Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Offside Show

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Squeegee

Anyone have the link to the online fussball that was mentioned in the show?

Thanks,
    -Squeegee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Watched this last night for the first time.

Good stuff:
    1. The footage of Ireland - Iceland 86.
    2. The Shamrock Rovers segement
    3. Bohs vs Dream team footage.
    4. Keith O'Neill ('light workout' classic :) )
    5. 'best' goals of the week from around round the world compilation
    6. The fussball video clip.

Bad stuff:
    1. The presenter
    2. The betting section.
    3. The 'ironic' reading out of insulting txts to show how 'kewl' and disaffected you were.
    4. The monkey puppet.
    5. The ubiquitous TV3 ‘text whoring’ - comments , competitions. polls etc

Suggestions:
    Get a new presenter and scrap the tipster section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

watched it last night

wasnt great, wasnt bad

the presenter seemed to be lost for most of the show

the fussball thing is on boreme.com i think

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭father_ted9t9

The foosball piece was sorced from the below link
    www.boreme.com

Thanks for all feedback guys, taking all comments and suggestions on-board!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

sounds good ill give the repeat a watch later on

anything with a betting section sounds promising

although starting it when football in a worldwide sense is pretty much winding down seems strange

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Prior Of Taize

I think TV3 needed it to be honest because imo their sports presenters were f*ck!ng sh!te....

maybe they should also do a show on the weather because im honestly sick to death of that b*stard Martin King telling me which t0sser's birthday it is tomorrow etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Ok for one Martin KIng is a hero ... well he rocks anyway. (by the way can u get a more modern pic of limerick... we have a beuatiful riverside skyline and ur showing an old castle which is the same as half of the other pics from around the country)!

Anyway back on track!
    I thought the presenter was good, but to make this show funny maybe a comedian is needed rather than a 'host', if u get me! Some of the jokes where a bit flat... although i would say that was up to the writers!
    I really likes the texts saying how bad the show was... TV3 are deffiantly seperating themselves from traditional RTE programmes!
    The best part of the show for me was a toss up between the fussball and Marvin the monkey,(and the crppy cameraman) that was a great bit!
    I did like the betting section, it wasnt that i loved it... just that i thought i would deffend it cause it wasnt bad!

I think the show would benefit next season if it was about all sports, not just soccer. But that soccer would remain the main aspect of the show but that it would be only an aspect!
    Maybe a part of the show could incorperate something like what is on the show WATTS on eurosport! That is a really entertaining show!

Well thats my imput...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Telefís

I've have not so much as the slightest interest soccer so cannot really comment on the content - also didn't see the comedy sections.
    Overall though it looks like it has potential - as said before it wasn't great but wasn't bad either.

A couple of 'constructive' production points :) :

Audio audio audio - it is woeful; like all TV3 studio production it sounds like it's coming from a bathroom. Also the obligatory poley Irish desk mic is visually distracting - use a double lapel or smaller desk model for back-up - presumably it was the use of the latter that was/was partially causing the bathroom effect.

Secondly the presenter (funny how everyone's calling him that - does he not have a name? :)) shouts all of the time, resulting in his echos bouncing around the studio. It's very harsh and distracting - tell him to speak normally!

VT inserts could do with being snappier - again another ubiquitous Irish problem, we just cannot tseem to get the old VTs right. By the the nature of the show they need to be cued to a tee - nice and sharp please!

Also vision mixing - making it that bit faster would make all the difference, though you're certainly better than RTÉ in that respect.

The wide shot of the set looks well.

The audience is very silly sounding - agreed with Elmo that it sounds like a very small audience rather than the production crew. Either hire out Studio 1 in Montrose for a 100 people or cut the prod crew in half! :)

I dont LOVE soccer but i think its ok!

I agree with RTÉ (thats a first; but in this case the poster) there was a competition or something and we where sitting there for a while at the beginning and end to see the prises!

Well as long as the audio is better than Chorus Sports Channel people dont really notice/ care!

Yeah next season i'd like to see an audience! Maybe there could be more interaction as well, if the crew start running out of material!

Better advertising is needed! I saw only one ad before the show came on... most of my friends never heard of the show!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Yeah, advertising is a good point - unless you're watching TV3, you're gonna have no clue about this programme!

I'd recommend running a small-scale billboard campaign next season, if TV3 would spring for such a thing.

• Advertisement

Have u not seen the stuff for Ireland AM and now TV3 News ... they advertise more than RTE! Everywhere buses, billboards... taxis, ok cant think of anywhere else but anywho...

Have u not seen the stuff for Ireland AM and now TV3 News ... they advertise more than RTE! Everywhere buses, billboards... taxis, ok cant think of anywhere else but anywho...

Fair enough. My point was to do it specifically for The Offside Show though - not for these other shows.

(It doesn't matter how much you advertise Ireland AM, not many people are gonna watch it because it's RUBBISH!)

I like it... but its too spread out for me (when i actually have time to watch it!

Whose Thursdays guest?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

(It doesn't matter how much you advertise Ireland AM, not many people are gonna watch it because it's RUBBISH!)

And its on at 7 in the morning.

Last night was brilliant, the 45 mins really means things move along! Marvin the monkey is the funnest little fecker going! Really getting into the show and Dermot Whealen is now showing what he can do! I also really liked the bit after the show where the guard was reading out the review!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

I agree last nights show was very good, more smooth and more professional keep it up.

Yep, a definite improvement. Bravo...

I'd nearly say move it to a more 'prime-time' slot if this continues - or at least repeat it in a better slot - more people should be seeing this!

I checked TV Now for the ratings (of the first show) ... the show didnt even appear in TV3's top 20 (either did the property show) ... i hope this doesnt mean any cancellations or maybe they wouldnt pick it up next season... please people tell your friends about the show. SAVE MARVIN THE MONKEY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

it will stay

irish programming on tv3? they need it plus it looks cheap to make

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yes, I have to agree, although I liked it from the start, it's even better now. The only gripe I have is the Mascot's sketch thing. WTF? I think it's finished now though thankfully. Maybe we should email TV3 and tell them the programme is worthy of a full series?

I checked TV Now for the ratings (of the first show) ... the show didnt even appear in TV3's top 20 (either did the property show) ... i hope this doesnt mean any cancellations or maybe they wouldnt pick it up next season... please people tell your friends about the show. SAVE MARVIN THE MONKEY

The Property Show seems like far too much of a minority/unaddictive type of show to figure in the top 20 when you consider how TV3 has Coronation Street, so that honestly isn't too surprising.

The Offside Show might scrape somewhere between 10-20...but it would never realistically rise above that, given the genre of the show. Perhaps we should e-mail TV3 to make sure this show is given a chance, I'm very satisfied with it as of this moment.

The Property Show seems like far too much of a minority/unaddictive type of show to figure in the top 20 when you consider how TV3 has Coronation Street, so that honestly isn't too surprising.

Yeah Coronation Street has a range of 400,000 to 600,000 viewers taking up the top five spots (on a good week)
    then its Emmerdale ranging from 200,000 to 400,000 viewers (on a good week) Taking up the next 5 places

The other ten range from 200,000 viewers to 150,000 viewers. So the property show should at least try to get into TV3 top 20.

Scheduling wise I think TV3 have do a good job with The Property Show. It is on During Eastenders and on after Emmerdale, but neither RTE 2 or TG4 are showing anything worth watch at this time. I think it could get some of the audience that don't like EastEnders.

As for the Offside Show. Was it cut short because of "Celeb Love Island" or where their less adds?

I think they could have gone for a Saturday night, as RTE don't have any Chat Show on at the moment. But prehaps I putting it in the wrong Genre.

Ya, the mascots sucked... but they are gone! The show was moved up a half hour for love celeb island, and the news is at 11.15 so they had to cut it short!

TV3 dont NEED this programme the are grand on regulations and so can cut the show! Its obvious that the property show will go (or they will just have to repeat the same info), thats why i'm worried about them cutting this show (both launched same day)!
    But hey if it does we can complain!

Wonder what will replace mascots ? More Marvin????!!!??!

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭father_ted9t9

Hi Everyone, thanks for all the comments and suggestions. As you probably have noticed over the past 2 weeks we are making changes and cutting things to find the right formula and from reading the posts we seem to be going along the right thread. Mascot Fighting is now officially gone and buried, and we are looking at new things to replace it at the moment.

Hopefully We get recommissoned but we wont know for another few weeks to see how the ratings go, so keep watching and fingers crossed we will be back in Aug/Sept!

This weeks programme is a champions league final special and marvin is headin to istanbul along with a few suprises! The Guest this week is Ken Doherty, and its on at 10.30pm again because of celeb love island.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Ooh, will be worth watching. Let us know if you get recommissioned! Hopefully, you do.

Hopefully We get recommissoned but we wont know for another few weeks to see how the ratings go, so keep watching and fingers crossed we will be back in Aug/Sept!

I hope ye do get recommissioned.

But could you ask TV3 to forget about buying CELEB TAT from ITV.

Yeah, that celeb programme is rubbish...looks like it might be cancelled in UK though - ratings apparently plummeted to 1.9 million on Saturday, which is an absolute disaster.

Oh not good for ITV (celeb wrestling and love island???)! This show wont be cancelled coz for the first time in the past 3 weeks i am confident ppl will make sure it comes back!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Novocaine

They are also running a poll on who is thr greatest irish soccer player of all time.

Gee, I wonder who dat will be?

Advertisement