Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the worst area in dublin?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Like Chamber st flats on Cork st, talk about Beirut, just as well they are being demolished.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

gurramok wrote: »
    Like Chamber st flats on Cork st, talk about Beirut, just as well they are being demolished.

Chamber St aren't that bad, I've walked through them many times. Walking through Teresa's Gardens is no go, even the Gardai have only started doing walking trips through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

The Parliment Buildings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Loughlinstown(deep inside the estate) the houses make Calcutta look nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Rum&Coke

-Dun Laoghaire I believe is seriously underrated. Its the second most populated area in Co. Dublin (Dublin itself coming first) and most likely to become a city in the next decade or so. The Dun Laoghaire county council has seemed to devote all its effort to help buisnesses and construction companies which supply money for the council. Which basically means that the working class areas and in the surroundings of Dun Laoghaire are given little attention and are neglected. Areas Dun Laoghaire folk will be familiar with like Sallynoggin, Ballybrack, Loughlinstown, Monkstown, Mounttown, central Dun Laoghaire, Glasthule etc. have recieved little funding or help from the council. Im talking not only about ****ed up streets and petty anti social behaviour but drug and violence problems. Anybody who walks through derelict areas around Dun Laoghaire know themselves that they are absolute ****holes.
    -But aside from Dun Laoghaire I would agree that outer city areas like Darndale, Jobstown, Finglas etc are definetly up there as the worst Dublin has to offer. The North inner city, east wall and Bray also have shabby parts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

Firhouse - is there a more dreary suburb?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭berliner

Ballyfermot is one depressing kip.Anywhere there's council houses/flats should be avoided at all costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

berliner wrote: »
    Anywhere there's council houses/flats should be avoided at all costs.

And in one sentence you've summed up why I hate these threads

Collie D wrote: »
    It's the truth.Maybe you live in la la land because in the real world council estates and flats are by and large dog rough.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

+ 10 .Not so long ago about 15 years ago or so , a large population of ireland lived in council houses /estates and were glad to do so to

• Advertisement

It's the truth.Maybe you live in la la land because in the real world council estates and flats are by and large dog rough.:mad:

I think it's you who's living in La La Land. Have ou ever been on a council estate? I have sepnt most of my life in one. I haven't spent almost three decades in fear of my life

I think it's you who's living in La La Land. Have ou ever been on a council estate? I have sepnt most of my life in one. I haven't spent almost three decades in fear of my life
    I lived on one and it was a nightmare.Never again.Dreadful soulless places full of hard people.No thanks!

latchyco wrote: »
    + 10 .Not so long ago about 15 years ago or so , a large population of ireland lived in council houses /estates and were glad to do so to
    What he hell does that mean?

What he hell does that mean?

I think he means that back before the Celtic Tiger this country didn't have as many people who looked down their noses at others because of where they lived.

I think he means that back before the Celtic Tiger this country didn't have as many people who looked down their noses at others because of where they lived.
    I'm not looking down my nose,I'm saying they're awful places to live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I understand what you mean berliner, but I think its a bit unfair.

I always would have liked to grow up on a council estate, seems like there is more kids and more to do.

I understand what you mean berliner, but I think its a bit unfair.

I always would have liked to grow up on a council estate, seems like there is more kids and more to do.
    Yeah sure,and i'd like to live in calcutta! Ah the innocence of ya!

+ 1 :D

Look at all the expensive apartments around dublin that nobody can afford to live in .That's the other extreme and at a rough guess i would say a fair % of boardsies grew up in and perhaps still do live in council housing (which is nothing to be ashamed of ) .

The celtic tiger is to blame for all Snobbiness that's around the place ;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i grew up in a council estate and i am not ashamed of it. my parents and i lived in a one bed, rat infested flat until i was four. some people seem to forget what it was like living in ireland in the 70's - 80's - there was absolutely no money or jobs in the country.

My parents no longer live in a council house, they have built a house in an area which would be considered expensive but if anyone asks me where i grew up, i give the council estate name, i am not ashamed of my roots

Absolutely IB .i lived in ireland up until 88 and i think the generation that came after had it a lot better in terms of education jobs and the benefits of cheap travel but some forget that only 20 years ago those opportunities were not there, and immigration was the only option for many regardless of weather they lived in a council house/estate or not. .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

Alot of people are under the impression that Donaghmede has council houses !! They are and always were private houses!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

gaz wac wrote: »
    Alot of people are under the impression that Donaghmede has council houses !! They are and always were private houses!

Newgrove Estate is council housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭donaghs

You can tell by the design of houses. St. Donaghs Rd and parts of the Donaghies are council built. All over that general area there's plenty of council housing as well: Baldoyle, Kilbarrack, Raheny, Edenmore, Coolock, etc. Most of it has been privately bought at this stage.

Chav

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 elegant_hobo

gaz wac wrote: »
    Thats not true man, i lived in council houses in grange abbey, and a private house in a council estate in grangemore, and most of st donnaghs is council houses, or was atleast

Phil_321 wrote: »
    I'm not anti-UK but I hate that recent Brit invented word: Chav.
    Why don't you use knacker or scumbag, those words have served us well for years.
    Amen to that!

Here my top 5 worst areas in dublin (all with reason) ! bein g the wordt kip and 5 being not too bad.

1) Ballymon - Got mugged on a "Day Trip" up there.
    2) Darndale/Most Parts of Belcamp - Lived in both for a total of 10 years.
    3) Ballyfermot - Only over near where my college is (BCFE) after 6pm
    4) Killbarrack - Dart driver mugged/stabbed/attacked every other night!
    5) *shocking* Donaghmede - Lots of scum hang round the field at night near newbrook. I lived in Grange Abbey near there for years.
    Ah i dont think kilbarrick and donaghmede can be seen as worse than jobstown/summerhill and a good few other places

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

latchyco wrote: »
    Absolutely IB .i lived in ireland up until 88 and i think the generation that came after had it a lot better in terms of education jobs and the benefits of cheap travel but some forget that only 20 years ago those opportunities were not there, and immigration was the only option for many regardless of weather they lived in a council house/estate or not. .

Think you mean emigration, big difference between that and immigration

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭nannou4

dubtom wrote: »
    Would you care to elabourate on this 'total nightmare' you had in Ballyfermot.
    As someone who has lived there all my life I've never heard of this nightmare,so please do share.Is it like a nightmare on elm st? I can't wait to hear it.

Hey its just my opinion , chill out , there is no correct worst place in dublin its all opinion ,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 heinzes9100

the worst place to live is d4. The reason is, everyone outside that little community hates you, house prices are massive and u will grow up being a prick and in alot of debt. Most people in ballymun and tallaght r dead sound. i might be way wrong but i dont think so

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement