Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ballybunion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 drmccoy

Your either Marty or Michael

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

drmccoy wrote: »
    Your either Marty or Michael

Are you the real McCoy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

Do the parentheses around N69 mean "There's a connection to the N69 up this way"?

And if there were no parentheses that would mean "You are on the N69"?

parentheses2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Do the parentheses around N69 mean "There's a connection to the N69 up this way"?

And if there were no parentheses that would mean "You are on the N69"?

Yes, to both.

How goes it Snow? long time no speak. Its been quiet here for a while. Maybe the good weather here in Ballyb will make a few more posts .... lots of sunny beaches and hot sidewalks ;-)

How's Rider? Everything's fairly quiet here in the Bronx, too.

I had it in my head to come over for the half-marathon and while training for it last November, I managed to injure my knee. (Same knee, different injury that kept me out of the half-marathon last year.) It was healing slowly and impatience got the better of me and tried running on it early February and re-injured it. (I tell you, if I had a human brain I'd be truly dangerous.)

So no half-marathon for me again this year. That was bad enough, but when I got an email from the race organizers saying this year, the 10K finishers will also be getting medals...well, the moderators would ban me if I told you exactly what I was thinking and saying for the following week.

So now I'm toying with the idea of headed over there around October or so. I was looking at the air fares at Aer Lingus last night. It's a puzzle how they come up with those numbers. One flight, leaving JFK on a Thursday, cost $379. The very next day - 24 hours later - the cost of a ticket? $1588!

Every 2-3 weeks or so I check YouTube for new Ballybunion videos (as if I don't miss the place enough as it is.) Anyway, there's a new one just posted.

• Advertisement

hey Snow, are you on Facebook? There are a few good Ballyb fan sites there ... all the pubs, the theatre, leisure centre, sea rescue, etc

might be another place for you to get your fix of champagne air ;-)

ps that video is excellent ... i am going to post a link to it from my facebook page!

Me on Facebook?! :eek:

Most of the time I have the attention span of a ferret drinking quadruple-espressos. If I had a Facebook account it would be collecting dust less than a week after I opened it!

But since Ballyb is there I'll take a look around.

In the meanwhile, here's a little bit of Ballybunion trivia: Ever wonder where exactly is the opposite side of the world from Ballybunion?

oppositesideoftheworldf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Minister B

Hi all,

I'm heading down to Ballybunion with some friends this weekend for the half-marathon & I was wondering what the interest is in this years race? All the local people out supporting & volunteering last year made it a great race.

Hopefully the weather holds up!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Price of a Pint

Hi BB folks,
    The link to the camera at the ladies beach is not working anymore.
    is there a alternate address?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Ballyb Rescue

Hi BB folks,
    The link to the camera at the ladies beach is not working anymore.
    is there a alternate address?

Hi there,

The live video feed is from our (Ballybunion Sea & Cliff Rescue Service) web camera on the front of our rescue centre.

We have removed public access as it was never intended to be for public viewing and the log in details should never have been made public.

The plan for the web camera is for it to be linked to our website once we have money to build such a site fully. At present the camera is only for crew, helmsmen and launching authority for viewing sea conditions daily.

Kind Regards

Omar Fitzell
    Public Relations Officer
    BSCR
    ballybunionrescue@gmail.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Price of a Pint

Hi there,

The live video feed is from our (Ballybunion Sea & Cliff Rescue Service) web camera on the front of our rescue centre.

We have removed public access as it was never intended to be for public viewing and the log in details should never have been made public.

The plan for the web camera is for it to be linked to our website once we have money to build such a site fully. At present the camera is only for crew, helmsmen and launching authority for viewing sea conditions daily.

Kind Regards

Omar Fitzell
    Public Relations Officer
    BSCR
    ballybunionrescue@gmail.com

With all due respect to BBSR and their service, it was nice to see the beach on line.
    I know that I am replying from NY, but I know quite a few people from Listowel and local areas who would have a peek to see what the weather was like in BB, before taking a drive to the seaside.
    Every visitor to BB is potential revenue for the town. Buying an ice cream, cup of tea,lunch maybe?
    Maybe you should rethink your position on the camera access.
    Kind regards
    Price of a Pint

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ladybird2010

With all due respect to BBSR and their service, it was nice to see the beach on line.
    I know that I am replying from NY, but I know quite a few people from Listowel and local areas who would have a peek to see what the weather was like in BB, before taking a drive to the seaside.
    Every visitor to BB is potential revenue for the town. Buying an ice cream, cup of tea,lunch maybe?
    Maybe you should rethink your position on the camera access.
    Kind regards
    Price of a Pint

i think the whole point of public access being blocked from the web camera link was because the units members were unable to access it when they needed to. e.g to check sea conditions daily etc.

Which really defeated the propose of the web camera for the unit. If they own members couldnt access it. Anyway why doesnt the tourist board in ballybunion set up a web camera link themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Public access webcams seem to be a bit thin on the ground when comparing Ireland with the rest of the world, which is a pity.

i think the whole point of public access being blocked from the web camera link was because the units members were unable to access it when they needed to. e.g to check sea conditions daily etc.

Which really defeated the propose of the web camera for the unit. If they own members couldnt access it. Anyway why doesnt the tourist board in ballybunion set up a web camera link themselves?

this is exactly the point LadyB. Unfortunatly, when the camera was set up, it wasnt ideal. It doesnt work with Internet Exp 8, or Firefox, and there is a limit to the number of folk that can view it at any one time (i think it was 6 or 8 ... quite low). But the BSCR are a voluntary service, funded by donations only (no state support) so when we were offered a camera, we didnt look a gift horse in the mouth.

As Omar says, there are strong plans to have a BSCR website up this year, and to have a public access camera on the building . It really is a great assest, and I know folk miss it. Please bear with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 0utcast

Anybody know anything about a sea mine off the cliffs of Ballybunion?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭searescue

They thought there was one in Banna two weeks ago - object looked like a sea mine and the local rescue were called....not a mine though.

Congrats to everyone that did the Run Ballybunion 10k and Half Marathon at the weekend. I wasnt there myself (family emergency) but I heard it was a cracking day weather wise, and hundreds turned up for the run. I bet there was some sore legs & sunbrun the following day.

Big congrats to James Doran & George Waugh who were joint 1st place in the Half Marathon. This is James' 2nd time in first place for this race!

see www.runballybunion.com for all results and photos for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭NoseyMike2010

Anyone local part of this ... www.eurobilltracker.com or interested in joining.

Just wondering! :rolleyes:

The Ballybunion Thread is 6 years old today!

hapbrth.gif

169,169 views -- not bad for a town of about 1300.

Construction of the new primary school, on Church road (to the right of the church) , is well on the way ....

p5121575.jpg

• Advertisement

...and an arty shot from inside the graveyard at the back of the church ....

p5121577.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

In Kerrys Eye today,Rubberbandits are hitting Ballybunion on june 4th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Frank165

The sea mine washed up in Ballybunion on the 2nd of May 1943, but don't know anything else about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Ms. Rumpole

Hi all,
    I was recently in Ballinskelligs and we visited the site of the old Waterville Beach Hotel which is now derelict. Am completely fascinated by the place, even more so because i cant find anything on the net about what happened to it. Do any of you know anything? Would be very much appreciated.

Ballinskelligs is a long way from Ballyb! Sorry, I havnt a clue about that hotel. Maybe post a new thread in the Kerry section asking about it. But you might get lucky here, some of the Ballyb folk have been known to travel miles for a good hotel! ;-) best of luck !!

...been quiet here lately ....

here is a little something to keep folk thinking of Ballyb.... its issue 16 of the weekly online newsletter

http://www.ballybunionnews.com/Issue%2016%20June%2017th.pdf

Its a free newsletter, sent to your email address (when you register) every friday.

enjoy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ladybird2010

Are Jedward coming to Ballybunion, if so when and where?

Where I get tickets?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭kesey

Where I get tickets?
    I could cope with The Plattermen, The Cadets, Roly Daniels, even Joe Dolan, but Jedward! Bring back Horan's and let's have a good night out:-)

Where I get tickets?

Jedward are here on Aug 14th , as part of the Atlantic Sessions.
    For tickets call DestinationBallybunion.ie at 068 27111

• Advertisement

Here is the link to Ballybunion newsletter number 17 : http://www.ballybunionnews.com/Issue%2017%20June%2024th.pdf

It was a small bit delayed this week, as Ger was assulted earlier in the week while trying to stop some vandals wrecking the new Tidy Towns boat-monument-flowerbed . Get well soon Ger , keep up the good work !

Advertisement