Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ballybunion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭AnBealBocht

Yes, I just found out yesterday on Facebook.

The Coastal Rocks concert is on Fri 25th & Sat 26th June, and will feature the Coronas and Hothouse Flowers.

really looking forward to it (again)! It was great last year !!

Hope this went well & was well atended.

AND, just made reservations for my annual trip ' home ': Late July to mid-August.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Hope this went well & was well atended.

AND, just made reservations for my annual trip ' home ': Late July to mid-August.

It went very well. The Coronas were great ..... and the Hot House Flowers were as good as ever. There was a good crowd (maybe not as many as lat year, but a few thousand all the same) .... weather was a bit poor, there were showers on Fri & Sat evening, even though it was fab all day! tough break, eh? There was some trouble on Fri with equipment for the Coronas, and there was a couple of long pauses between songs. But THHF stayed on in town after the gig and had a few drinks with the locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Liveit

went to monday night madness the last night.. all the coverage it got from the papers and radio has really dented it, it closed at half one, and thats an early half one at that!
    There was a good enough crowd there but if it keeps closing at that time id say everyone will give it a miss

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

No harm, its just packed full of scumbags now. Not as good as it was previous years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Liveit wrote: »
    went to monday night madness the last night.. all the coverage it got from the papers and radio has really dented it, it closed at half one, and thats an early half one at that!
    There was a good enough crowd there but if it keeps closing at that time id say everyone will give it a miss
    And hopefully everyone else will give it a miss so on Mondays the town isn't packed full of utter scumbags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Surfsmurf

People of Ballybunion rise up and reclaim Monday Night :D:D:D

It's not even about reclaiming Monday Night.

The only people making money off the Madness are the local pubs/clubs. They employ very few people, and those they do are all close to minimum wage anyway.

I've already seen the amount of tourists coming to ballybunnion to stay drop, and compared to how busy the caravan parks used to be - I'd say it's dropped by a lot.

The only future Ballyb has is as a family tourist destination, trying to market it as a one night a week party destination will ultimately be self destructive for the town as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭kesey

Tragedy wrote: »
    The only people making money off the Madness are the local pubs/clubs. They employ very few people, and those they do are all close to minimum wage anyway.

Ireland has the second highest minimum wage after Luxembourg. What do you want to do, jack the minimum wage even higher, and totally shut the country down?

Maybe an Irish solution to an Irish problem would bring a bit of sense to the question. Have a really low double yellow line minimum wage and a higher single yellow line minimum wage. Then put everyone one cent above the single yellow line wage, and it could be said all employees are paid way about the minimum wage.

NEWS JUST IN ..... Monday Night Madness is cancelled!

kesey wrote: »
    Ireland has the second highest minimum wage after Luxembourg. What do you want to do, jack the minimum wage even higher, and totally shut the country down?
    Eh?
    A jobs quality and worth to the local economy is measured by how much it pays. I'm fully aware that the irish minimum wage is quite high, but that's got nothing to do with Monday Night Madness deterring local tourism, hurting the local economy outside the vintners and causing a nightmare for most locals.

Every tuesday I pass through the main street I see another window smashed. And it's never the pubs.
    I see the mess and the vomit everywhere. I dont see the pubs cleaning it up.
    I see less families around, because lets face it, who could recommend ballyb if they've experienced the madness?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭TargetWidow

NEWS JUST IN ..... Monday Night Madness is cancelled!

YAY! Now all we have to do is get rid of the other scumbags who have made Ballyb their choice of holiday resort for the summer and have attracted two units of the Garda Armed Reponse Unit cruising around the town! Apparently 5 caravans bought with drug money were confiscated by the CAB so a local hotelier very kindly took the homeless druglords in. Said hoteliers getting the boot would help the town alot too. Having grown up here... I want my town back!

PS Good luck Ballyb this weekend with the Ballybunion Blast from the Past Festival.
    I went to the Hothouse Flowers for the Coastal Rocks and had a ball! Well done to all involved in organising these events.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Liveit

It doesn't matter that monday night is canceled, everyone is just going to go wedneday or saturday from now on anyway

I've heard that a local law enforcement officer of some rank has had trouble selling all his new houses because Ballyb is considered such a low rent place these days because of all the bad publicity generated by The Madness, and is in trouble for money, and has decided to clamp down on the mayhem. They can come any night of the week, but he's gonna kick their asses if he can't sell his (overpriced) houses! And a ban-garda got her head kicked in last monday night. My daughter couldn't play on her favourite pieces of equipment in the park today because they were broken last monday night. And they drove a 4x4 into the tombstone of a local cannon on the grounds of the church destroying it the same night. Why can't they go to the beach and have a ride like we all used to do?!Oh wait no.... too much broken glass, that could be risky... So batton down the hatches cos they are really gonna rip it up tonight.
    Enough now. Down with this sort of thing!

On a more positive note, well done to all concerned on the Ballybunion Blast Festival. Great fun was had by all I hear. I missed it myself much to my disappointment. Was just out of hospital after having Targetwidow Jnr The Second!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Surfsmurf

I've heard that a local law enforcement officer of some rank has had trouble selling all his new houses because Ballyb is considered such a low rent place these days because of all the bad publicity generated by The Madness

Careful now TargetWidow :eek::eek::eek:

Congrats and welcome to the sprog btw

... I missed it myself much to my disappointment. Was just out of hospital after having Targetwidow Jnr The Second!:D

Congrats TW & hubbie-of-TW .... all the best to the TW-clan !

For Monday Madness. . . . maybe it will move to another day, we dont know yet, as only the licence extension on Monday nights has been revoked. We will have to wait and see (and hope)

There was a re-launch of Ballybunion onto the tourist industry last night (something to do with Discover Ireland?) and the Ryan Tubberty show is being transmitted from BB today! There was near hysteria when he turned up last night. The world and their mother (lit) had their photo taken with him! The Canonbert Quartet (sp?) played a few tunes too !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

There was a re-launch of Ballybunion onto the tourist industry last night (something to do with Discover Ireland?) and the Ryan Tubberty show is being transmitted from BB today! There was near hysteria when he turned up last night. The world and their mother (lit) had their photo taken with him! The Canonbert Quartet (sp?) played a few tunes too !

The show can be found on the net, but it's an .smil file. :confused: This guy couldn't make it an mp3 file like the rest of the world?

Is it worth going through the trouble on installing realtime player to hear the show?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭kesey

The show can be found on the net, but it's an .smil file. :confused: This guy couldn't make it an mp3 file like the rest of the world?

Is it worth going through the trouble on installing realtime player to hear the show?

Definitely not. You will be able to get it as an .mp3 tomorrow if not sooner here:
    http://www.rte.ie/radio1/podcast/podcast_tubridy.xml

Excellent! Thanks for the tip, kesey.

In fact, it looks like the mp3 file is at your link now.

i I missed it myself much to my disappointment. Was just out of hospital after having Targetwidow Jnr The Second!:D

Let me add my congratulations, as well. But isn't Targetwidow Jnr The Second a bit of a mouthful? How about TargetWidowette? Nah. Or an Irish version - TargetWidoween? Or Tween for short! :D

Let me add my congratulations, as well. But isn't Targetwidow Jnr The Second a bit of a mouthful? How about TargetWidowette? Nah. Or an Irish version - TargetWidoween? Or Tween for short! :D

Firstly I am gutted to have missed Tubbers and the Camembert Quartet in town today.... I tried to book them to play my wedding but they were a grand over my budget :( Still kinda regret not robbing a postoffice to pay for them....:p

As for the naming issue, I spose TargetWidower Jnr should be the correct term although he will never suffer the syndrome being a lad.Mr Targetwidow has earmarked which firearms are to be left to each of them in the event of his untimely demise!:rolleyes: The firstborn was a gal and will probably never be a widow to target shooting either because she's a total tomboy and Mr. Targetwidow has her reading Irish Shooters Digest already at 2!

Thanks for the congrats!He's a week old today.

• Advertisement

... Camembert Quartet

...ah, my spelling mistake (and lack of attention for years in school) is highlighted for the world to see !! lol

... The firstborn was a gal and will probably never be a widow to target shooting ...

and the name Target Widow is finally explained too! (well, to me anyway!). Its like Golf Widow !! I geddit ..... (sorry for being slow). You have no idea what I thought your handle meant !! lol

..... You have no idea what I thought your handle meant !! lol

I can only imagine!

Where is our sun? Today (sez the biggest pagan in the village) is St Swithin's Day.... if it rains today it predicts 40 days of rainfall. :(

I bought loads of Hawaiian Tropic and a reclining sunlounger two weeks ago in anticipation of lazy days in Ballyb around now.... I remain hopeful. The best before date on the sun oil is 2012. Surely I'll get to use it before then!

surely it will improve before 2012 !

Actually, the forcast says it will improve in a few days and be very good for several days.

There was a re-launch of Ballybunion onto the tourist industry last night (something to do with Discover Ireland?) and the Ryan Tubberty show is being transmitted from BB today!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

I was in Ballybunion this afternoon. 1st time in over a year. Left Listowel where it was raining and foggy and misty, Ballybunion was warm, humid and dry. Good enough crowd on the beach. Certainly not packed but people swimming in wetsuits and some surfers.

Ooooh this is perfect weather for a dip in the tide! Cant wait!:D

I always head up to Beale if I want a walk on the beach, neve reallyr liked BallyB's beaches.

Tragedy wrote: »
    I always head up to Beale if I want a walk on the beach, neve reallyr liked BallyB's beaches.

That stretch of beach beside the windmills?

That just adds to the temptation I'm trying to resist:

irelandj.jpg

$199 = 154 euros.

Yup!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

Beale strand last Saturday:

c2026ea15e7578bfc6dee3575a9b0633c4cd5698.jpg

And Beale windmill farm, although the one that you can access is out of action at the moment. They make a scary noise when you're standing underneath one.

e1336ff0162875d882a7c662e6ab5eee96eb11dc.jpg

Advertisement