Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos thread (Target Shooting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

And for the shotgun people:

Bullet%20-%20Shotgun.jpeg

shotgun-shot-seq-1g.jpg

Some shots from the UCD Open this weekend...

DSCF3729.JPG

DSCF3741.JPG

DSCF3751.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

dscf5294copybu9.jpg

50 yard shooting
    .22lr
    prone no support with iron sights

on the old mans 30year old mossberg:eek:
    3 shot group

can i say drewl.....:D :D:D

by far the best of the day
    the others were ammm... not so nice about an inch to 1.5"( and no i did not miss with the third bullet thats been pulled already)

this group out preforms my new cz with a 20x scope on it
    dads got alot of swips about wasting money now:o :o:o

• Advertisement

this group out preforms my new cz with a 20x scope on it
    It's always the nut behind the butt that's the important bit ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

same nut thou:(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Sparks wrote:
    I wish I had a camera that would do that rrpc, it was something like a 3 nanosecond exposure time.

My brother did some work with lightbulbs and an air rilfe years ago that was pretty cool and effective. You can rig clever automatic switches from tin foile that fire the flash and camera an the right moment. The projectile cause the 2 sheets of tin foile to make contact closing a circuit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

A couple of photos taken at Rathdrum on Sunday during the test event.
    DownRange.JPG
    Looking downrange from behind the firing point. If you look closely at the shooters monitor you can see the mark in the 10 ring from their last shot!
    Monitor.JPG
    A shot of the audience monitor showing the scores and fall of shots. The diagrams with the triangle in the corner denote a competitor firing sighting shots. This was taken after the competition was over and some people wanted to shoot some more, hence the sighters.

And here's a scan of a scorecard from the test. Scorecard's mine btw, and my exuse is that I haven't shot in over six months and was running the comp at the same time. Concentration levels were not at optimum :(
    scorecard.jpg

• Advertisement

Ouch rrpc. Four clicks over and you'd have picked up an easy ten to fifteen points :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

is that bad, they all look ok to me. Well that's from a hunters eyes, so they all look like kill shots :)

Clicks schmicks!, mine's a 20 click sight, so 4 would have got me nowhere. Problem wasn't the sights though, my neck started to hurt like hell after 40 shots (lack of practice) and I just couldn't hold my position anymore. The last 10 shots were sheer agony, and I just wanted them gone :eek:

It didn't help that I'd forgotten to raise my cheekpiece either. Remembered when I was putting the rifle back in its case :D

Vegeta wrote:
    is that bad, they all look ok to me. Well that's from a hunters eyes, so they all look like kill shots :)
    Yeah, see, this is where those charges of snobbery come from for ISSF shooters - we look at those groups and go round kicking ourselves for a week over them...

rrpc wrote:
    mine's a 20 click sight
    So's mine - I thought I was the only one daft enough to ask for the 20 click sight :D
    If I knew when I was buying it what I know now, I'd have gotten the 10 click sight and saved the cash!

Sparks wrote:
    If I knew when I was buying it what I know now, I'd have gotten the 10 click sight and saved the cash!
    I used to have a 10 click sight on the old rifle, and found it a bit of a nuisance at 25 yards. One click in either direction always seemed to drop me on either side of the white dot, but never in the middle :mad:

That's why I got the 20 click one. I can understand the problems at longer ranges, but as most of my shooting was at 25 yard, I reckon it was worth it.

Anyway what do you think of the show so far?, and when will you be down to play?

rrpc wrote:
    I used to have a 10 click sight on the old rifle, and found it a bit of a nuisance at 25 yards. One click in either direction always seemed to drop me on either side of the white dot, but never in the middle :mad:
    That's why I got the 20 click one. I can understand the problems at longer ranges, but as most of my shooting was at 25 yard, I reckon it was worth it.
    :D
    See, that's what I was thinking too, but then I realised that the dot's 1mm wide, if even that, and the point of impact will be in a circle that's around 4mm in diameter if you have the best of batch-tested ammo, even at 25yds, and your positional and other changes add to that, and pretty soon a 10 click sight is looking extravagant. 20 might be handy if you were shooting out to 100 metres or so, but I think we bought bought more than we needed!
    Anyway what do you think of the show so far?, and when will you be down to play?
    I'm impressed, it looks neat, and it's a wonderful investment for the club's future. I'm not sure whether you've lost too much challange in the 25yd game by going from the ten-bull to the single-bull (actually, how will you shoot in 25yd postal matches now?); but I'll be down soon after the colours match to give it a try, probably with a rake of DURC shooters in tow. Just to see how the kids do with the video games, you understand :D

Sparks wrote:
    I'm impressed, it looks neat, and it's a wonderful investment for the club's future. I'm not sure whether you've lost too much challange in the 25yd game by going from the ten-bull to the single-bull
    That's a challenge I'm very happy to lose :D The single bull is what we're supposed to be training for, and handicapping ourselves with varying sight pictures, shifting around on the floor for each shot and having to jump up every ten shots to change cards we can do without.
    actually, how will you shoot in 25yd postal matches now?
    A lot cheaper! All the scores in one DL envelope for starters. I have already been in contact with the UCESSA about this, and it seems they're open to the idea. AFAIK Dungannon have video games as well.
    I'll be down soon after the colours match to give it a try, probably with a rake of DURC shooters in tow. Just to see how the kids do with the video games, you understand
    I'm sure they're well practised already, and sure we're all kids when it comes to new toys :D

We have to do some small adjustments (wiring etc.) to get the system up and running for 10m Air, so don't think we're all about target rifle anymore either! We will have one separate system on the Air Rifle range (some bits to buy for that yet), so people can practice there when the other range is being used.

rrpc wrote:
    That's a challenge I'm very happy to lose :D The single bull is what we're supposed to be training for, and handicapping ourselves with varying sight pictures, shifting around on the floor for each shot and having to jump up every ten shots to change cards we can do without.
    Well, yes and no. The hopping about in short order (and you guys always did it far too fast anyway - 7 minutes compared to 15 in the NSRA matches! :D ) tended to test your ability to shift and check your natural POA quickly and well. Outdoors, that's a whole other ball game and there we should be single-bull all the way from the first day's plinking to the Games. I think it's down to what your focus is - I was always more thinking of the ISSF 50m match than the NSRA 50m or the NSRA 25yd match, so I always thought of them as training (or as a stop-gap for when we couldn't afford ISSF targets for the 50m game); but others would see them as an end in themselves, so they'd think of it differently.
    A lot cheaper!
    :D
    All the scores in one DL envelope for starters. I have already been in contact with the UCESSA about this, and it seems they're open to the idea. AFAIK Dungannon have video games as well.
    Excellent! So more ROI shooters in the UCESSA postal next year then?
    (And can you email the scores on up for even faster results processing?)
    I'm sure they're well practised already, and sure we're all kids when it comes to new toys :D
    Well... yes :D They've been focussed on the air for the colours match though, so it'll be a while before smallbore scores come back up.
    We have to do some small adjustments (wiring etc.) to get the system up and running for 10m Air, so don't think we're all about target rifle anymore either! We will have one separate system on the Air Rifle range (some bits to buy for that yet), so people can practice there when the other range is being used.
    Excellent. Be nice to see RRPC coming into the 10m scene again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Sparks wrote:
    And for the shotgun people:

Bullet%20-%20Shotgun.jpeg

shotgun-shot-seq-1g.jpg

Video of shot-string. This film clip is shot looking at the charge as it approaches the camera. Top of page center right, under the B&P letterhead - continuous loop.

http://www.bandpusa.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

They are as lethal as a .22 when it comes to vermin... Air rifles are extremely dangerous... and no you definately wouldn't like to be shot by one... ;)

i got shot in the ass with one from about 15 yards away once. needless to say i couldnt sit down proper for a day or two!!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Sparks wrote:
    Some shots from the UCD Open this weekend...

UCD range certainly hasn't changed much since last time I shot there.

(Has it really been four years? Ack...)

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Vegeta wrote:

They look good to me as well. From a hunting point of view my prey would not have escaped.

I appreciate the target shooter is looking for precision placement so I also see your frustration. When I zero my rifles I also look for precision placement as I want a quick and humane kill. It frustrates me when I cannot be exact.

TJ911...

As promised, here are more photos and some descriptions of the new target pistol. For those who don't know, it's a Pardini SP New - not a very imaginative name :). This is the one with the mechanical trigger. I chose not to get the electronic trigger because (a) I'm not sure about it's reliability and (b) it's about €200 more!

Right hand side.
    Rightside.jpg

Left hand side. The magazines have an ejector built in, which aids extraction. They are also designed to give a flawless feed.
    Lefthand.jpg

Trigger from the left, right and underside. The amount of adjustment here is unbelievable. There are six different adjustment screws, and the trigger itself is on a thread. All adjustments can be carried out without any dismantling necessary.
    Trigger2.jpg

Trigger.jpg

Trigger1.jpg

The rearsight has fairly large windage and elevation screws, and a helpful diagram in case you forget which way you want to go. You can actually adjust them by hand (with some loss of skin if you're not careful :D), or with a large bladed screwdriver or small coin. 1 click is 5mm.
    Rearsight.jpg

In addition to windage and elevation, you can also (using a tool provided) adjust the width of the aperture. A very expensive option on target rifles ;)
    RearsightAperture.jpg

Finally, dismantling the entire action can be carried out by removing the hex screw arrowed in the picture. The action comes in three parts: the barrel and shroud, the bolt, and the recoil spring and firing pin. Behind that plate at the front are the recoil damping weights (up to six of them) which are held by springs. You can reverse the positioning of the springs to either use the recoil damping or just have weight. You can also get tungsten weights to effectively double the weight if you want. The default weight is about 110gr
    Dismantlingscrew.jpg

How does it shoot?

Very nicely indeed. It's surprisingly light compared to other target pistols I've tried such as the Walther GSP and the FWB AW93. At just 1060gr it's up to 200gr lighter. This does not translate into recoil, as the pistol is inceredibly smooth when fired and shows very little recoil. With practice, I'd expect you could be back on target very quickly indeed. You certainly can hold it much longer on the target making it very good for the rapid fire elements of the ISSF standard pistol competition.

The finish is excellent and everything is very smooth and polished. The walnut grip almost looks like plastic, so smooth is the finish. The ejector works very well and you are in no danger of getting hit by empties. Cleaning is a doddle due to the simple disassembly procedure. So far after about two hundred rounds, it hasn't misfired or jammed once (not that I'd expect it to, mind :)).

Inserting the mag isn't that strightforward though, you have to angle it slightly forward of the magazine well to get a smooth insertion and the action lock mechanism (a small button on the base of the barrel shroud just forward of the magazine well) requires you to use two hands to lock it. There is no action release lever (like the Walther, AW93 or IZH), you just pull the action grips back a fraction and release to load and cock it, so you can't do that with one hand either.

I'm not complaining though. Just pointing out where it differs from other makes/models, and perhaps others may find them a little too quirky for their taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sandy22

If you haven't seen this already you may find it of interest.

http://www.karlslundesport.dk/files/funktionstest/pardini%20sp/pardini_sp_sk_10_fram_ue.m1v

Sandy.

Sandy22 wrote:
    If you haven't seen this already you may find it of interest.

http://www.karlslundesport.dk/files/funktionstest/pardini%20sp/pardini_sp_sk_10_fram_ue.m1v

Sandy.

I have actually Sandy. I looked at a good few of those, especially at the ones of the new Walther SSP which I had toyed with the idea of buying for a while. (the price and the mixed reports put me off).

Interesting to see how the action 'bounces' a little when returning. When you cock it, it feels a bit two-stagey in that there's a lower resistance for the first half of its travel back and then a stronger spring comes in. There's only one spring behind the bolt, so the other one must be in the frame itself.

As an aside: An Post must think Switzerland is in the EU as there was no VAT or duty when it came in :D .

Delivered to my door by the postman. (except I wasn't in and had to collect it the next day at the Post Office).

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

This isn't mine, but it's the one I shoot with.

DURC's Walther KK200:

IMG_1032.jpg

And here's what happens when you train:

IMG_1043.jpg

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭N.O.I.P.

Hey I didn't know you could buy targets with holes already in them, sheesh and here I've been doing it the hard way :D

Seriously though Nice shooting Tex

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

N.O.I.P. wrote: »
    Hey I didn't know you could buy targets with holes already in them, sheesh and here I've been doing it the hard way :D

Nah, you buy them with no holes and put them in after. It's really easy, just search ebay for ".22 hole punch". :D
    N.O.I.P. wrote: »
    Seriously though Nice shooting Tex

Thanks, don't know if the two leftmost targets will be scored as 10s or 9s, but it's certainly an improvement on my shooting over the last while. I guess training does work after all. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭N.O.I.P.

I'd imagine 10s they are within the centre ring.

I really will have to call out and watch a competition some time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

IRLConor wrote: »
    Nah, you buy them with no holes and put them in after. It's really easy, just search ebay for ".22 hole punch". :D

Thanks, don't know if the two leftmost targets will be scored as 10s or 9s, but it's certainly an improvement on my shooting over the last while. I guess training does work after all. :)
    I'd be more worried about top right, shot 4. nailed on 9. :D

Advertisement