Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do I have to breath cigarette smoke.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Jeff Bond wrote:

HO, and for those of you who want me to die ...I've got bad news for you ....
    You'll die before me, and you know why! Mouhaa ha haa :)

After 15 years of smoking? Maybe if you get cancer checks every two years. The damage does just repair itself as some would let you believe. The best way to avoid cancer killing you is to catch it early not just avoid cancer casuing items because that includes everything (burnt toast, chips etc...)

You keep avoiding the dead straight points to give out about the more extreme views I'm sure that's easier to do but it won't address your problem with your neighbour just get you irritated more.

You aren't over your addiction and you don't know how to address it so that you can interact in the world around you. It just happens your current issue is more socially acceptable and sounds like it is on the side of right. The problem is being right doesn't mean you can live a happy comfortable life.
    How is the smoke getting in to the room? You never answered this is it coming in the vent or the window or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

To be honest it sounds like while you don't smoke you still have issues to deal with. Your addiction to cigarette was a lot more than physical as is the withdrawl is more than just not smoking. Your description of how it makes you feel is not a natural or normal reaction. It is your own feelings on them that is making you feel so sick. It probably stems from the method you used to quit by making the mear thought of cigarette worse and worse in your mind. You now feel fear,distain, etc.. and are processing it incorrectly into anger. Not a huge problem you just need to do something about it and acknowledge what your problem is.
    That's just my understanding from what you have described but if you look up addiction you might find that some help even though you don't smoke. It's like fixing a broken leg if you don't do it right you will have a limp the mind is not much different.
    I don't smoke anymore so I could be projecting.

I agree. Doesn't seem normal to be bothered by someone smoking outside their garden. I quit smoking for about a year and a half, and during that time, I was more sensitive to tobacco smoke if someone was right next to me puffing away, but someone smoking in a pub wouldn't have bothered me at all.

There's none so pure as a reformed hoor. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

Jeff Bond wrote:
    What do you mean everyone??
    EVERYYYOOOONNEEEE!!!!!!

Gary Oldman in Leon

And appreantly my sig was too big???

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Jeff Bond wrote:
    99% mental? Thanks doctor. The smoke wakes me up at night, every night. How is that mental.
    Well, the nicotine in your system leaves the body after a few days to a week, so any cravings after that are most likely mental. You've already expressed a fear about taking up the dreaded weed again so on that basis that part at least is 100% mental.
    And who wouldn't be upset.
    irritated perhaps. This level of upset? very few would be this obsessive("bad physically and very very very bad mentally (i am ready to kill)")
    Pleeeeease would smokers stop their analogies with car fumes, barbecues, radon gas etc, there is no comparison. (you forgot people picking their nose, commercials on the tv.......)
    Actually there are comparisons but you're too blinkered to see it.
    The problem here is that I have to inhale the smoke in my own house on a regular basis. For crying out loud, if it continues like this I will have the same cravings the guy has (19h, 23h, 2h).
    Again I refer you to my above point about nicotine leaving the body.
    I told the story to numerous people and they all had a reaction of disgust just thinking about it. Some were smokers , others were non-smokers.
    Disgust? God the horror. :rolleyes:
    One of the lads here in the thread said that I wouldn't change my mind. He is right, I will not change my mind simply because it isn't a matter of opinion, it is a matter of tollerance (physical that is, not mental)
    In what context are you using the word tolerance?
    Stop the cyber stoning for a while and be honest: I'd be interested to know:

-Are you a smoker
    Yes, Cigars and the odd pipe.
    -What is your level of tollerance (what would you condider to be not acceptable)
    To smoke? Quite high obviously. To others actions I find irritating? Quite high as well.
    -how old are you (the level of tollerance varies if you're in your 20s or 30s)
    In my 30's. Are you saying my tolerance to smoke or my tolerance to other peoples actions are different now? I'd be interested to know your age as you sound a mite immature in your responses IMHO. your comment about living longer than others being a good example.
    HO, and for those of you who want me to die ...I've got bad news for you ....
    You'll die before me, and you know why! Mouhaa ha haa :)
    As Morningstar pointed out you've as much chance as the rest. Look at your genetic background. That will give you a rough idea how long you're going to live. In my case, barring accidents and bad luck I'm likely to see my 90's(like my male relatives. All of whom smoke. Some more heavily than me). If you do die prematurely(hopefully not) It will not be from secondhand smoke, as not a single verifiable case of death from that has ever been reported. Your primary smoking for 15 yrs and stressing over relative inanities will see you off quicker.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Drexl Spivey

Well, the nicotine in your system leaves the body after a few days to a week, so any cravings after that are most likely mental. You've already expressed a fear about taking up the dreaded weed again so on that basis that part at least is 100% mental.

I don't have cravings, I don't feel the need for a smoke.

I guess it's a bit like when you have a massive hangover, you are sick, and
    somebody is making you smell Whisky when you wake up.
    It's not about cravings, it's more like a stimulus, a reaction.
    irritated perhaps. This level of upset? very few would be this obsessive("bad physically and very very very bad mentally (i am ready to kill)")

I take it. I shouldn't have used the word "kill"

Actually there are comparisons but you're too blinkered to see it.

Pollution is a different topic. Car fumes are not addictive drugs.

In what context are you using the word tolerance?

I am taking about physical discomfort.

Let's say you're in a room, it's getting hotter and hotter. At one stage you will have to open the window.
    I can tolerate smoke in a house party (to a degree) for example, but having smoke in my bedroom at night is beyond my line of tolerance.

In my 30's. Are you saying my tolerance to smoke or my tolerance to other peoples actions are different now? I'd be interested to know your age as you sound a mite immature in your responses IMHO. your comment about living longer than others being a good example.

You obviously took my answer like I was implying something about your age.
    In fact, I was making kind of a survey, I was asking everyone.
    The reason is that I think that different age groups will have different answers.

I didn't imply anything about your age and your comments so chill out, no need for the "immature" thinggie.

As per my last comment it was a joke. My former neighbour (who was a smoker too, damn I'm not lucky!) was 79, and smoking on a daily basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

Just as a quick point:

As I started reading this post I immediately felt my hackles rise. I finished reading the various comments, etc and realised I'd taken an extreme (and unfair) dislike to the OP. Is there any other smokers who've contributed to this thread who also felt threatened momentarily by it? My immediate thought was 'Oh God, here it begins - the campaign to ban my remaining addiction'. After pausing for some consideration how I came to the conclusion that Jeff is just a recovering addict who somewhat oversensitive to the old habit.

As regards some of the more strident respondants sympathising with Jeff:

I too have a habit which I broke, which caused damage to my body, and frequently leads to damage to other peoples bodies as well. Given your views I have no doubt you will join me in lobbying the Goverment to ban alchohol. Similarly overindulgence in caffeine has been clearly demonstrated to cause damage to the liver and cause overstimulation of and damage to the adrenal glands. Loud music damages hearing and can cause temporary sterility (due to the vibrations), so do we ban it or simply issue concert goers with ear and crotch muffs? :rolleyes:

You've won you're war people - you have smokers banned from places of business, you have the 'popular' moral highground. Please stop the witch hunt and leave us to destroy ourselves and our bodies as we wish. Frankly I don't want to quit at this point - call it my ornery nature but if a whole bunch of people insist that I should do anything with the level of smugness I've encountered since the smoking ban came in I'll take the opposite course to annoy them.

Sorry, but this subject keeps rearing up, and each time I feel a need to defend my right to be stupid if I wish to.

<At this point I suspect that a whole lot of smug people will post 'Don't jump off the cliff' :cool: >

<edit> By the way, before someone raises it - yes, the majority of alchohol odours irritate me and at least smokers don't wander around Ranelagh late at night singing loudly ;) </edit>

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Jeff Bond wrote:
    You obviously took my answer like I was implying something about your age. In fact, I was making kind of a survey, I was asking everyone.The reason is that I think that different age groups will have different answers.
    Nope I didn't imply anything, just wanted clarification. :rolleyes:
    I didn't imply anything about your age and your comments so chill out, no need for the "immature" thinggie.

As per my last comment it was a joke.
    Yes it was, a silly immature joke. It's your perogative to make it, just as it's mine to slate it as such. In any event suggesting I chill out coming from such a source as yourself is a bit silly, given your postings.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If crack cocaine was still legal would people mind the smoke coming in their windows?

rubadub wrote:
    If crack cocaine was still legal would people mind the smoke coming in their windows?

It was never legal Ruba :D

Similarly it was never taxed in this country under the grouping of 'sin taxes' which alchohol also falls under. So, your flippancy aside did you have a point? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

To the OP: Are you implying that you should have the right to prevent your neighbour from smoking outside his own house?

Also, the smoke will have diffused so much by the time it reaches your room that you cannot be placed in any position of harm. Not liking the smell is a different question - just as well you don't live in the country! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

I have to say I totally agree with Jeff Bond...
    I'm a non-smoker and have never smoked & the smell of smoke drives me nuts.
    Where I work there's a smoking hut about 10 foot away from my office, but people insist on smoking directly outside the window. The smell drifts in & lingers for ages, making me sneeze. I can't stick anyone smoking near me anymore at all...
    I think its a really filthy habit & can't understand why anyone would take it up. I don't understand what the appeal is at all!

To Oral:

You absolutely have a right to be repugnated by the smell, you should be thankful you don't understand why people smoke!

But do you deny people the right to do it if they chose to?

If so when does the line get drawn as to what is and is not permissable for society to restrict based on health?

It's a very slippery slope and we're standing on the edge.

Regards,
    Evac101

Evac101 wrote:
    To Oral:
    But do you deny people the right to do it if they chose to?

If so when does the line get drawn as to what is and is not permissable for society to restrict based on health?

No, I don't deny people the right to do what they choose, however I do think everyone has the right to breathe fresh air. I think there are a lot of selfish smokers out there (not everyone) - ie - the blow the smoke right at you and its really irritating.
    It's also really annoying to see people throwing their butts and boxes on the ground at bus stops etc. when there's usually a bin pretty near to the stop/shop/whatever.

Agreed Oral that being a smoker does not give one a right to litter. On the subject of 'in your face': Myself and my (oh so) better half both smoke but we ensure all the windows in our flat are open - not to minimise the smeel for ourselves but there are a couple of friends who find it offputting so we take them into regard in that respect and by leaving the flat (exit stage back garden!) for smokes while they are there.

Think a little bit more understanding is all thats required - and possibly less rhetoric on my part:P

Yeah I don't really have a problem with considerate smokers..

I grew up in a house where my mother who smoked, never ever smoked inside & when my brother then took up smoking (why I'll never know) he too smoked outside, so I guess that's the standard I'm used to.

Being a hay fever sufferer, I find the smoke really gets to me, so I just can't stick it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I'm a smoker in my 20's. I understand most of the misgivings of nonsmokers, I accept that may habit may kill me, and I feel it is a matter of courtesy not to smoke in the vicinity of someone who finds tobacco smoke offensive.

I'm in agreement with the smoking ban, I won't light up in someone's house without knowing they're totally ok with it, I won't even smoke in doorways so as not to offend those passing in and out.

But the OP is taking this way too far! Second hand smoke, outdoors, from a distance, is NOT going to do you any harm, whether you find it offensive or not. I accept you can still smell it (I've no idea how, from that distance, and after the diffusion of beiong outdoors, but I'll take your word for it) but I can tolerate plenty of 'offensive' things like this. Frankly, I find the OPs disdain of smokers offensive. Smoking is my problem, not yours, I don't like smoking but I HATE the stigma people attach to it. Get over it non-smokers, as long as someone isn't smoking in the same room as you or blowing smoke in your face you're not gonna get hurt.

Oral Slang wrote:
    I have to say I totally agree with Jeff Bond...
    I'm a non-smoker and have never smoked & the smell of smoke drives me nuts.
    Where I work there's a smoking hut about 10 foot away from my office, but people insist on smoking directly outside the window. The smell drifts in & lingers for ages, making me sneeze. I can't stick anyone smoking near me anymore at all...
    I think its a really filthy habit & can't understand why anyone would take it up. I don't understand what the appeal is at all!

The difference is with Mr. Bond is he did smoke and his discription is beyond a reasonable view point of disliking smoke. Most smokers don't realise the smell travels so far and you only notce once you quit. THe smell can travel but you can also smell flowers from outside too. Bond needs to deal with his own problem as people will always smoke. Some anti-smokers are as bad as inconsiderate as some smokers. Former smokers often end up with emotional limps like bond here. It is really standard addiction stuff it just happens his problem is socially acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

to the op: Buy a high speed desk fan, place it beside the window pointing outside,turn it on, viola! No more smoke...

Evac101 wrote:
    It was never legal Ruba :D

Similarly it was never taxed in this country under the grouping of 'sin taxes' which alchohol also falls under. So, your flippancy aside did you have a point? :p

Are you taking the piss? of course crack cocaine was legal here. My point is people are complaining about his annoyance telling him he should live with it, would these same people simply view people smoking crack around them in the same way. Would people who think smoking should be allowed in pubs mind if people were smoking crack in pubs? Just want to see if they are hypocrites, I suspect they are.

rubadub wrote:
    Are you taking the piss? of course crack cocaine was legal here.
    Excuse me rubadub I think it is you who is extracting the urine. When was crack cocaine ever legal here? Cocaine was legal up to latter years of the 19th century, but crack cocaine, a highly concentrated form of the drug was only developed much later. Way after cocaine itself was proscribed. I'd love to see a link that proves your case. I really would.
    My point is people are complaining about his annoyance telling him he should live with it, would these same people simply view people smoking crack around them in the same way. Would people who think smoking should be allowed in pubs mind if people were smoking crack in pubs? Just want to see if they are hypocrites, I suspect they are.
    If crack cocaine was a legally available, taxable drug, then yes, I wouldn't mind if people smoked it in a premises where it was legal to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Ajnag

Oh my,
    Theres a career in fundementalism waiting for you,

In the words of the worlds most hated man:
    Let freedom reign....
    and my addendum:
    ...BITCHEZ!!!

On a post note and an edit:
    Theres an intresting point of human psychology here - No matter how hospitable and comfortable the environment(esp considering the smk ban) some miserable bastards will always long to have everyone else join them in their misery.
    Nothing make's my day more then seeing a miserable unhappy bastard frowing while accesorised with the latest most expensive item of social status. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Drexl Spivey

cornbb wrote:
    But the OP is taking this way too far! I accept you can still smell it (I've no idea how, from that distance, and after the diffusion of beiong outdoors, but I'll take your word for it) but I can tolerate plenty of 'offensive' things like this. Frankly, I find the OPs disdain of smokers offensive. .

I want to make one thing clear. I do hate smoke but I do live with it. It is not just a question of "not liking the smell".
    The one place I do not tolerate cigarette smoke at all is my house and more specifically my bedroom, at night time, why is it so hard to understand. I said that it wakes me up, it's not just a question of 'I don't like it'.

I have to adapt to the smoker: I close the window. The bedroom is warm and there's no flow of fresh air, I find it harder to have a proper sleep.

And yes, the guy has the right to smoke in his garden...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Jeff Bond wrote:
    And yes, the guy has the right to smoke in his garden...

Q.E.D.

Jeff Bond wrote:
    . I said that it wakes me up, it's not just a question of 'I don't like it'.
    Yes but you ignore the fact that it is your problem. YOU have not come to terms with YOUR addiction, look it up for yourself. Your problem wakes you up not the smoke.
    If you were afraid of birds and didn't go outside it would be your problem not the birds.
    I understand it all feels so physical but it is not a physical reaction it's a mental one. You obviously didn't feel that way when you smoked so you didn't react to smoke pysically as you do now. It's not an alergic reaction

Wibbs wrote:
    When was crack cocaine ever legal here?
    Before it was illegal...
    Wibbs wrote:
    but crack cocaine, a highly concentrated form of the drug was only developed much later. Way after cocaine itself was proscribed.
    Do you know how easy it is to make freebase cocaine? far easier than extracting cocaine itself, any chemist producing an extract would produce several different compounds to test stability etc. True it only gained popularity in the 1970's, just like mdma only became popular in the 1980's but was patented in the early 1900's. Do you really believe nobody smoked freebase cocaine until the 1970's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭shuushh

your not inhaling his smoke unless hes smoking those magic cigarettes

Anyone notice how easily this issue polarises views (including my own).

Anyhow....Ruba, irregardless of how much you know about the chemistry required to produce crack coke, you don't have to put up with my smoke in clubs, pubs, businesses, resturants or any other public premises. In fact I would hazaard a guess that you don't have to put up with anyone smoking in any of those areas. So why the drive to eradicate it completely? And, in the pursuit of that, to restrict my freedoms?

As long as my habit has no impact on you I fail to see what right, if any, you have to attack me. If you peruse my original post you'll notice that at no time do I attack the OP, or anyone else on this thread.

Evac101 wrote:
    So why the drive to eradicate it completely? And, in the pursuit of that, to restrict my freedoms?

As long as my habit has no impact on you I fail to see what right, if any, you have to attack me. If you peruse my original post you'll notice that at no time do I attack the OP, or anyone else on this thread.
    I wasn't attacking you, sorry if you thought I was. I never said I want to eradicate it, I advised the OP to contact his TD and ask for it to be banned completely. I would love to see all drugs legalised, including heroin, cocaine, methampetamine. I do not think you should be allowed to inflict reasonable levels physical damage on other people, end of story, whether it be mugging a granny, punching somebody in the face, spraying mace or other toxic or irritating gases in peoples faces or dispersing it into the air near people(including tobacco, cannabis, heroin, crack smoke). I think you should be allowed to smoke in your own home or garden, (I only mentioned that I can smell it in my workplace and home).

What pisses me off is the double standards and hypocrisy people have when it comes to drugs.
    "Oh, if it is legal it is fine. "
    "There must be a reason it is illegal"
    If alcohol was discovered today it would be treated as the biggest drug epidemic ever. Imagine if people only used cannabis in the way people drink, then young lads started drinking. Imagine the press it would get, easy to overdose on, cheap, kills brian cells, MASSIVE increase in street violence, pregnancies etc etc.

I mentioned heroin and crack to let people stand back and see nictoine for what it is, and why the OP may be upset, most medical literature regards nicotine as THE most addictive drug known. If he said the neighbour was smoking heroin and he could smell it I doubt he would have got the same responses of "live with it" "go kill yourself" etc.

You should be allowed to destroy your own body/health but not other peoples while you are at it.

I have to adapt to the smoker: I close the window. The bedroom is warm and there's no flow of fresh air, I find it harder to have a proper sleep.
    Buy a fan or an airfreshener.

• Advertisement

Nice post rubadub but:
    You should be allowed to destroy your own body/health but not other peoples while you are at it.
    How is the smoker damaging his health? The smoke has diffused so that there are only traces (the smell). Or do you mean in general?

The passing car exhausts while walking down town are probably just as harmful...

Advertisement