Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 in Croke Remarks - Was it worth it?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Good gig. I was in the cusack stand and the sound(with a few vocal drop outs) was spot on. Someone I know who had been at all 3 gigs said that the sound had improved by Monday. Good light show too, without overpowering the band. Only downer of the night was standing behind a chick who had mastered farting to an olympic level. Luckily she left half way through. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Was ok satisified. :)
    Thought yesterdays gig was excellent! Was in the middle of the pitch at the barrier just outside the pit. The sound, lights and vocals were spot on.

Elevation has to be my favourite of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭samo

Was in the Canal end Lower tier, had no problems with the sound and could hear everything bono said perfectly....only quibble would have been that most of the goings-on actually on the stage were fairly distant dots moving around so glued to TV screens for most of it....but still cant be fussy as delighted just to be there and with a ticket for somewhere within croker :)

As said Elevation was fantastic and Sunday bloody Sunday which didnt expect them to play at all.....great gig and the atmosphere even from the lones of the canal end was still spot on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

No ... they are loosing their touch
    I think at this stage it's safe to say that if you weren't in the upper tier you got good sound. It seems to be only the people towards the canal end, and IN the canal end upper tier that got the feedback/echo stuff going on.

Still a significant number of dissatisfied punters, mind...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 bob_z

What a gig. Was really glad they played Bad......it's one of my favourite songs.
    Once it got dark, the visuals were amazing....all in all a big thumbs up.

On a side note, a mate of mine was listening to the gig outside the stadium and she said that at around 9.45/10 o'clock, ticketmaster were selling tickets for €50 and that people were going crazy trying to buy them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

No ... they are loosing their touch
    The best part of the gig was the feeling of superiority I had over the losers with no tickets. It was like looking down at the peasants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭samo

bob_z wrote:
    On a side note, a mate of mine was listening to the gig outside the stadium and she said that at around 9.45/10 o'clock, ticketmaster were selling tickets for €50 and that people were going crazy trying to buy them.

I wonder if thats why at around 10.00 the 2 patches of emptiness that were in the Hogan/Cusack stands towards the canal end suddenly filled up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

If the girl who was in Hogan Stand, section 330, row CC, around seat 4-6
    and wearing a a pale blue top and jeans, is reading this, you are beautiful and the best thing about the concert.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,619 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Why the **** didn't they sell them earlier and where did the tickets suddenly come from? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

I got free tickets to the concert and free passes into the Pre-bash in Barcode. Sweet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

oh my god it was amazing. i was really really impressed. so happy i was there.

my favourite songs from last night;
    with or without you
    bad
    love and peace or else
    elevation

• Registered Users Posts: 10,619 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Heard the touts were GETTING 600 EURO a ticket last night
    from somebody who was there trying to get a ticket! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

i was offered €500 yesterday afternoon just before I set out to go into Croker. No chance I was going to sell them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭pinkyirl

canal end upper tier was absolutely fine last night.
    i was freaked yesterday after reading all the bad reports of sound on here - but they must have sorted it out, cos i had no complaints whatsoever - could here every word that was said or spoken

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Fools. Money. Soon. Parted.

I was in the Canal End, Lower Tier yesterday (right at the back) and the sounds seemed fine to me. Great gig and a good atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I was lucky enough to see both Friday and Monday’s concerts, from different perspectives. Friday I was stewarding in Roinn 326, which is just over the tunnel in the corner of the lower Hogan and Canal stands, and I can see why some people would be a bit miffed regarding the sound. Musically is was fine, vocals etc sounded good IMO, but Bono’s between set speel was difficult to make out. I saw both support bands on Friday, and I have to say I though The Radiators were f**king terrible. I don’t know if it was they’re sound, or if they’re just crap, but they weren’t at the races as far as I was concerned. I’m not a fan so it’s just my humble opinion. On the contrary, I thought Snow Patrol were very good. Their sound was pretty loud, could possibly have been a little more ‘refined’ (hard to describe what I mean!), but they put on a good show. As far as I can remember U2 kicked off at 8.50pm, and went through to 11.07pm (correct me if I’m wrong). Here’s the set list from Friday:

Vertigo
    I Will Follow
    Electric Co.
    Elevation
    New Year's Day
    Beautiful Day
    Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
    Wild Horses
    City of Blinding Lights
    Miracle Drug
    Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
    Love and Peace
    Sunday Bloody Sunday
    Bullet The Blue Sky
    Running To Stand Still
    Pride In The Name of Love
    Where The Streets Have No Name
    One

Zoo Station
    The Fly
    With or Without You

All Because of You
    Yahweh
    Vertigo

Last night I had tickets for the pitch standing. Was walking up to Croker through Summerhill at 2pm when my brother phoned to ask me had I taken two of the tickets to work that morning! I hadn’t, and it turned out they were sitting in my place on top of the bloddy CD rack! Cue jumping into a taxi, heading across town to Dublin 12 and back to Croker, (1 hour in a cab, €25 well spent!) and arrived about 10 minutes before they opened the gates. Straight into the pit and enjoyed the sun for a few hours. Was stading directly in from of the ego ramp on stage right, (house left). Saw The Bravery and Ash, both of who I thought were very good. Didn’t realise The Bravery were Yanks. I presumed U2 were going to kick off again around 8.45/8.50, but then at 9pm the roadie came out on stage with a wireless mic, and told the crowd that due to delays in some people arriving, the start would be delayed shortly. At this point the place was wedged, and we couldn’t figure out how anyone else could be let in. It then looked like that the band were the ones arriving late, they seemed to walk up from Jones Road between the end of thr Hogan Stand and Hill 16, and straight onto stage. That was around 9.07pm. The place went mental. Outstanding concert, and the best set list IMO. I thought it was excellent the way the intensity of the songs and atmosphere grew as the night went on. Coming towards the end, it was manic. Two encores, which I wasn’t expecting the second one as “the end” was displayed on the screen, but once the house lights didn’t go up you knew something was on the cards. Thought the ending was the best, where they all left one by one and left Larry onstage himself to take the final bow. It is his band after all!! What a weekend. Outstanding!! Wrapped up about 11.45pm. Set list from Monday night was:

Vertigo
    All Because of You
    Gloria
    Elevation
    An Cat Dubh / Into the Heart
    Beautiful Day
    Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
    Original of the Species
    Bad
    City of Blinding Lights
    Miracle Drug
    Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
    Love and Peace
    Sunday Bloody Sunday
    Bullet The Blue Sky
    Running To Stand Still
    Pride In The Name of Love
    Where The Streets Have No Name
    One

Zoo Station
    The Fly
    With or Without You
    Vertigo

Yahweh
    '40'

Here’s a few pics from where we were as well.

PS – Does anyone know what the entrance track was for the three gigs??

A few more pics...

Last five...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭moshpit77

Somebody said it was 'Wake Up' by Arcade Fire

Is this it?... listen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭SteM

moshpit77 wrote:
    Somebody said it was 'Wake Up' by Arcade Fire

Is this it?... listen

Yes, the entrance music was Wake Up by Arcade Fire. I've not listened to the link but am listening to their album on my mp3 player at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭Jenna

Incredible! I was up the very front of the pit and I thought it was spectacular. Fair play to all the orgainisers, great show. :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jackal

Went on friday. Im not a huge U2 fan, but the missus is. Was also at slane. Gotta say, I fell victim to the sound problems in the canal end. It ruined the concert, especially snow patrol. Bloody waste of money, and everyone I know who was also in canal end said the same. Visually it was cool though.

Wont be going to another u2 gig. Alot of money to be dissapointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Sauron

was in the canal end coporate level.. Amazing, really enjoyed it. the atmosphere was amazing.. you could barely hear Bono over the crowd singing some songs... very cool visuals.. and when Bono came out and siad they could play for another 30 minutes I was so happy.. only tiny problem being that the stage was a bit far away but still good..

Highlights for me were

Where the Streets have no name,
    With or Without you
    Elevation
    Sunday Bloody Sunday..

Great gig.. amazing live band..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Does anyone know what the entrance track was for the three gigs??

The build up track is called "wake up" by arcade fire.

edit,sorry didnt see above reply.

Does anyone know if there are bootlegs of any of the Croker concerts floating around? I know Rhythm Records on the quays in Dublin carry some of the previous tours on CD. Anyone hear if there are any decent recordings of the Vertigo gigs out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

Yeah i got the Saturday one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭moshpit77

They are availbale on torrent sites so give it a couple of weeks and ebay should have them, and of course rythm records

Advertisement