Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Asylum/Oldskool thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

one of tango & ratty's more recent offerings, on their steel fingers label.
    top tune, stayin true to the darkness ;):)

posted this in the dnb thread already, but its a killer tune!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 400 ✭✭bluemoon2010

tune here cant think of name taken from a mix i hear last nite on the radio will upload full mix later

http://www17.zippyshare.com/v/24939353/file.html

tune here cant think of name taken from a mix i hear last nite on the radio will upload full mix later

http://www17.zippyshare.com/v/24939353/file.html

skiddly wah off this ep http://www.discogs.com/Various-Tribal-Grooves-EP-Volume-1/release/92681

• Registered Users Posts: 32 slim

ok folks one more sleep to the gig of the year that is asylum reunion, getting u warmed up is yours truely from 9-12 tonite with a set of asylum bangers that will have ye raring to go for tomorrow nite.check it out on www.techradio.org from 9-12 tonite catch yiz then folks.....

• Advertisement

this tune from the LUNATEC LABEL 1996 not sure which one it is

http://www4.zippyshare.com/v/76695523/file.html

this tune from the LUNATEC LABEL 1996 not sure which one it is

http://www4.zippyshare.com/v/76695523/file.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Nice to see the rip off culture is still holding strong in the oldskool scene! Arrived down after work at 1.15 to try get the last 1.45 mins of the asylum gig to be asked for €35 good luck to them and their gigs tbh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭JCarey70

Load of bollix man. But I met es-cee (Sean) for the first time tonight. ****in sound man. Nice to meet you eventually. Check this track out:

****in tuuuuune!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

stephen_n wrote: »
    Nice to see the rip off culture is still holding strong in the oldskool scene! Arrived down after work at 1.15 to try get the last 1.45 mins of the asylum gig to be asked for €35 good luck to them and their gigs tbh!

That's a load of Balls ! send them a message on there FB page! They might sort something out for you tonight?

Any report on how last night went?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

JCarey70 wrote: »
    Load of bollix man. But I met es-cee (Sean) for the first time tonight. ****in sound man. Nice to meet you eventually. Check this track out:

****in tuuuuune!!!!

only after walkin in the door now, was pretty empty tbh, pablo even said to me that oliver lieb asked him were everyone was so that says it all i think. great meetin ya in there jay, caught a bit of your set and it was rockin man, top drawer! ended up goin back to ger's gaff afterward, great night of tunes and banter.

anyway, i'm just gonna curl up here i bed and try recuperate lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

That's a load of Balls ! send them a message on there FB page! They might sort something out for you tonight?

Any report on how last night went?

**** them was offered a guest list pass afterwards but won't be going to anymore of their nights. Stupid thing is I would have paid a score and said nothing as they sustain huge costs to put these nights on but the idea of being ripped off just grates with me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭JCarey70

es-cee wrote: »
    only after walkin in the door now, was pretty empty tbh, pablo even said to me that oliver lieb asked him were everyone was so that says it all i think. great meetin ya in there jay, caught a bit of your set and it was rockin man, top drawer! ended up goin back to ger's gaff afterward, great night of tunes and banter.

anyway, i'm just gonna curl up here i bed and try recuperate lol.

Enjoy your sleep :)

had a bit of a lie down, couldn't sleep lol. so went the offo and got myself 12 cans, hopefully they'll do the job. not actually feeling too bad now.

i really can't see oliver lieb playing here again, with what i saw last night. shades of rhythm got the crowd in, and bashed them with anthems as per usual, the same vault wasn't even half full when lieb got on, i think the majority of the peeps in there were just plastic oldskool fans, who wouldn't even know a good tune if it hit them in the face tbh. real shame when a true legend of the scene comes over to play to about 20 people in total. anyway, lets hope tonights gig is beter for all involved.

had a bit of a lie down, couldn't sleep lol. so went the offo and got myself 12 cans, hopefully they'll do the job. not actually feeling too bad now.

i really can't see oliver lieb playing here again, with what i saw last night. shades of rhythm got the crowd in, and bashed them with anthems as per usual, the same vault wasn't even half full when lieb got on, i think the majority of the peeps in there were just plastic oldskool fans, who wouldn't even know a good tune if it hit them in the face tbh. real shame when a true legend of the scene comes over to play to about 20 people in total. anyway, lets hope tonights gig is beter for all involved.

Welcome to the 'Brand Asylum' brigade!! ....

Was it really a bad turnout? or was it a case of peeps crammed into one or other of the vaults not knowing who was who? I'd have thought the majority (or majority of the minority going on what you say about 'the crowd - or lack thereof) would have been the target market 20 somethings who spend freely but who would'nt have ever been to the Asylum, probably still in (or just out of) nappies when the place closed and probably never heard of Lieb (or the others for that matter)

There's alot of younger peeps into the 'oldskool' sounds (partially due to the shyte thats about today) and good on em.
    There's the associated facebook fan :rolleyes: (nuff said there)
    Then there's the "I'm a mad raver me" heads who feel the need to be seen attending 'oldskool' gigs to prove their credentials.
    Then there's those of us who are strapped for the readies when these inflated prices gigs come around 2 months before xmas :( (who may well have been Asylum diehards but are now at an age where we'd love to have the experience again but before we can splash out we've to think of the mortgage,the bills,the kids,the shopping,xmas etc etc)

It'll be food for thought (or should be) for future ventures I should imagine.

Wonder how the 'irish stew' lunchtime session went down today? anyone attend?

They should pull in a crowd tonight, town will be heaving with peeps looking to party in their best fancy dress ..... I'd say thats another factor in the turnout last night - alot of peeps keeping themselves fresh for tonight with tomorrow been the BH.

In all fairness, the line ups for both nights looked the dogs liathriodi that shoulda pulled in massive crowds, I think peeps are just abit more prudent with their hard earned these days!

I look forward to a lesser hyped lowkey affair of just Asylum DJ's (a few if not all) if ever a night happens again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

thats bleedin criminal mate they can shove it up their arse as far as im concerned a total and utter rip off

EarlERizer wrote: »
    Welcome to the 'Brand Asylum' brigade!! ....

Was it really a bad turnout? or was it a case of peeps crammed into one or other of the vaults not knowing who was who? I'd have thought the majority (or majority of the minority going on what you say about 'the crowd - or lack thereof) would have been the target market 20 somethings who spend freely but who would'nt have ever been to the Asylum, probably still in (or just out of) nappies when the place closed and probably never heard of Lieb (or the others for that matter)

There's alot of younger peeps into the 'oldskool' sounds (partially due to the shyte thats about today) and good on em.
    There's the associated facebook fan :rolleyes: (nuff said there)
    Then there's the "I'm a mad raver me" heads who feel the need to be seen attending 'oldskool' gigs to prove their credentials.
    Then there's those of us who are strapped for the readies when these inflated prices gigs come around 2 months before xmas :( (who may well have been Asylum diehards but are now at an age where we'd love to have the experience again but before we can splash out we've to think of the mortgage,the bills,the kids,the shopping,xmas etc etc)

It'll be food for thought (or should be) for future ventures I should imagine.

Wonder how the 'irish stew' lunchtime session went down today? anyone attend?

They should pull in a crowd tonight, town will be heaving with peeps looking to party in their best fancy dress ..... I'd say thats another factor in the turnout last night - alot of peeps keeping themselves fresh for tonight with tomorrow been the BH.

In all fairness, the line ups for both nights looked the dogs liathriodi that shoulda pulled in massive crowds, I think peeps are just abit more prudent with their hard earned these days!

I look forward to a lesser hyped lowkey affair of just Asylum DJ's (a few if not all) if ever a night happens again.

think i'm pretty much done with oldskool in the dublin sense now tbh, apart from the gigs gettin stale, the tunes are as well, for me anyway. not into trance, techno or prog anymore for the most part, breakbeat or nowt as far as i'm concerned. anyway, like i said earlier, i really hope tonight is a better night for everyone involved.

Much as it pains me to say it but the old skool scene in Dublin has gone to the bleedin dogs rip off entrance fees,same old music,etc,etc im hearing the Genesis 88 Acid House Warehouse Rave in London on Friday gone was amazing gutted i didn't have the cash to attend, it was like £15 in and went onto 8am.

I'm really looking forward to Retro Trax Rave festival next May in England the line up is amazing and they keep adding top names on.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭turks

biggest waist of money iv ever spent,and the sound was still as bad as it always is in vaults,last oldkool event il ever go too.big let down:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

turks wrote: »
    biggest waist of money iv ever spent,and the sound was still as bad as it always is in vaults,last oldkool event il ever go too.big let down:mad:

Which night did you go? Been raging I haven't been around as would have loved to go to both Lieb and Hardfloor. Although based on the feedback here it's probably a good thing I wasn't around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

I would have loved to have gone to this as the Asylum and oldskool music had such an effect on me while in my late teens and early 20s. I know a certain "crowd" attended the Asylum back in the 90s but I rarely if ever saw any hassle anytime I went.

My problem is with the venue, I went to an oldskool gig there about two years ago and immediately noticed the coked up kids and wannabe gangsters in attendance. Somebody then decided for some reason that because I was on my own (I can't drag my mates to these events anymore!), I was an undercover Garda and I got a couple of scrotes following me around, threatening me.
    I was in the toilet at one stage and a bloke told me that they were waiting to ambush me outside. I had to get out the Fire Exit pretty sharpish.

I'll never set foot in that place again. Im not sure if it was a one-off that night but I wouldn't go back to it. I'd have loved to go to either of these gigs but I'd be a bit more relaxed around an older crowd.

Maybe I'm just getting too old! :o

Forget this "brand asylum" crap it's a money making effort as i suspected all along.

Very tempted by Raindance NYE just trying to get some other peeps to go, if you haven't been at a Raindance your seriously missing out :)

38054410150357752638752.jpg

so any1 any details on last nights proceedings?

turks wrote: »

the sound was absolutely atrocious for lieb too, way too much mid range, ears were ringing till yesterday mornin after it.

bohsboy wrote: »
    I would have loved to have gone to this as the Asylum and oldskool music had such an effect on me while in my late teens and early 20s. I know a certain "crowd" attended the Asylum back in the 90s but I rarely if ever saw any hassle anytime I went.

My problem is with the venue, I went to an oldskool gig there about two years ago and immediately noticed the coked up kids and wannabe gangsters in attendance. Somebody then decided for some reason that because I was on my own (I can't drag my mates to these events anymore!), I was an undercover Garda and I got a couple of scrotes following me around, threatening me.
    I was in the toilet at one stage and a bloke told me that they were waiting to ambush me outside. I had to get out the Fire Exit pretty sharpish.

I'll never set foot in that place again. Im not sure if it was a one-off that night but I wouldn't go back to it. I'd have loved to go to either of these gigs but I'd be a bit more relaxed around an older crowd.

Maybe I'm just getting too old! :o

Hey bohsboy, the legend lives :D .....thanks for your post waaaaay back in 2005....it spawned this monster!!! a few of us owe you a thanks for that!!

....and I suppose in one way you had a part to play in these 'Asylum' revival nights today, as the momentum of this thread over the years & others of it's ilk out there in cyberspace will have sparked the fire!

The oldskool salutes you! \:cool:/

nice bitta neurofunkage to scare the bejaysus outa ya's :D happy halloween.

http://soundcloud.com/sinuous/kano-sinuous-presents-blood-in

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

so any1 any details on last nights proceedings?

Have to say I'd a really good night in there last night. From what I've read previous I was a little wary of what the venue would be like but I thought it was grand, though given my mental state last night a shed in the country would've been grand:pac::pac:. Pat Hyland's set was top notch which included this gem

one of my favourite techno tunes and always guaranteed to rock a floor. Caught most of Oliver Bondzio's set which contained plenty of twisted acid. Hardfloor killed it as I expected they would. Been waiting years to see em and they didn't disappoint. I could listen to acid house and techno all night. Not sure why but they were told to finish at 2.45 instead of the listed 3am, right in the middle of Circus Bells I might add which I wasn't too happy about, hardly their fault though.
    The price tag on this gig still irks me though. Instead of giving a load of djs 1 hour slots why not give them 90 minutes or 2 hours each and have half the amount of djs playing? As I said previous, 10 euro in to Planetary Assault Systems next month really puts Asylum to shame.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

EarlERizer wrote: »
    Hey bohsboy, the legend lives :D .....thanks for your post waaaaay back in 2005....it spawned this monster!!! a few of us owe you a thanks for that!!

....and I suppose in one way you had a part to play in these 'Asylum' revival nights today, as the momentum of this thread over the years & others of it's ilk out there in cyberspace will have sparked the fire!

The oldskool salutes you! \:cool:/

Cheers mate, means a lot. The Asylum and everything oldskool made me who I am today. Great to see the flag flying high and I hope to meet you all...at another venue!! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement