Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US: The Monster

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

In the pilot when they hear the monster first - there is evidence of trees being trampled. I still think the monster is something physical - Danielle was visibly scared and I am sure she would have known if it was just an alarm of some sort.

Interesting point about the rain - I noticed that it only rained around the exploring few, not back on the beach where the boat was being launched.

I like the idea that the island is man made - make a lot of sense and may make it easier to explain some of the mysteries.

Hyzepher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭monomaniac

Hyzepher wrote:
    Interesting point about the rain - I noticed that it only rained around the exploring few, not back on the beach where the boat was being launched.

Hyzepher

Great catch!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Giblet wrote:
    It's Walt. Walt was reading about birds when the bird died. He was reading about the bear when the Bear attacked him. So I think either he has a funny way of warning people, or he causes them to appear.

Sounds like your talking about one of the characters from the movie Sphere

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

digiman wrote:
    When Danielle said it was a
    Security System
    , I couldn't believe Jack didn't persist further in finding out what it was.

You would think he was more concerned about getting back to the beach, I guess the next ep will tell us more :)

After watching the pilot - yet again - on RTE, I am convinced that the 'monster' is metalic. There was a definite metal sound when it was moving etc.

It is definitely tangible and I would say it is motion sensored.

Hyzepher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,798 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Hyzepher wrote:
    ..and I would say it is motion sensored.
    Like a "security system"... that's what Danielle said!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,016 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

On that point regarding the rain, in the pilot it was raining on the beach as well as with Jack, Charlie and your wan were looking for the cockpit, wasn't it?

Another thing struck me about the 'monster' - the doesn't seem to need to 'eat' - no evidence of dead animals or bones etc - leads me more down the road that this thing is mechanical

Hyzepher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

I disagree about the rain. I think its just an effect.
    I think its now painfully clear that the "monster" isnt any sort of animal. It is a security system, probably set up by the others. Judging from the events in Exouds, it seems to be operated from under the island. The sounds are either sound effects used on purpose to scare people, or the sound of gears and chains moving that operate the traps etc.

That all makes sense, but not when you factor in the black smoke. I've no idea what that is, its probably not even smoke. It doesnt move like smoke or a swarm of insects.

Thought some of ye might be interested in this...
    It's the 2 views we get of the monster in the finale slowed down significantly. Clip 2 is definantly the better shot!

Clip 1 (1.2MB WMV - 8 seconds)
    Clip 2 (1MB WMV - 6 seconds)

I've heard suggestions of it looking like a swarm of some sort of flies / bugs. But i think it's clearly some black smoke.. but i'm very interested in the way it moves... very creepily!

If they can come up with a valid explanation for this cloud monster.. i'd be eternally hooked! (not that i'm not already.. :D)

EDIT: Found this on the Web... done by a person who runs a dedicated Lost community (get the promo's off there every week). And she reckons:
    Right, okay. Noticed something while watching the tape. And then noticed something else from messing with the screen captures...

lostsmoke1a.jpg

While pausing my tape and trying to figure out why the smoke was in certain shapes I noticed that they kind of looked like demon-ish heads. Don't know if you can see. But after looking closer....

lostsmoke1b.jpg

There are photos within the clouds of smoke or what have you. The one to the left looks like a man and a baby. Who really knows though.

This is extremely fascinating to me. EXTREMELY.
    Not too sure about the faces thing.... i can definantly see something but doubtful it's anything too meaningful to be honest! Original post here!

EDIT 2: Actually, the scene from the screencap above was not in either of my original videos as in Clip 2, i got "the monster's" escape after the explosion whereas this screencap show it's directly as the explosion happens.

Below is a link to a short video of this reputed scene with the supposed image of a man and chid.

I did notice something however! It seems that just after the explosion, the area in which apparently shows these faces is very accented / focused on! It's almost like the area around the "images" are grey, but the rest of the "cloud" is black...

You'll see what i mean when you watch the scene focusing on those areas.

Anyways, watch a slowed down somewhat brighter version here (1.2MB WMV - 9 seconds)

• Advertisement

An enhanced look at that screenshot:

enhanceeyes7aj.jpg

Also found this on another site.. mate of mine has my Lost episodes so can't check it. Can someone look at the pilot again and confirm it this has any grounds. It seems definantly enhanced but try going through it frame by frame:

lostturbineenhanced.gif

Looks pretty fake but interesting to know nonetheless!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

very interesting, must look at some of my old episodes to check that out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

That shadow is definatley in the pilot, just checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Didnt people do this with the hatch?? When it lit up people started editing it and could make a face out,I wouldnt trust a lot of that stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

I can confirm that this
    lostturbineenhanced.gif
    is most certainly what happens as I've just watched it in slow motion on my copy of it...

You can also see the black thing flying towards the engine as Locke is walking past it... interesting that it made one pass, missed when Locke was there and then blew it up when Locke was at a safe distance...

steveland? wrote:
    You can also see the black thing flying towards the engine as Locke is walking past it... interesting that it made one pass, missed when Locke was there and then blew it up when Locke was at a safe distance...
    I thought the person sucked into the engine might be the cause of the explosion :confused:

This new development is very interesting actually!

Especially considering the smoke type effect has been mainly what we've seen of the monster recently.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'm sure I'm not the only one who sees
    BOOBIES!
    in that enhanced screenshot.

I have no idea what you people are talking about with that still from the pilot. What am I supposed to be seeing there?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who sees
    BOOBIES!
    in that enhanced screenshot.

I have no idea what you people are talking about with that still from the pilot. What am I supposed to be seeing there?
    I have no idea what you mean....... ( o ) ( o ).... whoops, typo! :D

Watch the area around the jet engine before it explodes... a grey shadow swoops down above it and then up into the sky past it as it explodes, like it caused the explosion.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I have to say I'm with Ciaran500 on this one - the heavy-set bloke being sucked into the engine caused the explosion as far as I'm concerned.

• Advertisement

I have to say I'm with Ciaran500 on this one - the heavy-set bloke being sucked into the engine caused the explosion as far as I'm concerned.
    What about stevelands point...
    steveland? wrote:
    You can't just dismiss it though! It is an interesting little incident we missed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

daveirl wrote:
    This post has been deleted.
    It's only in frame for a fraction of a second but it's definitly there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

/me offtopic
    just wanted to say I only start watching this there last week, and I love it so far, just wondering how is there a load of people here who have seen all of it and are miles ahead.

I'm watchin it on rte, and reading this forum I feel so behind! :p

AlcoholicA wrote:
    /me offtopic
    just wanted to say I only start watching this there last week, and I love it so far, just wondering how is there a load of people here who have seen all of it and are miles ahead.

I'm watchin it on rte, and reading this forum I feel so behind! :p
    If you only started watching it, AlcoholicA...

... please don't read any threads with "US:" in the title! You'll just ruin future episodes for yourself!

Regarding how we've seen the entire series.... we have our ways! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

basquille wrote:
    If you only started watching it, AlcoholicA...

... please don't read any threads with "US:" in the title! You'll just ruin future episodes for yourself!

Regarding how we've seen the entire series.... we have our ways! ;)

aha im grand, regarding spoiling stuff, im very slow and very forgetful so it wont ruin anything.

BTW I take it then that this isnt a one series thing, theres another scheduled?

apparently they've got material for 6 or so series

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

We have magical cousins who manage to send us tapes every week :D

as for the shadow thing,I dont buy it as important...when you slow things down,you can start to make anything up,could just be an editing mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

Come on guys, wake up. That thing that goes past the jet when it blows up is just burned, charred debris. Watch before it, its flying all around the place. The guy who got sucked into the fan blew it up.

As for the black smoke in the finale, I've yet to see a good picture of it moving around. All I've seen so far is the smoke that comes out when Jack throws the dynamite down the hole, and that definitley has to be real normal smoke, probably fron the dynamite itself.

Anyone got a picture of what grabs onto Lockes leg? You can see a big black thing, it does look like smoke, or a big thick black rope, I cant make it out.

I know the black smoke moves in an odd way, like its alive. But it does look like just regular black smoke. The way it moves is probably due to a ventalation system or something like that on the Island.

• Advertisement

IIRC the faces in the smoke are only there for one frame. So unless wou watch it frame by frame you will miss it.

Advertisement