Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Product Recall - Grasslin QE7 Water Heater

Options
  • 19-05-2005 10:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭

This seems like the most appropiate place to put this.

There has been a product recall on Grasslin QE7 Water Heater Timers. Some of ye may have this model installed in your home, I know I did. If you do then you need to ring 1800 946 360 to arrange an engineer to come out and fix/replace it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

One of my neighbours called around about that last night and it would appear that all the aprtments my building have these. (At the time, I thought he might have been a crazed water heater false alarm fetishist).

Ya gotta love how much effort they made to get the message out to the general public (sarcastic). :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

I only found out due to a letter from my management company. I thought they were looking for money so almost didn't open it! :)

The cynic in me would say that by printing an ad in the Irish Times they have legally fulfilled their responsibilities but don't want it to be common knowledge as it will cost them a lot to replace the product. Of course we all know multinational corporations don't behave like that don't we? (Fight Club anyone?). They're owned by GE so they're not a small company by any means.

Anyway, I gave them a call and they're going to send an engineer out to replace it so i'm happy. It's only a 5 minute call so it's worth it for peace of mind. Hope yours gets sorted too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭MoeHawk

I didnt check yet, dont know what a water heater is

A water heater will look something like this.

It's for heating the water in your apartment for baths showers etc.

The timer seems to be what's at fault and it'll look something like this.

In fact the Grasslin timer doesn't resemble that very much, it is more rectangular with a dial on the right hand side. It will say Grasslin and QE7 on it though. You should check your hot press, it's a 2 second job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

0utshined wrote:
    The cynic in me would say that by printing an ad in the Irish Times they have legally fulfilled their responsibilities but don't want it to be common knowledge as it will cost them a lot to replace the product. Of course we all know multinational corporations don't behave like that don't we? (Fight Club anyone?). They're owned by GE so they're not a small company by any means.

I read the Irish Times just about every day and didn't notice anything so if they had an ad there, it must have been a fairly unnoticeable one. The only on-line source I could find with info about it was an obscure local newspaper from Manchester in England!

Does anyone know where Irish law stands on things like this?

simu wrote:
    I read the Irish Times just about every day and didn't notice anything so if they had an ad there, it must have been a fairly unnoticeable one. The only on-line source I could find with info about it was an obscure local newspaper from Manchester in England!

Does anyone know where Irish law stands on things like this?

My Management company gave us a copy of the ad to allow us to check it out but it was a third-generation indistinct copy. Fair play to mailman, that seems to be the ad I've seen and a much clearer version at that. Searching online I've seen a few references thought not through Google for some reason. Wrong search term maybe?

I'm not sure what the situation is with respect to their requirements under Irish law. I could check it out but i'd rather see how their engineer deals with it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

simu wrote:
    I read the Irish Times just about every day and didn't notice anything so if they had an ad there, it must have been a fairly unnoticeable one. ?

It was about A4 size on IT Friday May 6th - Unfortunately I've no way of scanning it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

you don't live in Royal canal park do you, outshined?

they fitteed the entire estate with them, still have to call them myself
    the management said they recommend the residents to call as GE are treating eng users as priority.
    would have thought it would have been better getting them t ochange all in bulk, would save worktime for GE

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭babaduck

We have them fitted in a few developments & they are addressing individual users first & giving the contractors the last batch for a bulk replacement

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

babaduck wrote:
    We have them fitted in a few developments

do you work for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

better picture here:

qe7.jpg

gilgamesh I don't, I live in Naas. I've had mine replaced now, it seems to be a problem with the front plate on them but it's a relatively quick fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭babaduck

Gilgamesh wrote:
    do you work for them?

You must be joking - they're a very common timeclock & a lot of electrical contractors use them in houses & apartments, hence the huge recall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭homeOwner

Has anyone else been notified about the recall of the Grasslin water heater and if so have you been able to get it replaced?

I made an appointment with them for yesterday and was given a window between 8am and 2pm. I took the day off work and the engineer never showed up.

My sister who lives about 10 mins away in another apartment block had an appointment for yesterday afternoon between 2pm and 8pm. He didnt show to her place either. This is her second appointment, he didnt show the first time either.

I have spent a fortune on the phone to these people trying to find out what is going on. THe help desk is somewhere in the UK so they dont actually have anything to do with the company who sends out the engineer, they just take the bookings.

I am waiting for "someone" to call me back to arrange another appointment, as they wouldnt do it over the phone when I called to complain that the guy didnt show up. I was put through to a different place than the one that takes the bookings.

This is getting ridiculous. Between my sister and myself they have made a fortune off the phone calls alone.

Has anyone else had a problem getting this done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 JP1977

I've phoned free phone number and arranged for engineer to call out and replace faulty timer twice. Both times no one turned up and no phone call.

It seems by placing ad in paper they satisfy legal responisibility but aren't so quick at replacing units.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

homeOwner wrote:
    This is getting ridiculous. Between my sister and myself they have made a fortune off the phone calls alone.

Has anyone else had a problem getting this done?

No problem with the guy showing - both times - once to fix it, once to fix it properly (different guy)

Did notice on the guys work sheets a long list of places, and all very spread out. Same guy working on jobs from Bray to Swords on one day - so there may be a problem with thanks to the UK call centre not knowing local conditions.

By the way the number is a freephone (1800) isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 maeve49

Hi There!
    I have had terrible problems with these people from Grasslin, I first rang on May 7th and got an appointment for the following week, as I live not too far from my work I asked them to give me a call on my mobile when they were on the way and they never called, never showed up, I had to ring back and go through the whole procedure on the recorded message, takes about 10 mins to actually get talking to someone, they made another appointment for June 9th - a whole month away, that was last Thursday and guess what they never showed up or never rang, I rang them on Friday and told them I was fed up at this stage, they have arranged for someone to call tomorrow - 16th and the guy said 'lets hope that they turn up this time' so I don't exactly have much confidence in them showing up tomorrow!

Luckily I haven't had to take time off work, but am annoyed, my apartment is only fairly new and not having a basic thing like hot water is really not on, they said it only takes 15 mins to heat the water for a shower, and this is definately not the case, it is only a new timer, it should work, they are putting us at an inconvenience for their manufacturing problems and then they can't be bothered showing up!

I think 1800 numbers still cost when you call from a mobile? Well if it is free, then that is something at least. I dont have a landline in my apartment so I was expecting a huge bill as I have spent well over an hour on the phone all in all.

They still havent called me to make an appointment so I guess I'll be on the phone to them for another 20 mins this evening.

Lets hope they show up this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 maeve49

Aagh! I am still waiting for my Grasslin Heater to be replaced!!
    I had appointment last Thursday and guess what they never showed up! thats the third time they have done this, I just rang them and nobody can come out until middle of July!
    Homeowner - did the guy show up for you?
    I have a new flatmate moving in next week and as this has been going on since begining of May I was sure it would be sorted out by now! :confused:

I had my second appointment for yesterday between 2pm-8pm. I called at 1pm to make sure i was on the list and was told that i was #3 on the list for the day. No one had turned up by 5pm so I called back. The guy tried to call the engineer but his phone was off. No one turned up. I am so frustrated at this point. I really dont want to waste another day hanging around for these people to turn up. But i have no choice. I am so mad I cant even tell you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 goingmental

Homeowner,
    Have you had any success with getting your Grasslin replaced?
    I have had similar problems, they were supposed to come back in may to replace it and never showed up,i made another appointment for yest(about 5 weeks ago) and even rang yest morn to make sure they were coming,and the time etc was all verified from 6-8. left work early to make sure i was there, and at about 7.30 discovered a letter in post box to say they had been there at 3.30 and there was no one there at the "arranged time".
    I am going so mad about this, i mean this is a potential disaster,, all it takes is one person in the apt block to forget about leaving theirs on and the whole place could be affected,
    Have rang this morning to complain(yet again) and am still waiting for the manager to ring me back,, i think i could be waiting,,,,,! :mad:

Homeowner?
    Have you had any success getting it replaced?
    Am gone mental since May trying to get them out,
    they were supp to come at end of May and never showed(no calls either :( )
    and i made another appt for yest between 6-8,, even rang yest morn to confirm,, and all was well.. they were on their way... at 3.30 !!
    left note which i found at 7. had left work early to be sure to be there.
    Rang AGAIN (5th time ) today and asked to speak to manager who has now put me on a "priority list" ya right,
    wont hold my breath,
    Thing that gets me is, if they are all supp to be recalled and some of them faulty,, what happens when someone else in the block turns theirs on and heads off and forgets about it.. the whole apt block can be affected,,
    grrrr :mad:

I managed, after a long time spent hunting on the good ol internet, to find contact details for grasslin.co.uk. I fired off an email to their sales, finance and technical departments (the only email addresses on the web site) in the hope that someone would pass it on to the relevant person

I got a reply from the project manager in charge of the recall. He/She (I cant tell from the name which it was) was very appologetic and is appalled at what I experienced. I have his/her mobile number and have been promised to be top of the list for Saturday. They are personally going to make sure I get seen to. It appears it is worth complaining sometimes. Below is the reply I got, maybe you too should write to them.

Dear Mrs Foley,

many thanks for your e-mail. I'm the operations manager of this project.

I'm really concerned to read what happened below. I have really no words to
    describe how sorry we are.

For your information, for the product recall we have established a completely
    separate and dedicated organization, using one of our service companies to do
    the field service replacements. It is concerning me that our call centre did not
    advise you where to address your concerns to me on first instance. I will make
    sure this will be repeated again, in order to avoid similar future inconvenient
    in the communication.

We had in fact difficulties to meet all daily appointment of all our engineers.
    Main reasons were delays in the way between single appointments, which made
    several times impossible for our engineers to recover the appointment missed
    during the same day. This problem affected about 3-5% of all visits done so far.
    Dublin was the most affected area due to the high number of replacement we have
    to do there. All engineers involved are fully dedicated only for the recall and
    have no other jobs assigned outside of it.

To improve the situation we reduced the daily visits of each engineer, added
    more engineers and put in place a team of engineers working on priorities which
    sometimes where also creating problems in the visit routing.

I will make sure our engineers manager Mr. Findley, copied on this e-mail, does
    assign your appointment right at the beginning of the morning on Saturday 9th
    July of one engineer, so you do not need to wait again too long time.

I will make sure your situation will be overlooked by myself to ensure complete
    conclusion.

In case of needs you find my mobile number below and you can contact me at any
    moment.

We apologize once again for the inconvenient we have caused you Mrs Foley.

Many thanks for your understanding.

Best regards

GE Consumer & Industrial

Tiziano Christen
    Field Operations Manager
    AfterSales & Services

M: +41 79 6210266
    Email: Tiziano.Christen@ge.com

thats great thanks homeowner,
    will send them a mail right away,, i am getting really fed up of this not having hot water when you need it lark, aside from the fact that its dangerous,
    Am still waiting for them to get back to me from this morning,
    I contacted the manager there who was all apologetic and said i would be seen tomoro morn, but i am fecked it i am wasting a whole sat for them to not turn up!!

Thanks Homeowner for help on this,,,
    I had a great email written and was about to send it when the engineer himself rang me and arranged sat morn to fix it,,
    He arrived true to his word at 10 sat morn,
    so happy days,,
    just for anyone else going mad about this issue,, keep ringing that number and ask to speak to manager..
    they are bloody useless company but you;ll get there in the end :rolleyes:

Glad to hear it got sorted in the end. I got mine done on Saturday too. They turned up at 10:30am. At 11:15am another guy turned up and was really annoyed that someone had been already. Talk about lack of organisation. I suppose that means someone else on the list didnt get seen to. Anyway, its done now.

Call the number!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Dave Sully

Hello all!

please dont bite I`m new!

anyway I am having great difficulty
    in getting my QE7 replaced,

like many others I took .5 a day off work,
    and the engineer did not turn up.

I have now logged my call for the 3rd time,
    and they told me that they can not longer
    logf any calls because they do not have any
    replacment parts!!!!!!

they did not even give me a option!

• Advertisement

Did you call the person coordinating the recall (the details are given a few posts back in this thread). He should be able to help. I am sure if they have run out they will get more - it is their legal obligation to replace all of them.

Complain, complain, complain! Seriously it seems only if you shout loudest will you be listened to. :D

Good luck.

Advertisement