Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Product Recall - Grasslin QE7 Water Heater

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭homeOwner

Did anyone see the item on the 6 O'Clock news on RTE last night. They did a 10 min slot about the recall and the problems that people were having. Apparently there have been major fires with them - apartments destroyed. I actually missed it but heard about it later, tuned into the 9oClock news but they didnt repeat it.

Suppose to be getting mine done this morning. So far, no sign of anyone. I have called to find out where I am on the list today and waiting for someone to call me back......I wont hold my breath. The engineer is supposed to call me when he is on the way so I can get my mum to pop over to the apartment, no way am I taking the day off work again for this when there is a good chance he wont even show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Dave Sully

homeOwner wrote:
    Did anyone see the item on the 6 O'Clock news on RTE last night. They did a 10 min slot about the recall and the problems that people were having. Apparently there have been major fires with them - apartments destroyed. I actually missed it but heard about it later, tuned into the 9oClock news but they didnt repeat it.

Suppose to be getting mine done this morning. So far, no sign of anyone. I have called to find out where I am on the list today and waiting for someone to call me back......I wont hold my breath. The engineer is supposed to call me when he is on the way so I can get my mum to pop over to the apartment, no way am I taking the day off work again for this when there is a good chance he wont even show.

unfortunately I missed that, woudl of been intrested to see it.

I originally logged my qe7 for replacment in July, I finally got it replaced about 3 weeks ago, after 3 no shows from engineers.

I had to be firm with them to get it sorted:

Edit:

I received 2 calls

Sent: 21 November 2005 15:33
    To: 'Girach, Hanif (GE Consumer & Industrial)'
    Cc: Christen, Tiziano (GE Consumer & Industrial); @CONS/IND QE7recall
    Subject: RE: Grasslin QE7 recall,

Hello.

I have lost my patience with this.

I received 2 calls last week from GE guaranteeing that an engineer would be out TODAY

Between 8am and 2pm

I have taken another .5 day off work for this.

I have received no call from any engineer – no engineer has tuned up to replace my QE7.

I have taken 1 day in total off work at my expense, only to be let down by your companies complete incompetence and organization skills.

I work with engineers all the time here at work, I know how it works.

It down to bad management for this.

I am going to give who-ever is responsible for this disastrous organization the next 24 hours to resolve this issue.

The next time you will hear from me will be from my Solicitor.

A extremely pissed off,

Dave OSullivan

From: Girach, Hanif (GE Consumer & Industrial) [mailto:hanif.girach@GE.com]
    Sent: 06 October 2005 14:34
    To: OSULLIVAN DAVID
    Cc: Christen, Tiziano (GE Consumer & Industrial); @CONS/IND QE7recall

Dear Dave

Replacement parts are not as yet available.

These will start to be available in Mid November.

You are already on our database and will contact them as soon as parts are available.

Sorry for all the inconvenience cause and thanks for your patience.

Please feel free to contact me if I can be of any further assistance

Best Regards

Hanif

Hanif Girach

Project Manager

GE Consumer & Industrial

E-mail: mailto:hanif.girach@ge.com

Phone: 44 (0)116 290 5269 DC: * 444 5269

Original Message
    Sent: 05 October 2005 17:17
    To: david.osullivan@; Girach, Hanif (GE Consumer & Industrial)
    Cc: DiaryManagementTeamGE@sitel.co.uk; Findley, Craig (GE Energy, Non GE); Vallejo, Jorge (GE Consumer & Industrial)

Hi Dave,

I forward you request to hanif Girach. Our recall manager in UK.

Regards

Tiziano

Original Message
    Sent: mercredi, 5. octobre 2005 16:21
    To: Christen, Tiziano (GE Consumer & Industrial)
    Cc: DiaryManagementTeamGE@sitel.co.uk; Findley, Craig (GE Energy, Non GE); Vallejo, Jorge (GE Consumer & Industrial)
    Importance: High

Sent: 05 October 2005 14:24
    To: OSULLIVAN DAVID; 'Christen, Tiziano (GE Consumer & Industrial)'
    Cc:

Hi Christen,

I am aware that you are no longer in charge of this recall.

Can you please forward this request to whoever is in charge?

Thanks

Dave

Sent: 09 August 2005 08:50
    To: 'Christen, Tiziano (GE Consumer & Industrial)'
    Cc:

Hi Christen,

Has there been any update on this?

Thanks

Dave

From: Christen, Tiziano (GE Consumer & Industrial) [mailto:Tiziano.Christen@ge.com]
    Sent: 03 August 2005 07:11

Dear Dave,

I made personally sure first of all on the list appointments to be set as soon as enough parts are available. We believe this will take another couple of weeks before we are able to set an appointment.

Thanks a lot for your patience

Best regards

Tiziano

Original Message
    Sent: mardi, 2. août 2005 10:41
    To: Christen, Tiziano (GE Consumer & Industrial); dciosullivan@gmail.com

Hello Christen,

Many thanks for the reply.

At the moment we are able to get Hot water, but this is inconvenient

as you can imagine, having to turn the timer on & off.

Many occasions we do not have hot water - i.e. the morning!

Would you have any update on roughly how long this will take?

It just that my heavily pregnant wife is growing very

impatient with this situation, I am sure we are all doing

out best to resolve it.

when the new parts do come in, I would also like some assurance that

the engineer will turn up this time, the last time they did not turn up - 9th July

I had to take a .5 day off work, which is costing me money.

Thanks again for your help,

Dave

Sent: None
    Subject:

Dear Mr Sullivan

please apologize for the delay in my answer.

In fact we are incurring parts availability difficulties at present. However please let us know if the hot water unavailability is due to a defect of your water timer or if it is simply due to the fact you turned it off.

If the timer is defect then we will arrange a priority visit to fit a temporary switch allowing you to have hot water again.

If the actual timer has no defects you can continue to use following our recall safety precautions. I attach them once again.

Awaiting your reply

Best regards

Tiziano Christen

Original Message
    Sent: mardi, 2. août 2005 09:48
    To: Christen, Tiziano (GE Consumer & Industrial)
    Subject: FW: Grasslin QE7 recall,

Hi Christen,

I was just wondering if you have any update on this?

Thanks for your time,

Dave

Sent: 26 July 2005 09:14
    To: 'Tiziano.Christen@ge.com'
    Subject: Grasslin QE7 recall,

Dear Tiziano Christen

My name is Dave O`Sullivan, I am trying to arrange

the replacement of my QE7 Grasslin heater.

I have been doing my research over the internet,

and came across your email address, I hope

you don't mind me contacting you directly.

Unfortunately I have not had much luck getting,

the heater replaced, I will not bore you with the details,

I am sure you have heard it many times before!

Anyway, I have just tried to log another call to replace the

QE7 via the 1800 946360 number, but I have just been

informed that they will no longer log any calls because

they no longer have any spare parts?

This is becoming very difficult as you can imagine,

since we have no hot water in my new apartment.

I was hoping you might be able to recommend

something that I could do?

Thanks for your time,

Dave OSullivan

From: Christen, Tiziano (GE Consumer & Industrial) [mailto:Tiziano.Christen@ge.com]
    Sent: 02 August 2005 08:36
    Cc: Diary management Sitel (E-mail); Findley, Craig (GE Energy, Non GE); Vallejo, Jorge (GE Consumer & Industrial)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭homeOwner

They came as arranged and it was done in about 5mins. He even called me like I asked and gave me 30 mins notice. Grasslen must have really stepped up their service. The engineer told me they want to have them all replace by end of Jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 maeve49

I just got a letter the other day from Grasslin asking me not to use the water heater, same problem as before, even though they replaced the part in the summer already, do we have to contact them again, the letter gave me the impression that they would be in touch to arrange the replacement but I haven't heard anything further, have they started replacing them, should I wait for them to get in touch?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

maeve49 wrote:
    I just got a letter the other day from Grasslin asking me not to use the water heater, same problem as before, even though they replaced the part in the summer already, do we have to contact them again, the letter gave me the impression that they would be in touch to arrange the replacement but I haven't heard anything further, have they started replacing them, should I wait for them to get in touch?

Badly written letter isn't it? Ring them to make an appointment. Lines open 9-5 Mon - Fri.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Threadser

Like all of you I had a nightmarish time in the summer trying to get my water heater replaced. Several no show appointments, wasted afternoons taken off work....not to mention hours on the phone trying to sort things out on that helpline...

Needless to say I was shocked to be contacted by them again just before Christmas to say there was a problem with the newly replaced parts...this time the engineer actually showed up at the arranged time ..and it was sorted in 5 mins....amazing!

Hopefully we won't be hearing from them again anytime soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bluefish29

Hi,

Like eveyone else in this thread, I've had to get my QE7 switch replaced twice!

Can I ask a question of anyone else who had it replaced, did the engineer leave a plastic cover over the dial (timer with the pins to push-out)?
    I've tried the helpline the 1800 but they're closed for the evening.

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 78,250 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Flimsy plastic? Hard plastic? Clear plastic?

bluefish29 wrote:
    Hi,

Can I ask a question of anyone else who had it replaced, did the engineer leave a plastic cover over the dial (timer with the pins to push-out)?
    Thanks,

A clear plastic one is standard, it just pops off, but it's there to protect the pin settings under normal use

Got mine done today - hopefully for the last time. Apparantly 12,500 have to be changed in the current round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭Ardent

Got mine replaced (for the second time!) earlier this month.

I'm a little worried about this latest replacement. I put the boost on last night and afterwards, well after the hour the boost was set for, pressing the boost button would neither turn the SINK light off nor boost again. The SINK light was on last thing before going to bed last night and first thing getting up this morning.

I turned off the timer before going to work, it was warm. Was never warm before. Has anyone experienced this? Time to ring Grasslin I think....

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Eppie

Does anyone have an instruction manual for the Grasslin QE7? I can't make head nor tail of it. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭619C

Eppie wrote: »
    Does anyone have an instruction manual for the Grasslin QE7? I can't make head nor tail of it. Thanks!

Recall Notice:
    http://www.tfc-group.co.uk/_sa_webapp/runa583.html?page=260

Product Library
    http://www.tfc-group.co.uk/_sa_webapp/run5e66.html?page=280

QE7 Economy Timeswitch
    http://www.tfc-group.co.uk/assets/graphics/static/QE7.pdf

QE7+ Economy Timeswitch - (The Replacement)
    http://www.tfc-group.co.uk/assets/graphics/static/QE7+.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

619C wrote: »

Why are you responding to a post that's over four years old?

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Lochaber

Hello,

I know this is an extremely old thread but... I bought an apartment last year and my water heater has just broken. I went looking it up and I found this thread... I have a Grasslin QE7!

I know my apartment has been rented since it was built and the previous owner lived overseas so my suspicion is that it was never fixed - is there a way to tell by looking if it was fixed or not?

Kind regards,
    Lochaber

Lochaber wrote: »
    Hello,

I know this is an extremely old thread but... I bought an apartment last year and my water heater has just broken. I went looking it up and I found this thread... I have a Grasslin QE7!

I know my apartment has been rented since it was built and the previous owner lived overseas so my suspicion is that it was never fixed - is there a way to tell by looking if it was fixed or not?

Kind regards,
    Lochaber
    Yep, if it has been replaced it should be a QE7+ rather than a QE7. How's that for a quick response... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Lochaber

Hehe, thanks! As I suspected, it has not been replaced... Gah! Guess I've got a few calls to make today...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 LexeLuther

Lochaber wrote: »
    Hehe, thanks! As I suspected, it has not been replaced... Gah! Guess I've got a few calls to make today...

Lochaber I am in the exact same situation as you. What happened? Who did you call? Thanks a mil

LexeLuther wrote: »
    Lochaber I am in the exact same situation as you. What happened? Who did you call? Thanks a mil
    The recall finished years ago so you'll need to purchase a QE7+ and install it yourself (or get an electrician to install it ;)).

• Registered Users Posts: 5 SF09

If anyone still has a QE7 installed in their house/apartment, the manufacturer is still trying to remove them from the market. Please contact the company Mr. Electric John Smith 0404-32904 or john.smith@mr-electric.ie

They should send an engineer to remove the time clock and replace it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 SF09

Please note that the recall has not finished if you need a QE7 replaced please contact John Smith Company Mr. Electric at 0404 32904

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Shannonsider

I have a QE7+ version and the timer has stopped working. You have to manually turn the timer to turn the water on, does anyone know if there's an easy way of fixing this? I'm no electrician but i'm willing to give something a go if it's 'easy to fix'!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 2Dinners Daly

0utshined wrote: »
    This seems like the most appropiate place to put this.

There has been a product recall on Grasslin QE7 Water Heater Timers. Some of ye may have this model installed in your home, I know I did. If you do then you need to ring 1800 946 360 to arrange an engineer to come out and fix/replace it.
    Its 24/8/2012 and I've just found out about this. I have updated contact details, because the web is not helping on this (welcome to the Irish internets).
    Faulty Unit is the Grasslin QE7.
    email: 6 Main Street
    Wicklow Town
    Co. Wicklow
    Ireland
    Tel: 0404 32904
    Email: enquiries@mr-electric.ie
    Call and arrange to replace your timer. It's no charge.
    The National Consumer Agency is not up to date on their website but are up to date with above information when you call them. Mr Electric's website has no juice going to it, it's down.
    Here's a picture of the Grasslin QE 7

Here's the url for the National Consumer Agency Grasslin QE 7 alert page:
    http://www.nca.ie/index.jsp?a=783&n=127&p=103

• Registered Users Posts: 1 samgaughan

Hi, I had a Grasslin QE7 faulty water timer that burned out a few days ago. I called Mr Electric in Wicklow town yesterday and an electrician called and replaced the timer with a Grasslin QE7+ model free of charge today, very efficient service and great it was free also. Mr Electric's number is 0404 32904. Job only took 30 mins or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Bart34

My TRAC QE7 timer burnt out the other night.Didnt know these were recalled until I found it online.Can I still get it replaced or does anybody know?

Bart34 wrote: »
    My TRAC QE7 timer burnt out the other night.Didnt know these were recalled until I found it online.Can I still get it replaced or does anybody know?

http://www.consumerhelp.ie/index.jsp?p=103&n=127&a=783

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Francis G

I left a message yesterday for John using the phone number supplied on earlier posts. He called back today & advised me to complete the online request at the following url and send him directly a photo of my timer unit. And that he would be in touch afterwards

qe7rec.graesslin.de/index.php

Some company text from the page

"Our products can be precisely identified by the name GRÄSSLIN printed on housing. Please check and confirm that installed product is definitely a GRÄSSLIN Product.

Only QE7 model is subject of the product recall for safety reasons. QE7+ and ECOsave version are not subject of this recall, but will be replaced free of charge in any case of thermal deformations or damages."

So my take on this is that the QE7 recall remains open.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Goldigga

Our Grasslin QE7 burnt out the other day.. only realizing bow there was a recall on these In 2005.... The year we bought the apartment.

Does anyone know if we can still get these replaced through the recall?

Goldigga wrote: »
    Our Grasslin QE7 burnt out the other day.. only realizing bow there was a recall on these In 2005.... The year we bought the apartment.

Does anyone know if we can still get these replaced through the recall?

Not sure. Check out the link in the post above yours and see if it's still active.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

I was having issues with mine during last winter. Just assumed my element was faulty until I had time to test it. Never bothered replacing it. My timer is a QE7 + . After coming accros this thread I pulled off the faceplate and there was some minor carbon residue. Disconnected it and went onto

https://safeelectric.ie/safety-notice/important-safety-warning-concerning-graesslin-qe7-electric-water-heating-control/

Now the QE7 is definitely covered but the QE7+ is only covered if there has been a fault of noticeable build up of carbon due to faulty contacts when the faceplate it pushed on. Fill out the online form and in my case Mr electric had arranged a free replacent for the next morning with an eco save. Essentially the same unit with better contact points

Advertisement