Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sigur Ros Touring in July

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭drrnwbb

damien.m wrote:
    I think I may book some flights to Boston to see them in September.

i just found out this evening im going to the boston and nyc gigs, you gonna make it for the boston one?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Nah. I'll get my fix in Dublin now. Convinced my friend over there to go see them though.

damien.m wrote:
    Nah. I'll get my fix in Dublin now. Convinced my friend over there to go see them though.

boston concert was great, amazing venue. nyc gigs went very well aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

What was the setlist like? Are they still doing that awesome reworking of Haffsól?

yeah they are.. and its still great!

the setlists have been varying a little bit during the american tour. they have all started off with the intro to takk, then glósóli and then ný batterí.

this was the nyc setlist (for both nights):
    1- Intro
    2- Glósóli
    3- Ný batterí
    4- Svefn-g-englar
    5- Sæglópur
    6- Vaka (Untitled #1)
    7- Njósnavélin (Untitled #4)
    8- Hoppípolla
    9- Með Blóðnasir
    10- Viðrar vel til loftárása
    11- Hafssól
    12- Smáskífa
    13- Popplagið (Untitled #8)

thankfully in boston they played a slightly different set:
    1. Takk / Glosoli
    2. Ny Batteri
    3. Saeglopur
    4. Vaka
    5. Gong / Andvari
    6. Vidrar Vel Til Loftarasa
    7. Hoppipolla / Med Blodnasir
    8. Hafssol
    9. Smaskifa
    10. Popplagio

the new songs have so much energy to them but the highlights for me was the start of með blóðnasir (the band members start their "rocking" mode) aswell as the very end of smaskifa (the bsides to the vaka single) where orri (the drummer) is on the stage on his own playing piano. beautiful. popplagið is super great aswell.

one thing about all the older songs from agaetis byrjun, for myself who has seen the band a lot - theys do tend to be quite boring. and hopefully the band will realise that playing four songs from ab (ny batt, svefn, vidrar, olsen) is a bit too much and two or so should be the max. the new songs are far too good to be sidelined.

also, another single from the album will be out late november with two fantastic bsides :) its gonna be greeeattt!

dw

• Advertisement

drrnwbb wrote:
    one thing about all the older songs from agaetis byrjun, for myself who has seen the band a lot - theys do tend to be quite boring. and hopefully the band will realise that playing four songs from ab (ny batt, svefn, vidrar, olsen) is a bit too much and two or so should be the max. the new songs are far too good to be sidelined.

I'm afraid we're going to have to agree to disagree here ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭goo

John2 wrote:
    I'm afraid we're going to have to agree to disagree here

Me too. "Viorar", "Ny Batteri", "Olsen Olsen" and "Svefn" would probably all be on my wishlist, had I gotten tickets.

goo wrote:
    Me too. "Viorar", "Ny Batteri", "Olsen Olsen" and "Svefn" would probably all be on my wishlist, had I gotten tickets.

my badly made point above needs to be clarified :)

svefn and ny batteri are two of my favourite songs in the world ever. i could listen to them every single day for the rest of time and id not grow tired of them. but, when the band are on stage for 1hr45min or so, then i would prefer newer songs from takk or ( ) took priority before they played four or five songs from agaetis byrjun. they should only play 2-3 max from that album.

the three concerts i saw last week in nyc and boston started out so great with track 1 (glósóli) from takk - then going into the long drawn out intro to ny batteri which sorta looses the momentum a bit. then the 2 nyc ones went straight into svefn. thankfully the band were persuaded to change it slightly for the boston (and subsequent) concerts. the new songs are just so amazing live that the older older older ones should be kept to a minimum.

they have played most of takk live now, with the exception of two songs i think - and those two have been rehersed.

dw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

most of us don't get to see them five nights a week, so we want to hear AB tracks, they know it too, so tough titties :p

Any chance of persuading them to do Ba Ba Ti Ki Di Do for the Dublin show? ;)

• Advertisement

John2 wrote:
    Any chance of persuading them to do Ba Ba Ti Ki Di Do for the Dublin show? ;)

the only times they do that live is with the merce cunningham dance show (where it was debuted).

Too bad that show didn't tour, I would have loved to see both them and Merce's work.

it toured a little bit - nyc, bergen (norway), paris and seoul... (these are the shows that sigur rós performed their music live - not sure about the paris and bergen ones...) but there has been other performances of the piece with the sigur rós music played from a preprepared recording. (i think the seperate radiohead portion of the music has only been "live" once - the premiere in nyc)

its still touring a bit more. - http://www.merce.org/company-schedule.html

im still adding new concerts to the tracker page: http://www.drrnwbb.com/bt/ lots coming in from the current american tour.

dw

drrnwbb wrote:
    other performances of the piece with the sigur rós music played from a preprepared recording. (i think the seperate radiohead portion of the music has only been "live" once - the premiere in nyc)

Went to London last year to see this. Only after I bought the tickets did I realise that it was from a recording. Saw it in the Barbican. Very very odd. Too contemporary even for me. (The show, not the music.) The people I brought along were thinking "what the fúck?"

damien.m wrote:
    The people I brought along were thinking "what the fúck?"

Sounds like Merce Cunningham all right!

Might as well bump this now. :)

I'm all a jitter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

me jitters in unison

It appears that I have a spare ticket. It is one of those special golden tickets, well those pre-sale fan ticket thing jobbies that I need to collect from the Olympia. What to do what to do? I don't really want to sell it.

There are people looking for tickets all over the site here, why not give it to one of them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

By the way, there will be a pit area for this concert with people with the fan club tickets the only people allowed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

Sigur Ros are on Later with Jools on BBC2 tonight.

I just got in the door from the gig to catch them on Jools. Great gig, great TV spot.

reviews are welcome reviews@sigur-ros.co.uk - pics are welcome too - as is info if anyone knows anyone who recorded it...

darren

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

I see there are torrents of the Jools spot here: http://www.drrnwbb.com/bt/

plazzTT wrote:
    I see there are torrents of the Jools spot here: http://www.drrnwbb.com/bt/

nice site! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

Hope ye good people can help me out. I caught a video of sigur ros on vh1 or something like that but it included handicapped people dressed as angels. I had never heard of the band before but the tune is stuck in my head ever since and I dont know the name of it or the album it is from. PLease please tell me where I can get the tune and maybe recommend one of their albums to get me started. Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

svefn g englar, from agaetis byrjun, the 2nd album

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

The gig was fantastic.... They are such a good live band... but for me, I think the crowd 'ruined' a perfectly good gig...

Firstly, the hum from people talking at the back of the standing area was really annoying. They should have treated the gig like going to the 'opera'. When they are playing you keep quiet and respect what they are doing.

People 'shssshing' all the time taking the piss was just childish... They couldn't help themselves but make stupid comments....

Yeah'ing and wooping... It just didn't fit into the night...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

Deadwing wrote:
    svefn g englar, from agaetis byrjun, the 2nd album

thanks very much deadwing. appreciate it.

Advertisement