Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxegen - how was it for you?

Options
  • 10-07-2005 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭

Well I know there are still plenty of people out there today, but there are some people (like me) who only went for the Saturday. So what did you think?
    Here's what I got to see:
    Snoop Dog - great performance, although I really could have done without the "Olé Olé Olé" - why is it you hear that at every fecking Iish concert you go to?
    QOTSA - quite disappointing. Without Mark Lanegan and the bass player there was something missing. Not great
    The Bravery - Very enjoyable. Catchy songs, good performance
    Athlete - not too bad. Only watched them to kill some time, but still pretty good
    Kasabian - really excellent. It was starting to get dark, and the lights worked really well for this
    Go! Team - Excellent. Very small crowd, but I gues this made it even better.
    Green Day - think this would have been a great show, but only saw the first 20 mins, which were pretty good
    Prodigy - meh, they were ok. I saw them at Witness a few years back, and this was slightly better, but still not great. I think they are past it by now...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I missed QOTSA (my favorite band) - thank god they were disappointing!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

dublindude wrote:
    I missed QOTSA (my favorite band) - thank god they were disappointing!!

Yeah, I thought QOTSA were lacking a certain something too. Seemed uncomfortable. Kinda lacked soul.

Edit: "soul"...am I straight out of the committments or wha... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

Yeah,i think the Queens have lost some of their enery on stage since Nick Oliveri left,and does anyone know who the their new keyboard player is? Interpol,Biffy Clyro and bloc Party were the highlights of the day for me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Scratch Acid

How were Bjorn Again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

Was around for bjorn again, was sitting on the grass a good bit back, seemed ok.

Green Day were Brilliant. Really enjoyed watching them play.

The saw Doctors were good craic aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

QOTSA just plain sucked. So dull.

Snoop was pretty good. he's fairly charismatic.

Saw Doctors are always good, v. entertaining

Kaiser Chiefs were my favourite of the show. Lead singer is really determined to get stuck in

Razorlight were also disappointing.

Green Day were pretty good, better than I'd expected.

Pity I missed the Go!Team. I'd like to have seen them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

Ian Brown was great, as were Jimmy Eat World. I'd never heard Bloc Party before but they had the most entertaining stage show apart from the foo-fa when the singer said it was great to be back in the UK (!).
    Jacques le Cont was excellent.
    I couldn't get into James Brown but I heard he wasn't as good as expected so I was happy enough to watch Foo Fighters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Libero

Performance of the weekend: The Magic Numbers!

OK, OK, I only saw a fraction of the acts but really enjoyed TMN in the New Bands tent, followed by the second half of Doves, including a few angry rants directed at the security goons. Greenday weren't bad but are a bit of a pantomime band with too much call-and-respond with the audience.

Also was lucky enough to stand 6 yards from Paul Smith and see Maximo Park do an intimate 2-song accoustic performance in the MTV bit in hospitality. Great weather made Sunday a classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dimitri

just home now i havent slept since thoae wonderful 4 hours i got sat night but i have to say kaiser chiefs really rocked, never gave them much time before but what a show!! green day put on a mighty show as oppose to the foo's who simply came on and sang their heart out(so very very well) so that basically depends on which you prefer but what really stuck out for me was how great audioslave sounded and how poor the killers were, they really were very bad, also my friend said she heard nothing where she was behind the tripod speakers!! throughly enjoyed the frames too but kaiser chiefs really stood out for me, probably because i wasn't expecting much from them but i'm defo gonna buy their album now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

"why is it you hear that at every fecking Iish concert you go to?"

it's the rallying tribal cry of the unhealthily drunk being let out on their own! :D hahaha!
    i only just remembered this now embarrassing but i think it raised the bar a little & snoop gave it loads cos the audience were with him.albeit in a drunken singalong fashion, beaaaatch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Norinoco

Had a fantastic time. Thank god it didnt rain after friday night - got burned alive yesterday with factor 30 on. In agony this morning.

The portoloos wernt as bad as I remember them from last year, which is all good.

In the pit for Foo Fighters - Thought they were really good. :D

The Streets - Very poor. :(

Audioslave, Kasabian, Bloc Party and Kaiser Chiefs all excellent. :)

Rodrigo y Gabreilo (sp?) seemed to have the crowd going - was only there for 5 minutes. Couldnt see them. Think they might be better suited to a smaller venue.

The Killers wernt bad - seen as they had only 1 album to go off of they did well.

The Prodigy - Talked way too much, but was up the front and the atmosphere was fairly good.

RazorLight & QOTSA - was lost and traumatised during both of these, so couldnt really enjoy them.

Keane - Not bad, same as last year. The crowd seem to enjoy them.

Cant wait for next year!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

highlights: green day, eagles of death metal, mundy, josh ritter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Funny, I saw QOTSA at the start of June and they were really good, a real improvement over Slane 2003 if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Yeah,i think the Queens have lost some of their enery on stage since Nick Oliveri left,and does anyone know who the their new keyboard player is? Interpol,Biffy Clyro and bloc Party were the highlights of the day for me!!

Was it Natasha Shneider? She is married to Alain Johnannes and I know they are in cahoots with QOTSA at the mo. They have a band called Eleven and are really good. Plus they played with Chris Cornell on Euphoria Morning.

I wasnt at oxegen so I didnt see what the keyboard player looked like ;)

I was going to see the Queens on Thursday night but it was cancelled, not that I would have went following the sad events of the day in question

Can anyone tell me what Audioslave's setlist was?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

lemme see.

The bravery - 8
    Bloc Party - 6
    Kasabian - 8
    Prodigy - 7
    kaiser chiefs - 9
    Foo Fighters - 8 (Dave Grohl was sh!t funny)
    The Streets - 4
    Doves - 7
    The Killers - 7

that's all i can remember right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

Nea wrote:
    Was it Natasha Shneider? ........

Can anyone tell me what Audioslave's setlist was?

Yeah, I just googled a pic of her and it looks like she'd the one. Didn't see all of Audioslave but they played Spoonman which was cool. Chris said it'd been 10 years since he played it in Ireland, I remember it well!

Eagles of Death Metal were very good as well and that frontman was very funny. It seemed like he was dedicating every song to "The beautiful ladies here today". :D

Just looked out my window and I can see all the campers in traffic making the journey home. Safe trip guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

I am in incredible amounts of pain right now. CURSE YOU EVIL SUN. But i'll try run through my weekend and what i thought of the bands (I'll need this to help remember as the lack of sleep has made everything from friday afternoon a quick blur)

Saturday:
    The Marshal Stars: I've no idea why but I can't remember what this was like at all.. I think i recall vaguely enjoying this and my friends say they were good but it didn't stick with me or something.. possibly just wasn't in the mood yet.

Director: Excellent! They're the only new band i got around to seeing and i thought they were really really good. I liked their lyrics and style and will definitely go out of my way to buy their album. (also, the echo on the back wall of that tent seemed to work well for them... i'm sure it was bad for some other bands though)

The Kaiser Chiefs: Absolutely amazing methinks. I'd never heard of them in my life up to that weekend and i enjoyed it so much.. Also i was somewhat tipsy then and found them really fun to dance to. They put on a brilliant show and i'll definitely go see them again

Razorlight: I didn't really like these that much. Can't think of the specifics or exactly what i thought.. I vaguely recall that they picked up near the end though. *shrug*

Turn: I seem to have been the only person i know who hasn't seen these lots and it was a good experience.

Queens of the Stone age: I didn't really like this... It seemed like the kinda performance you might enjoy if you're a QOTSA fan and just wanna hear their music and it wasn't something you could just listen to and have fun at as a stand-alone experience..

The Frames: A bit rushed with not a lot of attention to the crowd. Glen put that down to a lack of time but i think dropping a song and chatting a bit might have made it a better experience. Their songs are good for a quick listen as always (and it amuses me that they got more cheering for covering snow patrol at the end of their set.)

Green Day: hmm... what can i say. I enjoyed this a lot. I wouldn't be a fan but they do put on a really good show. Apparently, however, it's the exact same show they put on here a few months ago (right down to the same kid picked out of the pit, I heard?) and this is highlighted greatly by his "i'm George Bush (crowd boos), I'm Tony Blair (uncertain cheering/booing from crowd).. umm... oblivious to world affairs a little? stupid politics retarded to suit your target audience. But all in all I really enjoyed this... and think that anyone who crowd surfs towards the front should be shot in the face and beaten with a crowbar. Hey assholes! I don't want your muddy boots in the back of my head!

aaaaaaaaannd finally! The Prodigy: Didn't catch all of this but it seemed okay. Danced about, heard some songs i've always loved. Didn't really catch their talking and tbh was just tired and wondering where half our group had ended up by then so missed the atmosphere i guess

I need a shower and aftersun... let me know if i'm boring the hell out of you all with my drawn out opinions so i know not to bother going through Sunday later =)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Also was lucky enough to stand 6 yards from Paul Smith and see Maximo Park do an intimate 2-song accoustic performance in the MTV bit in hospitality. Great weather made Sunday a classic.

Yeah, I heard that too. Was outside enjoying my €6 burger and a pint when they were announcing them coming on, but as I had/have no idea who Maximo Park are I didn't go in. Sounded quite good though. I have to say that was the most well-hidden VIP area I've ever seen, took bloody ages to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭My name is Mud

I heard that someone went mental in campsite A on Friday night and slashed his wrists and chest....

...€140 euro to be taken away in an ambulance on Friday...bargain ticket!

I had a great time though.

Highlights: Kasabian, Eagles of Death Metal, Death from Above 1979.
    Disappointing:
    The Killers (crap mix, teenyboppers everywhere -"oh i love this song, like you know?"),
    Rodrego and Gabriella (its two mexicans playing classical spanish guitar...its not new, its not original...stop going mad over it you idiots)

First time camping, probably wont do it again due to ****ty food, ****ty queues, ****ty smell from portoloos and ****ty smell just in general (i.e. sunday morning = smell), and because of idiots everywhere

Rodrego and Gabriella (its two mexicans playing classical spanish guitar...its not new, its not original...stop going mad over it you idiots)

I've been telling people this for ages, but would they listen? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Nidge

Queens of the Stone age: I didn't really like this... It seemed like the kinda performance you might enjoy if you're a QOTSA fan and just wanna hear their music and it wasn't something you could just listen to and have fun at as a stand-alone experience..

But what do you expect? They play music that's what they're at the festival to do, play their songs! Were people hoping for another session of "hey ho" from QOTSA as if we didn't get it enough from EVERY other band on the main stage. QOTSA songs kick ass and that's enough, admittedly it would have been nice to see Oliveri, however concerning Mark Lanegan he's not even the main singer in more than one song from the 2nd album, the only song he would have been singing, as far as i can remember, would be Song for the dead from that particular set, it would be ridiculous to drag him all over the world for that. As Homme says anyway they wanna keep refreshing the line up so it's never samey, if you don't like that you probably don't like Queens of the Stone Age.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

My highlights were No one knows by QOTSA, and Killing in the name of by Audioslave. What a moment. Everyone around me went mental! I didnt know they did Rage covers(Bulls on parade/sleep now in the fire medley)... Chris Cornell's acoustic Black hole Sun was amazing as well.

I enjoyed The La's, but then again I'm an old fart. The Audioslave 'Killing in the name of' was also a good accompaniment to a nice steak and a mohito in the Bacardi garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 r00sevelt

what a weekend..

highlights

the frames
    the futureheads
    the foos - those boys can play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭She-Ra

absolutely antastic wknd... highlights, Greenday (have seen them a few times.. they never disappoint) and finished of my wknd with Keane.. brilliant!

had to go back to the campsite (B5) and the 18 yr old Navan boys next door had just left after trying to set their (stolen) tent on fire.. Did anyone buy their 'packed lunches' we were supplying the lunches,,, was like watching only fools and horses.. brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

For what its worth here's my rundown of wot saturday was like from my point o' view...

Kaiser Chiefs: One of the bands I actually went to see, I seen ‘em on tv at live8 & Glastonbury knew what to expect & I wasn’t at all disappointed.!! wouldve been my band of the day were
    It not for snoop dogg.

Snoop Dogg; I’m a bit of a rap fan but didn’t think snoop could cut the mustard “live”
    Let alone at a festival like oxegen.Yet I was determined to see his set as I couldn’t see myself paying to see him play in his own right.How wrong was I ? snoop came on at them time when everyone appeared to be “nicely toasted”, Hip – Hop stylee audience participation malarkey was not as embarrassing as it usually is –& Snoop ,seemed to be enjoying it as much as the audience.

QOTSA: I’m not a big fan but thought they were okay – I heard what I liked & I liked what I heard , I was eating an overpriced falafel with too much chilli sauce at the time.

Stephen fretwell??: Stumbled into the green room tent when he was on, not my cup of tea really he’s got a great voice though & he could be huge!& I mean David Gray huge!

KT Tunstall: Not really familiar with her stuff apart from the 2 songs that are on the radio constantly, but I did specifically want to see her set. She’s a really confident singer & it comes across really well, great band too.
    I took some photos which were badly out of focus yet you’d still know it was her due to the fact that she’s got the most recognisable right arm in music.

Two lone swordsmen: Its getting hazy now but I was in the dance tent for about 20 minutes of 2ls & I thoroughly enjoyed it,drunkenly try to explain to girlfriend that good dance music is more punk than punk rock ??yeah I know ….

MYLO:I was really looking forward to this however bouncers were refusing entry because there were too many people in the tent?? wtf !! there was plenty of space from where I stood & the security goons certainly seem to be getting off on refusing people. Yeah I know safety is a big concern & some poor girl died at a smashing pumpkins gig back in 1996 but jesus lads, theres more danger at the front of the main stage & ive been at festivals where smaller tents were absolutely packed to the gills. And while we’re on the subject how safe is having a funfair where almost everyone getting on the rides is pished!! ”Fukk this” said 2 random blokes in front of us & walked off, “too right” said I & did likewise. Enjoyed what I could hear of Mylo while sitting outside eating noodles & tempura.saw some of kasabian shortly after thought it was “quite good”

The Go team:I must confess I’d never heard of ‘em & I was only there cos the gf wanted to see “the tears”.They took an awful long time to set up & I was enthralled by the first 4 songs.
    Lead singer looked like she’d just stepped out of 1992.I remember thinking “I like this band”
    Although my girlfriend assures me that I fell asleep standing up towards the end of their set.!!

The Tears:Girlfriend is a big suede fan, but didn’t think much of the Tears debut album. Live they weren’t bad but Bernard Butler comes across as a self absorbed twat. I know they must get goons shouting for suede songs at every gig & it must drive em mad.But theres no need to tell your audience “go Fukk yourself”.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

What a weekend!

Kaiser Chiefs, razorlight, the futureheads, the killers and interpol were all fighting for the best band in my book but then you had the Foo's who were brilliant, greenday, again amazing, Bloc Party, the bravery, Turn, Hal, so many I can't fit them all in.

Kaiser chiefs did blow me away though, on really early and still got the crowd going but if you were lucky enough to see the futureheads I think you'll agree they were arguably the best performance, they way they played the crowd was amazing.

Didn't get into see J. Brown unfortunatly and I missed Audioslave :( but in general the performaces were very good. I'm a little bit sun burned this morning though :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Flogging Molly were absolutely class. Don't like much of their studio stuff, but live it seems to work alot better. Queens were very disappointing. Greenday were class but the crowd was a bit off putting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

I had a great time there. I got there on Friday (weekend camping) at about 9pm... found my mates at sometime around 12am. I then setup tent and watched the rest of the second LOTR on the big screens. (we where just in front of the one in Campsite A. Just over from the toilets and urinals. Didn't mind the smell to much. Well I didn't get it all that often due to all the smoke ;)

I went to see the Saw Doctors first and was in the pit. (I never seen them before) and I only know a song or two of theirs. I really enjoyed them. I had great fun. I'm going to get a album or two of theirs now.

From there I went to see Flogging Molly. I'd never even heard of them till The Good Mr syxpak broth me over to the green room to see them. I had a great time there. Some fantastic music! really got the blood flowing.

I went to see Snoop dog.. but found him to be incredibly bad. So I went over to see Kerbdog. Who I found to be very good and quite enjoyable :)

Then it was QOTSA. I really like them. I found them to be great. Opening with Go with the flow. Then Ending with No one Knows. Which I found to be a great version of it. I hope it comes out on a live album! All around tops

seen one or two more bands. A bit of green day, and then I went to see prodigy. After 20min after they should have seen on stage I was way to tired (standing about for an hour in a croud of people does that to me) so I decided feck it and headed back to the campsite. Where I got out a foldable chair, Some cans and smoke and watched LOTR: Return of the king.
    Best ever! Everyone came back half way through it. It was class watching it in a campsite having everyone scream at the screen lol. Really enjoyed it.

Then on Sunday I was completely recked. The sun didn't help ether. So I hung around for a bit. Then went off to see boards.ie's very own Fitz play on the new band stage (Tony Fitzpatrick that is) A good gig my son ;) really enjoyed it. Shame about the sound on your mic for the first while though it seems a bit off... ah well still you got a good crowd in :)

Then I went back to the campsite and crashed out till Audio slave where on. Really enjoyed them. I was laying back just chilling and listing.

I then went home from being to recked to go see the foos (really wanted to see them) But I'd not have been able to walk the fecking miles to where my bike was parked or been able to find it in a crowd of people. Let alone drive it. So I just went home early :(

Ah well, next time I'll park closer lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

Greenday were amazing, the covers were a good laugh, and they played all their best songs. They seemed to have a good time on stage, and it came through the audience. My favourite performence of the weekend!

The Killers were savage aswel, i thought. I was to the left of the main stage (by the bar) and the sound was fine. They had the biggest crowd as far as i could see. They did genuinely seem happy to be on the big stage this year.

Kaiser chiefs! What a show! Only started listening to them last week, and wasn't really too in to their stuff, but they are fantastic live. Won't miss them playing here, they won quite a few fans with that performence i'd say!

Keane were great. Hadn't seen them before, only lightly listened to their album, but was very impressed by the live sound. He's a good singer, and the band are fairly tight.

Foo fighters put on a good show. "Best of You" and the song at the end (cant think of its name) stand out. Dave Grouhl thinks he's a commedian too, i think.

I enjoyed snoop too.

The only people who stood out as "holy ****, just shut up and get off stage" was The Streets. They were awful.

Had a great laugh camping!

Tickets on sale next friday! for Oxegen 2006

Advertisement