Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

would you still call green day punk?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Pinhead

I figured what I said was a compliment..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

you got to admire Green Day for sticking with punk for all this time when they could have turned to what they are now long ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Pinhead

By your logic, you have to admire Metallica for sticking with Thrash up until 1990 when they could have turned to what they are before that..

Oh please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 729 ✭✭✭crazy angel

i hate them they suck! they are an insult to the word punk!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Stroller_burn

I've never called them punk rock, their early stuff is pop punk however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

Why the **** should it matter what genre of music they slot into?

You either accept them for what they are doing, (imo American idiot is a very varied and entertaining album) or refuse to listen to them because their social status doesn’t fit in with your obscured elitist outlook on life.

Also could anyone find me a user with 666 in their name who isnt a complete retard?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

they went from pop punk to whatever the hell is coming out of em theses days, they sold out so bad, i love their old stuff, bit like no doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Green Day are class. Although I did prefer there older stuff. I still have there first mainstream release lying about. 1039 smoothed out slappy hours. Great. Was a bit rough but some catchy jingles in there!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 SmileyOReardon

I'm so glad that the punk purists who used to rail on Green Day for selling out have grown up and sold out themselves so these guys can be left alone to do what they do best which is write great music. "American Idiot" could have been overtly political in a cheesy diss Bush kind of way like that terrible Beastie Boys track that I can't remember the name of. Instead, Green Day rips into middle America because after all, it's not Bush that's the problem, it's the scary people that voted for Bush that are the problem. You know the type: watching the world go by through the gates of their suburban castles, screaming into cell phones, stuffing McDonald's in their fat faces and chasing it all down with Paxil and Prilosec to keep the vomit from spilling across their new Nike tennis shoes. What the hell is more "punk" (whatever that's supposed to mean anymore and can somone please tell me?) than being handed a Grammy by the establishment you've just wiped your ass with? Call them what you want. No one with a lick of sense is going to care one way or another.

Eddie

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

^ word ^

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭skapunkkeith

they are not punk, or pop punk, they are punk rock, which is a sound they invented, but other than that they should not be put into any genre as they are origional

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

they are not punk, or pop punk, they are punk rock, which is a sound they invented, but other than that they should not be put into any genre as they are origional
    :confused: Green day invented punk rock?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

I thought Busted did? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

To be fair, they did play a large part in inventing/sculpting/moulding* modern punk rock. Green Day have been going since '89 anyway. The transition from classic punk to modern punk pretty much took place between '83 and '90. Before Green Day there weren't many bands with similar styles. The Descendents are the main one that spring to mind. By today's standards it's pop punk, but it wasn't all that popular back then. I wouldn't say Green Day invented punk rock, but after the birth of modern punk they guided it to what it is now. Or what it was when they drifted away from it.

(*I have no idea what I'm talking about.)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

hehe does that mean Pansy Division also were the fathers of punk rock

Eh... assuming you're talking about Joy Division...? What have you got against them?

no pansy divison, they used to tour with green day at the very start for ages

Ah, ok. I've never heard of them. Continue...

well if green day played a role in creating modern punk rock...pansy division would also in theory influenced the same people, but i can't see their music really in modern punk...they were...em... colourful

Well maybe they weren't very influential...

• Advertisement

indeed i dont think they were...great band tho, listen to them and ya cant help but smile

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Lady Jane!

Wat really annoys me is dat peop are nw likin Green Day just coz of da Americal Idiot album nd dnt ave a clu bout da old stuff! Half of da peop I no who 'like' Green Day have never heard of Basket Case or Minority or ne of da classics!! It sucks 4 da old veterans! :p

Lady Jane! wrote:
    Wat really annoys me is dat peop are nw likin Green Day just coz of da Americal Idiot album nd dnt ave a clu bout da old stuff! Half of da peop I no who 'like' Green Day have never heard of Basket Case or Minority or ne of da classics!! It sucks 4 da old veterans! :p
    Oh. Minority is a classic now?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

omFg chk me spelng y0!

3L3eT!
    www.dictionary.com for alternative version of the above post...

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭cr

They came from punk! they started at punk clubs even joined the new wave conspiracy to **** up woodstocks 20th anaversary( <-- bad spelling probly)for the hippies! )
    ok they music doent sound punk now but punk inst just about the music its a way of life!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 st_jimmy

Boulevard of Broken Dreams is what drew basically all of Ireland towards Green Day. This whole thing about POP is nonsense. Are QOTSA gonna become stoner pop rock? I'm happy for green day getting the credit they deserve, even though half there fans only know Good Riddance and Basketcase and think their first album is dookie!

I know this is off topic but why don't green day ever start a gig with panic song?

st_jimmy wrote:
    half there fans only know Good Riddance and Basketcase and think their first album is dookie!

I know this is off topic but why don't green day ever start a gig with panic song?
    Well... at the gig in the Ambassador when they did play a few pre dookie songs a load of people from the front took the opportunity to take a break or get a drink. It's not surprising that they don't play songs like that anymore, nor could you blame them for not playing them when it's pretty clear that most people don't want to hear them.

Never mind Panic Song, what happened to Going To Pasalacqua...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Anarchist

They were never Punk in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Your opinion. I think they are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Anarchist

You are under 21 I bet, you would'nt have a clue what real Punk is, no offence like and er guess it is my opinion ;)

Advertisement