Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US: The Monster

Options
  • 15-05-2005 7:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any ideas on the monster? It was what grabbed me the most and probably why I first started watching the show.

I used to think that it wasnt real because of all the similarities to the Lord of the Flies, and it only comes around when someones facing their fears, but the polar bears convinced me otherwise that it might just be real. With the polar bears it was like saying "There is something real out there!", if a polar bear is on the island, got knows what else is. Also Rosseau said "Lets hope its just a polar bear", and its hard to get a natural animal thats more dangerous than a polar bear. But I remember her saying something else along the lines of "No its not a monster", or something like that. Another thing that kind of says its not a real monster Locke, hes seen it. If it was a T-Rex(I'll admit thats unlikely) or something, Locke would be the type of guy to tell everyone to take precautions etc. So now thinking about it, 70% of me is against the theory that its an actual monster.

But if any show would convince us that the monster is just some fear induced hallucination, and then have a big 30ft mutant lizard come out of nowhere and kill a bunch of people, its Lost.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

I doubt it's gonna be like a dinosaur or a giant lizard or something...

Notice it hasn't shown up since Locke saw it...

Apparently Terry O'Quinn was told to react like it was the most beautiful thing he's ever seen...

Hopefully the season finale will clear some things up, but I don't want them to reveal everything (otherwise there'd be no point talking about it :))

• Registered Users Posts: 43,802 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I somewhat forgot about the whole "Monster" side of 'Lost' until Shannon was killed by it.. presumably that was the "monster" in Boone's hallucination!

However.. this was just a hallucination which showed the monster as a dinosaur type creature which grabbed Shannon from above! Which is why i think the "monster" will be something that the writer's really need to think about before springing it on us!

I don't think they can take the whole ludicrious "it's all a hallucination" angle about the monster, but then again i'd prefer that to the "massive T-Rex type monster" angle!

Hmmm... the monster is certainly one part of the Island i'd like to see more answers but according to Damon Lindedof in 'Enterainment Weekly':
    The season finale focuses on the opening of the hatch. You'll see at least 2 percent of the monster -- potentially 5 percent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

basquille wrote:
    I don't think they can take the whole ludicrious "it's all a hallucination" angle about the monster, but then again i'd prefer that to the "massive T-Rex type monster" angle!

I really get the feeling that Lost is the type of show to have a real monster. Yeah the monster has a lot to do with peoples fears, but wouldnt you be afraid if you were on an island with a monster?

What we think is the monsters doing probably isnt. Like the pilot, or the trees moving.

Also does anyone remember the stuff said about the monster in the pilot? I rememebr it was something like two extras talking saying "I've heard that noise before".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Locke

The monster is a giant sea creature /bird, I have found some pics that were leaked from the show and it looks great

Locke wrote:
    The monster is a giant sea creature /bird, I have found some pics that were leaked from the show and it looks great
    :D ... seriously?!

Post them up here!

• Advertisement

Look at the promo for next wednesdays episode, you have to be quick but when the voice over says "next wednesday", just then the lost logo appears, if you slow it down you see a set of wings..I m being serious. here is a screenshot of it, but if you can download the promo it's better

http://www.forgewebdev.com/ep23promoEDIT.mpg

Locke wrote:
    ..when the voice over says "next wednesday", just then the lost logo appears, if you slow it down you see a set of wings..
    You didn't attach a screenshot... can't see anythign resembling wings in that intro to the promo to be honest!

Unless you mean this (attached) which is just part of the graphics. And are used in every promo!

Think you may be over-analysing it a tad! :D

Yeah that's the one the out like looks like a giant bird, look again

Err... I can't see it :)

I can see a couple of little lines but that's it...

As basquille (I think it was) posted up there earlier we'll see 2% (possibly 5%) of the monster in the final episode

If the hallucination Boone had where Shannon was killed then the giant bird/sea creature thing makes sense, but then again that was just a hallucination...

Like i said, "the monster" in that is a recurring graphic used in promos... a couple of squiggly lines doesn't make it a monster...

• Advertisement

Guess you all could be correct sure we will have to wait and see, but when shannon got attacked in Metros dream,it looked it was flying creature that was chasing Shannon and don't forget when locked saw it for the first time it looked like it was either (A) Hovering above him (B) a very tall creature!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I don't think a bird - or other flying creature - is likely. The creature as seen in the series so far has been dipicted as 'walking' through the jungle knocking down trees. If it had the ability to fly I think the survivors would have seen it by now.

Hyzepher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The biggest question I can think of regarding the monster is why did it not eat Locke? If it were a T-Rex, then Locke may have known that a T-Rex's vision is, like a hooker's ;) , based on movement and just stood still so it would walk by. The smile on his face could have been because he really thinks the island won't hurt him if he believes in it's power, or something like that.

Anyway, I think it would ruin the potential atmosphere of the second season if they give away what the monster is in this season, but just a little hint would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dr strangelove

I want to know why the monster didn't actually eat the pilot bloke? (in one of the early episodes), i just seemed to grab him out of the cockpit, wander off and leave him in a tree. I mean, he wasn't even that badly mangled.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭digiman

What do you mean when you say we will see 2-5% of the monster? Do you mean why might see its foot or eye or some other part of its body?

I don't think the monster is a part of their imagination as how was the pilot killed? Because this was seen by 3 people Jack, Charlie and Kate. It has to be something really big or can fly.

Hadn't seen dr strangelove post when I wrote mine. Strange we were thinking almost the same thing.

digiman wrote:
    What do you mean when you say we will see 2-5% of the monster? Do you mean why might see its foot or eye or some other part of its body?
    I'm afraid i can't answer that.. i didn't say it! Damon Lindedof did.. but i read elsewhere that Ian Somerhalder (Boone) said in an interview that we will see a certain amount of "the monster" in the season finale.
    I want to know why the monster didn't actually eat the pilot bloke? .. I mean, he wasn't even that badly mangled.
    Wasn't even that badly mangled?...

Looks pretty damn mangled to me!! :rolleyes:

He had to be somewhat recognisable to the viewer!
    jor el wrote:
    Anyway, I think it would ruin the potential atmosphere of the second season if they give away what the monster is in this season, but just a little hint would be nice.
    My sentiments exactly!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

It's Walt. Walt was reading about birds when the bird died. He was reading about the bear when the Bear attacked him. So I think either he has a funny way of warning people, or he causes them to appear.

Giblet wrote:
    It's Walt. Walt was reading about birds when the bird died. He was reading about the bear when the Bear attacked him. So I think either he has a funny way of warning people, or he causes them to appear.
    Giblet.. just a warning to be careful on exploring threads with 'US:' at the beginning of the topic. This means we will be discussing episodes up as far as the one last aired in the US.

Regarding Walt "generating" the monster.. it's a conceivable theory but i'd really doubt it!

I've seen them all. :)

• Advertisement

Giblet wrote:
    I've seen them all. :)
    Ahhh right... apologies!

I assumed you only saw up until Michael's episode 'Special' with that comment!

You enjoy them?!

Yeah it's pretty good. I hate Kates storyline though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I think Kates storyline is going to be pivotable for the series. The writers are making it vague for a reason - her story has by far the most ambiguity to it

Hyzepher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

basquille wrote:
    Like i said, "the monster" in that is a recurring graphic used in promos... a couple of squiggly lines doesn't make it a monster...

Yep. Locke's promo link was a 'brightened' version of the promo I saw last week - I think what you're looking at, Locke, is a shot of LEAVES on a tree in the jungle, and as Basquille says, these are on most of the ABC promos. I don't think it's any suggestion of a monster.

As for the 2-5%, I reckon we will get to see an eye. It would fit in with the directorial focus on eyes in earlier episodes, and may look quite spooky/neat to boot.

I still think the monster is only appearing at times of heightened fear, conflict and anxiety among the group. And Walt - not alone do I think he's responsible/connect to the monster, but I think he caused the crash as well (by looking at the graphic sheet showing what to do in the event of a crash.)

We're told there will be a special, unique view of the crash on the DVD - I'm hoping for something like this, though I have seen suggested elsewhere that we may also at some point get to see
    the crash from Vincent (the dog's) perspective...

I'm already planning to watch tonight's new episode, "Exodus, Part I", after midnight (Thursday) tomorrow, just to ensure I get properly spooked. Never the same watching during the day if you want a good fright. Can't wait.

We haven't seen the monster since Locke's encounter have we

(well... it hasn't shown up)

I think Locke seeing "The monster" as beautiful and his references to the island as some sort of entity suggests that the monster is viewed differently by different people. Maybe it's not a monster at all depending on who you are.

Giblet wrote:
    I think Locke seeing "The monster" as beautiful and his references to the island as some sort of entity suggests that the monster is viewed differently by different people. Maybe it's not a monster at all depending on who you are.
    Excellent point, Giblet!

Quite possibly... but then again, Locke is the only one to have actually "seen" the monster (as far as we know) except for Boone in his hallucination.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

A huge carniverous plant, methinks.

I have a feeling that everyone one of us is going to be completely shocked and completely wrong in our assumptions as to what it might be, when the monster is reaveled, thats if it is reaveled this season. I think it will be something that none of us have even thought of.

When Danielle said it was a
    Security System
    , I couldn't believe Jack didn't persist further in finding out what it was.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭monomaniac

Spoilers for exodus part 1 below:

I think there's something below the entire island - notice in the last ep how you never see any disturbance of trees etc - just noise. Perhaps the noises are pressure pads setting off traps from above. That would explain why Locke and Hurley were safe standing still (as Locke also did in Walkabout).

And they only seem to encounter this "monster" when they are exploring the island - perhaps accidently wondering into the dark territory triggers it?

Interesting that when Locke notes that it is heading the other way the rain stops.

One other interesting point was that Danielle got Jack, kate and Artz to hide in the same type of tree that Boone and Shannon hid in. And when it was safe to come out the sun came out (just like Hearts and Minds).

The "monster" may well br related to the weather. Making me think that the whole island is man-made.
    There's rumors that in Exodus 2/3 we'll find out that Lostzilla was responsible for ripping the plane in half.
    If true this will only seek to baffle further.

Advertisement