Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weezer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭antifyre

After a week with it and I can't even listen to '...Drugs' now. I mean I like Damage in your Heart, and Haunt you every day is preety good, but i'll be praying for a Blue/Pinkerton heavy set list live........ho-hum

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭eddiehitler

Cremo wrote:
    perfect situation and this is such a pity are my favourites too,

i just skip pass the diabotical songs though (beverly hills and we are all on drugs)

i agree, beverly hills and we are all on drugs are the weakest songs on the record. we are all on drugs is gonna be the next single apparently. in my opinion, ever since the green album weezer have released the weaker songs as singles (Hash pipe,island in the sun, keep fishin', dope nose) not that theyre very bad songs or anything, but there have been far better songs on maladroit and TGA that could have been released.i know its just the whole Airplay factor that decides, but i know if i was in a successful band i'd be releasing the strongest songs as singles.

that band you mentioned, Biffy Clyro, ive often heard of them but havent heard their music yet. what are they like?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

biffy clyro, man god they are hard to describe, take a bit of nirvana, heavy but meaningful riffs, three great voices, excellent drummer and a wad of hair both on the head and facial and you got them check out www.biffyclyro.com they have some audio samples up there.

Cremo wrote:
    biffy clyro, man god they are hard to describe, take a bit of nirvana, heavy but meaningful riffs, three great voices, excellent drummer and a wad of hair both on the head and facial and you got them check out www.biffyclyro.com they have some audio samples up there.

thanks dude

apparently its a band called The Subways, can anyone confirm this???

• Advertisement

i hope no one is, as the tickets say there are no special guests, and i don't think any of the other bud rising concerts have annouced supports.

can't we just have weezer on their own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

for anyone who cant afford the price of a new cd, i know a place on the interwet where it can be downloaded at a 'significat discount'.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

This place wouldn't happen to be illegal would it?

what am i a lawyer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 My Name IsJonas

the Subways are down for support in Hotpress. it could have been a hotpress article or a Bud Rising ad, I can't remember.

• Advertisement

there was a shop in america selling it for like 4 dollars so unless he means that shop i'd say it's illegal :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭wanwarlock

hi all,

just got MB yesterday from hmv (but tbh i dloaded the whole album like 3 weeks ago). with every listen, the songs just grows on me (even beverly hills)!!!

standout tracks : beverly hills, perfect situation, this is such a pity, damage in your heart.

freak me out really did freak me out!!! lol

weezer are THE only band i have all their cd's. maladroit + green album i think are the albums i'm not really into, but there are standout tracks on each album. TBA + pinkerton + MB are the best weezer albums.

btw do any of you know that weezer downtune their guitars 1/2 a step e.g. Eb, Ab, Db etc???

i missed out on the tickets!! so if anybody want's to sell them, i'll gladly pay any amount!!!!! i want to see weezer!!!

wanwarlock wrote:
    btw do any of you know that weezer downtune their guitars 1/2 a step e.g. Eb, Ab, Db etc???

first of all sorry you didn't get tickets a lot of weezer fans were disappointed.

not all weezer tracks are tuned half a step down though but the majority are

blue album - all half step down except "no one else"
    pinkerton - all half step down
    green album - STANDARD TUNING
    maladroit - STANDARD TUNING.
    make believe - i'm not sure yet but i'm playing the songs in half step down as "hold me" is certainly in half step down

ur right... green album they used standard tuning cos island in the sun is a standard E A D G chord!! most weezer songs have the same structure...

perfect situation is definitely 1/2 step down, i'm playing with f# c# g# c#

Cremo, u wanna get together and jam some weezer songs????

i don't have the time mate i'm studying for my leaving.

jamie is tuned down nice n low as i remember, man i love that song

listening to Make believe for the first time now....

what i think so far:

the first song to grab my attention is track four - hold me. i like it, i like it alot, has the sound of a classic. tracks 1, 2, 3 are just meh.

i will update this post as i listen to the rest of the tunes.

track 5 peace - bassline pretty good.

trak 6 we are all on drugs - i suspect this song will grow on me ("give it to me" :rolleyes: )

track 7 pardon me - very poppy but still very weezer, fair tune.

track 8 my best friend - fairly ****, dont like the vibe, filler tbh.

track 9 the other way - simple number, nothing bad about it, dosnt stand out, meh.

yup basically everything before green is half step. they seem to make better music with that tuning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

never really listened to weezer before but there seems to be a bit of a following here. Went of to get a few reviews and they are god-awful.

Metacritic gives it 47/100 and pitchfork (whose reviews i respect gave it 4 out of 100!!!). That's up there with the worst albums metacritic have and the worst for PF.

Completely critically panned folks. I'll be listening, but not buying.

• Advertisement

well, u can't believe anything u read right?? give it a listen & judge for ur self, and post up ur own review....

yup will do. gonna give a spin tonight.

wanwarlock wrote:
    well, u can't believe anything u read right?? give it a listen & judge for ur self, and post up ur own review....
    unfortualately weezer have become one of them you got to listen to first before you buy bands.

make believe seems to be doing good 7th in the hmv charts in the sunday world (don't know if they are offical).

i could safely say if you buy blue and pinkerton without listening to them you'll be amazed, they epitimise 90's alternative rock.

reviews however are stupid because a review is done by one person and with anything they could genuinely hate it but if you got a heavy metal listener to review say weezer, ben folds, eliott smith etc they'd probably say worst album of the year.

Cremo wrote:
    reviews however are stupid because a review is done by one person and with anything they could genuinely hate it but if you got a heavy metal listener to review say weezer, ben folds, eliott smith etc they'd probably say worst album of the year.

too true. it all depends on the reviewer, what taste they have and indeed what mood theyre in at the time. i'd say to anybody out there who are not familiar to weezer: don't judge them solely on 'Beverly Hills' and dont take what reviewers say as gospel.there are only a handful of decent reviewers out there anyway(e.g. ian winwood and Morat for Kerrang) and most only ever give the albums a quick skim through without really listening to the music. go out and get the records and make your own mind up- you wont be disappointed. everyone has their own favourites, go out and try find yours.

its been confirmed that 'The Subways' are supporting Weezer on june 7th.
    http://www.weezer.com/default.asp
    i dont think anyone really cares if theres a support band or not!

on a different note, ive just checked out American Weezer tribute band 'say it aint so'. theyve really improved over the last few months, i think theyve changed the linup somewhere along the line. i remember listening to some audio samples of them a while back and i thought they were god awful. i thought they were sloppy, tacky and very unprofessional. as ive said,theyve improved a hell of a lot.you can check out some of the live audio on their website http://www.anotherweezertribute.com/
    ive heard a hell of a lot worse...
    ha ha, look at fat 'Rivers' and Hairy 'Brian'!!!

ok, after listening to Make Believe agood few times i think i've formed a basic opinion on it:

ITS GHEY!!!!

very disappointing, sloppy fluffy lyrics, unoriginal riffs, a shabby pop rock record with nothing to recommend it other than its done by weezer.

is it just me or most people here SOOOOOOOOOOOOO lookin foward to june 7th? exams over (for me anyway, sorry all of you who have LC and other ****) and what better way to start the summer by indulging in a live dose of Da WEEZ hell ya, bring it on!!!

yes i cannot wait, screw the leaving cert i'm still going to weez.

there is talk about the foo fighters and weezer doing a tour, i hope that comes across the pond, just so i can see weezer again.

what also sucks is that i only found out that ben folds is playing the next night and it's sold out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭asp

hey, didn't realise there was all these =w= fans about. Good stuff. Loving the new album, except for My Best Friend and We Are All On Drugs!

Anyone going to the gig, then to the after party in Dorans, where we will be entertained the fantastic Pinkertons!!!

• Advertisement

Right i finally got around to listening to this properly. As mentioned above I wasn't expecting a masterpiece based on the reviews but my god is it bad.

This is easily the worst album I have heard in a long, long time. I actually found the excruciating lyrics and pathetic hooks painful to listen to.

After a few songs in I actually thought maybe it was one of those albums that tries to be bad, we all get the joke, develop a bit of affection for the cheesiness and move on. But no, this is just terrible from start to finish.

I'm not gonna go into detail on each individual song but i want to hear people's arguement on why they think its a good album, i'm very curious.

Seriously guys, go out and buy yourselves (any) Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd album and try some good music.

btw here's an example of the cereal-box lyrics i'm talking about:

I tried my best
    I gave my all
    Sometimes my best wasn't good enough
    For you
    Sometimes I let you go
    Sometimes I hurt you so
    I know that I can be the meanest person in the world

"meanest"?!! Jesus, how could anyone put that word into a song? *shakes head*

Advertisement