Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M28 - Cork to Ringaskiddy [advance works pending; 2024 start]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

marno21 wrote: »
    No realistic alternative route in place that wouldn't cause gridlock.

Huge issue with east - west traffic routes in the city.

There's a few very close to the city centre. After that, the old dump blocks a huge chunk of land, meaning the next route is the SRR.

The last is the road through Grange. This road is already burdened with traffic and has inadequate links to both the N27 and N28 at either end. (Carr's Hill junction will be part of N27 link though.

This lack of routes leads to the Douglas flyover being the most heavily trafficked tarmac in Cork. More than even the tunnel. Way more.

Linking the N27 to the new M28 would take all tunnel - airport traffic off the flyover and the kinsale roundabout. I've been told by a Cork Co Co engineer that this is a long term vision. Sadly, there is no suitable junction in the M28 plans to allow for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

mikeym wrote:
    Motorway service area in Ringaskiddy is a surprise, I wonder will it include a shop and restaurant?

Can't beat that burger & a pint for a tenner in the Ferryboat inn for a wet lunch though!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

mikeym wrote: »
    Motorway service area in Ringaskiddy is a surprise, I wonder will it include a shop and restaurant?
    I suspect the description will be larger than the reality.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Victor wrote: »
    I suspect the description will be larger than the reality.

The document said a rest area with toilets, showers etc and possible shop and fuel facilties.

marno21 wrote:
    The document said a rest area with toilets, showers etc and possible shop and fuel facilties.

But sure they could built those in the port facilities for the ro-ro ferry traffic. Although many truckers prefer freshening up onboard the ships as they're a little less communal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

So the nra have no MSA's built from Cork to Dublin, but are building one between Cork and Ringaskiddy?!

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

So the nra have no MSA's built from Cork to Dublin, but are building one between Cork and Ringaskiddy?!

Their thinking has changed (or has been made to change) since the Cork Dublin motorway was built. Rightly so IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Purely to do with the fact that it is a port/container facility at Ringaskiddy so there is a need for a parking area for trucks as they will be waiting around for pick-ups and will need some kind of facilities.
    hytrogen wrote: »
    But sure they could built those in the port facilities for the ro-ro ferry traffic. Although many truckers prefer freshening up onboard the ships as they're a little less communal

It isn't really a ro-ro port though. The trucks wont be going on the ships really as it will be a container port more so that ro-ro.

Ludo wrote:
    It isn't really a ro-ro port though. The trucks wont be going on the ships really as it will be a container port more so that ro-ro.

True only when the Brittany ferries or the Julia ran to the continent. But I meant also for the car carriers as well

Ludo wrote: »
    Purely to do with the fact that it is a port/container facility at Ringaskiddy so there is a need for a parking area for trucks as they will be waiting around for pick-ups and will need some kind of facilities.
    Is that not for the Port to implement? The port is a commercial company and should provide facilities for its clients, not the taxpayers giving the company a subsidy(over and above the good access route)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

You would think so...yes. But the port isn't a private company as far as I know so I guess the money all comes from the same place at the end of the day. Could be completely wrong about that of course as I am guessing.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Is that not for the Port to implement? The port is a commercial company and should provide facilities for its clients, not the taxpayers giving the company a subsidy(over and above the good access route)

Having a public 'MSA' on the M28 for everyone to access would be more justified.

One is planned for the N69/new Foynes road too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Having a public 'MSA' on the M28 for everyone to access would be more justified.

When large numbers of trucks are expected, such as near ports, MSAs are useful - just look at the torn up ground around petrol stations along the Naas dual c. for example, where unlawful truck parking is a problem.

Having a public msa on the M8 would be even better justified...

The port of Cork company is a private company with 2 shareholders, and it paid those 2 shareholders a dividend of half a million according to its last published accounts.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The port of Cork company is a private company with 2 shareholders, and it paid those 2 shareholders a dividend of half a million according to its last published accounts.

Its two shareholders are the Department of Transport and the Minister for Finance!

Limited Company does not mean privately held. The dividend was to the exchequer.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

Has anyone seen the new fencing that has gone up at the port in Ringaskiddy? What is it for? Looks quite vulgar tbh.

Nemanrio wrote: »
    Has anyone seen the new fencing that has gone up at the port in Ringaskiddy? What is it for? Looks quite vulgar tbh.

It's part of the expansion to screen the new internal road. I'd imagine it's to improve security and also give some noise protection for the residents. It is quite stark looking alright.

moyners wrote: »
    It's part of the expansion to screen the new internal road. I'd imagine it's to improve security and also give some noise protection for the residents. It is quite stark looking alright.

Why would they want to screen the internal road?

Nemanrio wrote: »
    Why would they want to screen the internal road?

Because it's supposed to be a inside a secure area? I visited the port in Porto and they've stacked containers because resident were complaining about the visual and noise impact (I didn't see how looking at the side of containers was much better). We also got a tour of their security centre and I remember thinking that the Port in Cork was light-years behind - looks like they're trying to bring it up to modern standards.

moyners wrote: »
    Because it's supposed to be a inside a secure area? I visited the port in Porto and they've stacked containers because resident were complaining about the visual and noise impact (I didn't see how looking at the side of containers was much better). We also got a tour of their security centre and I remember thinking that the Port in Cork was light-years behind - looks like they're trying to bring it up to modern standards.

I remember many years ago you could drive into the deep water berth for a look. I was with my Dad (who has a interest in ships). Miss being able to go in tbh.

• Advertisement

I emailed Simon Coveney in relation to the Dunkettle Interchange & M28 projects and this is the response I received from Paschal Donohue.

At present, TII is assessing how best to progress national projects included in the transport element of the Capital Plan, including the N8/N25 Dunkettle Interchange and the N28 Cork-Ringaskiddy scheme. The timeframe for progressing individiual projects will be decided once that process is completed.

In the interim I understand TII has allocated a total €1m to the N28 Cork-Ringaskiddy scheme in 2016 which will facilitate the planning process which is currently underway

Poster campaign warning of chronic traffic problems in Douglas if the Maryborough slip is closed.

Never seen such nonsense and scaremongering.

This scheme should dramatically improve things.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

There's been so many changes and updates to updates in this scheme that I'd be surprised if any of the residents really understood how traffic will flow through the areas now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/macroom-bypass-and-ringaskiddy-road-on-back-burner-409798.html
    Work will not commence on a Macroom bypass or new Cork-Ringaskiddy road until at least 2022, as priority is being given to upgrading the Dunkettle/Jack Lynch Tunnel interchange.
    Transport Infrastructure Ireland (TII) officials told a Cork County Council delegation that while the Macroom and Ringaskiddy roads were in the capital investment programme (2016-2021), funding had not been allocated and TII had been advised that “expenditure will not ramp up until 2020/2021”.

They said the Dunkettle upgrade was the top priority and TII intended to appoint a contractor in 2018, with a view to work commencing in 2019 or 2020. TII said work on both the Macroom and Ringsaskiddy roads would start sometime after 2021.

TII officials advised any political pressure county councillors could exert to accelerate a budgets increase would be appreciated.

Sinn Fein's Donnchadh O Laoghaire (Cork South Central) brought up the M28 during the topical issues slot in the Dail last Tuesday, for anyone interested: https://www.kildarestreet.com/debates/?id=2016-07-19a.358

The most important road project at present in the region, and they can't even come up with a start date for it. The lack of interest in a project which would yield several times its initial outlay in returns/economic growth and they can't even be arsed building this, let alone large scale projects such as the M20/N22 dualling/N25 dualling. Plenty of money for *cough* other roads *cough* of course.

No recent updates on the project website since either. Perhaps the crew doing the work have realised they have several years to proceed through the planning process and have taken it handy for a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

They can find the money to fund a pointless 9th ship for the Wavy Navy but when it comes to building a much needed motorway it gets put on hold.

6 Factories in the Ringaskiddy area, 15,000 living in Carrigaline, constant traffic jams on a narrow Carrs Hill on both directions.

So much for all the promises when Fine Gael were looking for votes.

The project website at www.n28cork-ringaskiddy.com has been updated.

There are documents on the homepage but I'm not sure if these are new, regarding the Carrs Hill Interchange and a project information leaflet.

One thing I have seen is that the speed limit on the length of the road will be 100km/h.

The following are expected to be published by the year end:

* The final scheme details
    * Motorway order
    * Environmental Impact Statement (EIS)

If funded, this should be well able for a late 2018/early 2019 start.

• Advertisement

One thing I have seen is that the speed limit on the length of the road will be 100km/h.

Ah Cork, where the motorways are 100kmh, and the non motorways are 120

Advertisement