Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mock-up drawing of custom job.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Have you thought about getting a flame maple veneer and dying it trans black?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

No, I'm sure the Samurai design is definetly the way to go.
    Anyway, I don't like flame maple. Quilted or nothing.

Fair enough. Just giving you options...

Thanks man, but I've decided on the basic design idea, I've just got to refine it more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

I like it man, i like it a lot actually.
    I would go with the samurai character although i would perhaps rethink the blood splatter - try a design without it, might work.

The only thing i would add is some kind of a logo or signature on the headstock and (perhaps) some fretboard inlays - i love shark inlays but they might take away from the body graphics...

Other than that ==> :cool:

• Advertisement

Ancient1 wrote:
    I like it man, i like it a lot actually.
    I would go with the samurai character although i would perhaps rethink the blood splatter - try a design without it, might work.

I've already 2 designs without the blood splashes, 1 with the character on his own, one with the character and the Kanji. It simply does not work.
    Ancient1 wrote:
    The only thing i would add is some kind of a logo or signature on the headstock and (perhaps) some fretboard inlays - i love shark inlays but they might take away from the body graphics...

Yeah, no idea on the logo, but as for inlays, no no no no!

Fair enough - it's just that i love all things black and white. If you keep the red to a minimum it'll be good imo.

As for the inlays - why not?

Why not try something with similar character, something minimalistic for the headstock?

Blank ebony = sex

JEM.PNG

Yum

Ancient1 wrote:
    Fair enough - it's just that i love all things black and white. If you keep the red to a minimum it'll be good imo.

As for the inlays - why not?

Why not try something with similar character, something minimalistic for the headstock?

No, it NEEDS the blood! And to be honest, I hate inlays. A nice, tastefull 12th fret inlay can look nice, but most times, they look horrid, and sharkfins are my most hated of all inlays. I've not thought about the headstock at all really, probably my own custom logo, but no plans just yet.

oh man, dont hate the shark inlays - dont you just drool at the sight of this

jackson_dxmg_f.jpg

• Advertisement

No, no I don't. Now if that was a blank ebony board, it could look respectable.

Ancient1 wrote:
    oh man, dont hate the shark inlays - dont you just drool at the sight of this

http://www.triplerguitar.com/used/pics/jackson_dxmg_f.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/stephenhird/anni2.jpg

Nicer

Fair enough - personally i think that guitar looks like it was designed for Darth Vader himself - awesome :D .

Show us some designs for the headstock when you have them.

Fey - that guitar has a bit too many inlays, imo.

Good job I've a 6 foot Darth Vader cutout in my bedroom then :D

I will indeed Ancient... Probably do a few more mockups tonight aswell.
    feylya wrote:

Urgh!

Young folk these days :o

feylya wrote:
    Young folk these days :o

You said it yourself man:
    feylya wrote:
    Blank ebony = sex

I know but I still think that's a gorgeous guitar with a damned fine inlay.

Gonna be doing something like that on my new case I reckon. Frosted persprex, blue neon, go faster stripes, spoiler. Rapih!

:D:D

(check Morbid Angel's Covenant for Ancient1 - it doesnt refer to my age ;) )

(damn you're fast....)

Ancient1 wrote:
    (damn you're fast....)

You have no idea :(

• Advertisement

feylya wrote:
    Gonna be doing something like that on my new case I reckon. Frosted persprex, blue neon, go faster stripes, spoiler. Rapih!

Yeah, just like those boy racers sticking neon lights on their Fiat Puntos.

I believe that was my point...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I think it will work on a finished guitar, let's face it, it's going to be hard to tell if the blood works or not until you actually paint the guitar. Personally I'd go with a more crimson shade of red but as you said, your pic is just a mock up. The character could work but I feel it's a little cluttered too.

Ok, here's another mockup I did, this time using Toshiro Mifune in the classic film Yojimbo, with and without blood, but no text:

ASM_Yojimbo1.jpg
    ASM_Yojimbo2.jpg

If you could do the first one but have it so it could only be seen in certain light, I think it'd look cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

no, the second one, I like the blood

feylya wrote:
    If you could do the first one but have it so it could only be seen in certain light, I think it'd look cool.

No way! I want it clear, bold, and recongisable.

Wow, that rocks.

I prefer this second Samurai dude to the first one - the first one is a bit of a "painting"..(?)..this is the business if you ask me. It looks so good in black and white i would probably leave out the blood. Oh i dont know. Glad i dont have to make that decision :)

Still only playing around with ideas tbh Ancient1, but glad you like it! Seeing as Yojimbo was a black & white movie, leaving out the blood might be something to consider.

Although with that said, the Mummy was black & white, but that didn't stop Kirk Hammet and his guitar.

I really must try it with an original samurai I shall draw myself.

• Advertisement

Although with that said, the Mummy was black & white, but that didn't stop Kirk Hammet and his guitar.

I will save up and get Shamray to make that guitar for me... Oh Yes!

Advertisement