Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ballybunion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Pics from around town ....

New frontage on the Golf Hotel ....

5NbfpJRs.jpg

New access to the vacant lot opposite McMunns (old Castle Hotel site?), as there will be a picnic / beer-garden area, and the cleaned up walls around it....

8LWmbI6s.jpg

fRoZ5gxs.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

Thanks for the pics, Ryder.

I was in Ballybunion for a week last November and I came back home with almost no photos or videos. I'm still wondering to myself, "What was I doing for that entire week?"

What are they selling at the Maple Moose?

What are they selling at the Maple Moose?

That was an American franchise selling waffles, crepes, and ice-cream (as well as tea & coffee!) . Was a great little place, as we dont have many tea-rooms in Ballyb. Its closed during renovations ..... hope it opens up when all is finished!

Wild Atlantic Ballybunion Seaweed Festival - June 5 - 7

The Ballybunion Wild Atlantic Seaweed Weekend celebrates everything good about seaweed...from seaweed in cookery and in healthy living to seaweed in beauty products and in the age-old tradition of our famous seaweed baths. The festival opens Friday evening with a wine reception hosted by celebrity chef, Clodagh McKenna. Following the reception, tickets will be available to watch Clodagh demonstrate recipes featuring seaweed and seafood combinations to delight your palate. Over the next two days, a fantastic selection of seaweed enhanced tasting menus will be available in the town's many restaurants. On Saturday and Sunday a wide programme of activities featuring seaweed will keep you entertained from morning 'til night. Participants, young and old, will choose from events like bathing in traditional salt water/seaweed baths, foraging for seaweed from Black Rocks, watching seaweed and seafood cookery demonstrations, attending discussion groups about seaweed health and beauty products, joining seminars about other healthy gifts from the sea, investigating tide pools on guided tours, taking boat trips and learning about the unique Shannon Dolphin that live off the shores. Also scheduled will be a jazz brunch and cooking demonstration with lunch highlighting seaweed as an ingredient. These events will feature well known experts such as Dr. Prannie Rhatigan, Dr. Neil Maher, John Thornton, Sean Loughran, Paul Mullins, Dr. Henry Lyons, Evan Talty, Tony Kenneally and Danny Houlihan. The weekend is sure to be a hit for all, so plan to attend

That was an American franchise selling waffles, crepes, and ice-cream (as well as tea & coffee!) . Was a great little place, as we dont have many tea-rooms in Ballyb. Its closed during renovations ..... hope it opens up when all is finished!

And I missed that in November, too! What in the name of Christ was I doing that week? ermthink.gif

• Advertisement

ROCKS SET ON FIRE BY SEA

It was St. Patrick's Day, and every man in Casey's place wore a bit of shamrock in his buttonhole. All the talk was of Ireland, its marvelous happenings, and Casey said to a Texan – “The sea setting fire to tall cliffs – you wouldn't believe that possible, I suppose?”

“Assuredly not,” returned the Texan. “Neither in Ireland nor elsewhere.”

“By those words,” said Casey, smelling his shamrock tenderly, “you prove your ignorance of Ireland, sir, and show you have never been to Ballybunion. The tall cliffs of Ballybunion wade knee-deep in the rough Atlantic. They are the bulwarks of Erin's west coast, and since the world's beginning the wild Atlantic surges, breaking against them, have eaten them out in caves and hollows. These cliffs of Ballybunion contain in their depths masses of iron pyrites and alum. Now and then the salt sea water eats into these masses and oxidation at once takes place, and flames burst forth, and the rocks crack and melt in the great heat. Once the cliffs of Ballybunion burnt for weeks. Like a volcano, they sent up yellow flame and black, foul-smelling, bitter smoke, and the Irish came from hundreds of miles to see that wonderful sight. Only in Ireland, only in Ballybunion, sir,” said Casey, fingering his shamrock, “may you see the cliffs set afire by the salt sea they are knee-deep in.”

CaseyBallybunionrocksfireExaminner24May1906Tas.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 50 what the heck

Has anyone seen the inside of the recently reopened Golf Hotel? Any photos?

Ballybunion finds its way to imgur today.

http://imgur.com/gallery/Bxhfz8f?third_party=1

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭UpTheAshes

Has anyone seen the inside of the recently reopened Golf Hotel? Any photos?

Haven't been inside but the work on the new facade of the Golf Hotel has been at a standstill for weeks now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭cute geoge

UpTheAshes wrote: »
    Haven't been inside but the work on the new facade of the Golf Hotel has been at a standstill for weeks now.

Heard the council pulled the pin on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,701 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

cute geoge wrote: »
    Heard the council pulled the pin on it

Apparently there's a thing called planning permission:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fudge74

Hi
    Looking for a property to rent in Ballybunion for the Easter weekend if anybody has any recommendations please I would really appreciate it. Not up near the Golf Club though.....too far for Mam to walk.
    Thanks a million

I say last one out turn off the lights

Well, the Listowel races are over .... so thats the end of the year (officially). Ballyb was jumpin' for the whole event. Great to see life & craic around. Sorry I didnt get any pics (but they just would have been of packed pubs and fellas in suits & wellies on the street reading the racing post). The pic above says its all ..... thx Snow!

I did hear that the Ocean Bar has a stock-exchange price system for its drinks (maybe not everynight), and drinks start at a certian price, and then they go down in price if noone is buying that particular drink, and they go up if people are buying it! I bet they sell a lot of wierd drinks for next to nothing at the end of the night!

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Wamble

The Golf Course (old course) is getting a serious make over

UJQaQT8h.jpg

mg7yFruh.jpg

eiqhdAlh.jpg

m1Zg82mh.jpg

This pic shows the grass being taken from the driving range. They grew the grass here for the re-grassing project. I believe they used a special grass type more suited to Links courses. It looked a different colour green when it was growing all right!

J6j0hs1h.jpg

The nice cottage at the top of the Ladies Beach (in front of the kids play park, and down a bit from Spraymount Rd) is being knocked down. It was for sale for a while. Hope a nice place is going up instead!

Smipll3h.jpg

Storm Abigale has hit us ..... A-Big-Gale , geddit? lol

So decent seas around, and not much damage as far as I can see (one tree down on my road). Weird thing is the cold! We had it very mild here up to yeaterday, or day before. But with this storm the temp has dropped to about 7 c, with showers of hailstones!!

0s0OevCh.jpg

The nice cottage at the top of the Ladies Beach (in front of the kids play park, and down a bit from Spraymount Rd) is being knocked down. It was for sale for a while. Hope a nice place is going up instead!

The play park across the street from Horgan's?

• Advertisement

The play park across the street from Horgan's?

Yup, thats the one. There are 3 cottages there, and looks like one is sold and being razed.

Horgans is still there. But Hanrahans (the restaurant beside it) has had a change of hands, and is now called Daroka (its still a restaurant). I will let you know what the grub is like after I eat there.

Yup, thats the one. There are 3 cottages there, and looks like one is sold and being razed.

Horgans is still there. But Hanrahans (the restaurant beside it) has had a change of hands, and is now called Daroka (its still a restaurant). I will let you know what the grub is like after I eat there.

I tried looking down there but Street View said, "Nope! Uh-uh! No way! Maybe some other time."

Any update on the interesting public meeting about the future plans for the local hotel anyone?

That meeting was called off after the Golf Hotel put up a post on facebook, explaining that they were not taking in refugees / asylum seekers, and that its all a big misunderstanding as several 'vacant' premises were approached to see if it was possible to house refugees / asylum seekers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Think the Golf Hotel needs to hire a proofreader, having a (badly written)rant on facebook isn't the best for publicity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Tychoo

If this those turn out to be true. It will finish Ballybunion as a holiday resort.
    The prospect of 185 AS's hanging around the town as the hotel is dead centre of the town is very very off putting.
    I'd think twice about going out there now. I've heard talk that parents may take there kids of the schools because of the reported high numbers of A S's

Yup, saw on Facebook that 180+ asylum seekers (all male, no families....) are coming to town today. The golf hotel (aka Goof Hotel as it calls itself in FB posts) says they were asked to provide meals for the AS, and they are def not staying there. Wonder where they are staying? Will the Goof Hotel be revealed as liars afterall ..... watch this space (or watch FB!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Heard they'll be accommodated in the Ocean Suites.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Irishkid

Smipll3h.jpg
    I am pretty sure its going to be a nice place :) If you have any more photos of the works please post them.

• Advertisement

Irishkid wrote: »
    I am pretty sure its going to be a nice place :) If you have any more photos of the works please post them.

Will do Irishkid. At the moment they are just taking down the old cottage. Will put up pics as it starts to take shape.

Weather here has been crap. First we had storm Abigail, then Barney, and Clodagh has just finished. A few tress down, broken fences, and bins scattered about, but no real damage. Thankfully the seas have not been high, so no coastal damage (AFAIK).

Advertisement