Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ep III verdicts...?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

musician wrote:
    All I'll say is that I think any Star Wars fan will enjoy it. Lets do a reverse of the Matrix and pretend the first 2 films don't exist instead.

That's exactly what I said to my friends when we came out of the cinema!
    This is one of the best films I've ever seen, and certainly the best of the 6. Everything that was bad about the first 2 has just been eradicated: The script, acting, special effects, editing, camerawork, cinematography (the beginning is just amazing for this), the characters are really fleshed out... It's just so so f**king good.

I wanna go see it again.

Just...

PERFECT

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Eh.

I always thought that Lucas could not write about anything but simple topics.

This film just proved this for me. The dialogue... :eek:

Pretty explosions tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

cringe factor +10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭cellulite_sally

I enjoyed it, acting was horrid, script I thought was okay as it tied all 6 films together nicely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 koala

ye i liked the effects etc but it was a bit too bang bang clash bang waloop, but Hayden Christensen did it for me, he is bleedin gorgeous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

Great movie overall , needs another viewing though.Lucas has set the standard again for effects , better pace than the first 2 ,
    didn't explain how R2 goes from everything but the kitchen sink to one that can't fly etc in 4 5 and 6

And the other negative was his obsession with dragons , leave that for Harry potter movies and Peter jackson to do

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Going to see it Sunday looking forward to it, first hour and half of Phantom Menace was like an extended ep of Fraggle Rock, the only redemption was the final battle with Darth Maul, to an otherwise shocking movie. Expected better from Attack of The Clones, or as I refer it to as "The OC in Space"
    Best parts were the first glimpse of Anakin turning dark, and Yoda and Count Dooku.
    Empire is by the far the best, Return of The Jedi was a stop gap started good but half way through completely fell to pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

qz wrote:
    Yes.

Qui-Gon Jinn isn't in Return of The Jedi, ghost-form or otherwise. And it's spelt Anakin, not Anikin.

I think he meant that he would have liked to see Qui-Gon Jinn as a ghost ala the ghosts in Jedi.

Over all I thought it brought the whole thing to a nice close. i def tied up all the loose ends, even if you could see where it was all going near the end (what with having seen the original films and all)

Action was amazing.
    Acting was good in parts
    but even Obi Wan let the side down with his heart felt scene watching the security camera. I mean they should have reshot that for sure. And don't get me started on the Noooooooo! from Vader. laughable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

And don't get me started on the Noooooooo! from Vader. laughable!

He sounds like a simpsons character, it was in some episode with Kent Brockman, where he says "Nooooooo"

I was reminded instantly and cringed.

Absolutely terrible scene, that one.

Great movie though, well made with some great emotional value, I was very impressed by the Clone Troopers turning on the Jedi, that was done rather excellently.

I was hoping for more elaboration on the start of the Rebel Alliance, and the turning of Anakin to Vader felt way too rushed, there was fantastic build up throughout AOTC and the first half of RoTS that indicated his inner struggle, but it really happened wayyyy too fast....one minutes he's saying "No, what have I done?", next hes murdering young kids. :p

Overall though, an extremely admirable movie from Lucas, I wasn't disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Sweetness!

I saw it tonight and I thought it really made up for the last two tumbs up all round but I have one question where was Boba Fett, I thought he was meant to re appear in this episode?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Buck Owens

I Saw it tonight as well and I loved it, the story is brillant now that it is complete and all the questions are answered, but then again I wished I cared more when i saw scenes like Padme's funeral and the Jedi being wiped out.

But then again Seening the limbless and burned Anakin scream "I Hate You" at Obi Wan was about this Trilogy's equivelent of the "I am Your Father" Scene.

The 2nd best Star Wars film after Empire. Acion wise the best of the lot. Yoda was amazing, I felt like cheering at the scenes where he jumped up on Chewbacca's back and when he floored Palatines guards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Sweetness!

Buck Owens wrote:
    I felt like cheering at the scenes where he jumped up on Chewbacca's back and when he floored Palatines guards.

I know those scenes were great, Yoda kicks ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Loved Yoda's move when breaking into the Jedi Temple where he throws his lightsaber through one of the stormtroopers, jump up on him and pulls the laber out of his chest. Such a cool move.

btw, Buck Owens, you may want to use spoiler tags there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

sprinkles wrote:
    I think he meant that he would have liked to see Qui-Gon Jinn as a ghost ala the ghosts in Jedi.

bingo.

yeah thats what i want now, sould they re-cut rotj to include qui gon?
    seems like they should include him now if they explained he
    has found immortal life?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Best way I can think of to sum up Episode III is:

Subtle, with a capital B.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Saviour_Angel

This was certinaly the best out of the 3 new films but I think it lacks the passion of the oringals...

Oh and does anyone else think that when vader is in his black suit, do ye think he's a bit thin ??? Guess he must have packed on a few pounds in between this film and a New Hope..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Bill Gates

Saw it the other day at Ster Century (the big one), wow that's a cool cinema screen!

I thought it was awesome. So many memorable moments. The light sabre battles were just astonishing, the force powers (yoda knocking out the emperors guards omg!), the way Lucas gave us the final piece of the Star Wars jig saw puzzle. 100 x better than LOTR :)

Some of the acting and a lot of the script could have been better, but if you went to that film expecting shakespeare in space then you are an idiot. :p The space battles were not nearly as good as the ones in 4,5 & 6.

9.5/10 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

saw it last night and i gotta say one of the coolest things was that Jar Jar didn't open his mouth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Oh and does anyone else think that when vader is in his black suit, do ye think he's a bit thin ??? Guess he must have packed on a few pounds in between this film and a New Hope..

It was still Hayden Christensen in the suit. He wanted to actually be Vader as we always new him, rather than some stunt man doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

weemcd wrote:
    yeah thats what i want now, sould they re-cut rotj to include qui gon?
    lol, I can just see Luke looking over his shoulder; "Wow it's yoda, and obi wan, and I guess that must be my dad, and.....some guy with a beard......"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Million_Dead

nope.....worst film of the year

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Went to see it last night and there were definitely good and bad points about it:

PROS:

- Very impressive effects
    - Action-packed fight scenes
    - Story was well worked to tie in all the bits that we know from the original trilogy
    - Yoda kicks ass!

CONS:

- The script. George Lucas should just come up with a storyboard and let someone else write his scripts. Some of the dialogue made me cringe.
    - The acting. Well specifically Hayden Christiansen's acting, if it can be called that. He's more wooden than my PC desk. Natalie Portman wasn't any great shakes either.
    - Not enough Wookies!

VERDICT:

Better than I dared hope for after the debacles of the last two movies. Better than the movies in the orginal trilogy? Not a chance. It still lacked the wit, humour and swashbuckling action they had. There's not one single character that I cared what happened to them in the new trilogy (well OK, except for Yoda), whereas the original films were a rollercoaster ride that had you rooting for the heroes all the way. 7/10

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Just got back from it a few mins ago,damn it was good! Made up for the last two and brought everything full circle! :D

9/10

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Saw it for the second time today. Really good film bar the "Nooooooooooooo!".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Saw it and all I can say is wow, unbelievable stuff, the transformation of Anakin from good to evil is the most captivating, and how he's towing with the idea, just like the comment on the muppet ushers in UGC, we were shown the right seats then asked to move, bloody idiots.
    The Light saber scens were fantastic. Better then Jedi just behind Empire.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

I loved the lines "You were the chosen one", and "You did that yourself" from Obi Wan to Anakin. Very well delivered.

"I hate you!" was great too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Saw it yesterday and are getting more disappointed the more I think about it.

To be honest forget for a sec its Star Wars and it was worse than The Chronicles of Riddick. Cod Space Opera.

Appalling Dialog/Script/Directing - GL should have let someone else do the job. How else do you explain such appaling acting from excellent actors like Mcgregor and Portman and to a lesser extent Hayden.

Too much CGI - some of the battle scenes were way too busy.
    Lousy sabre duels compared to TPM.
    Turn to the darkside was too quick/poorly ordered.
    Padme was a wimp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Excellent film, loved it.
    I can't say I noticed the bad acting or script ... since I've recently expanded my suspension of disbelief to silence my inner critic and just stfu and enjoy the film... before I did that, I found myself watching CG sequences going "hmmm, I dunno, that doesn't look right... animation is too stiff, lighting is all wrong, yadda yadda moan." ... to the point where I wasn't paying attention to the story these scenes were telling.
    So I probably let a lot of stuff slide here, but
    -Wowzers, that bit where anakin chops off Dokus hands, catches his lightsaber and holds them at his neck... fantastic, especially considering the ass-whooping he got in Episode2... sweet revenge :D

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭ether

I'd give it a 6 or 7, felt it was brilliant in places(windu battling sidious) but then it was very rushed with the whole transformation to Vader part. Hayden seemed too nicey nice one minute to become a jedi killer the next.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

i seen it friday in UGC. I thought it was a terrible movie, the special effects were amazing but the script and acting were just awful. Not a patch on any of the 3 originals. NOOOOOOO. i nearly pissed myself laughing..... haha... sounded stupid

Advertisement