Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ep III verdicts...?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

People go on about the new films having cheesy dialog and some flakey acting. I think nostalgia and memory are playing tricks on you. The original films, as much as I love them, were pretty damn cheesy and had some flakey delivery of some lines. It's part of the charm.

I thought Episode 3 was great, and it's likely I'll go see it again at some point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭the jew

the film was dirt

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

koneko wrote:
    People go on about the new films having cheesy dialog and some flakey acting. I think nostalgia and memory are playing tricks on you.

the problem with that argument is that i can put the original trilogy on right now and still feel the dialogue is not as cheesy as it is in the new trilogy (i admit a new hope is very very cheesy, but not Empire Strikes back and not (to a lesser extent) Return of the Jedi)

And i did sit down and watch the previous 5 films before going to see episode 3, and i still felt that the dialogue was excessive compared to the originals (but not as bad as phantom)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,942 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Dialogue was a bit crap in parts. "Younglings", the occasional Skywalker/Padme dialogue, the "Noooo" that Darth Vader gave right after being told Padme was dead which made it sound like they had a Wookie in the suit.

But despite all that, I really enjoyed the film. It actually felt like I was watching a "Star Wars" film with all the little pieces that made the original trilogy great, rather than watching some random CGI fest.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    the problem with that argument is that i can put the original trilogy on right now and still feel the dialogue is not as cheesy as it is in the new trilogy (i admit a new hope is very very cheesy, but not Empire Strikes back and not (to a lesser extent) Return of the Jedi)

That isn't a problem with my argument at all, it doesn't affect it in any way. You still have fond memories of the originals, and you feel those when you're watching it. You're not watching them as new films. Watching them now isn't the same at all.

I don't think the dialog is AS cheesy in the originals as in some of the new ones (Episode 2 had some cringe worthy ones), but I think some people really overreact and have a rose-tinted view of the originals.
    Episode 5 is definitely the best, but I would rank Episode 3 before 6 right now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Well I'm an equal opportunities critic - I don't think the original trilogy is all that great either :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

Of course the originals are always going to be the best, most of us were younglings (haha :-)) when we watched them and the nostalgia attached to them etc etc. ask an 8 year old which his favourite one is and i doubt you'd get very many saying empire strikes back and any that do have probably been manipulated by their parents or older brothers! To me ep3 is right up there with ep5. How can you be disappointed? The story is told as it was supposed to be! We all knew the story before going into the cinema didn't we? The only thing that lets the first 2 down is the acting and the special effects are looking dated already (something you can't say with the original trilogy). I think Lucas has made a great improvement on the acting in ep3 and for now the graphics are dazzling!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,942 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I was massively disappointed with the Ep 1 graphics when I first saw it. I thought the CGI ships look absolutely awful, like something out of a cartoon.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Anyone who said that "whoever goes to a star wars movie expecting a script is an idiot" etc. A movie is made up of many parts - a better script in that movie would have made it a fantastic movie for me. You simply cannot get away with having such a massive cgi movie and not backing it up with a decent script. its like having a great looking game, with a great story but having it play like **** - its still a **** game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Oh, and did anyone else notice Grand Moff Tarkin being played by none other than Scorpius! Oh yes, it's him!

I noticed that too...

All in all this film gives a good shine to the previous two, not to make up for horrible scripts but to keep underlying themes going and some went very well

I feel whole again when regards to the story and I can watch 4,5 and 6 in a slightly different perspective (which i will do soon)....

As for effects... they are not for me... I would have gotten more out of a better script than any *flashes and bangs*...

Any one feel that the scenery shots were used very well?... I just wonder if a lot of the previous two films painted a fantastic backdrop which Lucas exploited imho so well... Some great visual treats such as
    The landing strip at the start, or the wookie planet, where anakin and padmae are looking across the skylines looking for direction\inspiration\guidence (the Jedi temple in the background in amidala's view ) then for anakin to go there... bravo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i thought it was very good indeed. the opening sequence did for me what i imagine those who saw ep4 back in the day got out of it....

the story was leagues ahead of ep1 and 2... as was, well everything.

obviously the dialog and acting sucked but name a star wars movie where that was above par....

i liked how it tied both ep3 and 4 together quite nicely... top job there, but i imagine the ending of ep3 was what lucas had in his head when he went about writing this trilogy...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I think watching the last few scenes is enough, the rest is kinda crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

the jew wrote:
    the film was dirt

If your not going to bother putting anything decent on this thread or the other Star Wars thread then why waste everyone time? or are you just trolling?

Anyway back to film....watched it last nite!! good film! everyone seems to forget that when I watched the original 3 I was not even 18 and everything seemed alot easier to understand then and watching a film without reading into every plot was ok.....so I found myself making sure I was in that frame of mind for everyone of the new 3 films.....first 2 where alright.....but EpIII was class....opening blew me away and the light saber parts where class.....

The Nooooo at ending was crap! but one thing that wasnt answered....in Return of the Jedi, Luke asks Leia about her mum and she says that she was always sad but Padme was dead or do we take it that she is talking about her adopted mum???? if so why was she always sad???? I took it that she knew her real mum and she was always sad because Annie had turned to Dark Side and became Vader.....bit thin there!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Grom

If Spielberg directed it, Lucas concentrated on the effects, and you got some talented writer to actually sort the script, I think this movie would probably have gone down in history.

For those blaming the horrible acting by ewan and Portman, I sincerely think they were hindered by a horrible script cause in most other cinematic performances they have done, their acting has been brilliant, As for Hayden Omg, NO SCRIPT WILL EVER HELP HIM :d

All in all an enjoyable popcorn movie, some parts were emotional as I’m a big fan, I think
    “ I hate you” part was delivered well, “You were the chosen one” and “you did this to yourself.”
    Effects simply amazing certainly lucas has set the benchmark for all other movies in the up and coming year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

For me, the most important thing going into this was the change of Anakin to Vader. We all knew going into it what would happen. What had to be done well for this film to succeed was the change.

For those who think it was like a "switch", I disagree. A dimmer-switch maybe. His decision was clearly made in the scene where Padme and Anakin seem to look at each other, that's when he decides where his allegance lies. The on-one-knee "ceremony" is just there to make it concrete.

As for my opinion on how good the film is, all I'll say is the change could not have been handled any better than it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Grom wrote:
    If Spielberg directed it, Lucas concentrated on the effects, and you got some talented writer to actually sort the script, I think this movie would probably have gone down in history.
    As for Hayden Omg, NO SCRIPT WILL EVER HELP HIM :d
    Agreed shame he didnt.
    Grom wrote:
    As for Hayden Omg, NO SCRIPT WILL EVER HELP HIM :d

Disagree - watch Shattered Glass - he's excellent.
    otacon wrote:
    His decision was clearly made in the scene where Padme and Anakin seem to look at each other, that's when he decides where his allegance lies.
    If thats the case why does he spend the first part of the crucial scene on Mace's side? Would have been much better if he had gone into a 'you never trusted me rant' before chopping his arm off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

.... gone into a 'you never trusted me rant' before chopping his arm off.

always with the arm being chopped off ;)

anybody know how many hands and arms are lost in the whole 6 episodes,seems a far too regular occurrance than can be healthy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭beanyb

koneko wrote:
    That isn't a problem with my argument at all, it doesn't affect it in any way. You still have fond memories of the originals, and you feel those when you're watching it. You're not watching them as new films. Watching them now isn't the same at all.

I don't think the dialog is AS cheesy in the originals as in some of the new ones (Episode 2 had some cringe worthy ones), but I think some people really overreact and have a rose-tinted view of the originals.
    Episode 5 is definitely the best, but I would rank Episode 3 before 6 right now.

As a new convert to Star Wars, I'd never seen any before last week, the old films are definitely as cheesy as the new ones. But personally, I think the cheesiness is part of what makes them great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭JCDenton

beanyb wrote:
    As a new convert to Star Wars, I'd never seen any before last week, the old films are definitely as cheesy as the new ones. But personally, I think the cheesiness is part of what makes them great.
    Exactly!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

Saw it today, 10:15 at the UGC and it was pretty good... better than episode 1 and 2 combined and a lot of fun to watch. The little efforts to preserve continuity were well implemented... also,
    Obi-wan's devestation at Anakin's turning was well done... his leaving of him near the magma was pretty emotive.

Grievous was disappointing after the cartoons portrayed him as being almighty... i know Mace crushing him at the end of the cartoon is the reason... but i would have liked to see some good lightsaber fights between him and Obi-wan (although his vehicle thing was damn brilliant)

One other problem was
    Palpatines voice after Mace trying to kill him going all distorted really grated, id have preferred if it just flipped to his voice in Episode 6

Also, the feeling of 'simply giving up' at the end was done well... you got a feel that they had no hope at all, but were grateful that they were alive.

Im never stingy with my marks, so ill bestow an 8.5 / 10 on it... worth my money for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Saviour_Angel

Grom wrote:

As Grom said, (i feel dirty saying that), yes the whole experience would have being much better.
    But we shall never know.
    All in all, this was a good movie but I felt it relied to much on SFX rather then anything else.
    It also seemed that many parts were a little rushed.
    EG:
    The begining, the fight with dooku was very quick and over in seconds.

The acting wasn't great at some parts but we can't blame the actors as they were directed to act in that way.
    EG:
    When Obi tells Pademe that Anakin has killed younglings

After watching the film and taking everything into account I enjoyed the whole experience as it brings together a film from the past and imbues new life into it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Prior Of Taize

man it was so bloody crap

im a fan of the whole series but this was just so appalling in my opinion...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭golfgirl

Really enjoyed the movie, what a rollicking adventure ... I wasn't expecting much from it, but it delivered. Not usually an action film fan, but this film is so much more than that, tying up all those loose ends, and the explanation about skywalker was satisfyingly tragic.

Some of those action sequences were fab, the sets, the light sabres, and even all those weird and horrible looking creatures, that lizard was cool and brought me back to the old Jason & the Argonauts ... the acting was a big improvement on I & II, Christensen looked cool with the curly locks (he looked silly with that plait in II) ... and the DarK Lord, woah, havn't seen evil like that portrayed so well in a long time.

Those giving out about the script, it's Star Wars, not Shakespeare, a couple of cringy lines in there, but like the original movies had really cheesy lines too.

Go see it, and enjoy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

Just saw it yesterday,
    I thought it was fantastic. Rock on lucas, granted the first 2 sucked, but this one put them in perspective, and reniewed my faith. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Prior Of Taize

koneko wrote:
    People go on about the new films having cheesy dialog and some flakey acting. I think nostalgia and memory are playing tricks on you. The original films, as much as I love them, were pretty damn cheesy and had some flakey delivery of some lines. It's part of the charm.

I agree with you about charm and that but by the same rule shouldnt they have done a better job in this day and age?...

Man it is definitely in the top 3 worst films i have ever seen...****ing useless

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I enjoyed it enough to go see it again the next day. Better than I&II combined, better than I expected.
    Sure, still weak in places, still awful at times. But there's some really great stuff in there too. A bit of a mixed bag but at the end of the day, I'm happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

golfgirl wrote:
    Those giving out about the script, it's Star Wars, not Shakespeare, a couple of cringy lines in there, but like the original movies had really cheesy lines too.

That's a fair point. But (even though I really enjoyed the film) some of the lines and the way they were delivered were....horrific.

Palatine's "Ohh, ohh, please don't kill me, ohh!" bit was shudder-inducingly corny.
    The much mentioned Darth Vader "Nooooooo" while being lame, was not that bad.

On the other hand, there was some dialogue I really did like. Probably the best scene in the film is when Palpatine tells Anakin the story of Darth Plagius(sp?) The Wise. Great acting there. If only the rest of the film was at that standard...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Saw it there a few days back but wanted to let it sink in first before saying anything.
    Compared to the other two, which I didn't enjoy much, this was enjoyable at a surface level. I felt that sinking beneath the surface of the film wasn't going to help my enjoyment of it because for the while that I did it became a good bit less enjoyable.
    Some inconsistancies got to me a bit like already mentioned with
    Windu and the three Jedi apprehending Palpatine. If Windu was strong enough to take Palpatine, what was he doing while the others were being killed? If Palpatine could take three Jedi, why'd he have such a problem with Windu?
    I was also a bit pissed off when the Jedi
    instantly became crap when the clones turned on them. Whatever happened to forseeing things? Yoda did it, why couldn't the rest? They seemed to just lose their general skills when this happened.

I thought the manipulation by Palpatine was done quite well but the sudden switch to the Dark Side was a bit cack-handed.

I'm not going to start moaning about the plot because I wasn't expecting much from it at this stage. I did enjoy the film for what's there; the lightsabres, Jedi, fights, and special effects.
    Lightsabre fights weren't great in this up until the Obi Wan - Anakin fight. Dooku was very hastily over and
    Grevious was a bit shoddy too, I thought
    Anakin v Obi-Wan had the drama, the scenery and the actual fight itself was well executed. That was enjoyable.
    Some of the foreshadowing and explanations worked out quite well; Palpatine being disformed by the lightning, Yoda and Obi-Wan going into exile and, my favourite, Obi-Wan picking up the lightsabre after the fight. Bit of a blink and you'll miss it moment, but it wasn't gratutious. Mentioning Chewbacca was a bit unnecessary, I thought.
    Overall, it was better than the other two new Episodes. Enjoyable for what it is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

Pretty disappointing. Enjoyed AOTC more on first viewing, although this will probably stand up better to re-watchings.

The script was absolutely diabolical, the worst of the three films by far. Padme's "this is how liberty dies... to thunderous applause" line stood out like a sore thumb. Who wrote that line? Not Lucas I'd guess, too many complicated words.

The only stage at all in the whole film when I got close to being swept into the story was at the end during the duel. For the rest of it, I was mildly enjoying the SFX while being flabbergasted by the truly terrible dialogue. Irritants like the droid's voices and the limpet-type drones ruined a few scenes too.

The baddies were naff in this -
    McDiarmuid was good as Palpatine up until his transformation - he goes from manipulative, calculating and evil to pantomine cackling lunatic. Vader's "Nooooooooooooooooo!" and Frankenstein bit was hilarious, and Dooku dies at the beginning. General Grievous, despite being quite impressive with 4 sabers, was laughable (Coughing and a stupid voice does not make a fearsome baddie).

Obi-Wan and Anakin's saber duel made it worth watching, though.

5/10

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

One plus is that it's possible Jar Jar ended up on Alderan, for the next 20 years or so hopefully.

Advertisement