Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom are Charging for going over cap!!!

Options
  • 06-02-2005 5:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hey, word of warning, eircom are charging for going over the cap

I received a bill on friday for 580 euro, i went waaay over, almost 40gbs in december. so be careful, its the new year and new rules for eircom! has anyone else gotten a bill yet!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Anyone know how much per MB/GB they're charging over the limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

3c/mb is what the contract says afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

And is everyone sure they're charging back months?

Cos they told us in the store when we signed up they'd e-mail us if we were approaching our limit. The e-mail address is my mothers so I'm sure she'd have told me if they'd emailed her.

So is everyone sure they're not just starting to charge from now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Moriarty wrote:
    3c/mb is what the contract says afaik.

Thats right. I checked the eircom store leaflets a while back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Infini wrote:
    Thats right. I checked the eircom store leaflets a while back.
    3.6c including VAT to be precise.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

hope iol don't follow suit too, i was 10.5gb over last month. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭apeking

Got bill last tuesday and wasnt charged, dl 32G in Jan and 29G in Dec on my 8G cap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

I go over the 4GB cap regularly and got my bill last week, no additional charges. I'm pretty sure eircom ain't charging for going over the cap, nobody I know has been charged either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Got my bill last week too nowt on it, my stats show no activity for last 5 months when i have gone over it but took screenie of stats in case they change. plead ignorance :)

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

apeking wrote:
    Got bill last tuesday and wasnt charged, dl 32G in Jan and 29G in Dec on my 8G cap
    It seems that if you are on the lower packages you are more likely to get charged. It probably depends on the amount you go over 40GB is 10 times the 4GB cap so they may have decided to charge realsubzero because he is on the lower package and broke the cap by a massive amount ( if he is on the lower package ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭realsubzero

yeah im on the lower package, i actually got a letter a few months ago telling me that they were changing the packages and they were switching me to the 8g package but it never happened and im still only paying the 39.99 a month. i will get my scanner going and i will upload a picture of my bill

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Ouch... I remember my parents getting a large phone bill after I ahd a few 5 hour+ conversations witha girl I was chatting up (I rang her on an 088 phone...). I thought that was bad but thats really nasty...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

this bytes the big one, eircom already charge too much for very little and now this :mad: . 4GB is so hard to stay under.
    you can check your eircom limit here for anyone who doesnt no how?

http://159.134.118.172/index.html

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

any word on there being an upgrade of the caps by eircom? they have been upping the caps about every 8 months since they launched broadband, first 3gb, then 4gb and then 8gb last february but its now a year since that upgrade so we should be in for an increase soon?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

if eircom dont comply with increased caps/speeds soon looks like i'll be off to 2mb broadband for €35 a month, line passed for it and all:) http://www.smarttelecom.ie/products/broadband/faq.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭tonky

Disregard - already been discussed in IrelandOffline.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

may be a stupid question but can you go over the eircom cap by playing games?

i think the home starter cap is 1 GB?

this was discussed before but i cant find it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

It's 4 gigs down and 1 gig up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭realsubzero

has anyone else been charged or am i the only unlucky sod so far!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

apeking wrote:
    are you on IOLBB+ apeking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 jokerboy

grimloch wrote:
    may be a stupid question but can you go over the eircom cap by playing games?

i think the home starter cap is 1 GB?

this was discussed before but i cant find it

Your download cap is anything you do on the net, Webpages / E-mail / Games / streaming music etc...

vibe666 wrote:
    are you on IOLBB+ apeking?
    Nope i'm on eircom

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

apeking wrote:

The reason Eircom are charging is because of people like you who deliberatly break the rules and f_uck it up for everyone. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

The reason Eircom are charging is because of people like you who deliberatly break the rules and f_uck it up for everyone. :mad:

and it's because of people like you that eircom and all isps in Ireland f_uck everyone

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

So what you're saying is people who go over the cap are justified and are teaching the ISP's a lesson, yes?

The reality is people are enagaging in breach of contract which could lead to civil action, knowingly.

I'm not great lover of any ISP and high prices, crappy products...but individuals who go over the cap make everyone suffer in the end and make a bad service even worse by eating up all the available bandwidth.

The right course of action is to use people power to get a better BB service in Ireland and use our buying power to move to another ISP until Eircom finally offer something in line with Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

The right course of action is to use people power to get a better BB service in Ireland and use our buying power to move to another ISP until Eircom finally offer something in line with Europe.
    You need to move to an ISP that doesn't rely on Eircom's wholesale 'Bitstream' product. This wholesale product is contended at 48:1 and 24:1 for the consumer products, more or less forcing the ISP to have caps or else have everyone suffer slow speeds. ISPs that use this product include IOL, UTV, Netsource, Digiweb DSL and, of course, Eircom.

ISPs that don't rely on this would be wireless, cable (NTL, Chorus) and those operating under local loop unbundling.

Unfortunately changing from one ISP to another doesn't necessarily put pressure on Eircom to do anything about contention ratios if those ISPs are forced to use those contention ratios.

and it's because of people like you that eircom and all isps in Ireland f_uck everyone

I'm sorry, i'll stop cause u asked so nicely

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

The reality is people are enagaging in breach of contract which could lead to civil action, knowingly.

No they aren't. Go and actually read the contract.
    I'm not great lover of any ISP and high prices, crappy products...but individuals who go over the cap make everyone suffer in the end and make a bad service even worse by eating up all the available bandwidth.

You don't know what you're talking about.

If you come back with more FUD and nothing to back it up, expect a ban without any further warning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

20 gb over the cap last month i got my bill and no extra charge :)

Advertisement