Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 in Croke Remarks - Was it worth it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

I heard that the place was nowhere near full, I was talking to a secuirty guard who was working and he said there was alot less than 70,000 people in attendance, where the hell were those other 10,000+ people?

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

I WANT MY MONEY BACK!!! :mad:
    I heard that the place was nowhere near full, I was talking to a secuirty guard who was working and he said there was alot less than 70,000 people in attendance, where the hell were those other 10,000+ people?

Yeh, the pitch was only about 2/3 or 3/4 full and there was 2 massive empty patches in the lower hogan and lower cusack.

Nice to see the touts might have been left with tickets and lost money, but its terrible that deserving people didnt get to go.

I could understand 1,000-2,000 tickets being unused because of touts, but over 10,000? thats a bit wierd, don't you think?

What happens when a customer buys online and reserves 6 tickets and then there credit card doesnt go through? and the tickets are then officially sold out? A mate of mine didnt think of the online booking fee, and tried to buy 6 tickets and it got confirmed, then about 3 days later he got an email saying that CC was declined? what happened to those 6 confirmed tickets?

s.

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Was ok satisified. :)
    I could understand 1,000-2,000 tickets being unused because of touts, but over 10,000? thats a bit wierd, don't you think?

What happens when a customer buys online and reserves 6 tickets and then there credit card doesnt go through? and the tickets are then officially sold out? A mate of mine didnt think of the online booking fee, and tried to buy 6 tickets and it got confirmed, then about 3 days later he got an email saying that CC was declined? what happened to those 6 confirmed tickets?

s.

Credit card cancellations and non allocated tickets were put back on Ticketmonster last Friday through Monday .

Yes the sound eas dodgy , but was in Brussels as well and also in Manchester . Dont know what is going on with it , Vocals are too low and Bass way too high .

However what a stageshow , What an event , But I would have expected Bonzer to interact with the homecrowd a bit more and also to have changed the setlist a bit more , but the jailbreak inclusion was welcomed .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭spanner_head

Going tonight.....I cannot wait.

I've seating ticket for the cusack stand. Just wondering what are the chances of me bailing down to standing? Is the security that good?

spanner_head

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Going tonight.....I cannot wait.

I've seating ticket for the cusack stand. Just wondering what are the chances of me bailing down to standing? Is the security that good?

spanner_head
    Leave it till later on and the S/G's should be OK !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

we got asked by security if we wanted to change for standing tickets inside just as we were about to sit down but I didn't want to swap

WizZard wrote:
    I think that's me (well, a bit of the back of my head) in one of your pics sharkman! ;)

Which one ???

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

amazing gig... I managed to get into the second pit area (around the runway).
    I was only feet away from Bono, The Edge and Adam as they walked around... I'll post up picture proof later!
    My ears are still ringing from the sound (honestly!! hope they aint damaged!).
    The time just flew by.
    the visuals were amazing. It really was a great U2 show.

They played til around 11:10. going over the 11pm curfew... and Bono apologies to the neighbours!
    Acousitic version of Yahwey was brilliant.. then the closing of Vertigo (again) was stunning. Everyone jumping and singing (attempting to!).
    Brilliant brilliant brilliant!!!!
    Hope you enjoy tonight / Monday as much as I did.
    (This gig kicked Slane into the water in my opinion)

By the way, the beer is Budweiser / Guinness - and you cant bring onto the pitch area. You gotta drink up before you go in.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Dopey

Had to write up a post after the VERY dissapointing show last night. The sound was absolutely terrible in the upper cusack stand.

It sounded like the next door neighbours were having a party and we were listening to the music over the wall. Bono sounded like he was singing from down a well.

I would gladly thorw him down a well after the performance last night.

Will not go to the same lengths to buy a ticket again.

What the hell happened with the sound? This is not acceptable. I feel cheated.

U2 have fallen from grace imho.

Unhappy and very dopey.

• Advertisement

Dustaz wrote:
    Yeh, the pitch was only about 2/3 or 3/4 full and there was 2 massive empty patches in the lower hogan and lower cusack.

Nice to see the touts might have been left with tickets and lost money, but its terrible that deserving people didnt get to go.

I'd guess they can't "pack" the pitch stadium for crowd control reasons.
    It's the same in many large outdoor "sold out" gigs I've been at.

In relation to the two large patches in either corner - this was due to the fact that the two HUGE lighting rigs on the pitch area were blocking these seats line of sight view to the stage. If you're going tonight or Saturday, you'll see what I mean.
    I presume the organisers decided not to make these seats available due to this fact. They'd be pretty crappy seats if you couldnt see the stage ;)
    The seats behind the sound box may also have been empty for this reason.

Having a glance around the stadium (apart from the above), it looked full to me.

Dopey wrote:
    Had to write up a post after the VERY dissapointing show last night. The sound was absolutely terrible in the upper cusack stand.

It sounded like the next door neighbours were having a party and we were listening to the music over the wall. Bono sounded like he was singing from down a well.

I would gladly thorw him down a well after the performance last night.

Will not go to the same lengths to buy a ticket again.

What the hell happened with the sound? This is not acceptable. I feel cheated.

U2 have fallen from grace imho.

Unhappy and very dopey.

Sorry to hear that.
    I was pitch standing and thought the sound was excellent.
    Maybe Bonos vocal could have been a tiny bit stronger/louder.
    Seems a good few people with "near enclosed" stand seating are annoyed at the sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I'd imagine bono wasn't interacting with the crowd because he was in bits with a hangover - did you see him in the tabloids yesterday? He was locko in town with all his mates from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

No ... they are loosing their touch
    My ears are still buzzing from it - was in the 2nd pit about 5 metres from the walkway on the right hand side, very close to the speakers! The gig was excellent, my first U2 gig, but a brilliant one - was in a completly different league to all other concerts I've been at. Thought he should have ended it on "with or without you" though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭TheGreatOne

I'll try and post some of my pic later on, hope they came up well in the bad lighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,162 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Was anyone in the Upper Tier of the Canal End? What was the sound like?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

i cant wait til monday-dont know if i should look at the setlist though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

sharkman wrote:
    Which one ???
    First pic. In front of the guy with the baseball cap. But on second glance it seems to be too far back for where I was - right on the barrier between pit & rest of pitch. Although I definitely remember those guys with the meteor raincovers. They were beside me at one stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,567 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Disappointed to hear about the poor sound but this is a constantly recurring theme on this tour.
    There have been complaints at every show they played in Europe.
    I heard them in Manchester and the sound was atrocious.
    I was on the pitch about 50 yds from the stage.
    The sound was muffled ,too much bass and no clarity.
    I heard the Twickenham show on the radio and it sounded perfect but this was due to soundmixing.
    As someone with a Masters in Sound Engineering I think U2 need to fix this matter urgently as its not acceptable.
    I'm going Monday but I doubt the sound will be fixed.

whiskeyman wrote:
    I'd guess they can't "pack" the pitch stadium for crowd control reasons.
    It's the same in many large outdoor "sold out" gigs I've been at.

In relation to the two large patches in either corner - this was due to the fact that the two HUGE lighting rigs on the pitch area were blocking these seats line of sight view to the stage. If you're going tonight or Saturday, you'll see what I mean.
    I presume the organisers decided not to make these seats available due to this fact. They'd be pretty crappy seats if you couldnt see the stage ;)
    The seats behind the sound box may also have been empty for this reason.

Having a glance around the stadium (apart from the above), it looked full to me.

Im sure they would never fill a pitch for safety reasons, but It was a security guy I was talking to and they have to do a count for reports etc, and the total was less than 70,000, I think it was about 67,000 in total..... thats alot of missing people?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Not being a U2 fan I am easy to disappoint. And disappoint me they did.

They struck me as a band going through the motions.
    Bono summed it up nicely. " It's thanks to you guys we're not broke".
    I didn't think they connected with the crowd at all. Just churned out song after song as if they were in rehearsal.

I also thought that Bono needed to separate politics from music. Some of it was Ok but there was a lot of self-indulgent meandering.

I was also very disappointed with the first encore, no idea what most of the songs they played were and found the subliminal word association on screen very disturbing.
    And to cap it all they had the arrogance to replay the first song at the end. A pity for a band with such an impressive back catalogue.

On the positive side the stage and light show was impressive but I won't be wasting money on their gigs ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,567 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

70,000, I think it was about 67,000 in total..... thats alot of missing people?
    No missing people I'd say.
    The figures of 80,000 were just PR bull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Acerferrari3200

People try and get rid of your upper level tickets as the sound is dire ,,,,,!

IF you cant ,,,,move around the level to closer to the stage for better quality. ( We move from the upper canal 713 to Hogan upper after two songs ,,,,if I had stayed it would hae ruined the night ) Croker is a fantastic sports arena but not ...for Music ,,,) They need more delay speakers at the back ,,,two at the goal end of the canal is not enough. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

im in hogan lower.was anyone else sitting there?if so,how was the sound?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

Sorry to hear you had bad sound experiences sitting. I had the same experience towards the back at Slane (was at both though so didn't care).

HOWEVER, standing in the pit was immense. No really! My left ear is still ringing. Wonderful set, view, space, sound. What can I say!

Thanks for the few photos. Didn't bring my camera, eejit that I am. I'd love some more photos if you got 'em. All I've found so far are http://www.u2-vertigo-tour.com/tourpictures/.

I guess I won't be taking up the offer for a sitting seat on Monday so. I would be tempted to go if I could be guaranteed bad or maybe BB King turning up. :D

Did I mention they rocked?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

is_that_so wrote:
    I was also very disappointed with the first encore, no idea what most of the songs they played were and found the subliminal word association on screen very disturbing.

heh, the encore was what saved the gig for me. Seeing Zoo Station and the Fly again in something approaching their former glory was the highlight. You should get the ZooTV dvd if you really want to see some disturbing word associations:)
    And to cap it all they had the arrogance to replay the first song at the end. A pity for a band with such an impressive back catalogue.
    Yeh, that really annoyed me too. Pure cabaret.

WRT the people in the enclosure enjoying it, My favorite gig of all time was ZooTV and i was in the enclosure for that, go figure:)

Oh I'll happily admit there were some disappointments, but most of them are minor. Pity it was so bright so the light show was a little less impressive. Pity they left the house lights on for the phone-lights thingy. Pity they didn't play some of their best live stuff or my personal favourites. Pity we had to hear vertigo twice... I was with some people who didn't know the full catalogue of stuff they played, whether it be the new album or some of the Achtung Baby stuff...meh - their fault for not preparing for the gig! :p

But overall I thoroughly enjoyed it and I'm sitting here listening to some of their old stuff I havn't bothered to play in ages...you can practically feel the Edge playing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

I'm going on Mon so have a few questions:

Were secutity o.k. about bringing in cameras as it says on the ticketmaster e-mail I got cameras were a no-no.

Have seats in lower Hogan stand just left of the stage and a bit up towards the half way line. Any idea regarding sound there.

Was there beer on sale and how much did it cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Evil Sausage

Did anyone read the Irish Times today? They were talking to a tout last night at the show and he was saying how many people were coming down to the show to sell off their tickets. And I quote:

"we're having to pay out €250 for a pair" said one tout on Monuntjoy Square "its the papers who talk up the prices. They start saying the tickets will go for €1,000, then people think they have gold dust and they come down gere and cant get rid of them, I'm not making any money here" he said, unrolling about 15 €50 notes from his pocket "I had to bring this down here to buy the tickets, and I'll maybe bring home about four more of these notes"

Youre breaking my focking heart here. Fcuking scumbag, I REALLY hope they all took a huge loss last night and may it continue!

• Advertisement

I'm going on Mon so have a few questions:

Were secutity o.k. about bringing in cameras as it says on the ticketmaster e-mail I got cameras were a no-no.
    Grand, even one of the head security guys told us (the early queue) that we could just hide any 'professional photography equipment'. The Garda infront of me took a few photos too :D
    Was there beer on sale and how much did it cost?
    5er IIRC. T-shirts are 25 and pretty nice if I do say so myself. Sandwiches available aswell as the usual sh!t in a tray.

Advertisement