Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incidents in cinemas

Options
  • 07-01-2005 10:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I'm thinking about writing an article on what cinemas do to deal with trouble makers in cinemas. I'm interested from hearing from anyone who works in a cinema on what guidelines they're given by their employers.

Also I'm wondering if anyone has stories about incidents, assaults etc. that have taken place when patrons themselves tried to get people to remain quiet during a screening.

I propose we shoot people who answer calls during a film.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Hmmmm...

Years ago a friend of mine brought a girl to the cinema. A guy we know that works there gave them a free box of sweets to share. When the girl put her hand in she pulled out a condom. My friend didn't know what to say or do. All he could do was laugh.

I know it isn't the type of incident you are looking, but what the hell :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭ronano

This post has been deleted.

You should of gone out and got a security guard or sorted out yourself :D

I worked in the uci,walked into toliets to check if they were clean blah blah, guy in a cubicle with a needle in his arm passed out. I left him checked if anywhere else was occupied took oine of the cones p[ut it outside the door went to manager,ambulance was called i just stood outside the toliet til it was all over to make sure no one went in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

There was a gagle of eejits in the back row of Resident Evil: Apocalypse and someone went to get a staff member after a while. I'm not sure if they were taken out a back exit or something but he at least sat near them to let them know he had his eye on them. It seemed to work.

P.S. This was in UGC Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

in fairness if you were to pick a film for that to happen during.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

ronano wrote:

I worked in the uci,walked into toliets to check if they were clean blah blah, guy in a cubicle with a needle in his arm passed out. I left him checked if anywhere else was occupied took oine of the cones p[ut it outside the door went to manager,ambulance was called i just stood outside the toliet til it was all over to make sure no one went in.

junkie scum,that kind of incident makes me sick to my stomach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Evilution

I've got an interesting one. Went to see The Passion of the Christ in the UGC in dublin when it came out first. There wasn't many people in the cinema at the time which I like so I sat back to enjoy. However, near the end of the trailers, 5 tracker-knackers and their respective wans came into the cinema and sat right fukkin' beside me on the back row (where I always sit). Anyway, the movie started and the usual $hite began, phones, talking etc etc. However, as the movie picked up and went on to show jesus being tortured and led to be crucified, I seen something funny. The skanger girls began to cry and 2 or 3 or them left the theatre for a bit, went to the jacks or whatever. They came back after a bit, still a bit teary-eyed (who wasn't during that movie) but it got stranger still. No word of a lie here folks but 2 of the MALE SKANGERS actually started whimpering and cried a bit too. I'm not guessing here, these guys were sitting right fukking beside me!!!! They blubbed for a minute or two and then composed themselves. After that there wasn't a peep out of any of them for the rest of the movie!!!! I'll never forget that day.
    Apart from that I witnessed 2 rednecks having a shouting match during Fahrenheit 9:11 when I was in the USA over the summer. That was gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Have had two fights so far with tossers in the cinema who wouldn't shut up. Always fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭ronano

It's always so strange when scumbags go to a movie which is some arty bs or subtitled french blah blah,what possesed you? and before someone jumps down my throat,come on they are scumbags! and junkie sacum was annoying merely for people thought i should of had some sympathy for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Interesting stories. I'm looking for times when things escalated - cops were called etc.

damien.m - how did these two fights happen? Did others start it with you when you tried to get them to be quiet? Could you post the details or PM them to me if you're willing to talk about it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

What excatly is it you want to know?

People are people and get out of control for the same reasons in cinemas as they do in pubs or at gigs. Cuz people are silly. I work in a UCI and it totally depends on the situation.

Like the one time two junkies starting having sex in the front row, while the Ring was on, I wasnt working in the cinema at the time. A manager just came the gaurds were rang, and they were asked to leave.

Or another time when there was a scummer tryna sneak into the movie, he said he gave the tix to his three year old son, who lost em. So he started giving out to the kid. It was obvious he was tryna shift the blame. But ... onto his kid like. So, they were kicked, and I ya could do was feel sorry for the son.

Though I will say to anyone having hassle with people in a cinema, just go tell a staff member, there are security gaurds for a reason. They'll generally be dealt with fairly quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

ronano wrote:

One better, a guy I know was a bouncer in the IFI (then IFC) he found a guy OD'ding in the gents and started mouth to mouth resuitation, during which the junkie puked in my mates mouth, and then died.

My friend spent 6 months waiting to get the full all clear from all diseases Hep C and HIV.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

mycroft wrote:
    One better, a guy I know was a bouncer in the IFI (then IFC) he found a guy OD'ding in the gents and started mouth to mouth resuitation, during which the junkie puked in my mates mouth, and then died.

My friend spent 6 months waiting to get the full all clear from all diseases Hep C and HIV.
    That's a nice story...

Mine are mostly me muttering "Ssh!" The most vocal I got was, when some girl was blathering away on her mobile, causing me to turn around and say "Could you get off the phone please!"

My favourite witnessed incident was when there was a group of scumbags being disruptive. Some girl got up and called in the bouncer. The scumbags,
    meanwhile, had moved places thinking to fool her. Her boyfriend however promptly showed the security guard where they had gone to and they were kicked out to the sound of scattered applause. That was good, as was someone in the cinema telling a chattering group of twits (6 rows behind him) "would you ever shut the fu*k up!"

But nothing violent/dramatic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭test999

OT: That would be an interesting poll...
    Q) Would you give mouth to mouth to someone who is obviously an OD'ing junkie?

I've only had trouble with people kicking the back of my seat.
    I've found that turning around and saying "excuse me, blah blah blah"
    is seen as being a softie.
    I've found that turning around and saying "oi, don't kick my seat again"
    always works, even with proles.

I've never seen security at the liffey valley enema complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I was in the Capitol, Cork, recently waiting to watch "National Treasure". It was on in the main screen, a fairly large room, but there were very few people at it. I was checking my phone was on silent, when some young lad ran down the aisle I was sitting in, and vaulted over my legs, and ran on. He had a buddy following him so I stuck out my leg as the second lad hopped over. It was a bit evil..

test999 wrote:
    OT: That would be an interesting poll...
    Q) Would you give mouth to mouth to someone who is obviously an OD'ing junkie?.

Not after hearing that story, no.

I have walked across a cinema to lean over someone on a mobile call to shout "shut up moron", scared the crap out of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Evilution wrote:
    I've got an interesting one. Went to see The Passion of the Christ in the UGC in dublin when it came out first. There wasn't many people in the cinema at the time which I like so I sat back to enjoy.

That reminds me .... I was at an afternoon showing of PotC one day and there was at most 15 max at the screening. However, about 2 minutes into the film a group of around 20-30 secondardy school students (LeavingCerts I'd guess, uniformed but no teacher with em so I think they were just mitching) mosey into the cinema and start making a hell of a racket. As events proceed one of them tries to amuse the rest of the group by darting round the cinema 'blessing' everyone there by making that crusifix-gesture with his hand whilst saying 'peace be with you'. Now it's a while since I've gone to mass but I don't think that's how its done? ... anyway ... he does this to about 10 people and I try to just ignore him but inevitably comes to my turn to be 'blessed'.

'Peace be with you' says yer man with a smug grin on his face.

Now like I said I was just trying to ignore the fella but like a flash and out of nowhere I said in a gentle tone : 'Go back to your seat and shut up or you'll be the one in ****ing pieces.'

I was expecting a bit of lip or some retaliation from the guy but he just turned white and slunked back to his seat. Funnily enough within seconds of him rejoining his herd the rest of em had shut up too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

mycroft wrote:
    Not after hearing that story, no.

I have walked across a cinema to lean over someone on a mobile call to shout "shut up moron", scared the crap out of him.
    See girls can get away with that stuff. No guy's going to start on a woman and no woman would do anything more than call the shusher a female dog or give her the finger. If a guy did that to a woman people would think it too violent and if the talker was a guy the guy would start something, especially if he was a skanger (the talker).

Hold on. Is mycroft a guy? No offense, I actually don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭midship

I went to see one of the bonds a few years back in UGC a chinese bloke answered his phone, a guy shouts "shut up of ill ram it up your..." the guy keep on talking ,the other guy walks over knocks the phone out of his hand and punches him! :eek:

Then he went back to his seat the guy just sat there, didnt ring the garda or tell cinema staff!!!!!! That was that :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭smokingman

I was in the Cinema in Rathmines a few years ago when the Exorcist was re-released and just when the head turning started and things started getting crazy a dog (the Marmaduke size and type) ran into the cinema aisle, sat down and started watching the movie barking and howling when the she-bitch started screaming "F**K ME, F**K ME"....

very funny indeed it was......

He went quiet when the priests were in the scene though...bit spooky!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

incident in the States during the summer ::

saw AvP the night it opened in Jacksonville. Jam-packed screen. Before the movie even starts, some black folk decide to amuse themselves by being feckin' loud etc.

continues through the previews and on into the movie. Meanwhile cinema staff have moved in both sides of the screen at the back and are watching these people.

few minutes later, armed security come in a literally haul them out among their whinging etc to a loud applause from the rest of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mobile04

anyone remember the 80s in the city
    the ambassador parnell street.
    was watching the star wars trilogy there in the summer of 1984
    and this guy up on the balcony starts hurling popcorn down on everyone.
    litrally the whole bucket .
    nowadays i got to go to the uci and listen to mobiles going off every ten seconds #

really gets up my nose..........

does anyone on here remember the cinema in inchiore ?
    id love to know the name of it. i went to school in emmet road around the corner.
    ahh the good auld days
    2 films for 1 pound 50. lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Milkman Dan

i was at a film in the ucg, and some guy kept making comments during the flick to make his mates laugh. a various times he said 'boring', 'duh', 'this film is ****' at that sort of thing.
    so anyway a guy with a torch comes in and everybody showed exactly where he was sitting and he got taken out, dropping his popcorn as he went.
    heh heh...

youd feckin think for 2 hours people could just shut it?
    me brother was just on the phone to me .he worked in the uci in england for a while

i was telling him about this post he said this african student was sleeping in the cinema for weeks after a night shift before he went to collage. you gotta laugh .......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

I was in the Cinema in Rathmines a few years ago when the Exorcist was re-released and just when the head turning started and things started getting crazy a dog (the Marmaduke size and type) ran into the cinema aisle, sat down and started watching the movie barking and howling when the she-bitch started screaming "F**K ME, F**K ME"....

Im nearly after p**sing myself laughing here in work when i read that. I would have loved to have seen that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭8bi1ctzegfouva

was in UGC a while back, can't remember what film i was seeing, nice cinema and all, but some of the scum in that place, anyway, back to the story, was watching a film, when some knack-bag's phone rings, of course she picks it up and starts talkign away, then some other skanger shouts over something along the lines of " shut up ya fu(king (unt". to which the one on the phone replies "what ya gonna do about it ya leser*?"
    can't remember what the repky was, but for about 30 secs to a mintue after that everyone in the cinema, approx 50 to 60 people just started shouting at the one on the phone to shut the fu(k up. In hindsight it didn't do much good, as she kept talking, albeit a bit more quietly, but it was still a good laugh for a bit.

* is lesbian shortened spelt leser,lezer or some other way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭8bi1ctzegfouva

not really an incident, but something funny, was watching "open water" in IMC in dun laoghaire, and there was a middle aged woman in front of me with her friend, and this poor woman was scared sh1tless. anytime even a dolphin popped out of the water she would shriek and jump about a foot of her chair, by about half-way through the film i started to laugh when ever she did this, and by the end everyone was laughing, so it kinda ruined the whole tense theme of the film. i felt sorry for her though, as at the end she ran for the door, either because she didn't want people to see her, or she had had an accident. haha, poor woman

i bet the people who own ugc now are kicking them selfs its turned out to be a haven for dipsos junkies and what not

the aldi across the street also dosnt help. i was in there a few weeks ago and saw a girl with a black refuse bag full of empty lager cans
    from aldi no doubht.
    that exorcist story was a goon un alright .

not really an incident, but something funny, was watching "open water" in IMC in dun laoghaire, and there was a middle aged woman in front of me with her friend, and this poor woman was scared sh1tless. anytime even a dolphin popped out of the water she would shriek and jump about a foot of her chair, by about half-way through the film i started to laugh when ever she did this, and by the end everyone was laughing, so it kinda ruined the whole tense theme of the film. i felt sorry for her though, as at the end she ran for the door, either because she didn't want people to see her, or she had had an accident. haha, poor woman

Watching the Matrix revolutions in the savoy and there was just this weird noise during any fight scene. This kind of half hum half click. Near my ears I was convinced there was something wrong with the projector

I realised during the finale it was this eldery woman two rows behind me, and whenever there was on screen violence she would "tut" loudly and scowl. What kind of freak brings there grandma who disapproves of violence to the frigging matrix three? I mean it's not like theres been two other movies to prepare you to accept the fact their may be violence and your old dear may not approve. FFS the first film includes the line, "we'll need guns lots of guns" you were expecting steel magnolias?????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭JoeSchmoe

Went to see the Incredibles last week in the UCI in Coolock, These three girls came in and sat behind us, they were quite young, oldest was probably about 13/14, the others younger, anyway one of the girls had seen the movie before and she thought it would be great to tell her two friends what was going to happen in the movie about 5 seconds before it happens. So after about five minutes of "oh yeah this is deadily the boy says/ does...." "Now he's going to pick up the car and....." I turned around and asked them to be quiet.

They didn't quieten down and they started throwing popcorn at me and giggling and blowing drink at me through their straws, I ignored them for a while but then they started kicking the seats and that was too much. I didn't really want to start giving out to preteen girls so we decided to move seats. I had a quick look around and saw the seats directly behind the girls were free, so moved we did.

How the worm turned, then every few minutes I sprinkled them with a few drops from my drink and when they turned around i acted all innocent, just watching the film. After a few sprinkles one of them started sobbing "all I wanted to do was come watch a film....boo hoo...sob sob"

I felt bad about making a little girl cry....for about two seconds and then the warm glow of smugness took over and we enjoyed the rest of the movie in peace ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement