Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do I have to breath cigarette smoke.

Options
  • 12-07-2005 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

I have stopped smoking 3 years ago.

I feel great about it. My only problem is that I can't stand cigarette smoke anymore. It makes me feel bad physically and very very very bad mentally (i am ready to kill).

When I am stuck in traffic, I can't stand smokers who blow their smoke, window open, the smoke goes right into my car, and I am the one who have to close my window even though it is very hot. WHY? They should have to close their Window and breath their own smoke.

Some of you might think it's a bit of an extreme reaction, but this is actually how I coped with stopping smoking: avoiding smoke, stop inhaling it even if it is a small quantity.

Now, I moved in a new house, a real paradise, except that my neighbour is spoiling it : he smokes in the garden, the smoke is going in my house inevitably!! Again this might sound silly but it actually woke me up at 1.30 am on sunday. It smelled like someone was smoking in my room.

I can't possibly ask the guy to smoke somewherelse, it is his gaf, he s probably living there for years on and the garden is small (it wouldn t make a lot of difference where in his gardens he smokes). I can't close the windows either, it is too hot, and I can't sleep if windows are closed.

The guy may be in HIS garden, but HIS smoke is in MY house. :mad:

Heeeeelp me God!!

Please, no solution such as Kill yourself, or move to Iceland, or wear a gas mask :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

I hope you realise now how you were making others feel back when you did smoke, i hate the stuff too. So much in fact that im worried about going to pubs etc. abroad this summer, having gotten so used to the clean air in our Irish pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

put on a gas mask ,go to iceland and kill yourself (and put the e back in breathe)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

stagolee wrote:
    put on a gas mask ,go to iceland and kill yourself (and put the e back in breathe)

not everyone who posts here speaks/writes english as a first language

jeff
    I also suggest that you put on a gas mask, move to iceland and or kill yourself.... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Yeah I'm the same way.
    Every time a car drives by my house... I can smell the foul stench coming in the windows, lingering all over my house and it makes me retch.
    I've been trying to avoid car fumes ever since I stopped driving, and the fact that I have to put up with car fumes when I go outside is unacceptable.
    Well see-ya, I'm off to kill myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

Beruthiel wrote:
    I also suggest that you put on a gas mask, move to iceland and or kill yourself.... :D

if it gets any hotter i will

EDIT:well i'm pedantic and i'm also wrong, according to dictionary.com breath is a correct spelling of the word as you meant it ie. to inhale or exhale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Can I be flippant and say that you may as well live with it. If you can detect the lingering smell of fag smoke from that kind of distance, then your sense of smell is far too sensitive, and God only knows what you make of other lingering odours like dog poo on pavements etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

solution: lighten up!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

The only reason it's bothering you so much is cause you're far too worked up about it.
    see toiletduck's advice. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

toiletduck wrote:
    solution: lighten up!

Ha! Much better than "lighting up" in this case... :p

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I would have to agree with the op... Im a non smoker and always have been and I cant stand the smell of smoke... The smoking ban is great but now I find I cant walk through town particularly near pubs without crowds of people out on the footpath blowing smoke in my face... I know its pointless ranting about it because smoking is never going to be outlawed, not in the forseeable future anyway but it just gets up my nose (excuse the pun)... I live in a period house which has been converted into apartments so I share a hall and landing with about 6 other residents, one of whom happens to be a chain smoker and the smell of smoke in my apartment when he is smoking in his is disgusting and I know there is absolutely nothing I can do about it appart from have a rant :rolleyes: so there you go... rant over!.... Phew!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

youve got to be kidding.
    the amount of smoke exhaled by a smoker into the air is going to diffuse so much that its going to be fairly non existent with 5 - 6 feet.

Chalk wrote:
    youve got to be kidding.
    the amount of smoke exhaled by a smoker into the air is going to diffuse so much that its going to be fairly non existent with 5 - 6 feet.
    It might not be as potent from a few feet away but I think its the smell that the op was complaining about... for a non smoker the smell can be quite unpleasant... If I am in the upstairs room of a house and somebody is smoking in the kitchen I can smell it, it may not be strong enough to endanger my health but it still stinks.. I think thats the point the op was making

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Drexl Spivey

Thank you all very much for your input.

Though l fail to see the parallel between smoking and : the heat, my spelling, car fumes, dog poos, etc ...

Beruthiel, after second thought, I am not going to Iceland: THERE IS NO SMOKING BAN!
    Plus I am not alone, my partner couldn't live without my moaning :)

stagolee, I don't need to put an 'e', you're here to do it instead.

I suppose all those smart ass are people who smoke and who actually never made the effort to stop smoking. It is easy to take the piss. It is not easy to actually make the effort to stop smoking and stick to it. :)

Toiletduck and Bizzy, you may be right.it s gonna be hard? (is the spelling ok????)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Jeff Bond wrote:
    Toiletduck and Bizzy, you may be right.it s gonna be hard? (is the spelling ok????)

should be "it's" rather than "it s" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭crazymonkey

There is nothing to be done, the man has a right to smoke in his own garden, i didn't realise u nonsmokers would be that senitive to somke,,

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

xzanti wrote:
    I would have to agree with the op... Im a non smoker and always have been and I cant stand the smell of smoke... The smoking ban is great but now I find I cant walk through town particularly near pubs without crowds of people out on the footpath blowing smoke in my face... I know its pointless ranting about it because smoking is never going to be outlawed, not in the forseeable future anyway but it just gets up my nose (excuse the pun)... I live in a period house which has been converted into apartments so I share a hall and landing with about 6 other residents, one of whom happens to be a chain smoker and the smell of smoke in my apartment when he is smoking in his is disgusting and I know there is absolutely nothing I can do about it appart from have a rant :rolleyes: so there you go... rant over!.... Phew!

I agree with this 100%. I cant stand the smell of smoke its disgusting and I have no idea why anybody would want to start. I cant sit in a room with someone who smokes I always think of some reason to get out and away from them I also try to avoid poeple who are smoking while walking down the road. Its just a horrible habit and it absolutley STINKS and its also the most unattractive thing I have ever seen. Nothing puts me off a girl more than if I see her smoking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

To be honest it sounds like while you don't smoke you still have issues to deal with. Your addiction to cigarette was a lot more than physical as is the withdrawl is more than just not smoking. Your description of how it makes you feel is not a natural or normal reaction. It is your own feelings on them that is making you feel so sick. It probably stems from the method you used to quit by making the mear thought of cigarette worse and worse in your mind. You now feel fear,distain, etc.. and are processing it incorrectly into anger. Not a huge problem you just need to do something about it and acknowledge what your problem is.
    That's just my understanding from what you have described but if you look up addiction you might find that some help even though you don't smoke. It's like fixing a broken leg if you don't do it right you will have a limp the mind is not much different.
    I don't smoke anymore so I could be projecting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭shuushh

oh get over yourself, sounds like its half in your mind to be honest you feel ill when someone smokes in their own garden ?

sounds like you need a cigarette

Kingp35 wrote:
    I agree with this 100%. I cant stand the smell of smoke its disgusting and I have no idea why anybody would want to start.
    I know, I cant understand how the whole thing got started in the first place.. "oh I think ill roll up some of this smelly weed crap, stick it in my mouth and set it on fire, that might feel nice!" Im no angel myself but I just dont see the attraction :eek:

To be honest it sounds like while you don't smoke you still have issues to deal with. Your addiction to cigarette was a lot more than physical as is the withdrawl is more than just not smoking. Your description of how it makes you feel is not a natural or normal reaction. It is your own feelings on them that is making you feel so sick. It probably stems from the method you used to quit by making the mear thought of cigarette worse and worse in your mind. You now feel fear,distain, etc.. and are processing it incorrectly into anger. Not a huge problem you just need to do something about it and acknowledge what your problem is.
    That's just my understanding from what you have described but if you look up addiction you might find that some help even though you don't smoke. It's like fixing a broken leg if you don't do it right you will have a limp the mind is not much different.
    I don't smoke anymore so I could be projecting.

I don't think I have a problem : how would you feel if you were regularely woken up because of someone else? Angry I suppose. You maybe right when you say that I feel fear, I'd be afraid to go back smoking like before.
    I don't feel addicted because if I don't smell smoke, I don't think about it for a fraction of a second. And when I smell it, I find it disgusting.

I don't think I made myself clear on one thing: it does smell like someone is smoking in the bedroom. I am not being fussy (this time) :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 neady

Why don't you rub some Vicks Vapour Rub under your nose before you leave your house? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

Ah the multiple uses of good old Vicks... :D

Giles wrote:
    Ah the multiple uses of good old Vicks... :D
    Tiger Balm is better ;)

neady wrote:
    Why don't you rub some Vicks Vapour Rub under your nose before you leave your house? :D

LOL

Hey, that might actually work!!
    :D

(it won't help to avoid passive smoking side effects though)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

I suggest you take up smoking again. It's the easiest way out of this situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

I've very little sympathy for former smokers, I always think it's about time they see what they've been putting other people through, so it serves them right.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Chalk wrote:
    youve got to be kidding.

Maybe you are a smoker and hence have a poor sense of smell and taste. I can smell smoke in my work window on the second floor about 50ft away from where people smoke. Women have a better sense of smell, my sister can smell smoke in the house several days after somebody has smoked in the garden.

The original poster should contact his local TD and ask for the drug to be banned, I think there is some group in the UK looking for an outright ban. I find it bizarre that it is still legal, it contradicts any logic of the other drug laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Spicy Lauren

I'm the same Jeff Bond, I've given up smoking tobacco a year and a half ago and I just cant stand people smoking around me anymore! I cant help myself coughing out of the blue, I think it's a nervous reaction to my old addiction...

It's sh*te and annoying because it really makes me wonder how intolerant I can be, when in fact I used to smoke cigarettes as well!

What can you do?
    My advice is: LIVE WITH IT!

On a lighter note, I wish people who farted didnt do it in pubs, because THATS for sure one of the most disgusting smells on Earth!

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Jeff Bond wrote:
    I have stopped smoking 3 years ago.

I feel great about it. My only problem is that I can't stand cigarette smoke anymore. It makes me feel bad physically and very very very bad mentally (i am ready to kill).

When I am stuck in traffic, I can't stand smokers who blow their smoke, window open, the smoke goes right into my car, and I am the one who have to close my window even though it is very hot. WHY? They should have to close their Window and breath their own smoke.

Some of you might think it's a bit of an extreme reaction, but this is actually how I coped with stopping smoking: avoiding smoke, stop inhaling it even if it is a small quantity.

Now, I moved in a new house, a real paradise, except that my neighbour is spoiling it : he smokes in the garden, the smoke is going in my house inevitably!! Again this might sound silly but it actually woke me up at 1.30 am on sunday. It smelled like someone was smoking in my room.

I can't possibly ask the guy to smoke somewherelse, it is his gaf, he s probably living there for years on and the garden is small (it wouldn t make a lot of difference where in his gardens he smokes). I can't close the windows either, it is too hot, and I can't sleep if windows are closed.

The guy may be in HIS garden, but HIS smoke is in MY house. :mad:

Heeeeelp me God!!

Please, no solution such as Kill yourself, or move to Iceland, or wear a gas mask :)

kill yourself.

Or just suck it up [pardon the pun], people have habits that offend and irritate others, I'm sure you drive at least 5 different people absolutly mental with things you do that you see no problem with.

A man has a right to smoke in his own garden, so either learn to tolerate it, or move to a biodome somewhere outside Dublin and never leave its protective bubble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Geez GET A F**KING LIFE! and they say ex smokers are the worst..... well theres yur proof. X-(

I think the problem here is like all reformed alcoholics or drug addicts u want to remove all traces/temptation from your life, and therefore feel u have some sort of religious right to stamp out all blasphemers.
    [face_mad]

Your bitchin and moaning makes me phsyically sick. :(
    I suggest u get counselling to get over your irrational fear of smoke.
    either that or get a job as a fireman to beat yur phobia. :D:p

Advertisement