Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom press release, 1M -> 4M DSL

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

zoro wrote:
    People are happy about the new download speeds. We are not happy that Eircom and Eircom only, have restricted every one of it's resellers to 128k up for the home packages. Do some research, then shut up

If Smart telecom resell their product to UTV or IOL will your comments change ? This thread has only provided opportunities for people to have another rant at Eircom, I've read Eircoms announcement on their site and I saw no mention of 128K upload figures, only downloads. The only mention of this figure was in a post that contained no link to back it up.

Rudeness noted by the way.

ZEN

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

ZENER wrote:
    If Smart telecom resell their product to UTV or IOL will your comments change ? This thread has only provided opportunities for people to have another rant at Eircom, I've read Eircoms announcement on their site and I saw no mention of 128K upload figures, only downloads. The only mention of this figure was in a post that contained no link to back it up.
    Smart Telecom are not reselling anything. Eircom are ....
    What's your point? Are you expecting me to provide financial reports proving that Smart would supply their resellers a cheaper product than Eircom? Or a better one?
    Rudeness noted by the way.
    huh? You've been trolling for about 2 pages now ...
    Enough is enough - we disagree on a number of points and we've taken this thread too far off topic.

diarmo wrote:
    When was the last time you got a MONO CD????

Is that the best you can do ?? OK then let's go there, when was the last time you made a stereo phonecall ??

"CD Quality" is a relative term that refers to the ability of the bitrate to reproduce the sound quality of a CD, i.e 44KHz 16Bit 20 - 20K.

Later . . .

ZEN

zoro wrote:
    huh? You've been trolling for about 2 pages now ...
    Enough is enough - we disagree on a number of points and we've taken this thread too far off topic.

:eek: :rolleyes:

ZEN

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

ZEN, Go and read the posts on the Ireland Offline boards, they are very informative about why everyone dislikes eircom.

Whether its "CD Quality" or not, I dont know, but taking into account that my connection tops out at around 96kbps, and then factoring in the overhead that any VIOP program itself would introduce, I'd say you'd be lucky to get 64kbps effective. This might be good enough quality wise, but it would take that much longer to get to the other person. Having even a 5 second gap can be very disconcerting.

Earlier you said that the prices compare favourably to the rest of europe, but the truth is that they dont; a 2 megabit connection here is around ~80 euro including line charges, in sweden its ~60 Euro for a 100 megabit connection. (I have to admit that i dont know if that includes line charges)

I'm not saying that Eircom is a creation of the Devil, or that the rest of the companies are saints(Everyone of them has a flaw, NTL:Customer Support, Smart: Low Upload Speed, The Bitstream reseller are a mixture, but are hampered in what they can offer by Eircom, IBB and the like: Suffer from patchy service, often down), but what i am saying is that as Eircom is the largest provider in Ireland, it is deliberately suppressing advances in speeds, reductions in prices, and they lie any time they open theie mouths(Again, check the Ireland Offline boards.)

Also, check out ComWreck

• Advertisement

Macros42 wrote:
    That would be fantastic. Now factor in full-duplex and you're seeing quality dropping a lot.

What are you talking about? The other half of the duplex is coming in on a 512K link, the 128K out path only handles one half of the traffic
    :confused:

ZEN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

ZENER wrote:
    I've read Eircoms announcement on their site and I saw no mention of 128K upload figures, only downloads. The only mention of this figure was in a post that contained no link to back it up
    SkepticOne linked to their Bitstream docs in his next post, which is where the 128K figure came from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭diarmo

What qualifications have you to back up this speel ZEN??

I have an Electronic Engineering degree and your arguments are just puffs of smoke.

Do you know anything of the intracies of software developement and Engineering???

CatInABox wrote:
    Whether its "CD Quality" or not, I dont know, but taking into account that my connection tops out at around 96kbps, and then factoring in the overhead that any VIOP program itself would introduce, I'd say you'd be lucky to get 64kbps effective. This might be good enough quality wise, but it would take that much longer to get to the other person. Having even a 5 second gap can be very disconcerting.

Higher bitrates mean more data to be sent which means more tcp packets to be routed via more routers etc. - the recieving system than has to wait until all these packets arrive so they can be put back into correct order to be intelligable.
    Earlier you said that the prices compare favourably to the rest of europe, but the truth is that they dont; a 2 megabit connection here is around ~80 euro including line charges, in sweden its ~60 Euro for a 100 megabit connection. (I have to admit that i dont know if that includes line charges)

Yes I said favourably, not better than. Watch the british TV adds for 12.99 broadband and read the small print, 128Kb with a 1GB cap for £12.99 !! Compared to that we get good value. I've searched for that 100Mb/€60 with no luck. The only Swedish 100Mb service Icould find was a fibre based system at 990 Euro per month here. The same site lists 512K BB at 395 krone (€43) here.
    I'm not saying that Eircom is a creation of the Devil, or that the rest of the companies are saints(Everyone of them has a flaw, NTL:Customer Support, Smart: Low Upload Speed, The Bitstream reseller are a mixture, but are hampered in what they can offer by Eircom, IBB and the like: Suffer from patchy service, often down), but what i am saying is that as Eircom is the largest provider in Ireland, it is deliberately suppressing advances in speeds, reductions in prices, and they lie any time they open theie mouths(Again, check the Ireland Offline boards.)

Also, check out ComWreck

I appreciate what you're saying and I don't deny that Eircom are responsible for their fair share of indescretions, my problem is people who slate them because it's fashionable and for no other reason and this place is alive with such people. I could link to several threads as examples of this if you'd like.

I don't have shares in them or work for them but for all the time I've been with them as a customer I have always been treated well and kept informed of any schemes or changes being introduced that may benefit me as a consumer. I've moved house 3 times and recieved excellent service each time, I use IOL BB service but I'v never had any problems setting that up from Eircoms end, they weren't awkward about it in any way. In fact the opposite was true, they were very helpful keeping me notified about the upgrading of the local exchange. This is in stark contrast to some of the tales being told here. I don't believe that no-one else has good to say about them or maybe they do, it's just not fashionable !!

ZEN

diarmo wrote:
    What qualifications have you to back up this speel ZEN??

I have an Electronic Engineering degree and your arguments are just puffs of smoke.

Do you know anything of the intracies of software developement and Engineering???

What "speel", the simplex, half-duplex or full-duplex "speel" or the audio bit rates "speel" ??

ZEN

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Straight from the horses mouth : 100mbit Broadband

Its in swedish, but you get the general gist, ~65 euro for a 100 megabit fibre connection.

Personally, I dont have a problem with eircom service, and am very happy with the upgrade, and while i would have like a higher upload speed, its not a deal breaker for me.

What I do have a problem with is the way that they are using their position to hamper competition.

By the way, I can't change from eircom because my dad gets the connection from a friend in eircom. No benefit to me though.

EDIT: That 100 megabit connection is with a 300 gb cap, go over it and your put to 128kbps until you buy another 100 gb for ~30 euro. Thats what i get from the general gist

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

CatInABox wrote:

Its in swedish, but you get the general gist, ~65 euro for a 100 megabit fibre connection.

Personally, I dont have a problem with eircom service, and am very happy with the upgrade, and while i would have like a higher upload speed, its not a deal breaker for me.

What I do have a problem with is the way that they are using their position to hamper competition.

By the way, I can't change from eircom because my dad gets the connection from a friend in eircom. No benefit to me though.

EDIT: That 100 megabit connection is with a 300 gb cap, go over it and your put to 128kbps until you buy another 100 gb for ~30 euro. Thats what i get from the general gist

don't forget that in Sweden, they have like 60% tax, and every check you get from work, government takes 60% of it,

of course they will have fast broadband for less price.

CatInABox wrote:

Smashing !! Now if only I could afford the 25 grand it would cost to get a fibre from my house to the local exchange !! I've checked a few Swedish sites and they're all around the same price as the sites I linked to above for a similar product to ours.

By the way diarmo I don't need a fancy qualification to find out how VoIP works, thankfully I can read and have good comprehension skills. For anyone else unsure about it here's a nice simple explanation.

ZEN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

CyberGhost wrote:
    don't forget that in Sweden, they have like 60% tax, and every check you get from work, government takes 60% of it,

sorry but that statment sounds totaly crazy to me
    60% :rolleyes:

i bet its no more than 35%

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Congratulations on taking this thread off topic guys. Really well done. Claps all around.

Thread locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement