Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else think it was rubbish?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭gaizka71

whippet wrote:
    what other stations is it on apart from Net2?
    emule maybe....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Morgans wrote:
    i cant believe that this was compared to some poster earlier on as the first serious drama since the sopranos. Even after two episodes, the problem is the monster. If it were a 'serious' drama, there would have been no need for a polar bear, a monster, and a lot of the other nonsense. If they just had kept it realistic it had some promise, but not as serious drama. A serious drama worth its salt wouldnt have introduced the sexual tension between Kate and the doctor within the first five minutes. Probably not a bad program at its own level, maybe a step above Buffy and all the other fantasy nonsense, if given time.

Its impossible to tell how close the sopranos represents mafia bosses in the states, but they dont have polar bears and giant unseen monsters in vain efforts to keep the interest of the punters. Good television it aint.

I can remembe r a quote from some critic, that "beginning the story in the middle is the tool of the mediocre writer". There is nothing clever in not telling the whole story when you first introduce the character. Let me guess, we are going to have a twist in every episode...big bombshell for five seconds...who cares.

who ever said it was just a drama? that poster? maybe he thought it was just as good as the sopranos,but dont be mistaken,this is not just a drama. What the hell can you do on an island with just drama?? It would turn into a damn episode of Survivor! The element of Sci Fi is what makes it good.

Also
    dont think of it as Jurassic Park,the "monster" has not been shown yet,and we dont even know if thats what it actually is. it also doesnt play a huge part,its in the first few eps and the last few.

the 1-2-3-4-5 thing wasnt cheesy,what was wrong with it? it didnt even work,she was still crapping herself and was just trying to do anything to stop from having a heart attack! There was little if any bad writing,I can name a dozen shows off hand with terrible writing,this show does not have it!

Also,since you make assumptions based on the first ep,I have to mention spoilers.
    the sexual tension between Kate and Jack isnt clear cut,in fact she is leans mroe towards Sawyer later on in the show than she does Jack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

Giblet wrote:
    There might be another reason 1-2-3-4-5 worked...

Could've kicked myself when I saw this last night and went... "Hang on... the monster's not near her for a reason...! Gah!!!"

I don't think, like most do, that the "1-2-3-4-5!" thing was cheesy, by the way. Must be just me, but when I first saw the pilot, I thought that really added to the tension. However, I do agree that it is unlikely someone would remember in a crisis a bit of advice (about how to get over such situations) that they had only found out about a few hours earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭crang

Thought the first 2 episodes were absolutely brilliant from start to finish. Will definetly be stuck to this one. Now i am hooked on 24 and this.

(New member of the LOST fan club)

tvnutz wrote:
    What the hell can you do on an island with just drama?? It would turn into a damn episode of Survivor! The element of Sci Fi is what makes it good.
    [/spoiler]

I am actually a bit disapointed they have not showed a bit more of scifi, I am a bit tired of the stories of the past of all the characters..... getting sick of it, thank god we are on episode 24 and 25 tomorrow... it seams things are getting interesting again....

• Advertisement

Umm,maybe,but I like the character backstories as well...the finale looks to have some sci fi though :D

but seriously,at least it has that aspect,what would they do without it? it would be survivor,and thats just bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Not that impressed with it so far.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Morgans

If I knew there was a sci-fi element to it, then I wouldnt have watched it last monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,542 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

This post has been deleted.

Not much of an exaggeration! I recorded it on my HD for someone and in a fit of geekiness went and 'analysed' it. Over 24% of the broadcast was ads! At one point, there was EIGHT minutes of programme between two five minute breaks!!!!

Over 24% of the broadcast was ads! At one point, there was EIGHT minutes of programme between two five minute breaks!!!!

Another advantage of emule... no adds at all!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

Morgans wrote:
    If I knew there was a sci-fi element to it, then I wouldnt have watched it last monday.

"Everything that happens in the show can be explained in the real world," producer JJ Abrams has said.

Also: "..producers say there is a logical explanation for everything." (http://abcnews.go.com/2020/Entertainment/story?id=732221&page=1)

Though they do concede there is a "touch of sci-fi and a touch of horror."

Doesn't mean there isn't a rational explanation, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭The General

Im LOST

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭dawballz

basquille wrote:
    Promise me something.. promise you'll come back here this time 2 weeks (long-time 'Lost' fans will know what i mean) and tell me if you feel the same way!

If you do.. 'Lost' just isn't the show for you! As simple as that..!

PS - glad you enjoyed it, Solitaryman.

You can't call yourselves "long time lost fans", the show hasn't even gone through a full season.

The twists are very predictable, but since there is so many, you can't predict them all. The major twists are good alright.

It only starts getting good at about episode 5-6 on imo.
    I'm on episode 22 now and for the last few, there isn't much to keep my interest. I'm hoping it will change for the next few eps.

edit; oh yeah, the character flashbacks... some of them are very boring. Hurley's is good, cos he's funny.

I HATE KATE. She is a muppet. She should just get over Jack. I hope she dies in it.

John Locke is cool. And shannon is fiiiiiiine.

Shannon is a whining biatch! Kate is the fine one and she is actually cool!

And we are long term Lost fans compared to people who only started watching it! The show also just draws you in so much that you feel like you have been watching it for years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Ciaran500 wrote:
    You have said this in a few threads, but you didn't say why. So what didn't you like?
    I just didn't like it, I can't put my finger on it really as to what I didn't like - I just felt I didn't click with the show.

I found it boring and wasn't really keeping me interested / holding my attention.

I hope the next episode will be better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭dawballz

tinkerbell wrote:
    I just didn't like it, I can't put my finger on it really as to what I didn't like - I just felt I didn't click with the show.

I found it boring and wasn't really keeping me interested / holding my attention.

I hope the next episode will be better.

TB it does get better.. around episode 6 it was for me.
    I also thought it was crap.. even after the first 2 or 3 eps.. But it is worth watching/following.

There's nothin like Jack Bauer and some good old 24 to keep you interested all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Ah no, in fairness 24 is a big pile of steaming cack and has been since about episode 1.13 (doesn't stop me watching it every week). There's no real comparison.

Lost is 10 times better than 24. I like 24 because its fun,but come on...kidnapped Sec of Defense,shooting down Air Force One,stealing a nuke...all in 24 hours. ye sure! ;) and the show is not sci fi!

• Advertisement
Advertisement