Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom press release, 1M -> 4M DSL

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

No it won't :p

They're still a monopolistic company dictating to their resellers what they're allowed sell. This is merely a step in the right direction. The pressure needs to be kept on to improve the upload speeds and remove the caps.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

NTL are going to have to make that move now, or they'll lose a big chunk of their residential market.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

causal wrote:
    NTL, ESAT, UTV, Smart - the gauntlet has been thrown..

I mailed NTL support the following - suggest all broadband subscribers mail their suppliers likewise!
    Hi there,

Eircom announced today they will move all current 512Kbps broadband customers to 1Mbps for free. Can you tell me if NTL are planning any similar upgrades to match that offer? I know for example that NTL UK are planning to move all 764Kbps customers to 2Mbps?

Thanks,

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

/me dances. I hope we get 60 gig caps :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I must have been unknowingly testing this as for last 7 months i have been getting 105kb down and 26kb up constantly depending on source, getting it right now actually.

Good to see it coming without a price increase.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Shows what a bit of competition/pressure/publicity can do.

This should be seen as an encouragement to up the heat on Eircom big time. They're still dragging on the upload issue and should be slapped over it in the press. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭johncorleone

Praetorian wrote:
    But while we're getting upgrades to 1m/bit and 2m/bit, the rest of the world is moving on. BT in the uk are offering upto 8/mbit at reasonable prices. Eircom are keeping us years behind.

What are you talking about ? The maximum BT connection being offered is 2Mb :

http://www.bt.com/broadband/news/

Got any facts to back up this claim of 8Mb ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

BT in the UK have just started taking trials for 8mb BB. Check Register for details.

\o/ on Press Release. Just waiting for the iol response now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

http://www.theregister.com/2005/03/07/bt_isp_roundup/

ahh beat me too it,
    but theres the link

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Interesting, this should mean I'll get either 2MB or 3MB if Esat Business packages follow what Eircom have just done :D

Nice one...no word from esat yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭johncorleone

Winters wrote:
    BT in the UK have just started taking trials for 8mb BB. Check Register for details.

\o/ on Press Release. Just waiting for the iol response now.

There is a big difference between a trial which will go on for an undisclosed amount of time and an offered service. They're hardly "offering upto 8/mbit at reasonable prices". It's not even available to the general public.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭ando

to late eircom, I've signed the deed with smart already. The only way I'd come back is if the cap was reasonable/realistic

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Dunno about the CAP Ando. the back end pipe and contention are the same as before . Even the 4Mbit service has 24:1 contention while the new 1024 is still 48:1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Praetorian wrote:
    Hmm, news just in. EsatBT will be giving their press release shortly.

Whippiee! Cant wait i have esat, Im sick of hearing about other countries with wopper 8mb connections for sweet fany adams!
    Even with these new speeds we're still lagging behind other countries

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

well for those that can get it fair dues lads, for those of us still in the battle to get anything resembling broadband on our lines it means **** ALL, repeat

**** ALL

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Take it ! ( ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭apeking

So when will it actually come in i'm wondering. Exactly on the 8th of April or could it happen sooner??

This is going to be soooooo cool

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

From ElectricNews:

http://www.enn.ie/frontpage/news-9593896.html
    Esat BT has announced that it is doubling the speed of its broadband services with no increase in price. Customers will be able to choose broadband with speeds of 1Mbps or 2Mbps for EUR39 and EUR47 per month respectively. From 4 April all new and existing customers will be automatically upgraded to the faster broadband services. Esat BT also announced that its free broadband trial offer has been extended to 31 March.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Yes yes ****in yes...i will now have 2mb....cant wait......*kid at christmas*

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

so i'm just speculating on caps here but let's take eircom's 54 euro package

if the speed increase is 4 times (2048/512) then the cap should be at least 32gigs (8x4)

taking iol's 47 euro package

it should be 64 gigs

this won't happen though.

it's a shame about the upload staying the same

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I am MAN wrote:
    ha that will shut all of you Eircom haters up.

Not me :D

They've only done this because they were forced to lower their prices by the regulators. Not wanting to lower their prices, they've forced 1Mb on people that don't need it (there will no longer be a 512k option).

Don't get me wrong....I'm delighted to be offered a 2 meg service....it's just a pity it had to come at the expense of those who have no need for a 1 meg service.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

causal wrote:
    NTL, ESAT, UTV, Smart - the gauntlet has been thrown..

..convince us paying customers that we should give you our cash..

*ching ching*
    let the games begin..

Actually, the gauntlet was laid down by Smart, Eircom are hardly doing this out of the goodness of their hearts. Eircom would still have to do a lot more to convince this paying customer to give them my cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

Cremo wrote:
    it's a shame about the upload staying the same

Surely it can't.

With download speed quadrupling, it has to at least double.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

oceanclub wrote:
    Eircom announced today they will move all current 512Kbps broadband customers to 1Mbps for free. Can you tell me if NTL are planning any similar upgrades to match that offer? I know for example that NTL UK are planning to move all 764Kbps customers to 2Mbps?
    Will email ntl but am going to wait and see what offers the other providers make in response.
    Also I'll highlight the eircom-plus customer are going from 512kbps to 2Mbps !!

Come on now ntl, increase those speeds - including upload speed - surely you realise your customers will switch to VoIP and dump eircom completely. Hello ntl - are you listening - dump eircom completely!!!
    Blitz the opposition with 1Mbps-256kbps, 2Mbps-512kbps, 3Mbps-768kbps.
    COME ON!!

causal

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

plazzTT wrote:
    Surely it can't.

With download speed quadrupling, it has to at least double.
    check this post

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2488703&postcount=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

PiE wrote:
    Actually, the gauntlet was laid down by Smart, Eircom are hardly doing this out of the goodness of their hearts. Eircom would still have to do a lot more to convince this paying customer to give them my cash.

But this is the first ACTUAL increase.
    Fair enough Smart put the pressure on with "a product coming to an exchange near you, or maybe not"; but I see now Esat have already responded.

The game is apace...

causal

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Im currently on eircom trial,will i get it?
    Im only 3 weeks into trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Dcully wrote:
    Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Dcully wrote:

yes everyone will get it no matter how long they with the ISP.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

Cremo wrote:

Ah my fault. I misread your post. I thought you said cap is staying the same.

I got a bit over-excited there. :o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement