Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Offside Show

Options
  • 06-05-2005 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone see this show.

This show isn't for me so I cann't be critical.

the only problems I saw (Ok there where a few more then this but I am going to be critical):-

1. Tiny audience laughing at everything :rolleyes:
    2. The amount of Adds, do TV3 really need to make back there investment into Irish TV in the first showing of there Irish productions? I mean they have other shows which give plenty of support to Irish Shows.

Otherwise nice to see that TV3 are trying to make an effort.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

When I first heard this advertised I though it would be a cheap rip-off of the great Soccer AM on Sky Sports and last nights showing proved me right.
    Soccer AM has guests including footballers, celebrity football fans, a review of the previous events in the world of football, a variety of sketches (staring the crew and the production team), a few novelty items and an interactive competition where some of the guests on the show take part on behalf of viewers. Good craic for a lazy saturday morning.

The offside show had all of the above too ..only its on a smaller scale and it isn't near as good. I think the "Audience" you refered to was in fact the crew and production team. I think the time slot is wrong too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Keano_sli

Caught the end of it, Another load of bolloxs on Irish TV. If this is hte best that they can do then maybe they just shouldn't bother at all.
    It is nothing Like Soccer AM, Soccer AM is enteraining, this is cringe enducing. Do these people not have friends and family to tell them its ****e stop!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

The presenter has some potential in my opinion - though the sketches were rubbish, they should dump them immediately.

Also if they're going to have such a small audience - they might as well have no audience at all. Either get a bigger crowd (an EASY task) or dump the crowd idea.

A show with potential for sure - and, here's the thing, it's GOOD to see TV3 producing IRISH shows as opposed to importing everything - a definite step in the right direction!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

OK so people complain that TV3 dont show enough Irish TV... really the only Irish stuff they have are from aroundabout the time channel was launched (TV3 News, Ireland am)!

Everything they do gets shot down... Weakest Link, Dunphy show, The Property show (or something) and this!

Give TV3 a break!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

i thought the dumphy show was ok,this however is tripe

the jokes i thought didnt have a grain of comedy. for a football show its customary to show replays of the goals of the week,they just flew through them like it was an afterthought to put them in. the presenter seemed ok but the productino team have alot to answer for imo

i turned it off after the nick leeson interview and i dont think ill be turning it back on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Everything they do gets shot down... Weakest Link, Dunphy show, The Property show (or something) and this!

I don't think we have shoot down everything that TV3 has produced.

The dunphy show could still be on if they had taken the Saturday night slot which was there for the taking.

TV3 haven't tryed very hard when it comes to their Irish Shows. I mean they could produced some of the shows TG4 have produced, i.e. Underdogs, Amu, Pop 4, RiRa. and they would have had higher viewers for them.

At this stage they should be aiming to produce a soap opera they have the money.
    Give TV3 a break!

Lets face TV3 had adgenda and what did they do but replace with The Political Party.

I will give TV3 a break when they stop whinging.

Rick Hetherington CEO TV3:

"50% of our content has to come from European sources, another regulation we're bound by and others aren't, the programming that we do take from ITV is produced in Europe."

Stop whinging man.

But they are restricted and RTE are not??? Thats just so RTE can get all the good shows, Desperate Housewives doesnt fit in with RTE 2 seduale at all but it would with TV3 but they cant get it!

But they are restricted and RTE are not??? Thats just so RTE can get all the good shows, Desperate Housewives doesnt fit in with RTE 2 seduale at all but it would with TV3 but they cant get it!

1. Desperate Housewives does fit in with RTE TWO.
    2. TV3 don't need DH when they have Footballers Wives. Which goes so well with Coronation Street and Emmerdale. (Not that I am saying that FW comes close to DH in regards Quality, and DH isn't the best american import I have seen).
    3. Yes TV3 have regualtions, otherwise they wouldn't even bother with Ireland AM, the News or Sports Tonight.

These shows are a good step forward by TV3 into producing programming of there own (Outside their Requirements) and not relying on ITV. However TV3 when TV3 give out about their 50% EU programming which happen to be there top programming from ITV then they have little to complain about.

Limerick Man you will see that I will give out about RTE TWO and TV3 because they do very little.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

I thought the presenter was good but its a football show so why do they have Nick leeson as they first guest?? i know he is with Galway United now but get a footballer in for your first show.

They are trying to be Soccer AM which is a brilliant show, and i cant see the offside turning into that but i can see it becoming successful. But what was the deal with the mascot fighting?? that was just sh*t.

Keith O'Neil should be a good laugh next week, and it is good to see TV3 trying to doing something Irish wheather is good or bad.

Well maybe its a peperation for channel 6 which says it wants most of its output to be homegrown stuff, they want a similar % as TG4!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 marshmellowface

I reckon TV3 are improving - at least they're commissioning a few new series produced in ireland.. the problem is their scheduling.. they always put the shows at weird times. Wonderscreen (one of my favorite shows) is on Saturday nights, but it would do way better on a tuesday or thursday at about 10:30.. the offside show would do better on a sunday or early friday evening..

got to agree about the sketches, some were reasonably amusing - but others were so bad they were embarassing. They'll need to hire some good writers or it'll flop.. comedy doesn't need big budget, just sharp scripts and a good editor to control what stays and what goes..

I'm working in a productions company at the moment working on pitches for a new irish show - out of intrest, WHAT DO YOU WANT TO WATCH?

got to agree about the sketches, some were reasonably amusing

Perhaps Apres Match Team are too established at this stage thus too expensive for the sketches, same goes for the Double Z (Zig and Zag) people.

Yeah the presenter showed promise. He was a bit nervous but it was the 1st show and everything.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I caught the repeat on Friday night, and I thought it was actually OK. Obviously, I'm the only one to think this. It was their first show and I think it has potential, and it's good to see a new presenter on TV. Some of the swearing and stuff means it put to a late show, but the Friday night rerun works for me if they keep it in that timeslot.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭father_ted9t9

Ok Guys and gals, it was good to read all these comments, and if you have any suggestions please post them here(No Smart ass answers please like cancel it!!) We are trying to put together a different type of Irish Programme and i think from the reactions both here and in papers and on other forums, it is 50% Like, 50% Hate. Thats healthy though and it will mean changes over the next 5 weeks. As it only has a trial pilot run at the moment the production company is looking to see what to get rid of and what to keep, if it is going to get re-commissined for after the summer.

Elmo Firstly..

There is no audience only a very very small crew who(Maybe to your Suprise!!) Do actually like the vt inserts and jokes. The majority of the crew are not even shown the vts in rehersals so as that they can actually give real reaction when on air.
    As for tv3 and the adverts..well lets not go down the road of that again but i agree with you there are too many adverts on tv3.

We dont have the Apres Match people or The Double Z People as we dont need them or want them(No Offence Lads!). They are already established on RTE And we are looking for new things not going back to old ideas.

Also i know where all the soccer am likenesses are coming from and fair enough! But if you look at the majority of show out there that have started on rte over the past few year, they can all be compared also..

Tubridy - Jay Leno/Letterman/Conan O'Brien etc
    Your a Star - Pop Stars
    The Panel - They think its all over/ never mind the buzzcocks type progs
    Sattitude - waaay to many to mention

But the comparison to soccer am is taken onboard and there is not much can be done to avoid that - we know that.

Gileadi, Firstly it is not a Soccer Programme. It is An Entertainment Programme looking at the world of soccer. Not looking at the weeks premiership in UK, Not looking at the weeks games in Eircom League, But A programme looking at soccer things around the world which are a bit off the wall. If you want to watch a programme with an hour of games then watch The Prriemiership, Eircom League weekly or MOTD.
    Fair enough you didnt like the comedy, but certain comedy is not for some people. If you have any ideas or comments on how to make it better please do tell:)

Keep the good and bad comments coming people, but if it is going to be a bad comment try to be constructive unlike keano_sli who wasnt constructive at all just mouthing off...

"Caught the end of it, Another load of bolloxs on Irish TV. If this is hte best that they can do then maybe they just shouldn't bother at all.
    It is nothing Like Soccer AM, Soccer AM is enteraining, this is cringe enducing. Do these people not have friends and family to tell them its ****e stop!!"

Thanks again guys and gals and keep an eye out on this thurs programme, might even give a few of the good and bad comments a mention on air:)

ft9t9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

first i have heard of this programme

what day/time is it on

Keith O Neill is always great fun on Soccer AM aswell

TV3 Thursday nights 10pm live and repeated friday nights at 12am. If any of you have any questions for Keith also, please post them here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

what's your involvement ?
    if it's about the world of soccer, why was there a (faintly amusing) skit interviewing wrestlers ?
    i only saw a small bit, but the host does seem very likeable, it's good to see a new face other than the same old in-house rte people
    even if the crew laughter is genuine, it still comes across like those people chris evans used to pay to laugh at all his crap jokes
    /reserves judgement -_-

Dosent matter apart from me saying i am involved with the crew for the programme. If you watched the wrestlers Skit you would have seen it was interviewing them about faking injuries in sports, about how footballers throw themselves to the ground like wrestlers. Nothing we can do about the crew laughter, if we laugh its because we find the stuff funny thats it! Love the pic in you sig btw hahah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Danger_Dave

Watched bits of it, its was alright. Which is a good sign for a first, espically live.
    The wrestling skit was funny ish, however its a rip off of a skit done in the States about the Star wars1 premiere? {sp?} Think it was on the conan o'brien show. From other bits i saw in the programme orginailty could be comprimsed by trying to use other shows humour and formats, When its far more likely to succed with new,different and orginal idea's.

However even with that watchn bits of the first show , will make me watch all of the 2nd programme, so you's must be doin somethin right, u should show a mini highlight of a match from some1 on the show against some on xbox live playn pro evo4, have a few games over the episodes and then have a goal of the programme competition, and give the loser like myself who plays it to much a prize :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

however its a rip off of a skit done in the States about the Star wars1 premiere? {sp?} Think it was on the conan o'brien show.

This one?
    http://www.redcoat.net/pics/Conan-Triumph-at-Star-Wars.wmv

(worth a watch anyway imho)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Danger_Dave

Yep thats the one, and my god is it funny :) , so many nerds !...

kinda makes me feel like a nerd, but no were near as much as the kinda nerd to proclaim he will master space travel someday....in klingon /sigh, why does my older brother fall into that group :(

Brilliant, well for those who didnt see marvin doing his thing here is a link to the irish vt!!
    http://www.blueflametv.com/Wrestlersandpuppet.wmv

There is no audience only a very very small crew who(Maybe to your Suprise!!) Do actually like the vt inserts and jokes.

I well the laughter didn't seem rehersed to me, I wasn't saying that. It all sound like a bigger crowd then just the crew, unlike T4 which do the same.

To me it seemed like a show that should have an audience because of the guest.

And its prob not my show as I have no interest in soccer. I tend to only watch Soccer for Apres Match. Anyway its good to see different Irish Talent on the TV.
    As for tv3 and the adverts..well lets not go down the road of that again but i agree with you there are too many adverts on tv3.

I just found that this show had a huge amount of adverts in comparision to other TV programmes on TV3. Perhaps it was just me but how many add breaks in total where there. Usually TV3 have 4 add breaks per hour show.
    And yes ted I understand that TV3 don't have the luxuary of the TV licence. Don't lets get started on that. But I also realise that Canwest and ITV are making big bucks out of TV3.

Otherwise keep up the good work and I look forward to more Prime Time IRISH TV on TV3. (lets on get into that argument again ;) )

There actually only is 4ad breaks iin it elmo, but sure anyway i agree there are way too many! Jayney mack elmo, us 2 agreeing on something!! It must be the end of the world as we know it, but thanks for the comments!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

Just watched this for a second but had to switch off as I thought the presenter was very amateurish. While interviewing Leeson he looked very nervous and didn't seem to be listening to any of the answers, instead he just seemed to be waiting for Leeson to finish so he could jump in with the scripted questions. Maybe he will relax a bit and get better over the next few weeks. Think TV3 just picked a pretty boy rather than getting someone who is naturally witty, intelligent and has something with substance to say.

There actually only is 4ad breaks iin it elmo, but sure anyway i agree there are way too many

That's ok just also long as they are not increasing their adds on their Irish show. I know a while back they have 2 add breaks during News @ 5:30. I watched the 6:30 news but it only had one add break so I guess they don't do that any more.

I understand that TV3 need more adds that just a fact of being an independent station.

By the way Ted would you say that TV3 get more or less ideas for new shows then RTE or TG4? As in applications to produce a new show? Prob more a question for another forum another time.

Less than RTE Elmo, i think this is due to the fact that production companies have been given the impression that there is no point. Hopefully this will change now with the new commissions

Less than RTE Elmo, i think this is due to the fact that production companies have been given the impression that there is no point. Hopefully this will change now with the new commissions

Nah it was just what their CEO was saying which didn't make much sence to me. I would have thought the Independent sector was quite large, but he seem to think it was quite small?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Morgans

Fair enough you didnt like the comedy, but certain comedy is not for some people. If you have any ideas or comments on how to make it better please do tell.

Firstly, whoever came up with the Klinsmann Adidas Nazi skit should have been fired on the spot.

Constructuve criticism - get better writers writing funnier content. There were so many questions that Leeson could have been asked, but wasnt. Looking at soccer from a comedy will always have legs but why is a six week run beginning with only two weeks left in the english soccer season will mean that there will be less current topics to work with. Is there going to be loads of gags centring on the well known celebrities in the Eircom league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Lochaber

Enii wrote:
    Just watched this for a second but had to switch off as I thought the presenter was very amateurish. While interviewing Leeson he looked very nervous and didn't seem to be listening to any of the answers, instead he just seemed to be waiting for Leeson to finish so he could jump in with the scripted questions. Maybe he will relax a bit and get better over the next few weeks. Think TV3 just picked a pretty boy rather than getting someone who is naturally witty, intelligent and has something with substance to say.

Well he's the guy off the morning show on 98FM and I know that I enjoy listening to himself and Dave most mornings on the way to work... I think it might be his first time on a tv show so hopefully he will get better....

Advertisement