Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tall Ships Race - Traffic Plans

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

Bond-007 wrote:
    That would be unconsitutional as there is no law on the books about road pricing or congestion charges. Do you have a round paper disc on your windscreen? Thats payment enough.
    Course i do. Was told people were ringing up the local radio station giving out bout it. Theres no way im paying a fiver everytime i go accross that bridge. Do they not know the price of petrol these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

angry_fox wrote:
    Is it true that people crossing the bridge have to pay a fiver, no matter where they are going?
    I think that relates to the charge for the park and ride buses!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

dougal wrote:
    I think that relates to the charge for the park and ride buses!

Which has now been dropped. Imagine a family of 5 being told they have to cough up 50 quid to get in and out. Sombody saw sense.

On another note I had no problems getting my residents pass and a pass for friends who will be visiting me during the event. They are under alot of pressure in the permits office though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Was in the office today to get clearance for business deliveries. Plenty of ppl in and out on the last day!

Mike

ps I heard that they are going to have the outer ring road open temporarily for the tall ships week. Hope thats true.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

HA HA, most of you are in for a huge shock guys, i dont even think ye can even comprehend how huge the tall ships event is, imagine the biggest festival that you can remember in waterford ever and multiply it by ten and you still wont be even near how big this is. HA HA, and to SCARE ye all more so im a member of a river/harbour security/emergency response team and im in tramore and i cant even get a permit to get into the city, haha, twill be a big conjested mess.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

i know this is gonna be a disaster how am i going to get a pint with so many people in the bars???
    not good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

mayordenis wrote:
    i know this is gonna be a disaster how am i going to get a pint with so many people in the bars???
    not good.

That is a problem alright.. consult your local offie Id say.

Also..Emm.. Im not into boats really.
    Does that make me less of a person? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

i imagine you will be into boats pretty quickly when you see one of these things up close, they are pretty amazing things. Worth all the hassle though? doubt it, dont think is should have gone ahead without the new bridge,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭benny

I was looking forward to seeing the tall ships and im in Clonmel......should I leave my car at home and walk? will I park at the honda(bolands) garage:) :) and walk from there?? help meeeeeeeeee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

Why dont you drive down to carrick, get a boat and sail down the river.......?

There should be plenty of parking around Rockshire Rd, think they have a couple of fields for it. Hope it doesint rain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

sounds like fiddown/portlaw are going to be overrun not to mention slieve rue, it's goign to be feckin rat race central when the trucks start trying to take these routes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭benny

arent you the clever one!ERM .... we dont have a boat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Maharet

I heard from someone there at home that people have to register their car registrations if they want to cross the bridge, that's balls right? That would just cause even further chaos! They probably just getting mixed up about the permits. :)

Maharet wrote:
    I heard from someone there at home that people have to register their car registrations if they want to cross the bridge, that's balls right? That would just cause even further chaos! They probably just getting mixed up about the permits. :)

Anyone can cross the bridge but you need a permit to go in to the cordon area.

They did a good job of the permits as well. I reckoned they would be easily faked but there is a dirty great hologram thing on em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Power That Be have issued a stern warning to anyone with a residents permit who tries to park anywhere near the quays etc, you'll be towed away.
    They'll even have a helicopter acting as a spotter.

Oh yes the Fidown Bridge crossing will be hell I expect, ditto the Passage-Ballyhack ferry (expect very long waiting times).

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    The Power That Be have issued a stern warning to anyone with a residents permit who tries to park anywhere near the quays etc, you'll be towed away.
    They'll even have a helicopter acting as a spotter

Thats all well and good but I live near the quays!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

any chance someone could scan the permits back and front and email them to me? just for a look at them like, hehe, nothing illegal of course!!!!!!!!!

Unless u can print holograms forget it, other then that they are very straight forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Marcopolo85

Trotter wrote:
    It drives me crrrrraaazzyy that so many fellow Waterford people think the solution to all our problems is to ring BILLY MCCARTHY!! He's a DJ!! Why not ring city hall and ask to speak to the person in charge of the mess!

You might not get through but he/she will certainly hear that theres a few unhappy people looking to have a chat!

Hear hear!!!

The guardian of Waterford........on a monopoly local station!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30 cykedout

And what do you do if you live in the suburbs and such (Lismore Park) and want to get into town. You can't drive, so you either walk or take a bus. However, are the normal bus routes free like these "Park and Ride" routes OR do you have to pay? If so, this is a complete crock!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

neon_glows wrote:
    any chance someone could scan the permits back and front and email them to me? just for a look at them like, hehe, nothing illegal of course!!!!!!!!!

Sure, but then you'd have to steal the car its registered to for it to be any good!

People seem to be very wound up about the fact that they won't have the freedom to drive in and out of town for no apparent reason. Isn't it hander to be able to park in a FREE car park all day and get a FREE bus in and around town? I'd certianly prefer than shelling out for parking discs/car park fees all day, not that I'd be able to find a parking space in the first place. And anyone who actually needs access to town with their car can and will get a permit. Well, it's a bit late now, actually :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 JJJonsey

Communication around the traffic 'planning' for this event has been a joke.

The county council only finalised the plans very recently and what communications were sent out were ambiguous.

Why aren't they letting traffic exit abbeylands onto the ferrybank carriageway ffs? There is a meat factory and a funeral home there - the cows will be pleased but i'm not sure about the grieving relatives??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

Just spent an hour down in the corporation queing for a parking permit , my god its nutz down there!

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Eye

anybody know what the security is going to be like at those car parks? i do plan on going down but i don't fancy leaving my bike in a very large car park all day unless their is good security there, would rather park it somewhere around pc world and walk into the city center from there if all comes too all.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Eye wrote:
    anybody know what the security is going to be like at those car parks? i do plan on going down but i don't fancy leaving my bike in a very large car park all day unless their is good security there, would rather park it somewhere around pc world and walk into the city center from there if all comes too all.

When you say bike, I assume you mean a motor bike. Well you will be fine as motorbikes are exempt and do not require a permit. Some guy from city council was on DeiseAM yesterday morning answering questions and this particular question was raised.

Leonard

your sure about that? sounds a bit odd, city centre will be home to all the bikers then for the next few days....sweet :)
    and yes i did mean motor bike and not bicycle :)
    that's handy then saves me alot of walking and worrying :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 JJJonsey

Well I see the knackers (oops I mean travellers) have fixed themselves up a nice prime position on the brewery/waterford side of the bridge - wonder if they'll get towed? :rolleyes:

ha! that'll be fun for the cops alright ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

Finished work at 12 tonight and they were laying down double yellow lines at the ring road by PC World so expect them to be all over the place in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

nice and quiet on the road on the way into work

Advertisement