Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weezer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Saw the album today but didn't buy it. Tower had it on the wall on their "Currently Playing" rack but I didn't here any Weezer while I was in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

Yeah I bought it yesterday, I like having the books and boxes etc of CDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

we are all on drugs
    ...so true

i also thought beverly hills was poppy and cheesy, but the more i listen to it.....
    its just a feel good song!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Alana

Woah...so disappointed by this album...it's just really really bad...sniff...only one good song is beverly hills....sigh....all sad now... :( really wanted to like it but...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i miss the grittiness on weezer recordings and the harshness in rivers' voice on certain lyrics, technology is a bit to blame there i suppose. these new songs are way too polished

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Alana wrote:
    Woah...so disappointed by this album...it's just really really bad...sniff...only one good song is beverly hills....sigh....all sad now... :( really wanted to like it but...

Yeah. It's not as good as previous albums. Its not bad, but i think i need to listen to it a few more times...

I even think i heard a few mini guitar solos in it... whats all that about :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭antifyre

What would happen if Rivers got his wish, what would happen if he could be transported back in time and front KISS, or at least a modern 21st century version of it....

I'm listening to 'Make Believe' at the moment, and that's exactly what it is....why else would you get Rick Rubin's slick produce-stylee on your record?!?!

Everything reflects it....the cornball, almost story-book lyrics, the guitar solo's, it sounds like their trying to cheer up and be happy by going back to what they(he) would really want to do.

For an album like this to work, you need 12 'My name is Jonas' instant classic rock songs that scream chorus',and it just has'nt got it....Not bad, but still not 'blue' or 'pinkerton'

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭eddiehitler

just thought id post my opinions on make believe. when i listened to it first time i said to myself 'hmmm its a new direction and im not sure i like it'. but after two to three listens i think its a fabulous album. there are so many beautiful melodies going on there its irresistable. the choruses are f**king huge, i cant help but sing along to them.
    i understand many people resent the quality of the lyrics on this record. to me, weezer were always about melodies first, lyrics second.yes i know its important to be able to find meaning in lyrics but at the end of the day lyrics are only words.
    i think with this record weezer have really matured musically. it sounds more like a BAND effort, and i think the vocals sound awesome. i know its not pinkerton and BLue, but therell only ever be one pinkerton and one blue album, and its time to move on. yes, they are classic albums but its not as if they set out to replicate those albums every time. all those people who critiscise the record on the strength of 'Beverly Hills' - go and really listen to it, listen to the melodies, listen to the harmonies, listen to the way it is produced. dont slam it just because the lyrics dont appeal to you.

beverly hills is a very commercial song, but dont forget that weezer had huge commercial success with buddy holly and undone back in the day....

most of all, dont shoot me down for posting this, it is only my opinion..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

That Beverley Hills song is pretty weak. It ain't no Say It Ain't So.

magpie wrote:
    That Beverley Hills song is pretty weak. It ain't no Say It Ain't So.

it certainly isnt, but hey, its not trying to be. theres some great tunes on that new record. try 'Hold Me' or 'the damage in your heart'. great songs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Just bought it on CD-wow for E11, and looking forward to it. though, like everyone else, I was disappointed with Maladroit, I'll give them another go

antifyre wrote:
    What would happen if Rivers got his wish, what would happen if he could be transported back in time and front KISS, or at least a modern 21st century version of it....

If I'm not mistaken (and I might be) Rivers' first band mainly played Kiss covers.

Beverly Hills has really grown on me, it's a very good single.

I still hold that Maladroit is a great album though number 3.

And finally a week or more later many of Make Believe's songs are still really growing on me.

most of all, dont shoot me down for posting this, it is only my opinion..

no mate you ain't on a weezer board now, you won't get grilled for voicing your opinion.

many of the twats on weezer boards just go "album X sucks! yeh i have to be correct everyone listen to me"

what you did was you described and backed up your opinion with valid points something them clowns at a weezer board don't know of... a opinion is unique.

i'm glad people like this album it's not a bad album in my opinion, the melodies are good but i think there are too many repetitive bits, like "i will try and look the other way, other way, i will try and look the other way".

beverly hills is a little unforgiving though, i love the lyrics but unfortualately Rivers can not rap to save his life.

the highlights of the album are perfect situation, this is such a pity (kind of ironic here :) ), freak me out and haunt you every day.

for the next album - assuming there will be one - i hope that rivers just concentrates a little more on the lyrics and put a bit more effort into the vocals, for example "tired of sex", " i'm sorry, can i go, i know i'm a sinner but i can't say no" or the break down in "el scorcho", "How stupid is it?..."

i know they are both pinkerton songs but the emphasis he put into vocals back then just haven't been beaten since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

After 5 or 6 listens now and it is growing on me, I have to say!

There are some great melodies on there....

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭antifyre

eddiehitler, HOW DARE YOU HAVE DIFFERENT OPINIONS TO ME, I AM ALL POWERFUL...ahh i can't be arsed keeping the caps button down anymore... :D

I agree folks, i've seen some of those 'fan' boards for weezer lunatics and they are crazy....... and I agree about the actual tunes kicking off....'We are all on Drugs' could be huge this summer if it was'nt so trite!

It's actually causing me pain, I'm doing concentrating on something else, and the album is playing in the background, and I realise that i'm really enjoying it..... then I concentrate on the singing and it just ruins it!

...however, I just saw the set lists for some of the gigs they are doing, and can't wait until june 7th!

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

Cremo wrote:
    beverly hills is a little unforgiving though, i love the lyrics but unfortualately Rivers can not rap to save his life.

"Look at all those movie stars
    They're all so beautiful and clean"

?

Cremo wrote:
    or the break down in "el scorcho", "How stupid is it?..."

Yeah that's one of my favourite parts of any song ever. Across the Sea also has incredible lyrics and feeling in Rivers' voice.

one of my personal favorites of rivers vocals would be 'Longtime Sunshine', i love the harmonies and emotion in that song. i love that clarinet bit, it adds loads more feeling to the song too.(well it sounds like a clarinet!) songs like that would make you wonder why weezer have never released them officially. i mean take all the good unreleased stuff, demos etc over the years- if they were released weezer would have about twenty albums!
    still i guess its good that theyre available for download to the fans who know that theres more to weezer than just hash pipe or buddy holly.

oh yea, has anyone ever got this: you say you like weezer to some people, and they go ' oh yea, teenage dirtbag was a great song'.... it drives me Krazzy!

you say you like weezer to some people, and they go ' oh yea, teenage dirtbag was a great song'.... it drives me Krazzy!

heh, it's better than some of tripe of the new album tbh.

just read the Kerrang review of the new Weezer Record. it only got 3 k's. a bit disappointing when you think about the fact that they gave maladroit an excellent review in 2002. i know a lotta people out there are disappointed with it but i think it deserves more than a 'Fair' review. who agrees with me that its a better record to maladroit? i like maladroit but...ya know.

also kerrang have decided to review weezers previous releases. they all have four K's now- it seems that they cant remember what they thought of the albums first time round. the blue album got that same review in '94, but Pinkerton only got 3K's in '96. TGA got 5K's in 2001 and Maladroit got the same in 2002. it just goes to show how fickle music journalism can be. but then again does anybody really care what the journalists think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Listened to it a lot now.
    It's a good bit better than Maladroit and Green in my opinion.
    The only song on it I really don't like is We Are All On Drugs. I'm not that impressed with Peace either. Perfect Situation and This Is Such a Pity are my two favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

we are all on drugs is the best on the album imo..

just read the Kerrang review of the new Weezer Record. it only got 3 k's. a bit disappointing when you think about the fact that they gave maladroit an excellent review in 2002. i know a lotta people out there are disappointed with it but i think it deserves more than a 'Fair' review. who agrees with me that its a better record to maladroit? i like maladroit but...ya know.

also kerrang have decided to review weezers previous releases. they all have four K's now- it seems that they cant remember what they thought of the albums first time round. the blue album got that same review in '94, but Pinkerton only got 3K's in '96. TGA got 5K's in 2001 and Maladroit got the same in 2002. it just goes to show how fickle music journalism can be. but then again does anybody really care what the journalists think?
    the reason why kerrang hate it is because they love screeching guitars.

kerrang are **** anyways for reviews along with NME (NME gave biffy clyro's "the vertigo of bliss 1 star or something).

perfect situation and this is such a pity are my favourites too,

i just skip pass the diabotical songs though (beverly hills and we are all on drugs)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 My Name IsJonas

Kerrang re-reviewed all the albums when Maladroit came out as well. I think they gave everything 5Ks. I'll have a look for the magazine.

Kerrang re-reviewed all the albums when Maladroit came out as well. I think they gave everything 5Ks. I'll have a look for the magazine.
    that's not bad lol

rolling stone gave pinkerton 1/5 stars (i remember reading that issue lol) then some years later they go back and give it a 5 star and a place in it's hall of fame.

something pretty screwy around there isn't there?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Well Pinkerton is a grower album and most journalists would only listen to an album once or twice. Who knows what gems have been ignored because of a one star review.

we are all on drugs is the best on the album imo..

"When you're out with your friends
    In your new Mercedes Benz and you're
    On drugs
    And you show up late for school cuz
    You think your really cool when you're
    On drugs
    And you put on your headphones
    And you step into the zone when you're
    On drugs
    But the world don't care
    If your not there cuz you're
    On drugs

Give it to me
    We are all on drugs yeah
    Never getting enough (Never get enough)
    We are all on drugs yeah
    Give me some of that stuff (Wooooh)"

Right.

I want to confiscate your drugs!

it's a fun song. people read too much into things sometimes

who remember lyrics like this, also written by Rivers Cuomo

I'm me
    me be
    goddamn I am
    etc

• Advertisement

I want to confiscate your drugs!

it's a fun song. people read too much into things sometimes

who remember lyrics like this, also written by Rivers Cuomo

I'm me
    me be
    goddamn I am
    etc
    don't know how you can compare the lyrics of undone to we are all on drugs?

Advertisement