Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 in Croke Remarks - Was it worth it?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭hawkmoon269

I WANT MY MONEY BACK!!! :mad:
    Dopey wrote:
    Had to write up a post after the VERY dissapointing show last night. The sound was absolutely terrible in the upper cusack stand.

It sounded like the next door neighbours were having a party and we were listening to the music over the wall. Bono sounded like he was singing from down a well.

I would gladly thorw him down a well after the performance last night.

Will not go to the same lengths to buy a ticket again.

What the hell happened with the sound? This is not acceptable. I feel cheated.

U2 have fallen from grace imho.

Unhappy and very dopey.

Aparr from the bit about throwing Bono down a well I agree with your comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Was ok satisified. :)
    A few of my pics.

Agree, sound wasnt too good but I dont care too much. If I dont hear Bonos rant im not too bothered. Ive seen them a few times and it wasnt the greatest but it was miles better than Slane.

Loved the way they remembered the Zoo days. I just wish the pr!ck next to me wasnt singing excruciatingly loud over every word.

I was in the middle stand miles away, sound wasnt too great but some of it gave me goosebumps so im happy enough.

anyway a couple of superzoomed pics from the restricted viewing area.

mini-DSC_0307.jpg

mini-DSC_0202.jpg

mini-DSC_0151.jpg

mini-DSC_0315.jpg

mini-DSC_0299.jpg

mini-DSC_0220.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Gavin1

We had a Canal End Lower Tier ticket and were really disappointed. Sound was terrible and the pitch was half empty in front of us. With the big gap between us and the pitch crowd directly in front of us, we felt like we were watching people at a concert instead of participating. A lot of people tried to gain entry to the pitch from where we were when they realised what a bad position we were in but were refused entry. It really took away from the atmosphere being so far back and segregated.

Would think again before attending a concert at Croke Park unless we were sure of a good seat or pitch entry. We bought our tickets from the U2 Web site and had to pay $40 to register in advance. We are true U2 fans but feel cheated. Very disappointed. Felt like we were at a sound check not a concert. Hopefully they will have sorted things out by tonight and Monday so that the fans won't be as disappointed as we were. Couldn't hear a word that Bono was saying but otherwise the performance (but not the sound) was great. Major problem was the venue. Saw them in 1997 at Lansdowne and they were great. Last night didn't compare. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭samo

Ah no.....I have Canal end lower tier tickets for Monday and am not very optimistic about the experience now afetr reading this :(

Will be interested to hear how tonight compares although at this rate my babysitter is looking decidedly dodgy for Monday night so going pearshaped in many different directions!!

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Gavin1

Don't want to put you off going, I'd just advise you to try to get on the pitch as soon as you get there if at all possible. We saw a few people get in from the canal end but by the time we decided to make our move they were being a lot stricter. Hopefully they will have sorted the sound out by now. If not, it's still a good show...just had a better experience at Lansdowne because we were nearer the stage. Obviously the canal end is as far away as you can get but thought they might allow more people on the pitch since it was half empty. I guess it was a safety/crowd control issue although the crowd seemed very well behaved :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,571 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Major problem was the venue
    No .
    The major problem is that the sound system employed for this tour is utter ****e and has been a disaster in every stadia they have played this tour.
    There have been drastic complaints from every venue.
    Its a ****ing disgrace .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

highly uncharacteristic of u2 to have a below par sound system to be honest. usually their sound is impeccable

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

Its one thing to have a bad sound system at one gig but if this is the same system getting the same bad reports from previous gigs that's utter crap. Hope they get their act together for Mon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

How anyone expects to have a good view and sound quality from the Canal End is beyond me. The stage is about 120 meters from there. I was in the pit and the sound was top class, was also in the pit at Slane and Popmart and as far as sound quality goes it was equal to them both. My point is if you buy crap tickets, I wouldn't expect alot.

The people who queue over night to get their standing tickets and queue over night again to get into the pit are rewarded. Why would anyone buy a seating ticket? The only reason I can of is if you are injured in some way. I'd rather not go at all then pay money for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

I prefer to sit down, that way I can enjoy my Beer and get pissed in comfort :)

BTW great pics acquiescefc.

• Advertisement

I'd rather not go at all then pay money for one.
    Exactly
    A Canal End Ticket is a waste of time.
    You are 150 yards from the stage.
    People were blinded and deafened by the insane hype the pathetic media in this country peddled them.
    The way they were hyping these 3 concerts up you'd think Bono was going to turn water into wine.
    People lost their grip on reality.
    U2 are playing 32 concerts in Europe this summer,3 of which are in Dublin.
    To think the Dublin concerts would be x times better than the other shows is tantamount to madness.
    Its a show,a business ,a circus.
    Same show ,different city.
    People spending thousands to see U2 in their 'home town'.
    Its all bull****,hype,a conspiracy by the media to fill newspaper pages.
    Its a good show,no more ,no less.
    Its not 'A life changing experience' . :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭maddog

I was at tonights gig seated in the hogan stand - upper tier, sound really sucked at times we could not hear what was been said by any of tonights acts. Apart from that the set list was cool (3 assholes singing every word right beside us :( ) can't wait for Mondays gig as I'm on the pitch, by the way did anyone notice the crowds outside the entrance to the hogan stand upper.... they could see the video screen (directed at the hogan stand) and catch the whole gig for free with more than likely better sound... :rolleyes: .

Regards,
    Maddog

P.S. What's the deal with getting into the pit?? What time should we go to the gates to get a good spot?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

gig was ok. we had tickets for the canal end upper tier but luckily managed to get into standing by doing some cunning ticket swapage. by the complaints about the sound quality too it seems like we were lucky yo get out of there too.

they didn't seem to be strict checking either. we got some beer in and i was happily able to drink away as bono gave his lectures.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭6ix

Enjoyed gig. Entered pitch at roughly 5.45pm and walked STRAIGHT into pit. Mayb I just got lucky, but anyone near the pit entrance was just walking in. Was surprised given the number of people who queued just to get into the pit.

Ended up right beside the left walkway, so saw plenty of action Was also near the Canadian dude who was pulled up on stage to play guitar.Have to say, he was cool, took it all in his stride, and seemed quite comfortable playing in front of a stadium crowd.

Sound was good here, no complaints, but you're so close to the speaker racks that you're bombarded anyway. I know people further back on pitch who were getting a lot of reverb etc.

Overall, really enjoyed the gig, but near the front of the pitch was probably the best place to be. Would've liked 'Bad','Until the End of the World' and possibly 'With or Without You'.. but really enjoyed Out of Control.

Enjoy if you're going on Monday.

moan moan moan... etc
    Lads I was in the canal end lower tier on friday night and saw no problems with the sound.
    I could hear Bono and the music perfectly.
    There were hundreds if not thousands behind and around me doing the same thing, enjoying the concert, dancing,waving arms and singing the songs.

As regards not being able to see Bono and the lads in the flesh from back there, well I doubt if all you could see half way up the pitch either was a dot TBFH and I doubt most of the people at Slane could see anything other than a dot either unless they were looking at the screen or near the front.

By the way I've been at most U2 concerts in Ireland since they started including the last one in Croke park 20 years ago and this one was as enjoyable as any of them despite what some perfectionist moaners on here are making out.
    samo wrote:
    Ah no.....I have Canal end lower tier tickets for Monday and am not very optimistic about the experience now afetr reading this :(
    Take a tip from me ,get sloshed and enjoy the concert :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭spanner_head

6ix wrote:
    Was also near the Canadian dude who was pulled up on stage to play guitar.Have to say, he was cool, took it all in his stride, and seemed quite comfortable playing in front of a stadium crowd.

What did the candians dude message say? That was amazing. He played really well too.

I was in the upper cusack to the side of the stage. Was excellent. Sound was great too. Great performance. City of blinding lights was a breathtaking performance. Was very happy with the gig last night. ;)

One tip for ye all - if your walking to croker from town keep your wallets etc safe. I saw an incident on the way up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

For the pit we were the last hundred or so in the gates by 1ish. I had friends there since 9 onwards. I'd advise you to have your self sorted by 12 and just be down there...it's pretty comfortable (no mud) and was good humoured for us on Friday.

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Earthman wrote:
    Lads I was in the canal end lower tier on friday night and saw no problems with the sound.
    There were hundreds if not thousands behind and around me doing the same thing, enjoying the concert, dancing,waving arms and singing the songs.

As regards not being able to see Bono and the lads in the flesh from back there, well I doubt if all you could see half way up the pitch either was a dot TBFH and I doubt most of the people at Slane could see anything other than a dot either unless they were looking at the screen or near the front.

By the way I've been at most U2 concerts in Ireland since they started including the last one in Croke park 20 years ago and this one was as enjoyable as any of them despite what some perfectionist moaners on here are making out.
    Ha, I'm another one whose going to be in the Canal End, Lower Tier (though very near the back!) on Monday. I only got my tickets last week when Ticketmaster released a few thousand. I am not a 'true blue' fan and so definitely wouldn't want to stand for a couple of hours (not after a day at work and before four more days of work!) or be deafened (hearing isn't perfect after standing too close to the stage when Radiohead played Galway a long long time ago it seems). That said, very worried about the sound quality comments here. The girl I'm taking seems well into U2 and I don't want her to be disappointed. For €85 quid a pop, you'd expect a decent night out...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

forgot about the Canadian guy. that was surreal. he looked like he was playing for 8 people not 80,000 he was so calm.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

What the fook are you guys on about?
    I was at lastnights show [saturday night] and the sound was amazing.
    My sister and bro in law were at Friday show and said the sound was perfect then too.
    We were both in Canal end lower.
    Everybody around us thought the sound was class[i made a point of asking as many as possible their thoughts]
    Amazing show,the sound was perfect could hear every word which surprised me after reading comments bout Friday show,then again it is boards were talking about,should be called moans.ie at times tbfh :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭moonboy

WizZard wrote:
    . The Radiators were bizarrely terrible...

huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

The Thrills an Paddy Casey were good.

All I want is you, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Out of control, Pride, The Fly, Where the streets have no name, City of Blinding lights, all great. I usually skip Vertigo on their CD, but it's brilliant in concert!

And One, where everyone had their phones out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I was working at both gigs and the sound was bad on friday but it was alot better on saturday night, just have to see how tomorrow night goes now.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

is_that_so wrote:
    Not being a U2 fan I am easy to disappoint. And disappoint me they did.

[angry fanboy rant]then why the hell did you go?
    people like you annoy me. you go to a gig that's almost impossible to get tickets for and you don't even like the band. what's that about?
    you're preventing fans of the group from going and then you have the nerve to bitch about the gig. cop the **** on. i would be willing to lay down money on the fact that you just went so that you could boast about being there.
    as for you people who went out and bought the 2 best of albums, stop buying tickets for a band that you only have a passing interest in and stopping real fans from getting tickets. i don't prevent any of you from going to see celine dion.[/angry fanboy rant]

anyway, last nights gig was ****ing amazing. i was in the lower cusack and couldn't really hear bono when he was talking, but i was there for the music and i could hear the music perfectly. i was absolutely blown away and the only thing that disappointed me was that nobody knew the words to party girl (or that's the way it seemed). anyone with a ticked (or anyone who has already been) should feel priveledged to be going to see the greatest band on the planet.

For the pit we were the last hundred or so in the gates by 1ish
    Thats strange.
    Other reports said only 2,000 people had entered the pit by 3pm on Friday.
    So the pit was full by 1pm ?
    Did you get a wristband ?

some of my friends got into the pit at about 4.30. i was still in the pub in Leixlip at that time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

julep wrote:
    [angry fanboy rant]then why the hell did you go?
    people like you annoy me. you go to a gig that's almost impossible to get tickets for and you don't even like the band. what's that about?
    you're preventing fans of the group from going and then you have the nerve to bitch about the gig. cop the **** on. i would be willing to lay down money on the fact that you just went so that you could boast about being there.
    as for you people who went out and bought the 2 best of albums, stop buying tickets for a band that you only have a passing interest in and stopping real fans from getting tickets. i don't prevent any of you from going to see celine dion.[/angry fanboy rant]

anyway, last nights gig was ****ing amazing. i was in the lower cusack and couldn't really hear bono when he was talking, but i was there for the music and i could hear the music perfectly. i was absolutely blown away and the only thing that disappointed me was that nobody knew the words to party girl (or that's the way it seemed). anyone with a ticked (or anyone who has already been) should feel priveledged to be going to see the greatest band on the planet.

My comments are objective. I had expectations which were not realised. I was looking forward to a gig that ultimately disappointed me. Suprisingingly you can enjoy a gig without being a fan. Glad to hear to hear you enjoyed it. But rest assured TRUE fans are safe for the next one cos it's back to Celine for me :p

of course your expectations were not met. you don't like the band. it's not about a stage show, it's about the music. and if you don't like the music then you are not going to like the gig.
    again, why the **** bother going if you don't like them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

A great concert I must say. I was standing in the pitch (and GOD did my legs hurt) but it was a good show. I agree that the sound wasn't that great, It sounded as if the speakers were on maximum and as such the sounds sort of drowned each other out. But it could have also been my position towards the middle/back and the fact the the crowd were louder than the band!

But all in all it was great, Sunday Bloody Sunday was a great crowd pleaser, as was Where The Streets Have No Name, Elevation and of course Vertigo, which was played twice.

Well done U2, may you continue to have many more years of music ahead of you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭samo

Earthman wrote:

sorry for the slightly selective quoting but thanks for the report back....feel happier now to hear a good report from soneone for the canal end - lower tier. Am going with other half who has wanted to see U2 for years so would be gutted if it was crap like it was mentioned so far....definitley think the atmosphere will be improved by a few vodkas beforehand!!!

Advertisement