Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else think it was rubbish?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Locke

I agree with Basquelle

You have to watch all the eppis to get a picture of whats going on.

I just knew this show wouldn't appeal to the Eastender and Coronation street/Fair City mob,people here want bad dramas set in dreary London squares or awful northern england towns with cobbled streets.

Lost is the best show on TV in such a long time, but saying that I knew people here wouldn't take to it and I reckon it wont be a hit kile it has been all over the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Well I liked it apart from them damn ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

ok... ive seen jurassic park... theres a big monster thing outside... he sticks his head out the window.... of course hes going the get eaten!!!
    This is the first thing I complained about to. The camera even centres on him putting transceiver on the seat before looking out. Thankfully they never make a mistake like that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

The amount of ads was stupid, and i'd consider not watching it on rte again, but yeah it was halfway between good and rubbish, the dialogue was retarded( fear - 1-2-3-4-5 dont let it in) wtf.

I'll give it another few eps though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

bazH wrote:
    The amount of ads was stupid, and i'd consider not watching it on rte again, but yeah it was halfway between good and rubbish, the dialogue was retarded( fear - 1-2-3-4-5 dont let it in) wtf.

I'll give it another few eps though.
    Yeah it was bad writing like this that put me off it to be honest. Poor Poor Poor... No amount of action can save a bad script IMO.

Perhaps Mr.Lucas is a writer for this as well???
    Locke wrote:
    I just knew this show wouldn't appeal to the Eastender and Coronation street/Fair City mob,people here want bad dramas set in dreary London squares or awful northern england towns with cobbled streets.
    Now i agree that all those soaps are worse....
    Locke wrote:
    Lost is the best show on TV in such a long time, but saying that I knew people here wouldn't take to it and I reckon it wont be a hit kile it has been all over the world.
    I think the british and irish crowds will be harder to win over. They usually are a bit more intelligent than our american cousins who probably think that Lost is 'up there with the Sapranos' :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

There might be another reason 1-2-3-4-5 worked...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

And of course there was the pigeon-holed american view of the world:

-> The hero doctor
    -> The crazy cowboy/redneck who thinks with his fists
    -> The intelligent arab/'terrorist'
    -> The hot chick sidekick who is really a serial killer
    -> The token fat guy
    -> The token black guy
    -> The hot blonde chick that can speak a bit of french
    Haha, my bf sent me a text during the show giving out about it with the stereotypes listed as well, hehe. I thought it was gonna be an excellent show!

I thought wrong - it was total crap tbh, I might watch the next episode in the hope that it will get better. The constant ads during the show were really annoying as well, RTE know how to spoil everything, that damn O2 sponsorship ad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭ruck-it

tinkerbell wrote:
    Haha, my bf sent me a text during the show giving out about it with the stereotypes listed as well, hehe. I thought it was gonna be an excellent show!
    They aren't stereotypes you just don't know enough about any of them yet. The thing I don't get is that people say they are stereotypes just because the guy is black or fat, which means it is they who are making them stereotypes by demeaning the actors/race as being only there to make up the numbers. It's pretty disgusting that people couldn't watch the show and see the black guy, the fat guy without thinking about race etc. Personally I just see those people and say 'hey here's a new character' but if you're all pathetic enough to go 'hey here's a black guy, he must be a useless character/colour so he's only here to be the token character'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Have to say I was sceptical but am totally hooked. And as someone who doesn't even watch tv (I only have RTE by choice, DVD's and consoles pour moi please) I'm kinda picky

I still have this ominous feeling that the "monsters" gonna turn out to be something crap and ruin the whole show for me, can't really see how it's gonna be anything other than something thats gonna make me blurt out "thats ridiculous, how on earth are we supposed to accept that!!"

But maybe it won't, and I really don't want to ruin it by reading a spoiler or going to a preview site!

tinkerbell wrote:
    I thought wrong - it was total crap tbh
    You have said this in a few threads, but you didn't say why. So what didn't you like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Just to note there are actually 3 black characters shown in the pilot. Exactly how many to you need for them not to be taken as token? And certainly none of them conform to any african american stereotypes I know of.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Lochaber

ruck-it wrote:
    The thing I don't get is that people say they are stereotypes just because the guy is black or fat, which means it is they who are making them stereotypes by demeaning the actors/race as being only there to make up the numbers. It's pretty disgusting that people couldn't watch the show and see the black guy, the fat guy without thinking about race etc. Personally I just see those people and say 'hey here's a new character' but if you're all pathetic enough to go 'hey here's a black guy, he must be a useless character/colour so he's only here to be the token character'

qft...

anyway as everyone has said really... we've only seen two episodes here, it's hardly fair to draw too many conclusions about characters yet...

ruck-it wrote:
    They aren't stereotypes you just don't know enough about any of them yet. The thing I don't get is that people say they are stereotypes just because the guy is black or fat, which means it is they who are making them stereotypes by demeaning the actors/race as being only there to make up the numbers.
    I blame the scriptwriters....
    ruck-it wrote:
    It's pretty disgusting that people couldn't watch the show and see the black guy, the fat guy without thinking about race etc.
    OK... so what should I call a black guy? or a fat guy?
    I call a spade a spade... nothing wrong with that.
    ruck-it wrote:
    Personally I just see those people and say 'hey here's a new character' but if you're all pathetic enough to go 'hey here's a black guy, he must be a useless character/colour so he's only here to be the token character'
    ...that's not what I was getting at.
    It's well known that american shows always have the token characters....

High horse. Dismount. Thank you.

Seriously, you need to watch it more, there is far more character development than the pilot.

OK... so what should I call a black guy? or a fat guy?
    I call a spade a spade... nothing wrong with that.
    He was trying to say that its "sick" that when people watch the show and see a black/fat guy that they assume he's just there as a token character. Cause black/fat people are so rare in the real world. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭Morgans

i cant believe that this was compared to some poster earlier on as the first serious drama since the sopranos. Even after two episodes, the problem is the monster. If it were a 'serious' drama, there would have been no need for a polar bear, a monster, and a lot of the other nonsense. If they just had kept it realistic it had some promise, but not as serious drama. A serious drama worth its salt wouldnt have introduced the sexual tension between Kate and the doctor within the first five minutes. Probably not a bad program at its own level, maybe a step above Buffy and all the other fantasy nonsense, if given time.

Its impossible to tell how close the sopranos represents mafia bosses in the states, but they dont have polar bears and giant unseen monsters in vain efforts to keep the interest of the punters. Good television it aint.

I can remembe r a quote from some critic, that "beginning the story in the middle is the tool of the mediocre writer". There is nothing clever in not telling the whole story when you first introduce the character. Let me guess, we are going to have a twist in every episode...big bombshell for five seconds...who cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

watch before judging

I did.

But you don't know anything yet Morgans...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

OK fair enough ya didn't like it but remember this was just the pilot for what turned out to be an amazing show...

I saw the first two and thought "Great show but it's nothing really special"... The pilot was full of tension (obviously not with those feckin O2 ads...) but the show devlops a LOT and the character development is done wonderfully...

Stick with it until episode 4... that's when the fun begins...

• Advertisement

I probably will have to. My tv sporting pleasures are dependent on her indoors being allowed free reign on the remote for Desperate Housewives and now this. So chances are that I will catch more of the program. Entertainment, just about, good television, nah! Not yet anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Morgans wrote:
    i cant believe that this was compared to some poster earlier on as the first serious drama since the sopranos. Even after two episodes, the problem is the monster. If it were a 'serious' drama, there would have been no need for a polar bear, a monster, and a lot of the other nonsense. If they just had kept it realistic it had some promise, but not as serious drama..

My thought exactly.
    The plot (a downed aircraft in the middle of nowhere) has enough to go on by itself it the characters are developed well.
    Obviously this isnt the case and they have seemed to thrown in the monster element... shifting the drama into science fiction.
    I was expecting a dark/thriller/drama, but the monster factor has ruined it for me.

I hate the whole monster thing too but for anyone who wants a slight spoiler
    It doesn't play a big role in the show

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Giblet wrote:
    I hate the whole monster thing too but for anyone who wants a slight spoiler
    It doesn't play a big role in the show

oh, thats good to know.... I'll watch the next few episodes now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,833 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Regardless of the people who didn't like it: Lost will kill in the ratings!

I guarantee ye all it will be the most watched show over the Summer on RTE2. Will take Desperate Housewives No.1 slot in the ratings right now with ease!

And that's the bottom line.... cos basquille says so! :D

Ciaran500 wrote:
    He was trying to say that its "sick" that when people watch the show and see a black/fat guy that they assume he's just there as a token character. Cause black/fat people are so rare in the real world. :rolleyes:
    Don't worry. I was well aware of the OP's intentions in his statement :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

I think it looks like its going to be a pretty interesting show - the sidekick girl turning out to be the prisioner was a big suprise. That 1-2-3-4-5 fear gone bit was incredibly cheesy though!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I have to say I enjoyed it and am now caught up in it to the extent that I can't miss the rest!
    /fuking ad breaks though! :/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭whippet

what other stations is it on apart from Net2?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

Morgans wrote:
    I can remembe r a quote from some critic, that "beginning the story in the middle is the tool of the mediocre writer". There is nothing clever in not telling the whole story when you first introduce the character. Let me guess, we are going to have a twist in every episode...big bombshell for five seconds...who cares.

For what it's worth, I don't think that critic is in any way correct with that being a lazy writer's tool. Secondly, in the case of Lost, we will get everything via flashback, in disjointed orders - the crash, the airport, before the airport, in Australia, in America... It's all there. Just a different device for telling it.

As for twists in every episode - that's not quite how it plays out. Slow, subtle references, some revelations, then some suggestions that the viewer has to think about and figure out... But it becomes more about the characters than about the mysteries over time - the characters lives drive one part of each episode's story, the island mysteries drive the rest.

Advertisement