Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxegen - how was it for you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭niallith

it was a great weekend, had soo much fun, got burnt to crap yesterday but who cares :D
    highlights were definatly rodrigo y gabriela, just amazing and audioslave and prodigy were very good too
    bad parts where got a really **** campspot well mucky wise, turned into a swamp after the first night,(a9-a10) anyways was great fun, probly will go again next year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

Foo fighters put on a good show. "Best of You" and the song at the end (cant think of its name) stand out.

Everlong?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Foo fighters put on a good show. "Best of You" and the song at the end (cant think of its name) stand out.

Everlong?
    Breakout. Great tune!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Was listening to a lot of the show in the car driving around Portmarnock, Malahide and Howth yesterday. Foo Fighters did sound class alright, and Breakout sounded especially good. The Killers sounded, ehm, mediocre. In a way I was happier to be listening to the gig from my car, driving around in some of the nicest weather we've had all year with the windows down. I could have been in a mucky field instead, getting slowly getting burned and eating over-priced food. One day was enough for me! Or maybe I'm just getting old...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

foo fighters were amazing tbh. I have seen them the last 5 times theyve been here and this was the best performance. stacked actors live always owns!!

everlong on his own was pretty amazing. i was in the pit for it and i was on my own cause all my mates went to james brown. i just went fcuking nuts!! and Cold day in the sun was classic! Taylor is also quite the frontman!

rodrigo y gabriella were amazing tbh. we couldnt get into the ten but we could see and hear perfect where we were outside the tent.

audioslave were quite disappointing tbh. while i did enjoy hearing the ratm and soundgarden songs i just thought it was rather boring.

I find that when im not in the pit i dont really enjoy it.

feeder were quite good but as i wasnt in the pit again i didnt really enjoy it. i like to jump and i amnt jumping in a big space in the field.

saturday was a different story. i missed so many fúckin bands i wanted to seee over the weekend it was a joke but saturday was the worst. i watched snoop dogg while waiting to get into the pit for qotsa and he was quite entertaining but he was milkin the olé olé... thing.

qotsa were good but im not a fan of the new stuff really. they need nick oliveri onstage and mark lanegan missing was also notable.

we then decided to go back to the campsit as there was a 2 and a half hour gap until kasabian. I had a lie down i my tent and fell asleep and my ****in mates forgot about me :rolleyes: and i woke up and all i could hear was "smack my bitch up!!!" and i was just sayin to myself "my god youre an idiot". lol

all in all it was an ok weekend. id say i had a better time last year as i saw more bands and i misssed too many that i wanted to see this year and even the campsite wasnt as fun i thought but the foo fighters really saved the weekend for me. I had so much fun. im a huge fan and i had nothin bad to say about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Crash&Burn

Well what can I say what a weekend...

Got in on saturday went striaght for the loo's seen as the one's in the campsite where in a heap....seen the loose cannon's in the bacardi b bar they were ok even tho the sound got messed up.

Had to catch a bit of the saw doctor's for that classic N17..was ok nothing to write home about.

Headed over to see a bit of Connor G in the dance tent was class...full of kids of there head on E so was not my scene left the dance tent to it's self for the weekend nothing worse then seen a load of kids chewing the face of themself's

Then we went down for the sing along of the weekend with snoop tbh if i hear any one sing ole ole ole again I will not be held responsible for what I will do. All in all he put on a good show.

QOTSA well tbh he looked like he did not wanna be there since ur man with the baldy head was not there seemed to be a lot less craic.

The Frames started slow then they got a lot better one of my favorites I think as well that Glen looks like Avid Merrion from Bo slecta!

What happened to bright eye's was lookin forword to seen him ?

Interpol what a band omg they stole the show there was even people out side the tent lookin in at them I hope they come back to ireland to do a show.

Greenday were mental apart from that crowd surf bussines that was going on jeesh the amount of kick's in the head I got.

The master's of them all The Prodigy what can I say out of this world even tho Kieth and maxium look's like there gettin a bit old to be going so mental.

Headed back to the campsite drank till 6 am then could not sleep passed 8.30 am with that sun had to get up and go to the loo but that did not happen as I got sick every were with the state of them. U could smell the crap 30 feet away from the loo's.

Sunday

Feeder 10/10

Suzanne Vega 8/10

Alabama 3 6/10

Mundy 6/10

The street's 6/10

The Killer's 8/10

Rodrigo y Gabriela's 11/10 ( dont know what you are all given out about?)

Foo Fighter's 4/10 could not stick it down there after the kick's in the head I got at Green-day.

The man him-self Mr James Brown 10/10 what a show.

Well I am going to get some more After sun before my skin fall's off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

Saturday:

Got into the pit early and saw the last half of The Stands. Saw Doctors had a good buzz about them on stage, and a few cringe moments (don't get up on the cart, when they're bringing in the hay, the farm is not a place for play - or something along those lines, can't remember fully except for wincing). Didn't really know the Kaiser Chiefs but they were pretty damn good live, the singer got real worked up and did a few sprint laps of the stage. From the way people talked about them (in the campsite and the few posts above this) they made a fair few fans from their performance. Razorlight was one of the bands I wanted to see and the reason we went in early to the pit (to get good spots to see them). Was kind of dissapointed with their performance, they seem to lack something live, didn't come off that polished. My ankles were ****ing killing me by then so I went to sit down at the campsite for a while. Went to see Bloc Party on the Ticket Stage, who were good. Didn't know the singer was black :confused:. After that it was a trek back to the Main Stage for QOTSA, who I liked (although i've seen no other performances to compare). Lost my friends at this and spent about 4 hours wandering around trying to get a message through the blocked network. Didn't want to see anyone else and went back to the campsite for some alcohol after seeing about two minutes of Green Day.

Sunday:

Got up late. Applied sun cream liberally. Audioslave were amazing, didn't know they did rage against the machine covers, tried but couldnt get into the pit :(. Maximo Park on the Ticket Stage were also quite enjoyable. Collapsed at the back of the Green Tent with some friends around the time the Futureheads were playing. Can't really remember what they were like. The La's seemed ok, only song that stuck out was the one with "There she goes, there she goes again," etc. Didn't go to the Killers, had had enough of them from the posse of fat girls in the tent next to ours who kept playing them on the goddamn stereo. Got up and went to the front of the Green Tent for Embrace (wanted to get up the front for Rodrigo y Gabriela). Surprised at how enjoyable they were, they seemed pleased at how many people turned up for their show, considering that 2 minutes before they started there was a line of people two deep in front of the stage, and by midway through the tent was packed. Quite like them now. Rodrigo y Gabriela were amazing, although I'd prefer to hear what they're playing instead of cheering really loud. :cool:

Camping:

I didn't quite enjoy the camping. It was a tad too uncomfortable, and we didnt bring any chairs (note to self: foldable stool). Plus the mud had a nasty habit of getting everywhere in the tent. Also by Sunday the smell from the urinals had .. wafted. :( We were in campsite A (A1), so we were close to the big screen, which was fun. Best part was everybody dancing to the music from O Brother, Where Art Thou, just as we were packing up and leaving. Kick ass :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Swarfboy

Sat was my only day.... Can't afford the baby sitter for a full weekend...
    Give it up to the Snooooop.... a new peacher man was born on Sat...
    He didn't expect it and neither did the crowd.........Only the few can move the masses like that....and for that alone he was worth it...
    QOTSA... rocked no matter what anyone says.....they rocked where I was anyway..
    After that it was Kasabian, and they put on a blindin show.... enough to warrant missing out on Green day......
    Then The Go Team.... Great band for all those old selector fans...
    Ian Brown... what can I say... never thought I'd hear the masses chanting Stone Roses songs again..... Greeeaaatt.!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

"Great band for all those old selector fans"
    goddammit! i knew they reminded me of someone! :) fair play still tryna rebuild braincells..........

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭PhiliousPhogg

Why the hell did Bjorn Again headline the main stage on Saturday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭My name is Mud

Crash&Burn wrote:
    Rodrigo y Gabriela's 11/10 ( dont know what you are all given out about?)

you are a sheep. follow the heard matey...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I think they were just to come down from the main acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

While I agree there RyG are hardly artists that are breaking boundries in terms of their music they are certainly original at something like Oxegen. I only went up because my GF is a keen guitarist and she wanted to see what they were like and I was extremely impressed. They put on a hell of a show, got the crowd involved, and were definatley one of the better performances I saw over the weekend.

I also noticed you put them in the "disappointments" part of your original post, just because you dont think their act is original or new. Did you even go and see them?

And by using the same logic would you not put Kasabian (who were one of your highlights) in there too seeing as they are another group attempting to cash in on the still popular Stone Roses sound (complete with haircuts to boot)?

I cant think of and previous classical Spanish guitarist to really make a break into the popular scene but Kasbian are just the next in line (and boy is it a big line) to be pretenders to the SRs throne.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Trip Hazard

Had a great Weekend, saw some brillent acts...

The Saw Doctors were great kicked off a great festival for me, got into the pit for them and stayed there for the whole day with no food, drink or toilet breaks,

Razorlight were pretty good

Keiser chiefs were great

Snoop was classic(i'm a huge snoop fan) Pretty much the same gig as the point in feb but good none the less

So many people got it right already QOTSA lasked something on stage, maybe the old bassist

But by far the best act on saturday and all of the weekend had to be Green Day, I've only been a fan for about a half a year but they were amazing on stage, the backdrops, the pirotechnics, and of coarse the amazing performence. absolutly brillent one of the best show i've ever seen. well worth staying in the pit all day for.

Sunday was a good day too, although that was NOT festival weather, scorcing sun and your standing in the middle of a field surrounded by people there was no escaping that dreading Sun, anyway

Audioslave were great,

The Streets were Good but their more siuted to a smaller indoor gig

Feeder just did their thing they were ok

the killers were OK i was in a really bad spot for them i caould hardly see the stage

Foo Fighters were great had a good lighting set up on stage but nothing compared to Green Day on Sat. Dave Ghrol did his funny thing on stage which is always good,(you gotta love this..."GET THE F**K OFF MY STAGE"), and he performed the songs really well, they finished the set with my favorite Foo's Song Breakout, which IMO was a brillent way to finish a festival.

All in All I Had a great weekend but the main stand out gig was Green Day By Far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

I'd have to agree with Jivin.

While I didn't see RyG I did hear they put on a great show. Originality in music is a different concept to putting on a good performance. I don't know of many other Spanish guitarist that were in line for oxegen. I think the fact that they were there provided a massive slice of originality for the festival.

My name is Mud - "Follow the herd"......you are probably in the same group of people who bought the Killers album over a year ago, played it non stop and then when they became mainstream popular stop listening to them because they "have sold out". Just because loads of people like a certain band does not mean that they are all just there due to media/Popular sensationalism. Obviously RyG's reputation has grown in the last year or so and a lot of people like them. Disliking them based on the fact that the majority do like them is just you trying to be different. Why did you go to Oxegen in the first place, surely you were just following the herd?

As regards the Killers, I think they are better suited to the smaller stage, they would have been brilliant in the Green room etc.. although I did think they put on a good show even if the sound was poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Nea wrote:
    Can anyone tell me what Audioslave's setlist was?

Can't remember the order of songs but

Cochise
    Like A Stone
    Show Me How To Live
    Your Time Has Come
    Be Yourself
    Doesn't Remind Me
    Spoonman
    Black Hole Sun
    Killing in The Name Of
    Sleep Now In The Fire

Anyway I only saw The Frames, The Prodigy and Audioslave. glad to hear QOTSA were a disappointment as they were one of the bands I went for but ended up missing them. The Frames were good, didn't expect much as I only knew a few of their songs beforehand but they managed to pick me up after disappointingly missing qotsa.
    The Prodigy were fantastic. Up the front, great crowd, great atmosphere, Voodoo People.
    Audioslave were good but the sound was poor so they could've been better. Even though the RATM and Soundgarden songs were great (would've prefered non-acoustic Black Hole Sun) I would have preferred to hear more Audioslave songs, though with an hour set I suppose there's only so much you can fit in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭HarryHoudini

Well Flogging Molly kicked off the festival for me, wasn't too impressed, they were kind of like the Pogues on speed and only 1/10th as good.
    Hung around the main stage saturday, Kaiser Cheifs were cool. Razorlight were cack, that lead singer of theirs is way too cocky, and a bit of an idiot to boot.

Snoop Dog kicked off the day for me, he was class, just p*ssed myself laughing through his whole set, it was all good after that.
    The Frames were cool, could have done with some more banter from Glen but I guess the tight schedule they had to stick to meant it wasnt possible.
    I'm not a massive Green Day fan but man they f*cking rocked the place on Saturday night, best performance of the festival for me.

I was on a mission Sunday to check out some my favorite lesser know bands, so none of that Killers/Keane sh*te.
    Seen Rilo Kiley who were excellent, so glad i got to see these, the're one of my favorite bands, Alabama 3 were class too. Went to the dance tent to see LCD Soundsystem who rocked big time, then finished the night in the green room with James Brown who did the best 50 minute rendition of Sex Machine I ever heard, class stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Crash&Burn

Ehh I have followed them since they played in Mother Riley's in Rathmines so think again , any way if u want to rant about them go to the rant bored I am not in the mood to bicker with you over a band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

your statement saying theres nothing original in it is utter ballix. for one thing that is likesaying oh look at foo fighters they are a four piece rock band, nothing original there. are you to say that because the clash or someone did punk that nobody else should ever try it again. rod/gab are highly original in the way they play, they mix louds of different elements into their music. people aren't sheeps for likeing them i think that alot of them realise how good they are.
    and also Rodrigo is a big Anthrax fan so he is all good in my books

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

WTF. The clash aren't punk. They're JAZZ!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭The jock

Feeder very good

Rodrigo y Gabriela amazing

Foo Fighters totaly amazing

I have being following Rodrigo y Gabriela now for a few years and they are truly mindblowing there songs foc and mr tang are truly amazing and there covers of stairway to heaven and one are fantastic.I have all their albums and ive seen them live twice now and they get better every time i see them,very original work even the cover songs are nearly totaly different.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭anthonymcg

"We're all ****ing wrecked". lol Meeting punters tonight in town from scotland to rip it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭anthonymcg

Why the hell did Bjorn Again headline the main stage on Saturday?

Cos everyone was pretty much drunk or high off the Foos. Me? I was a mix of both plus we were playing ronan o'gara penaltys with some inflatable couch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭spiderlegs

Bloc Party rocked socks,and I caught some kinda squidgy ball thing that Russell threw out.Echo and the bunnymen relly put on a fab performance as well.....Have to say I found the Progidy relly good.New Order were amazing couldn't believe it when they played "she's lost control" and "love will tear us apart" Audioslave were really good but I was queuin' up for the pit at that time so I couldn't fully pay attention....
    Fookin great lineup and gig overall.I'm very happy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Sweetness!

Jimmy Eat World were feckin' amazing, they were definitely my favourite act of Sunday if not the whole weekend, I just loved every song they played the setlist was great!
    Bloc Party were great even with all the technical difficulties they still pulled off a fantastic show.
    I missed QOTSA for Echo and the Bunnymen and I don't regret it one bit because I heard QOTSA were dissapointing and Echo were brilliant, when they played 'The Killing Moon' I was so happy.
    New Order were also a great act. I couldn't get into the Green Room to see James Brown so I saw abit of The Foos and then New Order. When they played 'She's Lost Control' I just went crazy as it's my favourite Joy Division song.
    The Prodigy and The Doves were excellent live and I'm really glad I saw them aswell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

dregin wrote:
    WTF. The clash aren't punk. They're JAZZ!!
    i am in no way an authority on the clash but they were punk, they were dffernet to other bands at the time by incorporating other styles into there music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

WOW THAT WAS JUST THE ABSOLUTE BEST WEEKEND OF MY LIFE EVER!!! :D The weather, the people, the music, the alcohol, the atmosphere and the sex :D were all absolute f**king amazing. Its gonna take something even more special next year to top Oxegen 05'

Oh well the music.... WOW! I didn't see one poor act apart from The Streets.... fabulous.

Green Day 9/10 - I've been converted from a casual fan into an absolute massive Green Day fan after that performance. Most enjoyable show of the weekend.
    Foo Fighters 7/10 - Ok nothing special, some songs were amazing (All My Life, The One, Monkey Wrench) but Grohl murdered Everlong sadly. New songs lack that live bite.
    Queens of the Stone Age 8/10 - ignore the critics, they were out of this world. Josh Homme is God......... who's Nick?
    The Killers 7/10 - Dunno if it was me but from where I was there seemed to be trouble with the sound from where I was. Despite that it was a solid performance
    Rilo Kiley 9/10 - Green Room for only 30 mins? Travesty. Without a doubt the best half hour of music you will ever hear from a band. They better be further up the bill in 2006.
    Snoop Dogg 7/10 - Incredibly enjoyable show. I don't like hip hop but Snoop knows how to get a crowd going! Did OTT it at times.
    Kaiser Chiefs 8/10 - So much fun, sounded brilliant, look ofrward to seeing them higher up on the bill in another 12 months
    Razorlight 7/10 - A good solid show from Borrell and co. but can do better. Crowd didn't react to them sadly.
    The Streets 4/10 - Terribly dissapointingly poor. Skinner did my head in with his ego.
    The Saw Doctors 8/10 - The first band I saw and did they do a fabulous job of getting the crowd going. Great craic.
    Keane 6/10 - The band bore the arse off me and still do after their snooze fest. As the bloke with the sign said ''SHUT UP KEANE'' you whining gits.
    The Frames 7/10 - Another band who usually bore the arse off me aswell but fair play, the got me up from lying down in the pit to giving it loads in the pit. Great show.
    Jimmy Eat World 7/10 - Solid rocking show from a band who really should be bigger than they are.
    Feeder 7/10 - Another solid perfromance. The old stuff.... typically amazing, new stuff..... poor. Please get back into the studio and make your Britrock anthems again lads.

Oh well I'm devastated that I missed Kasabian, The La's, Bloc Party, Ian Brown but you cant possibly see everyone can you but at least I saw a bit of the legendary Fightstar! Was I the only person signing Busted tunes during that set? :cool:

Oh 2006 who do I want??? The Libertines, Babyshambles, Manics, The Coral, Blur, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Rolling Stones, The Who, Nirvana.............. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 hyperali

thought killers were ****e i was far away but i thought they may as well have just put the cd on the sounds system and that would have had the same precence as what they actually did
    myhighs were audioslave i was in a big mosh pit which was great fairly close. i dont know really any of their music but enjoyed it thouroughly. was anyone around the area where the security guards stopped the mish pit by kicking the **** out of three guys and draging them over the railing they kicked some guy in the face?
    rod y gab were ****ing class i loved them so much im following them about two years no wbut never have been able to get to one of their concerts as ive been broke. i think they are original and all they need is two guitars and a little coloured lighting to get the whole place going. i was up the very front row in the middle and while i dont know much about guitar wasnt her slap adn tap technique quite orignal. they seemed to be very flattered at the amount and happy to jam rather then play it coldly to their audience. they had such chemistry they worked together fantastically perfect rythm apart from one practically unintelligible mistake of timing. they were always looking at each other while the other played nodding approving keeping rythm. fantastic
    was hoping to see jimmy eat world but didnt make it
    was in the pit for greenday what a great show- all lights and fireworks and everything but i kinda thought thye should have cut some of the blabber out and got down and played music
    foos- excellent got down and just played it out i liked the taylor and dave swap seemed interesting and different. he also made afun dedication to his wife of wanting to finish the tour so he could shag her and make a baby. lol
    loved all their stuff but i was left wanting way more
    my voice is gone but it was all worth it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

the killers had as much crowd participation as greenday/foo fighters IMO. The amount of hands in the air for Mr. Brightside and Andy, You're a Star was on part with Greenday's set!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 hyperali

i cant deny that the crowd loved them there was a lot of singign along. i love the killers i know every word of their hot fuss album i just think(may be stupid) that a band should be able to be or sound different or play something different when they are live. thats why i think we pay to see them like audioslave played a rage song. i had high expectation and i was quite let down i expected them to sound like the song but i found his voice strained like on live 8
    the crowd put in far more than they did i thought

Advertisement