Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I saw a classic and took a pic thread!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭245

The original design was sound,just the rust issues tarnished their reputation,they were a good driver and had good engines.70s Fiats had much the same problem,good drivers,neat styling and great engines,but cheap steel and bad or non existant rustproofing let them down.

Any alfasud fans/owners on here?

Weren't they built by farmers down south (hence Sud) as some sort of employment creation scheme?

My next door neighbour had several of them - they always sounded great and seemed quite exotic compared with the other mundane makes around back then.

My next door neighbour on the other side had a very nice Lancia saloon (not sure if it was a Fulvia or something bigger) with curtains in the back window. The Alfa had the edge in my eyes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

The Allegro could have looked great...
    allegro_02.jpg

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Hermy wrote: »
    The Allegro could have looked great...
    allegro_02.jpg

The front of that looks like a Peugeot 504.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Max_Damage wrote: »
    Heh, I just never saw the fascination with old Alfa Romeo's in general. They are mediocre looking in my eyes.

The 'Sud I always thought sort of looked like a septic tank on wheels.
    If you drove one, and then drove whatever equivalent horseless carriages BL & the Japanese were offering at the time I guarantee you'd change your mind. The Sud and the Citroen GS were well ahead of their time.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

245 wrote: »
    Weren't they built by farmers down south (hence Sud) as some sort of employment creation scheme?

My next door neighbour had several of them - they always sounded great and seemed quite exotic compared with the other mundane makes around back then.

My next door neighbour on the other side had a very nice Lancia saloon (not sure if it was a Fulvia or something bigger) with curtains in the back window. The Alfa had the edge in my eyes.
    Wish i'd had neighbours like that! If it had curtains it may have been a Flavia/2000 or even a Flaminia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Kevin_Herron

I'd have to agree.
    I own Alfa Romeo and Lancia cars and would have alot of time for them.
    As I have said before all cars of that era will have problems, some worse than others.

I always thought Alfas drove, looked and sounded great!
    And as an owner you tend to overlook the problems they have.
    You dont buy an old car because you heard its reliable!

The Jap stuff was excellent and still is but I never thought any of it was particularly nice looking.

If you drove one, and then drove whatever equivalent horseless carriages BL & the Japanese were offering at the time I guarantee you'd change your mind. The Sud and the Citroen GS were well ahead of their time.

Probably.

When I used to work in the garage, I got to drive various modern Alfa's, everything from a 147 to a Brera. The GT was the best though. Feels very responsive.

Wouldn't mind a Citroen GS Birotor, although they are very hard to come by these days.
    The Jap stuff was excellent and still is but I never thought any of it was particularly nice looking.

I can see the beauty in a Nisan Cherry or a Mazda 323 (especially the early models), hence why I have a Micra K10. I'm probably one of a kind :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

The front of that looks like a Peugeot 504.
    I can see a few cars in it all right but the flared arches look great.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

I can see the beauty in a Nisan Cherry or a Mazda 323 (especially the early models), hence why I have a Micra K10. I'm probably one of a kind :D
    Well,im the guy with the 100A FII,theres definatly very few on this island with others.:p

Hermy wrote: »
    I can see a few cars in it all right but the flared arches look great.

The alloys on it look good too.

There is an interesting video on YouTube about the development of the Allegro:

Part 1:

Part 2:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Any alfasud fans/owners on here?

My Dad used to have a Alfasud 1.5Ti around early 80's until some drunk twit in a milk truck drove into the side of him and wrote the car off (he got out with just a sore arm).
    Anyhow to this day he still says it is his most favorite car he has ever owned.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

VWKarmannZV80912.jpg

VWKarmannZV80911.jpg

Porshe911ZV8683.jpg

3WheelTruck.jpg

What the hell is that 3-wheeler truck? And where did you spot it?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I've no idea what make it is. I was hoping to get an answer here. I suspect that it may have the motorcycle type handlebars inside rather that a steering wheel (like the Indian tut tuts).

I took the pic in Greece on a zoom as any attempt to get any closer was thwarted by an emaciated Alsation on a very long chain! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

It's an Alta A700

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alta_(vehicles)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,065 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ Linky no worky. :D This one does http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alta_(vehicles)

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »
    ^ Linky no worky. :D This one does http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alta_(vehicles)

EDIT: Nevermind!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,065 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Now it does! :) Weird end bracket problem going on?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

Saw these assorted beauties around the country this weekend. The Corsair was in Killarney and last summer I spoke with the owner in Doolin. Nice to see it getting around. The Mustang was in Nassau street and the Ice cream van was in the Phoenix park. It was brought there on a trailer, so probably not actually driving, but nice anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Gaz19

Hi
    Any chance this car still available
    Appreciate update
    Thanks
    G
    okistag wrote: »
    A very good friend of mine is selling this beauty, she is a Rover P5 Coupe 3.5 V8 and is as good as the pictures suggest. Private pm me if you want contact details. He was over at my house and gave her a clean up.
    I dont have one of engine bay, but as good as the rest of the car.

DSC_0080.jpg

DSC_0078b.jpg

DSC_0082.jpg

DSC_0083.jpg

DSC_0084.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭NEVCC

Nice car.. nice to see a P5 with the lower chrome strips. The blue carpet looks well.
    Haven’t finished mine yet. :(
    http://www.nevcc.net/Restoration_projects/RoverP5B.html

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Philush

seen this yesterday, lovely machine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Landyaddict

Couple I came across recently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭245

Gaz19 wrote: »
    Hi
    Appreciate update
    Thanks
    G

Also OKISTAG, any chance of an update on your MGB restoration? - really looking forward to seeing the finished product

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

Philush wrote: »
    seen this yesterday, lovely machine

I remember going into town with my grandfather in his one, when I was about 6 or 7! Lovely example and a great memory!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Tomebagel

Any details on the starlet landyaddict?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Landyaddict

Tomebagel wrote: »
    Any details on the starlet landyaddict?
    All I can tell you is it's near Duncannon in Co.Wexford. I came across it while heading to hook head light house. I have more photos here, I'll check and see if I got the phone number.

Landy

Spotted this Westmeath registered Toyota Starlet yesterday in Castlepollard, Co. Westmeath:

Image002.jpg

And I spotted this '87 Renault 4 LHD in Stillorgan:

Image003.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭mamakevf

Bedford Chevanne spotted in Letterkenny.

BedfordChevanneFront.jpg

BedfordChevanneRear.jpg
    This is my van. The lack of no. plates was due to it being in the process of being rebuilt after respray.
    Very rare now and was told there are only 5 on the roads in England, but funnily I was offered another one today but is still in a shed in England

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭okistag

Gaz19 wrote: »
    Hi
    Appreciate update
    Thanks
    G

hi

I am sorry she did sell, and a large deposit has been taken on nearly full asking price.

Jack

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement