Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tall Ships Race - Traffic Plans

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

looks deserted out there, the web cams of the quays look like somthing form 28 days later, nobody in sight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭odie

Jaysus, it's mental trying to get thru Ferrybank or Newrath all the back roads around the golf links are closed off.

And as far as I have heard there are very few people in town.

I reckon these councillors have gotten it all wrong with their traffic plans. They are keeping people out of town rather than letting the tourists in.

Waterford has been turned ito a ghetto for this tall ships.

And all I keep hearing about, is the resentment for their traffic plans. I reckon they were thought up in a pub and written on the back of a stamp for all the organisational chaos they are causing.

Creating 3-5 mile tailbacks to get into a provincial town so that a few high falluting councillors can get their pictures in the munster express is a bit much.

Just checked out the Webcams. More gardai than people on the streets. I hope it blows up in the city councils face. Most of my mates can't even get in to work, and those that did, it took over an hour to travel what normally takes 20 mins in rush hour on a bad day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

aye

lots of people were late getting to work here too due to the tailbacks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

I live inside the cordon and it's very quiet alright. The helicopters are starting to annoy me though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Going out the Inner Relif Road and Cork rd this morning all was pretty quiet (8.30 ish) and on the way home (1.30 ish) not mad at all. On the N25 at Lemybrien all passenger cars are being advised to go via Carrick-on-Suir/Granny for Rosslare.

That bloody 'copter is overhead every 5 mins! :eek:

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

I think there's three of them all flying around at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

Stupid helicopters are annoying me, is there one taking off from Kilbarry Sports Center area? Just went to the shops in Kilcohan and heard one close by

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Dac51

cykedout wrote:
    And what do you do if you live in the suburbs and such (Lismore Park) and want to get into town. You can't drive, so you either walk or take a bus. However, are the normal bus routes free like these "Park and Ride" routes OR do you have to pay? If so, this is a complete crock!!!!!

You have to pay to use normal bus services. Although Bus Eireann have dropped the price by 25c down to €1. Still lousy though charging those who would normally use the bus while those using the park and ride can get the bus into town for free.

are the dublin bus double deckers for the park and ride?
    i ask this becaause some bangers also which were definately for the park and ride

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

solas wrote:
    I live inside the cordon and it's very quiet alright. The helicopters are starting to annoy me though.

Same here, damn thing woke me up this morning :mad:
    It took one of the mangers at work 3hrs to get to work today, normally takes about 90min.

• Advertisement

I just didnt bother going to work ;)

Driving wihin the cordon is grand. Only distrubances we have had is the cops/ambulances sirens and the helicoppters. I live very close to the river/quays and on the route to the hospital so thats to be expected.

Cordon finished at about 22:50 tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

solas wrote:

lol...that's a pretty eerie statement, again like something from 28 days later.

It is a bit of excitement for the town alright, although it is very strange seeing Dublin buses spinning around the town.

I made my comedy debut in Revolution last night and the Tall Ships and the people that it has brought to town gave me some much needed material...

wasn't 250,000 people here though ;)

Will be busy on friday and saturday though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭peepsbates

solas wrote:

Too right they are annoyin i work nights n cant get a wink of sleep durin the day :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

odie wrote:
    Jaysus, it's mental trying to get thru Ferrybank or Newrath all the back roads around the golf links are closed off.

Took me 50 minutes to get into work this morning when it normally takes 10. Couldint belive the amount of gardai around newrath this morning at 7.30. They were every where. Only two more days to go and its over, thank god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Marcopolo85

odie wrote:

I reckon these councillors have gotten it all wrong with their traffic plans. They are keeping people out of town rather than letting the tourists in.

Waterford has been turned ito a ghetto for this tall ships.

And all I keep hearing about, is the resentment for their traffic plans. I reckon they were thought up in a pub and written on the back of a stamp for all the organisational chaos they are causing.

Creating 3-5 mile tailbacks to get into a provincial town so that a few high falluting councillors can get their pictures in the munster express is a bit much.

Just checked out the Webcams. More gardai than people on the streets. I hope it blows up in the city councils face. Most of my mates can't even get in to work, and those that did, it took over an hour to travel what normally takes 20 mins in rush hour on a bad day.

Some observations here:

1. You're obviously from Kilkenny and have deep-rooted Waterford jealousies and issues.

2. A Provincial Town would be, lets see.........um.....oh yes - Kilkenny!! There's probably a greater population on Waterford's Dunmore Road.

3. The reason for the tailbacks in Ferrybank is that a vast amount of people didn't use the Park and Ride (maybe they have reading difficulties). The Park and Rides on the City side operated without difficulty.

4. Far from being a ghetto - the Tall Ships will serve as a catalyst for Tourism in the oldest CITY in Ireland.

5. The City (not town) is bursting at the seams with Tourists. Of course you wouldn't know that because you're not here.

6. Most of us aren't really pushed about delays on the bridge - it's of no concern to us!

Pleaaaaaassssssseeeeeee give us a break! We're sick of that type of moaning and begrudgery! :p:p:p:p:p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

Ah at least it brings a bit of life to the town , nice to hear the music in work.

odie wrote:

Theres heaps of people in town its great , heard theres a good bit of music on around tonight Brass&Co or something?That may not be there name Im heading down for an hour anyway.
    Jeez whats with all the whining about the tall ships Im not even from Waterford well im living here like but from Kilkenny and I think its great , brings a bit of life to the place , yea the corporation screwed up a little on the permits but theres loads a people around its great!
    Your so wrong saying more guards than people , theres loads a tourists around the place , no need to be so bitchy , its a big thing for the town and seems successful so far , should be good now tomorrow night , heard theres fireworks is there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Sooner or Later

There are a lot more people in the city today than yesterday.

I've been using the Red Park and Ride (IDA Building) coming in to work and it has all been very smooth. Five minutes wait tops to get a bus in and to get one back out. At 5:30 the Cork Road incoming was no busier than it would be on an ordinary day ie tailback from the Ring Road to WIT. All the hassle seems to be centred around the bridge.

On a positive note nice to see most traders have kept their prices at normal levels and avoided the temptation to hike them up. (Mind you the prices at the stalls are pretty steep - hot dogs for 4.50 ! ) . The parade wasn't great but the Indonesian band were excellent, lots of noise and colour.

Only real negative is the bloody helicopters.

Ah the helcopters are great!!
    Id love to have a go around in one , maybe I will at some stage over the weekend , are they taking people up ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭jmcc

OLDYELLAR wrote:
    Ah the helcopters are great!!
    Id love to have a go around in one , maybe I will at some stage over the weekend , are they taking people up ?
    I think so. Celtic helicopters seems to have a small booth selling tickets on the quay. It was weird seeing all the helos though. Living near the hospital, they are not that uncommon but there was at least three flying patterns over the city at different heights.

I walked in from Viewmount and it was weird seeing so few cars on the roads. I even took a photo of the quay with no cars on it.Though in people terms, the place was packed today.

Regards...jmcc

Forget Celtic, €45 for 6mins..

woh thats steep!!Was just down , yea good buzz around the town.

some concert going on about 40 meters from me
    it's playing out at full belt at 10.45 ffs, i was planning on an early night but not a hope of that till he shuts up

grumble grumble grumble

Mossy Monk wrote:
    some concert going on about 40 meters from me
    it's playing out at full belt at 10.45 ffs, i was planning on an early night but not a hope of that till he shuts up

grumble grumble grumble
    ah stop whining would ya , its just for a few days , enjoy the free music!

OLDYELLAR wrote:
    ah stop whining would ya , its just for a few days , enjoy the free music!

normally i would agree with that but i am tired and cranky from the airshow before the music. tomorrow will be better as i dont have to work on Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

I've taken to going into work for 7 instead of 8. Works fine. Father took 2hrs 40 mins to get from New Ross to Kilcohan on Wednesday - that's unacceptable in anyone's language. No Guards at bridge, so KK traffic got right of way. Was supposedly better today. I've been leaving work at 4 and home in NR by 4:50 both days. Wouldn't like to be bringing the kids into town tho - the P&R system just looks cobbled together. What's the point in having bus lanes part of the way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭peepsbates

just in from work n the place is packed, not lookin forward to tomorrow night at all :(

Hey what time tomorrow are the roads back to normal for traffic?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

From 11 am I think. The ships are leaving from about 8 am if anyone can confirm that?

Mike.

Advertisement