Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

A great man who raised a lot of money for Listowel Hospice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiVBUT-oJe4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭boroman

I would like to concur the previous contribution with my own heartfelt condolences on Louis O Carrolls, sudden and very sad demise. He was at all times a real gentleman and a wonderful friend.
    Only one week ago he lend his vocal talents to our Writers Week fundraiser, during which, before he sang 'The Valley Of Knockanure', he recalled his late mothers memories of seeing the bodies of those murdered on that day, been brought through the streets of Listowel on the back of a military lorry. He also sang 'In The Footsteps of John B.' and he finished up with a song, for a long time synomymous with the O'Carroll family (this was the favourite song of his brother Philip, who in his day had a very beautiful boy soprano voice), I refer to 'My Silver Feale'
    Our thoughts today are with his wife, Judy and son James.
    May he rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Price of a Pint

boroman wrote: »
    I would like to concur the previous contribution with my own heartfelt condolences on Louis O Carrolls, sudden and very sad demise. He was at all times a real gentleman and a wonderful friend.
    Only one week ago he lend his vocal talents to our Writers Week fundraiser, during which, before he sang 'The Valley Of Knockanure', he recalled his late mothers memories of seeing the bodies of those murdered on that day, been brought through the streets of Listowel on the back of a military lorry. He also sang 'In The Footsteps of John B.' and he finished up with a song, for a long time synomymous with the O'Carroll family (this was the favourite song of his brother Philip, who in his day had a very beautiful boy soprano voice), I refer to 'My Silver Feale'
    Our thoughts today are with his wife, Judy and son James.
    May he rest in peace.

I am shocked and saddened to hear this news.
    It was only last week I met Louis at Jets
    My sincerest sympathies to his family and friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

The catholic search ?
    Search Newsletter

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

There is a doc on Joe Murphy been aired on Paddy's night on TG4

http://player.vimeo.com/video/37658263

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Lovely writer

kingdumb wrote: »
    The catholic search ?

the mistake that was pointed out by kingdumb must've been a Freudian slip. It says something about the present position of the church.

Church newsletter

Church Newsletter

Church Newsletter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Is there a toyshop in listowel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,977 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Is there a toyshop in listowel?

http://www.yelp.ie/map/mcgillicuddys-listowel

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭AnBealBocht

I am including here the text of my reprimand from the moderator of The Listowel Thread.
    03 10 2011
    “OK that's it, that is the last link to your blog Cherry Tree, its non profit so I have allowed the links to remain, but its still advertising, so please refrain from posting any more links to it.”

Again on the same day
    “Just to clarify, a number of different people reported the numerous blog links, as it is against boards rules that people should advertise, even their own blogs. I have allowed the links that are posted already to remain, as it is non-profit. I simply requested that no more links would be posted. Interested people can still access the blog via the links that are already posted.

I am not going to be specific about who reported what, there is nothing to say that they are even regular posters on this thread. Please don't blow this out of proportion! “

I, Cherry Tree, aka listowelconnection “the blogger” have no grudge against the moderator or anyone else on this forum. I have simply outgrown it. I posted photographs and local news here for years and I enjoyed the buzz I got from sharing news and happenings. I now do the same on a bigger scale in another place on the WWW.
    As Béal Bocht points out, on a blog I have my own space and I’m answerable to no one. I can write at length and include photos and links and I can advertise all I want.
    I miss the cut and thrust of the interaction with other Boards members. I do check in regularly and I wish everyone who posts on the thread and who reads it nothing but the best.

Cherry Tree,
    Since SandhillRoad's untimely death, you have been the main contributer to this Listowel Thread ( granted, with the able and frequent support of ' boroman', ' price of a pint '. 'John Granville ', etc.), so, I beg you not to leave the thread completely.
    Your comments, news and photos were a joy to read & view across the years.
    I wonder if another [ e.g. ' Lovely Writer '--of fame due to his posting of the weekly Church Newsletter ( could he be moved to post some of your more secular items? ) or, some other 5th. columnist ] could post some of your photos ( and news, etc.) from the ListowelConnection blog?. Yes, i know---evil, clandestine, covert---but in a good cause, and, as we all agree: ' The end justifies the means '---the end here being your continuing suberb contributions.
    I fervently hope that a ' means ' can be found to allow of your ongoing participation---albeit Mata Hari-style---here.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭AnBealBocht

May I join with boroman in extending my sincerest sympathy on the untimely death of my colleague, Dr. Louis, to his wife and family ( and an especial condolence to my primary-school and secondary-school class-mate, Father Joe O'Carroll).

Church Newsletter

Church Newsletter

Church Newsletter

Church Newsletter

Church Newsletter

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭mylittlepony

Smearleagh (sorry worng spelling) bridge on the left side towards listowel got damaged, chuck of the wall got smashed by car. Lucky car didnt fell into river :eek:
    Anyone know what happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭boroman

Did not hear that the bridge got damaged. Smearla would be the correct spelling. Once opon a time it was called Knights Bridge, on account of its location, bordering Ballinruddery, and the Knight of Kerry's land.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Anybody in the greenville area having any issues with their tapwater since they started working on the road? Ours is coming out of the tap white intermittently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Littlevick

Morning,

I'm hoping sombody can help, I'm looking for a music group that will do a session for us in the area in July.

It's the day after a wedding and we're looking for something traditional music style but with a male singer, a session type of group.. Obviously we're on a budget so a group of 2 or 3 is all we'd be looking for really..

Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Mark142857

Hi everyone.

Both my wife and myself are 50 next year, and we'd like to celebrate this by coming over to Listowel for a nice long three week holiday. We're thinking or renting a house in the town so that friends can also pop over and join us for a few days, so we'd need something with 3 or 4 bedrooms.

Does anyone know of any such place in town we could rent for a short while, or could tell us of any local agents that might be able to help us? We will be visiting next weekend so we can investigate then.

Thanks

Church Newsletter

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

Mark142857 wrote: »
    Hi everyone.

Both my wife and myself are 50 next year, and we'd like to celebrate this by coming over to Listowel for a nice long three week holiday. We're thinking or renting a house in the town so that friends can also pop over and join us for a few days, so we'd need something with 3 or 4 bedrooms.

Does anyone know of any such place in town we could rent for a short while, or could tell us of any local agents that might be able to help us? We will be visiting next weekend so we can investigate then.

Thanks

Delighted to hear it Mark. I have sent you a private message.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

From August 3 to 10 North Kerry Reaching Out is planning a Week of Welcomes for visitors to Listowel. All the details will be posted shortly on the NKRO website and Facebook pages. There will be bus tours to places of historical interest, a talk on heritage and genealogy from a UL lecturer in ancestry and a talk from the County Archivist, a taste of hurling and football, craft demonstrations and much more.
    If you are planning a trip to Listowel this summer, be sure to check out NKRO's website or Facebook page first.
    Any help you need with tracing your North Kerry ancestors will be given free of charge.

Remember that to a friend's house the road is never long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Guiney103

Looking for Info on Teddy Moloney who used to play with the Bunny Dalton Band. First time on here excuse me if I am in wrong part.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,977 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

There seems to be a bit of a do going on in the town on Sunday 6th May, as per a leaflet that I picked up somewhere.
    Vintage Car Parade & Vintage Rally in the town square from 1 p.m.

Agricultural Display — Old and New in from 1 p.m.

Military — WW II Model Exhibition in the Listowel Arms Hotel from 12 noon

WW II Re-enactments in the town during the day

Bouncing Castles, Farmer's Market & Pig on a Spit!

Irish Defence Forces Military Exhibition

PARKING RESTRICTIONS IN THE SQUARE SUNDAY MAY 6TH FROM 11.30 A.M.
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR COOPERATION

I hope the WW2 re-enactments don't include any atomic bombs, or we're screwed.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 hbs271

Hello everyone, I have a question I was wondering if you could answer. I will be living in Ireland for part of the summer as an exchange student. I will be staying with a host family in Gortnamich, Listowel, Co. Kerry. Where is Gortnamich and what does that exactly refer to? I'm curious if it is an area or street name or a different town all together? Can anyone help me out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 listowel8

Guiney103 wrote: »
    Looking for Info on Teddy Moloney who used to play with the Bunny Dalton Band. First time on here excuse me if I am in wrong part.

I am an ex classmate of teddy and the last address i had for him is 152 brompton rd.Garden city.Long Island.new york.11530.Hope this helps.

Advertisement