Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weezer

Options
  • 20-04-2005 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

any weezer fans here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

yes, one of my favourite bands, even though their last two albums have been dirt i still support them in the hope that their new album will be good (not looking good if we take beverly hills into the equation).

They've lost their geekiness in my opinion when Matt Sharp left and i don't think they'll be able to retain it.

their DVD however is one of the most in depth dvd of a band i have seen.

I'm also going to the show in dublin on the 7th of june, they need to play here again as vicar street sold out too fast

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Cremo wrote:
    (not looking good if we take beverly hills into the equation).

that song is really growing on me but yes have to a agree the last effort in particular was quite awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭eddiehitler

i was the same when maladroit came out, but ithink its one of those albums that grows on you with time. its still my least favourite but theres some great songs on there. 'slave' 'slob' and keep fishin are gret tunes. not many people like the green album, but its my personal favorite. yea i miss matt sharp, he added so much to the band. any body heard the rentals??i managed to get tickets for the vicar st. gig. its gonna be a great show

the rentals were great, i love the moog instrument such good sounds.

yea sharp has some cool **** goin on there alrite. dya think he'll ever reunite with da Weez? no disrespect to scott shriner but i dont think he fits in with the rest of the band. he's a funny guy though.

• Advertisement

rivers and matt did a acoustic show back last year they played 4 songs

Ms.Young (old matt sharp song,same song as please let that be you The rentals)
    time song (new song a collaboration between rivers and matt)
    Undone Sweater song (with matt rapping a tupac song on the intro)
    Say it ain't so.

was a great gig, i doubt matt will come back to play bass for weezer, although i'd be the first to rejoice if it happened

Cremo wrote:
    rivers and matt did a acoustic show back last year they played 4 songs

Ms.Young (old matt sharp song,same song as please let that be you The rentals)
    time song (new song a collaboration between rivers and matt)
    Undone Sweater song (with matt rapping a tupac song on the intro)
    Say it ain't so.

was a great gig, i doubt matt will come back to play bass for weezer, although i'd be the first to rejoice if it happened
    actually i saw some of that show. to be honest i didnt think say it aint so sounded so good. its one of my favorite weezer tunes, but it sounded kinda sloppy- maybe its just coz they hadnt played together in so long. ya can download all that stuff on the website ya know

aye i know, i think it just doesn't sound good is as it's on a handi-cam, there was probably some rust there also.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I like Weezer but I only own the first album so I'm a bit out of the loop when it comes to their newer material. Got my tickets for Vicar St though :D

by the first album i hope you mean the blue album, a lot of people i know come to me and say you hear weezer's first album it's great it's the one with the green album.

and if you've only got one weezer album, shame on you, go down to your local record shop and get pinkerton, it's a musical and lyrical masterpiece that flopped upon release but it's now getting the recognition it bloody well deserved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Not a big rock fan but Pinkerton and Weezer (Blue) are two of my favourite albums of all time. Not so keen on the other two albums but my God those first two rawk hard.

Cremo wrote:
    by the first album i hope you mean the blue album, a lot of people i know come to me and say you hear weezer's first album it's great it's the one with the green album.

Of course I mean the blue album, what do you take me for!?! :p

John2 wrote:
    Of course I mean the blue album, what do you take me for!?! :p
    good well, i just had to make sure, as there are people out there that think the green album was their first release :O

Don't worry, I remember the days when Buddy Holly was the height of video sophistication (and when there was a copy of it on the Windows 95 cd-rom). The days when there was no 2cd deluxe edition of said blue album and Rivers hadn't gone mad.

ahh that beloved windows95 cd, i feel odd saying this but if it wasn't for bill gates i wouldn't know of weezer :s

as you mentioned the blue album deluxe, lets hope they make a pinkerton deluxe with "The Songs From The Black Hole" www.sftbh.com on it.

They'll wait to release it just after I've bought an ordinary version of Pinkerton

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

John2 wrote:
    I like Weezer but I only own the first album so I'm a bit out of the loop when it comes to their newer material.

Stay there unless you like your emo with a little more melodrama (which, admittedly, is pretty much a requirement for the genre). I've many fond memories of blue and I'm not entirely sure why Pinkerton seems to be the most popular among the die hard W fans.

pinkerton is great because it was way way way ahead of it's time, people are only starting to realise that now.

i bought pinkerton when it came out and to be honest it the only cd i have that still sound as fresh today as it did back in '96. Another reason i like it is because Rivers poured his heart and soul into the record, although it did flop at release i admire him for releasing such emotional songs. The songs from this era can just show how good of a lyrical genius he can be.

also the gritty sound of pinkerton made me love it, it's totally dirty where as the new albums are pure clean digitised plop (with the exceptions of slob maybe)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,956 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

pinkterton, what a cd, istill haven't gotten into the post pinkerton stuff, maybe cos i haven't made an effort to listen to it...i really should

i just heard two crappy quality versions of two new songs on Make Believe.

as not to spoil it for people here are my opinions...

the two i heard are "This is Such a Pity" and "We Are All on Drugs". The first song has a really rocking sing a long chorus and i must admit the bass lines are much better than i expected.The second song "We Are All on Drugs" i have to say is terrible, it's a mix of the guitars of maladroit and the green album. It's Hash Pipe v2.0

• Advertisement

Just acquired the new album.
    Giving it a whirl now, but I don't hold high hopes for it.
    We Are All On Drugs is an awful song. I dunno how this could have made the album. Half way through now and twice I've come close to turning it off. Beverly Hills so far is the best song imo, and that gives you an idea of how poor this album is. Maybe the second half will be able to redeem the first half, but I can't see that happening. The third song, This Is Such a Pity, is catchy enough but it sounds like an 80's electro synth song.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

To be honest, i hadnt listened to them in years until last week... beverly hills and buddy holly were the ones that drew me back... might see fit to pick up the new album

i haven't a clue what they were thinking with we are all on drugs god awful

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

Just heard Beverly Hills the other day, while it is very poppy/corny and not the type of song that I like, but its really catchy and now I cant get it out of my head. So I reckon I'll have to buy their album now, yes that will solve it!

ok all weezer fans, heres a thread thats been circulated on the official weezer boards countless times, but its fun nontheless.... whats your top twenty weezer songs (bsides and demos included). im just curious as to whats the favourite among the masses...

mine are:(in no particular order)
    1. say it aint so
    2. in the garage
    3. buddy holly
    4. butterfly
    5. across the sea
    6. photograph
    7. glorious day
    8. i do
    9. december
    10. slob
    11. YGYLTMS
    12. longtime sunshine
    13. christmas song
    14. IJTOTLOMD
    15. teenage victory song
    16. we go together
    17. crab
    18. simple pages
    19. oh girlfriend
    20. no one else

twenty songs hey? that's tough, they all great.

01. Across The Sea
    02. Superfriend (as seen on the =w= DVD)
    03. Devotion
    04. The Good Life
    05. Surf Wax America
    06. Falling For You
    07. Why Won't You Get With Me Tonight
    08. Ms.Young (not the fullerton show one it's a 1993 demo)
    09. Jamie
    10. Only In Dreams
    11. Undone
    12. I Just Threw Out The Love Of My Dreams.
    13. Mykel And Carli
    14. Waiting On You
    15. El Scorcho
    16. Getchoo
    17. Say It Ain't So
    18. Pink Triangle
    19. In The Garage
    20. Tired Of Sex

01. Say It Aint So
    02. Only In Dreams
    03. The Good Life
    04. In The Garage
    05. Across The Sea
    06. Pink Triangle
    07. No One Else
    08. Buddy Holly
    09. Why Bother
    10. Butterfly
    11. No Other One
    12. Surf Wax America
    13. My Name Is Jonas
    14. Tired of Sex
    15. Undone
    16. El Scorcho
    17. Holiday
    18. Falling for You
    19. Keep Fishin'*
    20. Getchoo

*A Maladroit song, shocking I know but I do like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Rcuomo

weezer are amazing! saw them in leeds myself a couple of years back, they were great then, i cant imagine what they'll be like in vicar st.

as for their newer stuff i have to say green is the weakest by far, but i love maladroit, i mean dope nose is an all time classic...then you have other great songs in no particular order burndt jam, fall together, take control, keep fishin', slob and punk classic possibilies, & over this side of the atlantic we get living without you...

hmm top 20 in no order

1) ygyltms
    2) say it ain't so
    3) devotion
    4) suzanne
    5) across the sea
    6) in the garage
    7) dope nose
    8) hash pipe
    9) simple pages
    10) falling for you
    11) misstep (scrapped album 5 demo)
    12) twhtalmh
    13) undone
    14) buddy holly
    15) the good life
    16) tired of sex
    17) blast off
    18) living without you
    19) slob
    20) my name is jonas

*why has no-one before metioned suzanne>? classic...

Rcuomo, you are the only weezer fan i know that likes misstep.

i have to admit it's one of the worst songs Rivers has wrote (yes i have taken space rock into account)

• Advertisement

Having listened to the new album 4 or 5 times now I like tracks 2,3 & 4. That's about it.
    We Are All On Drugs is the worst Weezer song I've ever heard, it's pure crap. The second half of this album is far too whiney. Boo urns.

Advertisement