarette smoke is disgusting to me, especially in my own home and bedroom. It makes me seethe.

And to whoever said get an air freshener/ioniser...they don't work, trust me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

the smell i hate most is that horrible smoke smell :(
    i just avoid it the bes i can,just try your hardest OP

Ban cow ****!!!
    Ban sea weed!!!
    Ban slurry!!!
    Ban farmers!!!

Honestly how fúcking bad is it when people bitch about the smell of something, or is it justifyed for the pious anti-smokers?

Tell ya what, take one soldering Iron, heat up, and then jam it up your nose's to burn out your olfactory nerves, failing that jam it up where the sun dont shine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

hats off to the man who invents the first odorless cigarette

Not to mention the first oderless hippie!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Evac101 wrote:
    I take reasonable measures to ensure my pleasures do not impinge on others in a negative way and this extends to my smoking.

personally I find that not a lot of smokers do have that courtesy and therein, perhaps lies the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Pet wrote:
    A couple of points,,

MorningStar...your repeated insistence that this is purely a psychological, ex-smoker's issue in the case of the OP is bull****. I've never smoked in my life, but the smell of cigarette smoke is disgusting to me, especially in my own home and bedroom. It makes me seethe.
    Well how do I argue with such a well thought out and well said point? :rolleyes:

Smoke does not make people physically sick the mind makes the body react like that. Unless you know psychological connection to smells you know less than me. I do know that when they experimented with smells to use as anti-riot "smell bombs". THey couldn't find a smell that all people found disustinge. They were sure that universal bad smells would make people run or get sick etc... They discovered people think of smell differently depending on their social upbringing. WHile rotting vegatables made western people get sick it had no effect on the indian natives. The reason being some asian food relies on decomposing vegatables. Further studies showed how western people smell faintly of sour milk due to the amount of dairy products we eat. Due to your up bringing and society your dislike for smoking is pronounced and acceptable.
    There are lots of studies about addiction and how smokers who quit can have pronounced psychological hang up with smoking. In simple life it is common knowledge that a reformed smoker is the worst type of anti-smoker. As somebody who never smoked you probably don't know that from experince but ask any smoker you know.
    Pet wrote:
    And to whoever said get an air freshener/ioniser...they don't work, trust me.
    Why should we trust you ? You don't trust what I have explained that has been proven. Your great arguement to it is "bull****", based on what? The fact you also dislike the smell? This guy liked the smell so much at one point that for 15 years he smoked. You think in 3 years he is suddenly going to get over being that accustomed to the smell that he will hate the smell. What many non smokers don't realise smokers actually enjoy the smell of smoke while they smoke (not all the time) . As somebody who has never ever enjoyed the smell of smoke and addiction of smoking how would you have any insight into the OP. Your dislike of smoke is your only link to him and you are coming from somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Drexl Spivey

Smoke does not make people physically sick ....They discovered people think of smell differently depending on their social upbring

If you drink a massive amount of liquor, get sick for days, hangover from hell etc... you won't like the smell of that particular liquor for years on, in fact it will make you sick.

Try to stop smoking for 3 weeks (you probably did at some stage), then light up: you'll have a taste of ashtray in your mouth, you won't throw up but it will be disgusting.

Passive smoking is not bad smell only you don't become addicted to the cigarette because of the smell, but because of the nicotine it contains(listening to you guys it's like smelling smelly socks)and anyway how exactly do you people assess the fact that the quantity of smoke I inhale is okay, especially that there is a distance. I never said what distance.Moreover you can't compare my experience to a once off, I am talking about regular daily passive smoking.
    Why should I run upstairs to close the windows everytime the man wants his fix.
    Why do you find HIM excuses (ex:"maybe he has kids and he doesn't want to smoke at home" so not only it is my problem if he smokes but it's my problem if he has kids lol)
    I find your total lack of compassion disturbing.
    You can tell a reform alcoholic that his problem is mental (nobody is making him drink for god sakes), but telling me that smelling the filthy smoke of my neighbour in my bedroom, nope, it is not in my head

Closing the Window and/or using air conditioning is not a solution (it is the solution so far), it denies my the right to breathe fresh air during my sleep. Here again, it is perfectly acceptable to snokers that I am denied the right to breath fresh air at night but when I bring up such a thread, I am accused of third reich manners....

Lighting incents ? Well it's no fun to have to keep burning incents and it is not possible to do so at 2 am
    Anyway, the negative effect of tobbacco do not disappear.

Saying that it is my problem is not entirely correct, and it is not fair at all. The smoke that I have to inhale because of him is a drug. I was honest when I said I was a reformed smoker, but my thread would have been perfectly valid without this information.

A poster asked me: what is the solution according to me.

Well, there is a big dilemma, the guy has the legal right to smoke in his garden and I have to close my windows as a result. That is why I posted on boards, I wanted feedbacks
    Non-smoker or reformed smoker or even smoker who wants to stop smoking: it is impossible to avoid smoke even with a smoking ban. There's always a smoker that is going to have his fix and share the fix with you (wind in your face etc..).
    I think I'll try to speak to the guy as soon as I have an opportunity.

SMOKE IN MY BEDROOM!??
    jack.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ajnag wrote:
    Ban cow ****!!!
    Ban sea weed!!!
    Ban slurry!!!
    Ban farmers!!!

hmm those things don't smell bad....smoke does ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Jeff Bond wrote:
    i ever said what distance

well tell us...
    I think I'll try to speak to the guy as soon as I have an opportunity.

let us know how that turns out, i must say im very curious how that conversation will go...

toiletduck wrote:
    well tell us...

let us know how that turns out, i must say im very curious how that conversation will go...
    Wouldn't mind being a fly on the wall for that one, meself...

Jeff Bond wrote:
    If you drink a massive amount of liquor, get sick for days, hangover from hell etc... you won't like the smell of that particular liquor for years on, in fact it will make you sick.

That is a mental thing not a normal reaction. Do I need to define it so that you know what is mental and what is a physical reaction? Your problem and will probably cause you to smoke again have you even looked up the subject instead of complaining?

Good luck with talking to your neighbour but you know when you were smoking where you would tell somebody to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Drexl Spivey

Lads, if the opportunity arise, then I'll talk to the man.

But it could take a while. Anyhow I'm not counting on this.

Further to what I wrote. To those who say it is my problem. I say that it has little to do with me. The fact that I am a reformed smoker and that I am the one bothered and who initiated this thread is not the problem. My bedroom could be my kids bedroom (if only I had kids!), or my old mother's bedroom.

One shouldn't have to inhale cigarette smoke in its own house. (nor car fumes but that's a different topic! ;) )

How is the smoke getting in? Isn't it you who leaves a window open?

It is not the fear of passive smoking that is the problem you have rated highly. It has always been smell you tagged passive smoking on later. Admit what your issue is and don't try to muddy the water.

Passive smoking is highly over rated as a danger and there are alot of debate about it. There probably is more risk to your health form the cleaning products in your house and the fire retardents used in your furniture.

You can lie to yourself all you like but don't expect others to believe it.

What would the ideal reply to your posts be here, Jeff?

That your neighbour should give up smoking in the open air because (and Christ alone knows how the laws of physics are so darned different around your neck of the woods!) it would seem the entire output of his lungs seems to be going straight in your window. Remember - that's where the passive smoking stuff comes from - the output of lungs, cos it's that smoke that's been thru the chemicals in the filter that cause the 'harm' not the result of tobacco burning itself...

I mean, if that's the case fine. Like I said, I look forward to your report of the conversation you have with your neighbour...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Jeff Bond wrote:
    I find your total lack of compassion disturbing.
    There is a lack of compassion because it is legal with no real stigma attached to it, most people have many friends who are nicotine addicts.

Glue sniffing is perfectly legal, yet has a stigma attached, if your neighbour was sniffing glue out the back and the smell was getting into your house you would find people had more compassion. Even though it is legal and the smell of the glue does you relatively little harm. But glue sniffers viewed are nasty little scumbags, whereas some people still view smoking as sophisticated :rolleyes:

Many laugh off the idea of tobacco being a drug, when people ask me in work "where is so-and-so?" when I know they are outside smoking I sometimes answer "they are outside abusing drugs" or "out smoking drugs" always gets a good response, "oh yeah, never thought of it like that, lucky bastards, they actually get time off work to do drugs, its well for some".

Advertisement