Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mock-up drawing of custom job.

Options
  • 17-01-2005 8:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Well, as you all probably know, I'm talking about buying this from chrisguitars.com:

bcrich-st-project.jpg

It's a BC Rich "Assassin" model, and I'm sure it's a custom shop job as noted by the reversed pointed headstock and the fact that it's neck-through. Although who in their right mind wanted star inlays?

Anyway, here's what I'm thinking of doing with it:

ASM_Samurai5.jpg

Thoughts?

The kanji actually says Samurai, and the headshot painting of the Samurai is of Toshiro Mifune in the film Throne of Blood.

I also did a previous mock-up without the samurai character:

ASM_Samurai2.jpg

Although I felt that this was a pretty incomplete design, just having the word 'Samurai' in Kanji and a couple of bloodsplashes. The samurai character makes it much more of a full motif, and seems to 'fill' the body moreso.

These are pretty rough mock-ups though, and I think the Kanji will be done somewhat more 'Brush-stroke' style for the actual finish.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Personally I think the character clutters it up a bit too much. I think the kanji and the bloodsplashes look great. That said, I like my guitars plain, so it's just my opinion. And again, just a personal thing but I'd have routed it for a second humbucker, not single coils, but that's just me. Looks classy enough though. Nice. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Thats pretty sweet. Who's going to do the sanding/finish etc...

yeah, i don't much care for the character either, although i don't particularly like guitars with pictures on tehm, designs are fine but pictures aren't my thing. But in my opinion, if i was getting a custom job i'd just be a stubborn git and get whatever i want, forget about the rest of us fools and do what you wawnt on your guitar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Personally I think the character clutters it up a bit too much. I think the kanji and the bloodsplashes look great. That said, I like my guitars plain, so it's just my opinion. And again, just a personal thing but I'd have routed it for a second humbucker, not single coils, but that's just me. Looks classy enough though. Nice. :)

You see, the thing is, all my guitars have humbuckers as it is, I've nothing with single coils. If I put 2 humbuckers in there, it wouldn't be that much different from my Virgin, so it would be fairly pointless (Apart from the headstock) and I don't like having guitars that'd all do the same thing, if I'm going to invest in something I want it to be and do something different, rather than just something that just looks different. I'm planning on putting a Duncan JB and 2 DiMarzio Blue Velvets in there, so it'll be extremely distinct from my other guitars, and as such actually be usefull.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭trippertds

Looks quite cool. Any idea on what you're going to do with the pickups though? Route out another space or stick with the one? (EDIT - scratch that!)

• Advertisement

So nobody likes the character? :(
    Thats pretty sweet. Who's going to do the sanding/finish etc...

Me. Although I might likely have to take it to someone else to do the final Laquer.

trippertds wrote:
    Looks quite cool. Any idea on what you're going to do with the pickups though? Route out another space or stick with the one? (EDIT - scratch that!)

Definetly going to route out the space.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Grand so. Haven't heard the blue velvets, but I imagine a bluesy neck tone just from the name that could make for some gorgeous leads. Great project to have though. Love to do something like it myself some time. How much is the blank going to set you back? I trust you're replacing the fretboard with a nice big slab of plain ebony? :)

Grand so. Haven't heard the blue velvets, but I imagine a bluesy neck tone just from the name that could make for some gorgeous leads. Great project to have though. Love to do something like it myself some time. How much is the blank going to set you back? I trust you're replacing the fretboard with a nice big slab of plain ebony? :)

Yeah, the leads are going to be very cool I imagine! It's gonna set me back a mere €120 for the guitar, and whatever shipping. Oh, and I'm certainly replacing the fretboard. Ebony, no inlays. Nothing like it!

Me. Although I might likely have to take it to someone else to do the final Laquer.
    What type of paint are you using? I might make a guitar eventually. My dad can do the lacquer and he has the bandsaws/planers/table routers/sanders too.

• Advertisement

What type of paint are you using? I might make a guitar eventually. My dad can do the lacquer and he has the bandsaws/planers/table routers/sanders too.

Not sure yet, Feylya mentioned a kind of paint to use, which I'll ask again when I actually get the guitar. Suppose I'll cross that road when I get to it, so to speak.

Put a trans black lacquer on it! that would rock. Oh and i dont think the character does anything for it. IMO but its your guitar so...

...... just be a stubborn git and get whatever i want, forget about the rest of us fools and do what you want on your guitar.

this is the way to go Karl, listen to opinions, but disregard the ones you dont like!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Trans black will only work if the wood is decent. I reckon there'll be some filling to do.

It's only a mock-up, remember! Nowhere near finished, so the finished product certainly isn't going to look just like that.

I'm thinking I'll try my hand at drawing an original character, most likely in black and white, as I think the creme colour of the character on the mockup takes away from the overall effect quite a bit. And no, no trans-black.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,536 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Excuse me for being ignorant, but how exactly would you go about painting the design (and character) onto the guitar? Would you actually paint it on yourself, then touch it up with lacquer?

Dammit, must get myself a custon made bass sometime. Hehe, just to annoy people, get the word 'BASS' in big bold writing onto the body.

Karl, what about getting the images of the chinese character, the face, etc, get it printed onto a slef adhisive sticker, sticking it to the guitar, lacquering over it and leveling the lacquer. I reckon it'd look better than what you could do free hand (unless you're a fantastic artist :D )

Naw, I'm actually quite a decent artist, I WILL be painting it on myself. Although I was thinking some stenciling might be cool.

Furry muff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭ExoduS 18.11

I dont know much about guitars but, that deisign doesn't do much for me. I'd say if u are gonna go for the design you have, leave it with only the kayla and tone down the colour of it. Maybe do it in a grey which is only visible in light or something

• Advertisement

I don't think the blood splashes would work if I was to 'Tone down' the colour, or do it in grey.

Yeah the blood splashes are necessary. :cool: You cant spell grey without misspelling gay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

Cool Japanese design. I actually like the first design with the picture of the Samurai better.

I don't like the guitar though. :o

Yeah the blood splashes are necessary. :cool: You cant spell grey without misspelling gay.

...yes...
    But quite right, the blood splashes are 100% essential!
    NotMe wrote:
    I don't like the guitar though.

!
    What's wrong with the guitar!?!?

It's the dodgy carving at the side that annoys me. Looking forward to seeing it when it's stripped.

The guitar is lovely, neck thru i presume? just needs a new board and some sanding. BTW, Kenneth (ha) where are you getting the new fretboard from

feylya wrote:
    It's the dodgy carving at the side that annoys me. Looking forward to seeing it when it's stripped.

I don't think it needs to be stripped, that's a primer coat I believe.

The guitar is lovely, neck thru i presume? just needs a new board and some sanding. BTW, Kenneth (ha) where are you getting the new fretboard from

Yeah, neck through all the way baby!
    As for the new fretboard, I shall be getting it here.

And what's wrong with Kenneth!?

Trust me. Strip it. It'll be fair easier to start again, considering there's quite a bit of bare wood there.

• Advertisement

Yeah, you might be right, I suppose I'll strip it.

Oh, for those who might be interested, this is the picture I worked from for my mock-ups.

Advertisement